PDA

View Full Version : Just in A&M will get Steve Spurrier

CueroDad2006
11-22-2007, 08:18 PM
As a longhorn fan,I just hurd from a buddy that has inside info. that yes Steve Spurrier will be introduced after the season is over as the new A&M coach...............What do you think Ags.?

JJ7997
11-22-2007, 09:00 PM
No matter how much I would like to believe it, I will still wait and see.

g$$
11-22-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm hearing the same but still cautiously optimistic. If he is motivated to recruit, brings a great staff with him, & really embraces the job, then I am all for it.

He would create the much needed buzz & generate lots of interest nationally. We'll see what happens. Should know by early next week.

BwdLion_80
11-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Over a week ago, I heard that Art Briles was in the running. Anyone hear anything about him or what happened?

g$$
11-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
Over a week ago, I heard that Art Briles was in the running. Anyone hear anything about him or what happened?

Just a rumor - he was never on short list. Briles is going to be pursued by Baylor & maybe others though.

CueroDad2006
11-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I'm hearing the same but still cautiously optimistic. If he is motivated to recruit, brings a great staff with him, & really embraces the job, then I am all for it.

He would create the much needed buzz & generate lots of interest nationally. We'll see what happens. Should know by early next week.

Its a done deal............spurrier is the coach......trust me he has already agreed and signed, takes over after the ags are done this season. (will not be released in respect for Fran and his staff.)

g$$
11-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad2006
Its a done deal............spurrier is the coach......trust me he has already agreed and signed, takes over after the ags are done this season. (will not be released in respect for Fran and his staff.)

I've heard the same & posted also. Waiting on final word.

Thanks for the info., good stuff.

JR2004
11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
It'll be fun to see the "Ol Ball Coach" get his rear end handed to him every year by Visor Boy, Macky Mack and the "Tortilla Throwing Classless Clowns."

TexanFan4Life
11-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Spurrier's not much of a rebuilder. He'll do well at A&M (I suspect), because he's got offensive talent in Bennett, Woodson and McGee (although it still remains to be seen if he can blossom into a true pocket passer). Gary Darnell will (hopefully) be relieved of his Defensive Coordinator duties by Spurrier once Steve gets to town. Overall, I don't like the hire..but that's just me. I would have preferred a guy like Ron English, who was on MY short list as a potential Fran replacement. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I feel TAMU needs a young, enthusiastic guy on the sidelines leading them into the future.

kepdawg
11-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
It'll be fun to see the "Ol Ball Coach" get his rear end handed to him every year by Visor Boy, Macky Mack and the "Tortilla Throwing Classless Clowns."

I would love it if Spurrier becomes head Aggie!

JJ7997
11-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by JR2004

All fitting names for that bunch of bozos :D

JJ7997
11-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
All fitting names for that bunch of bozos :D

Even Fran didnt get it handed to him that bad in the majority of his battles with the three stooges you mentioned. Sure there was a lopsided one here and there but not near as bad as you make it sound, seeing how Fran single handedly screwed most of it all up with his offensive philosophy. But I love that moniker for Tech, because it is so true .

g$$
11-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Spurrier's not much of a rebuilder. He'll do well at A&M (I suspect), because he's got offensive talent in Bennett, Woodson and McGee (although it still remains to be seen if he can blossom into a true pocket passer). Gary Darnell will (hopefully) be relieved of his Defensive Coordinator duties by Spurrier once Steve gets to town. Overall, I don't like the hire..but that's just me. I would have preferred a guy like Ron English, who was on MY short list as a potential Fran replacement. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I feel TAMU needs a young, enthusiastic guy on the sidelines leading them into the future.

Fran & entire staff are gone. Darnell should be right behind Fran in line too. Brand new HC & staff to come shortly.

Not as high on Ron English as I once was. Young & energetic guy has merit, but A&M needs a big splash & Byrne knows it. Hopefully staff will be full of those types for recruiting.

TexanFan4Life
11-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Fran & entire staff are gone. Darnell should be right behind Fran in line too. Brand new HC & staff to come shortly.

