PDA

View Full Version : Reason to give Thanks!!!

GetRDoneStangs
11-22-2007, 03:59 PM
A little of my insight for us all to give thanks to the Lord for all that he has blest us with!

The Sweetwater Jaycees annually give back to the community by hosting a Thanksgiving Day Feast. Plates of turkey and all the trimmings are delivered and also served in the fellowsip hall of First United Methodest Church at no cost to any and everyone.

It started on Wednesday as we got together and fried the 35 or so turkeys and got a few things ready at the church.

Thursday comes and I am headed out at around 7:30 and I stop in front of my house as I see a beautiful FULL rainbow across the western sky. The snow had not hit yet and there most have to been just enough sun to make a rainbow...it looked ike it ended in town...but both ends where visable...it just seemed very strange to see arainbow in November!!

With a great turnout of Jaycees and family to help it wasn't long before the delivery plates where being filled and given to the drivers. Soon the plates arrived at their destination as the snow began to fall..what a beautiful day it was!!

Folks started to arrive to eat at the church around 11 or so and as expected a good crowd began to fill the hall. A young couple came in and we all noticed they had backpacks and other belongings with them (and a puppy dog as well!!) ...all where wet from the snow...as they took their food it was also noticed they had on very light clothing, no jackets....and flip flops for shoes!

I had been cooking rolls and washing dishes when all of this was occuring when a couple of the guys came over and asked me to fill in on the serving line and they would be back soon...and to Not Let the couple leave!

They came back with jackets, shoes, boots, hats, socks and more!! They then went and got the couple and showed them the stack.....and if you could have seen the look on the girls face......I had to back of the serving line for a bit (no one in line, fortunately!) as she went through the clothes to find something her size!

We took up some money and where going to drive them to a local motel (they did have a tent that they where going to sleep in) and instaed the local Ministerial Alliance made a call and got a room donated.

We found out the couple had hit some tough times, but had jobs waiting for them in New Orleans...and they where doing their best to get there.

I am sure many of you have stories just like this...I just wanted to share it because, I now myself that I may not always be as gratefull for what the Lord has Blest me with as I should!

To all of the Family on The Downlow..have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Also saw StangRed and his daughter as they helped deliver home bound plates!!!

mistanice
11-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Good post.

Also, let us not forget about the men and women who are not able to spend this day with their loved ones.

Let us give thanks to our soldiers who are fighting abroad, and for their sacrifices, not only by those fighting, but also by those families who are directly affected, thanks.

GetRDoneStangs
11-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Good post.

Also, let us not forget about the men and women who are not able to spend this day with their loved ones.

Let us give thanks to our soldiers who are fighting abroad, and for their sacrifices, not only by those fighting, but also by those families who are directly affected, thanks.

Thanks and Thanks again!!!!

STANG RED
11-22-2007, 05:57 PM
As I myself was a Sweetwater Jaycee for some 20 years, it somehow became a tradition for my daughter and myself to deliver meals every Thanksgiving before enjoying our own meal with our family. We both look forward to doing this each and every year because its such a huge blessing to us both, and it gives just the two of us a rare oppertinity to spend a couple hours together, doing something that we both get more out of than even those we are helping. If any of you ever have the oppertunity to get involved with something like this, I would really encourage you to do so. I never really realized the true meaning of Thanksgiving until we got involved in delivering these meals to those who are truly in need of our help. The looks of thanks on their faces when we walk in carrying full Thanksgiving meals with all the trimmings is very special indeed.
There is one line in the Jaycee creed that has always been my favorite, and we would all do well to try to live our lives by it.
It goes like this: "Service to humanity is the best work of life".

To all my dlow family, I wish you all a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving, and pray that the Lord continue to bless you and yours the whole year round.:inlove:

zebrablue2
11-22-2007, 06:51 PM
thanks to both of you and your familes. great stories on this day of giving thanks. god bless.