PDA

View Full Version : if i have an HDTV, how do i

charlesrixey
11-23-2007, 11:32 AM
get HD channels to show up?

it should show up automatically, right?

well, maybe my programming here in DC just sucks cause nothing is doing on those channels

Adidas410s
11-23-2007, 11:34 AM
you have to have an HD receiver from your cable/satellite company and you have to have HD service in your programming pkg.

charlesrixey
11-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
you have to have an HD receiver from your cable/satellite company and you have to have HD service in your programming pkg.

well, we've got free service from the apartment complex we are staying in until our house is finished on base

looks like i am just SOL for now, but at least i have my 360

ILS1
11-23-2007, 11:39 AM
If it has a HD tuner built in, yes. If not, you'll need a HD receiver/tuner from your cable/satellite company. Most cable companies have a few FREE HD channels with certain packages. If you just have basic cable, more than likely, you can't pick up the signals without ordering a higher tier cable package and a HD tuner. Then they offer a HD tier package (which is extra a month) which offers more channels in HD. Most Satellite companies, don't offer any FREE HD Channels besides your local channels than you would have to order the HD tier package.

:D :D

TMer25
11-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
get HD channels to show up?

it should show up automatically, right?

well, maybe my programming here in DC just sucks cause nothing is doing on those channels

What brand and model number is it?

Lots of the newer models have "QAM" tuners which is what cable companies use to modulate the HD channels. If yours has this and your apartment complex is giving you digital cable, you should be able to pick up the HD channels they don't charge for.

charlesrixey
11-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
What brand and model number is it?

Lots of the newer models have "QAM" tuners which is what cable companies use to modulate the HD channels. If yours has this and your apartment complex is giving you digital cable, you should be able to pick up the HD channels they don't charge for.

well, i think i'm out of luck, tmer

this 'free' cable' doesn't come with a cable box!

70 channels but no way to change it

TMer25
11-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Technically you don't need a cable box if you have a set with the QAM capability built in. But the point is moot if the complex isn't distributing a digital cable feed. You should try your luck with a set of rabbit ears. You should be able to pick up the basic networks that way at the very least.