View Full Version : South Oak Cliff talks back about Channel 8 story

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 02:08 PM
South Oak Cliff disputes report of ineligible player

Mays says Ch. 8 inquiry into 2005-06 state title is 'totally fabricated'

03:35 AM CST on Wednesday, November 21, 2007

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dsayles@dallasnews.com

South Oak Cliff boys basketball coach James Mays II said Tuesday he would welcome an investigation after WFAA-TV (Channel 8) reported the school may have violated the UIL's ineligibility rule during its 2005-06 championship season.

WFAA reported that former player Kendrake Johnigan, a shooting guard on SOC's 2005-06 team, should not have participated in that season's state tournament because he was academically ineligible.

Johnigan scored 11 points in the Class 4A championship game, a 76-58 win over Fort Worth Dunbar.

Video: WFAA's report
Mays said Channel 8's investigation is "...totally fabricated.

"We have never, nor will we ever, play a player that's ineligible," Mays said. "We haven't broken any UIL rules or jeopardized any championships won here.

"Rules are rules. They're set for people to follow. It's that simple."

WFAA reported that Johnigan's grades were changed before the state tournament. The report indicated UIL officials planned to investigate.

Messages left Tuesday afternoon for DISD athletic director Jeff Johnson, UIL athletic director Dr. Charles Breithaupt and UIL athletic coordinator Darryl Beasley were not returned.

Mays said the accusations are an old issue that he said was discussed and resolved last year.

"We talked to our athletic department. We talked to our administration downtown. They personally went through it and found no evidence of any wrongdoing," Mays said. "It bothered them that someone would put out a story like this, and it bothers us, too.

"I don't let any of my kids play if they don't pass. Our district's looked into it, and I'm looking forward to the UIL looking into it. We need some type of vindication from this."

WFAA reported that DISD superintendent Michael Hinojosa intended on investigating the situation.

"We have the highest expectations that we do things right," Hinojosa told WFAA.

"We are very proud of our students when they are successful, but we expect to win by the rules."

JR2004
11-21-2007, 02:51 PM
This is going to be fun watching Channel 8 have to issue some retractions on this story. Still don't understand why they ran this in the first place. There really isn't a story there at all. A sane person would think they'd have run such a story right around the time of title number 2, not more than a YEAR AND A HALF LATER. Coach Mays doesn't deserve to have his name dragged through the mud like this at all.

Phantom Stang
11-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Someone said on another thread, that Dale Hansen was gonna do an "unplugged" segment about SOC tonight.
My bet is that it won't be mentioned at all.

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 03:09 PM
yeah...that is what Hansen said

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
This is going to be fun watching Channel 8 have to issue some retractions on this story. Still don't understand why they ran this in the first place. There really isn't a story there at all. A sane person would think they'd have run such a story right around the time of title number 2, not more than a YEAR AND A HALF LATER. Coach Mays doesn't deserve to have his name dragged through the mud like this at all.

Well if they just now discovered information, then that might be the reason they are just now reporting on it

In saying that, this looks like a witchhunt

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 03:16 PM
I REPEAT...why doesn't channel 8 talk to the teacher involved in the grade change??????? My journalism professor would have had a heart attack if I had done this story without talking to the teacher involved.

Adidas410s
11-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Well if they just now discovered information, then that might be the reason they are just now reporting on it

In saying that, this looks like a witchhunt

exactly...why are they STILL looking for information on something that happened a few years ago???

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 03:19 PM
the same reason people are still trying to investigate the death of JFK and the death of Princess Diana and etc.....

JR2004
11-21-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm about to hit the road to go to Lampasas (nothing like a nice drive down scenic I-35 and 190! lol) so I won't get to hear Dale tonight. Someone let me know what he says in a PM so I know what kind of email to send him. :)

kepdawg
11-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Someone said on another thread, that Dale Hansen was gonna do an "unplugged" segment about SOC tonight.
My bet is that it won't be mentioned at all.

:confused:

How can he do his "Unplugged" segment on it and not mention it?

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 07:30 PM
i think what he meant was Hansen was supposed to do his unplugged segment about it but now he wont do it...we will see

kepdawg
11-21-2007, 07:35 PM
He plugged the Unplugged on the 6

Sounds like no pass, no play is the focus

He also said after reading the Morning News' horrible reporting his Unplugged was now going to be about 26 minutes long

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
He plugged the Unplugged on the 6

Sounds like no pass, no play is the focus

He also said after reading the Morning News' horrible reporting his Unplugged was now going to be about 26 minutes long

he actually said the Morning News had horrible reporting? interesting since WFAA and the DMN are both owned by Belo

kepdawg
11-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah, he said it

Belo doesn't scare him

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 07:48 PM
you are probably right....should be interesting...i might not be here so let me know what he says

kepdawg
11-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I'll be sure to post my recap

His Unplugged segments are usually on WFAA's website

I'll try to link when they get it up

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 07:50 PM
cool...yall have a good night

Phantom Stang
11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i think what he meant was Hansen was supposed to do his unplugged segment about it but now he wont do it...we will see
Yep, that's what I meant. However, at the time I made the post, I thought channel 8 had taken down the story they did last night, but it looks like I was wrong.:doh: :

Emerson1
11-27-2007, 07:16 PM
The teacher is question has come forward and said they were told to change the grades, and another has come and said they were asked in the past to do it to.

3afan
11-28-2007, 09:07 AM
updated story :

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/112807dnspohssoc.2d0c8ff.html

DISD investigating 2005-06 SOC state champs
Eligibility of former boys basketball player reason for inquiry

12:12 AM CST on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Dallas ISD has opened an investigation into whether the state champion South Oak Cliff boys basketball team played an ineligible player during the 2005-06 season.

Pete Nielsen, director of investigations for the DISD's Office of Professional Responsibility, said Tuesday his office is looking into a report aired by WFAA-TV (Channel 8) on Nov. 20 questioning the eligibility of former player Kendrake Johnigan.

Nielsen said the OPR, which governs all internal allegations and investigations within the DISD, would be in contact with the Texas Education Agency and the University Interscholastic League as it continues to investigate.

"From a district perspective, we're very sensitive to making sure that not only is an investigation done completely, but it's also reported thoroughly," Nielsen said. "We also don't want to step on anyone's toes, such as the TEA or UIL."

Nielsen declined further comment because he said the issue involves confidential personnel matters.

DISD athletic director Jeff Johnson said Tuesday no one in the athletic department had been contacted by the UIL. Messages left with the UIL were not returned Tuesday.

WFAA reported Johnigan, a shooting guard on the 2005-06 team, was academically ineligible but had his grades changed by SOC administrators before the state tournament.

Johnigan scored 11 points in the Class 4A championship game, which SOC won, 76-58, against Fort Worth Dunbar.

SOC head coach James Mays II said last week's WFAA's report was "totally fabricated."

WFAA has aired two more reports, the latest on a former SOC English teacher who allegedly was forced to change grades during his tenure.

kaorder1999
11-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The teacher is question has come forward and said they were told to change the grades, and another has come and said they were asked in the past to do it to.
where did you see this?