Not as high on Ron English as I once was. Young & energetic guy has merit, but A&M needs a big splash & Byrne knows it. Hopefully staff will be full of those types for recruiting.

Any word on who he's bringing with him? Or will he make his OC and DC hires once in CS?

g$$
11-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Any word on who he's bringing with him? Or will he make his OC and DC hires once in CS?

No, but it will be his guys all the way. S&C coach too will be addressed. This is true for whomever A&M hires to be new HC.

HEMOTOXIC
11-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Whoop! Now that would be great.

Gsquared
11-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I cant see this as a good fit for A&M unless Spurrier changes his offensive philosophy. A&M (and most other schools in Texas) cannot recruit enough of the types of athletes needed to fit his scheme. Unless he can successfully recruit Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Louisianna along with Texas, this will not work in my opinion. There are too many hands in the athlete pool in this state for Spurrier to nab enough of them to fit in that system. Now, if he can successfully recruit the south eastern states and get a couple of gems out of the state of Texas, look out.

navscanmaster
11-22-2007, 11:30 PM
I hope this plays out to be true. Kids would line up to play for Spurrier, regardless of what any high-horse riding Longhorn says.

Old Tiger
11-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I hope this plays out to be true. Kids would line up to play for Spurrier, regardless of what any high-horse riding Longhorn says. Line up, I doubt it, but they could pick up a few more top recruits in the state.

TMer25
11-22-2007, 11:32 PM
I don't really see Spurrier as someone who would embrace all the traditions at A&M.

Old Tiger
11-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
I don't really see Spurrier as someone who would embrace all the traditions at A&M. Me either that is why I said I don't think he is a good fit there.

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2007, 11:35 PM
IMO this is a hire to make a bog splash but not a hire that is the right one

Do you think Spurrier wil want to hobnob with the alumni and embrace the traditions at the school?

navscanmaster
11-22-2007, 11:38 PM
They said Bill Parcells could never last in Big D for as long as he did.....

Old Tiger
11-22-2007, 11:38 PM
They said Bill Parcells could never last in Big D for as long as he did..... As you can see Parcells wasn't a good match for those players either ;)

JasperDog94
11-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
As you can see Parcells wasn't a good match for those players either ;) Very true.

coach
11-23-2007, 01:18 AM
has anyone heard if the ags do make it to a bowl will fran caoch it?

g$$
11-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by coach
has anyone heard if the ags do make it to a bowl will fran caoch it?

I do not think he will Coach. I think he's gone early next week. Probably interim coach from staff for bad bowl game.

navscanmaster
11-23-2007, 04:24 AM
If Byrne has his way, Fran will coach that last bowl. They said the Aggies are kinda projected to play Michigan, but I forget what bowl. I would love to see the Ags win out like they are capable of, but with Fran, nothings possible.:mad:

State_In_08
11-23-2007, 04:27 AM
I'd love to see victories over Texas and Michigan to finish out the season but I just don't see them winning two big games in a row under Fran.

injuredinmelee
11-23-2007, 04:33 AM
If Byrne has his way, Fran will coach that last bowl. They said the Aggies are kinda projected to play Michigan, but I forget what bowl. I would love to see the Ags win out like they are capable of, but with Fran, nothings possible.:mad:

Alamo??

navscanmaster
11-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Either the Insight.com or Independence bowl. They take the Big 12 no. 6 and 7 respectively.

Bulldog_12
11-23-2007, 05:06 AM
The rumor around here is that he will be announced as fired tomorrow night after the game. A successor could be named as early as Saturday. I heard the Spurrier rumor this past weekend, but at the time he was said to be waffling because he wasn't sure if he was wanting to leave the SEC just yet. I had heard the A&M was talking about doubling his salary which would probably make just about anyone come. Just what I am hearing.

injuredinmelee
11-23-2007, 05:12 AM
Since this is a State job doesnt the job have to be posted for "X" amount of days and a certain number of minority candidates interviewed? i have a feeling this is all wishful thinking.

navscanmaster
11-23-2007, 05:13 AM
We will see. That might actually make for a better show than the game itself. A&M fans everywhere, win or lose, will make more noise hearing that announcement than at the game!

