PDA

View Full Version : Singletary not going to Baylor

kepdawg
11-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Singletary no longer candidate for Baylor head coach job

05:49 PM CST on Thursday, November 22, 2007

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News
brdavis@dallasnews.com

Mike Singletary is not coming to Baylor.

Singletary said he and Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw talked again Wednesday, and he told McCaw that he was no longer interested in the head football coaching vacancy.

“What happened was we got to a point in the conversation where it just wasn’t going to work,” Singletary said Thursday. “Ian will explain it, but the more we talked about it, the more I knew – and I think he knew – it wasn’t going to work.”

McCaw fired the previous coach, Guy Morriss, on Sunday after the Bears completed a 3-9 season. McCaw then flew out to San Jose, Calif., on Monday along with executive assistant AD Todd Patulski to meet with Singletary.

In Monday’s meeting and again Wednesday, the two talked more about what kind of philosophical approach its going to take to make Baylor a winning team again, Singletary said.

“We never really talked about money,” Singletary said.

“I told Ian that I know what a national championship looks like. I was telling Ian and Todd — and I think I said exactly this — unless you’re talking about doing what it takes to win a national championship, you’re talking to the wrong person.”

So McCaw’s search will continue. The school is interested in Arkansas’ Houston Nutt, Houston’s Art Briles and TCU’s Gary Patterson.

Singletary, a three-time All-American at Baylor and school icon, was considered the one guy who could ignite the program from the get-go. He’s been an assistant coach in the NFL since 2003 but had no college coaching experience.

That fact alone divided the Baylor administration on whether Singletary would have been a good choice.

Singletary still loves Baylor, he said. When asked what it’s going to take to make Baylor competitive again, he paused to think long and hard.

“Ian and Todd have to find the guy that believes in the culture,” Singletary said. “It’s not about X’s and O’s or being a guru. It’s a guy that’s in the mold of Coach [Grant] Teaff, someone who can be an example of dedication and hard work. They have to find that guy.”

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/112307dnsposingletary.2a4b23ba.html)

g$$
11-22-2007, 09:14 PM
I respect Singletary obviously. If Baylor doesn't intend on doing what it takes financially & philosophically to compete at the highest level, then he is better served to bow out now. Baylor must jump in with both feet to have a chance. Football is not like other sports. They have not done that in years for football, but other sports have flourished (women's bball, baseball, tennis, track, etc.). It starts with facilities, $$, & committing to winning the right way. The new football practice facility is a start but it will take much more. Tough road ahead.