PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Point, Bowie and others with possible 2A numbers

VWG
11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I know Pilot Point turned in less than 430 students and Bowie did as well. How many other 3A schools could drop this upcoming realignment?

Old Tiger
11-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Cameron

GreenMonster
11-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Do you feel the bottom number for 3A will :

A. Stay put
B. Slide up
C. Drop a little

I know that 3A is currently the smallest division. The Supt's are complaining about the 4 and 5 team districts. The UIL is worried about the growing the top number too much because it only widens the gap between the haves and the have nots. There are more schools between 375 and 430 than what is between 749.5 and 800. If the UIL wants to increase the number schools competing in 3A it actually makes more sense to lower the bottom number and boost the top number to 800 at the same time. If 3A numbers were between 375 and 800 it will be possible for the UIL to balance the AA and the A numbers to where all 3 divisions are roughly equall in total numbers. 4A and 5A will have more than the others. The problem with using rationale in trying to determine what the UIL will do is that the UIL does not do anything rationally. VWG, what do you expect to happen?

BILLYFRED0000
11-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Do you feel the bottom number for 3A will :

A. Stay put
B. Slide up
C. Drop a little

I know that 3A is currently the smallest division. The Supt's are complaining about the 4 and 5 team districts. The UIL is worried about the growing the top number too much because it only widens the gap between the haves and the have nots. There are more schools between 375 and 430 than what is between 749.5 and 800. If the UIL wants to increase the number schools competing in 3A it actually makes more sense to lower the bottom number and boost the top number to 800 at the same time. If 3A numbers were between 375 and 800 it will be possible for the UIL to balance the AA and the A numbers to where all 3 divisions are roughly equall in total numbers. 4A and 5A will have more than the others. The problem with using rationale in trying to determine what the UIL will do is that the UIL does not do anything rationally. VWG, what do you expect to happen?

But then you fall into the other trap the UIL wants to avoid and that is having monster schools with 900 against schools almost 3 times as small. I expect the top numbers to go up by 50
and the bottom to go up by 15. That would produce a few more schools but would make West Texas problematic as most of those schools are static or shrinking.

GreenMonster
11-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
But then you fall into the other trap the UIL wants to avoid and that is having monster schools with 900 against schools almost 3 times as small. I expect the top numbers to go up by 50
and the bottom to go up by 15. That would produce a few more schools but would make West Texas problematic as most of those schools are static or shrinking. If the bottom number goes up by 15 then 3A loses more schools to 2A than it picks up from 4A by going up to 800.

BobcatBenny
11-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Probably should grow the top 1A numbers.

Shift the 2A bracket up and grow the top number.

Shift the 4A bracket down and reduce the bottom number.

Then reduce the bottom 5A number.

And re-number them all over again from 1 to 4.

Then grow all the districts to 8, 9 or 10 teams. Which would mean that some schools would never really need to worry about scheduling non-district games.

VWG
11-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Probably should grow the top 1A numbers.

Shift the 2A bracket up and grow the top number.

Shift the 4A bracket down and reduce the bottom number.

Then reduce the bottom 5A number.

And re-number them all over again from 1 to 4.

Then grow all the districts to 8, 9 or 10 teams. Which would mean that some schools would never really need to worry about scheduling non-district games.

Grow all the districts to 8/9/10 teams?

BobcatBenny
11-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Grow all the districts to 8/9/10 teams?
Sure why not? If need be, districts could be 10,11 or even 12. That would make for a full 11 games for the 12 team districts.

VWG
11-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Greenie..... The UIL always starts with 5A and works down. A minimum of 222 to maximum of 245 football schools in 5A.
This starts the ball rolling. Once they get done with 5A and then adjust that bottom 5A number then they move on to 4A. Class 2A and Class 4A, per UIL, are to have a minimum of 200 schools in each class.
So... with that being said, I expect all the numbers on each class to bump up. That means 3A will still be jacked up, with schools close to 975 kids playing schools with 475 kids.
It's all on UIL website www.uil.utexas.edu/policy/pdf/08realign_procedures.pdf

DU_stud04
11-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Sure why not? If need be, districts could be 10,11 or even 12. That would make for a full 11 games for the 12 team districts. if you have these 12 team districts then you'd have to rewrite the playoff system, how many go to playoffs? just the top 3? would you keep the d1 d2 or have just one championship? i see this being a problem in region 1.....try and group 12 teams that are within atleast 200 miles of each other.

BobcatBenny
11-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
if you have these 12 team districts then you'd have to rewrite the playoff system, how many go to playoffs? just the top 3? would you keep the d1 d2 or have just one championship? i see this being a problem in region 1.....try and group 12 teams that are within atleast 200 miles of each other.

It is true, Region I is always going to have issues with geography, but they always seem to manage somehow. This might be where you stick with 10.

And, I think you could have 4 teams make the playoffs in two divisions from each district. That would make for two balanced brackets.

KTJ
11-22-2007, 06:13 PM
How is Pilot Point "losing kids"?

:confused:

DU_stud04
11-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
How is Pilot Point "losing kids"?

:confused: they're moving to celina :D

block&tackle
11-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Pilot Point is suffering from mismanagement and budget short-falls.

I think that the bottom number will stay close to where it currently is.

I think that we will see a shift that will send current 9-3A or 12-3A teams into Region 1. So some of the Region 1 schools may have to see Celina before the semi-finals.:cool:

duckpluck
11-22-2007, 09:25 PM
VWG - YOU ARE CORRECT.

Most people think the UIL uses an attendance number as the dividing point. We fans are the ones that make that number up based on the lowest or highest number of the top or bottom school.

It is based on the number of schools in each class not an attendance number. With that being said, the 5A 4A cutoff will rise to about 2,000 this time around. The 3A 4A cutoff on the high end will be closer to 1,000. This according to an interview with UIL Athletic Director Charles Brightupt. He indicated in his interview this was the likely scenario.
With more 5A schools opening each year, the 5A 4A number will rise a tad thus having some trickle down effect.

slingshot
11-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
....some of the Region 1 schools may have to see Celina before the semi-finals.:cool: Cool. Come out to Abilene... meet you at Joe Allen's for a steak before the game! Besides--a trip to Celina would beat the heck out having to drive to Wimberly or Frenship for a decent game like we do now. Nobody out here (cough:Snyder:cough) wants to play us any more.

88bobcats
11-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Kirbyville is somewhere around 430 from the most recent realignment. Depending upon the numbers they turned in, and depending upon where the UIL sets the lower limit for 3A, the Wildcats certainly might be poised for a down-shift.