Darren
11-23-2007, 07:18 AM
I would love to have him as the HC. But until I see an offical announcement I am not putting much stock in it.

KTJ
11-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Are people actually believing what some random posters friend told him one day?

Hilarious.

If it happens, congrats to you. But I'm not going to believe your friend. I mean, we all, technically, have a "friend with inside sources", don't we?

From what were hearing down here in SEC country, Spurrier might be headed to LSU.

Good luck.

CHS_Grad '85
11-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
From what were hearing down here in SEC country, Spurrier might be headed to LSU. That is what "Morning Joe" said this morning... guess we'll just have to wait and see...

JJ7997
11-23-2007, 09:54 AM
My question is why is it so stinking important of a subject for the texas t-shirt fans who our next coach will be ? They sure are interested in this one, even though they claim we are the ones with the obsession. :rolleyes:

Old Tiger
11-23-2007, 09:56 AM
My question is why is it so stinking important of a subject for the texas t-shirt fans who our next coach will be ? They sure are interested in this one, even though they claim we are the ones with the obsession. :rolleyes: It aint a thang but a chicken wang home skillet. Take easy and keep it greasy.

KTJ
11-23-2007, 10:02 AM
My question is why is it so stinking important of a subject for the texas t-shirt fans who our next coach will be ? They sure are interested in this one, even though they claim we are the ones with the obsession. :rolleyes:

First off, A&M has t-shirt fans as well. (Not to mention, A&M is the only school who uses that phrase, "t-shirt fans".)

Second, I'm an alumni of UT. Are you an alum? Student?

Third, if you think a coaching change equals "a superficial obsession" then you really have no clue. It's college football--every fan base is interested in what coach is going where. Good god, get off your high horse.

charlesrixey
11-23-2007, 10:04 AM
where are people hearing this?

if this is true than it would be out by now

DDBooger
11-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
First off, A&M has t-shirt fans as well. (Not to mention, A&M is the only school who uses that phrase, "t-shirt fans".)

Second, I'm an alumni of UT. Are you an alum? Student?

Third, if you think a coaching change equals "a superficial obsession" then you really have no clue. It's college football--every fan base is interested in what coach is going where. Good god, get off your high horse. reason a&m has less t-shirt fans is simple, Wins and Losses.

KTJ
11-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
reason a&m has less t-shirt fans is simple, Wins and Losses.

Ahh, so should you start winning again and racking up those t-shirt fans, then what will you be saying?

JJ7997
11-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
It aint a thang but a chicken wang home skillet. Take easy and keep it greasy.

Gotcha, I knew I could get a few folks riled up though. Aint bein' all serious on this end of things, just getting in a friendly jab or two.

Old Tiger
11-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Gotcha, I knew I could get a few folks riled up though. Aint bein' all serious on this end of things, just getting in a friendly jab or two. Stank ya doin a good job? haha

DDBooger
11-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Ahh, so should you start winning again and racking up those t-shirt fans, then what will you be saying? nothing, im not an a&m fan:rolleyes: lmao:D

Panther One
11-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Actually, during the 90's when A&M was winning and owned a four game winning streak over texas, we still didn't have many t-shirt fans. Texas didn't either, though. Once Texas started winning, however, people started tossing aside their ND, Michigan, and FSU hats in favor of longhorn gear.

We do have fans that didn't attend A&M, but most of them have some kind of ties to the school, whether it be a spouse, parent, sibling, grandparent, etc. I have never met an Aggie fan that didn't have some kind of ties to the school. I'm sure some exist, but there's not near as many as what you'll see for texas.

I have no problem with the "t-shirt" fans as long as they maintain their allegiances to that school. It's the bandwagon fans that I don't like. They talk the most crap and then jump ship when things get a little tough.

Adidas410s
11-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
Actually, during the 90's when A&M was winning and owned a four game winning streak over texas, we still didn't have many t-shirt fans. Texas didn't either, though. Once Texas started winning, however, people started tossing aside their ND, Michigan, and FSU hats in favor of longhorn gear.

We do have fans that didn't attend A&M, but most of them have some kind of ties to the school, whether it be a spouse, parent, sibling, grandparent, etc. I have never met an Aggie fan that didn't have some kind of ties to the school. I'm sure some exist, but there's not near as many as what you'll see for texas.

I have no problem with the "t-shirt" fans as long as they maintain their allegiances to that school. It's the bandwagon fans that I don't like. They talk the most crap and then jump ship when things get a little tough.
That's the difference between a regional school (A&M, Tech, etc) and a national school (Texas). Your fan base typically has a tie to a regional school while it doesn't always at a national school.

charlesrixey
11-23-2007, 11:57 AM
colin cowherd of espn radio named UT as the best coaching job in the country

Darren
11-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
colin cowherd of espn radio named UT as the best coaching job in the country

That surprises me....

I have always thought that he was a PAC-10 homer.

Macarthur
11-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I cant see this as a good fit for A&M unless Spurrier changes his offensive philosophy. A&M (and most other schools in Texas) cannot recruit enough of the types of athletes needed to fit his scheme. Unless he can successfully recruit Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Louisianna along with Texas, this will not work in my opinion. There are too many hands in the athlete pool in this state for Spurrier to nab enough of them to fit in that system. Now, if he can successfully recruit the south eastern states and get a couple of gems out of the state of Texas, look out.

I couldn't disagree more. Texas has plenty of athletes. You really don't think there are not enough athletes in Texas?

Hell, basically every HS in the state now is running the spread.

Adidas410s
11-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I couldn't disagree more. Texas has plenty of athletes. You really don't think there are not enough athletes in Texas?

Hell, basically every HS in the state now is running the spread.

How many top tier athletes are there though??? You can't pretend that there are enough for Texas, A&M, OU, LSU, Tech, Okie Lite, along with the other schools that grab 1 or 2 top kids from Texas each year.

charlesrixey
11-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
How many top tier athletes are there though??? You can't pretend that there are enough for Texas, A&M, OU, LSU, Tech, Okie Lite, along with the other schools that grab 1 or 2 top kids from Texas each year.

technically, texas has always been number 1 in the country in the number of D-1 recruits

i say technically because more position players come from florida (WR/RB) and DB's

and more QB's, OL, DL, and TE's come from Texas

that's why every college other than in texas has a rb or wr from florida or the southeast

and every college has a texas qb and probably a lineman

Old Tiger
11-23-2007, 12:16 PM
How many top tier athletes are there though??? You can't pretend that there are enough for Texas, A&M, OU, LSU, Tech, Okie Lite, along with the other schools that grab 1 or 2 top kids from Texas each year. Not to mention the few that Florida and USC come in and cherry pick.

Macarthur
11-23-2007, 12:43 PM

I think SS would stop much of that bleeding to OU & LSU. If Florida can produce enough for UF, Miami and FSU to be top tier programs then Texas produces enough for UT & A&M to be top tier. No doubt in my mind.

Darren
11-23-2007, 12:46 PM

True.... So lets limit the recruits that OU, LSU and Okalahomo State are able to secure from Texas.

charlesrixey
11-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I think SS would stop much of that bleeding to OU & LSU. If Florida can produce enough for UF, Miami and FSU to be top tier programs then Texas produces enough for UT & A&M to be top tier. No doubt in my mind.

AMEN!

that is incredibly true and yet something A&M fans have never wanted to admit

injuredinmelee
11-23-2007, 01:13 PM
this wil not happen this weekend. the firing might happen ( a year late) but there will not be a new coach named by law for at least 10 days.

Macarthur
11-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
this wil not happen this weekend. the firing might happen ( a year late) but there will not be a new coach named by law for at least 10 days.

IM, I've been told that these coaching positions do not have to abide by that minimum posting time requirement thing.

big daddy russ
11-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I cant see this as a good fit for A&M unless Spurrier changes his offensive philosophy. A&M (and most other schools in Texas) cannot recruit enough of the types of athletes needed to fit his scheme.
I'm exactly opposite. With Texas high schools consistently switching to the spread, I've been saying that a guy who runs the spread could recruit the best talent the state has to offer consistently and give them a reason to come to CS. That's why I always thought Jeff Tedford would do well in CS, because of the athletes he could lure to campus.

The tradeoff in that, however, is that there are fewer elite linebackers coming out of the state, so take that info for what it's worth.

Now if you're talking about the offense Spurrier's been running THIS year, you may be right. He's gone away from the fun 'n gun and adapted to the talent he has. Is now more of a running team, so we'll see what happens.

Like KTJ said, though, I'm still waiting to find out if this is all true or just rumors.

NDFootball
11-24-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't really see Spurrier as someone who would embrace all the traditions at A&M.

Everything changes sometime.

CueroDad2006
11-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Are people actually believing what some random posters friend told him one day?

Hilarious.

If it happens, congrats to you. But I'm not going to believe your friend. I mean, we all, technically, have a "friend with inside sources", don't we?

From what were hearing down here in SEC country, Spurrier might be headed to LSU.

Good luck.

Would you be willing to place a bet on this?

TMer25
11-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by NDFootball
Everything changes sometime.

He's 62 years old. Don't really see him changing at this point in his career and life.

DeeStroyer71
11-25-2007, 11:20 AM
And why would he want to?

TMer25
11-25-2007, 12:09 PM
According to the Houston Chronicle today, Mike Sherman seems to be the front runner.

Gotta love all the speculating that's going on.

Bull19
11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
According to the Houston Chronicle today, Mike Sherman seems to be the front runner.

Gotta love all the speculating that's going on.

im seeing sherman's name alot too right now....i hope it aint true:(

big daddy russ
11-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by DeeStroyer71
And why would he want to?
He's already mad at all the SC regents for some stuff that happened earlier this year concerning academics. Don't know the whole story, but it's out there if you want to find it.

Supposedly, TAMU's also offering twice his current pay, so we'll see.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
No, but it will be his guys all the way. S&C coach too will be addressed. This is true for whomever A&M hires to be new HC.

I knew that we were going to get an entire new staff, but I was not aware that we would get a new Strength and Conditioning coach. I'm disappointed in that, I was hoping he would get to stay, because I've came a long way as an athlete and developed a friendship with the Strength and Conditioning coach that we have.

As far as anything else goes, I can't say one way or the other as to whether or not it has any merit, because in all honesty I don't know.

nobogey72
11-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I knew that we were going to get an entire new staff, but I was not aware that we would get a new Strength and Conditioning coach. I'm disappointed in that, I was hoping he would get to stay, because I've came a long way as an athlete and developed a friendship with the Strength and Conditioning coach that we have.

As far as anything else goes, I can't say one way or the other as to whether or not it has any merit, because in all honesty I don't know.

Didn't I see a kid from Rockdale playing for Missouri yesterday? Just barely caught the tailend of the sentence, but swore he said "out of Rockdale Texas".

big daddy russ
11-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Didn't I see a kid from Rockdale playing for Missouri yesterday? Just barely caught the tailend of the sentence, but swore he said "out of Rockdale Texas".
Stryker Sulak, their DE.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72

That's my old teammate Stryker Sulak. We'll get our revenge on him and Mizzou next year at Kyle Field....

g$$
11-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Sulak played very well, Rockdale should be proud of him.

BTW, I am hearing Mike Sherman to be announced Tuesday as Texas A&M's new HC. My source could be wrong or it could change, but that is the word as of now. He declined comment today after the Texans's game too. Even avoided the media for over an hour. If NOT him, then why not say so or at least diplomatically say something? I think it will be Sherman & I like it.

Sherman has been my choice all along, but Tuberville would have been just fine too. Not as high on the others.

Great job BBDE & team, always nice to beat Texas.

Emerson1
11-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad2006
Would you be willing to place a bet on this?
I knew I should of cashed in

Old Tiger
11-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
That's my old teammate Stryker Sulak. We'll get our revenge on him and Mizzou next year at Kyle Field.... I don't know...they will be pretty salty once again.