PDA

View Full Version : Greg Davis to SMU?

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Davis SMU-bound?
By Kirk Bohls | Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 05:01 PM

Southern Methodist has approached Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis about its vacant head football coaching job, the American-Statesman has learned.

A source close to the Longhorn coaching staff said Davis has been contacted by SMU unofficially. Texas Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds said no one from SMU has contacted him to ask for permission to talk to Davis and added that he would not comment in the future about speculation on the Longhorn coaching staff.

Davis declined any substantial comment Tuesday afternoon, saying through a spokesman, “I have always found it’s best not to comment publicly on speculation regarding job opportunities. We’re concentrating on Friday’s game with Texas A&M.”

Davis has served as Mack Brown’s offensive coordinator for all 10 of their seasons at Texas and for two at North Carolina. Davis was the head coach at Tulane for four seasons.

Davis turned down a chance at the Minnesota job last offseason. In the last 10 seasons at Texas, the Longhorns have produced eight of the school’s top nine passing seasons and the top six scoring seasons in school history.

wedo
11-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Bout time geez!!!!

Macarthur
11-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Most UT fans would love for him to go, wouldn't they?

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 02:10 PM
i wonder what would happen if Davis left and Texas went on the next year to lose 3 or 4 games...who would be to blame then?

Daddy D 11
11-21-2007, 02:19 PM
i hope he leaves and never comes back :clap:

buff4life
11-21-2007, 02:28 PM
MACK USHER HIM OUT THE DOOR!!!

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 02:31 PM
i guess every good team needs someone/something to blame everytime they lose....I guess Davis is that for Texas

Daddy D 11
11-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i guess every good team needs someone/something to blame everytime they lose....I guess Davis is that for Texas

nearly top 5 recruiting class every year, for the most part pretty nasty defenses. And only 2 truely great seasons during the 10 years, both of those due to Vince Youngs take over of college football.

if anything needs to be pointed to, IMHO its him :mad:

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 02:37 PM
I didnt realize Vince Young called his own plays those two years. If all of failures are Greg Davis' fault then Mack Brown is just as much to blame for keeping him there and continuing to give Davis raises.

Daddy D 11
11-21-2007, 02:45 PM
i agree. UT has gone to Mack Brown and threatened to release Greg Davis and everytime Mack retaliates by saying that he will leave too..so there isnt much you can do. Mack is a pretty good coach and would be hard to replace i think

LordInfamous
11-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Thank you SMU
Please take Greg Davis. He is a horrible offensive coordinator and has been wasting all of Texas's talents these past few years.

You guys dont realize but most wins Texas has have come from talent and not coaching.

Imagine Pete Carrol, Steve Spurrier, Les Miles, Urban Meyer coaching the athletes on the Texas Roster!!!

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by LordInfamous

You guys dont realize but most wins Texas has have come from talent and not coaching.

horrible offensive coordinator huh? You go watch them in practice and in film sessions or do you just watch the games and think play calling is all you have to do well to be a good OC? How does he do in the 70-80 hours a week or more before the game?

Macarthur
11-21-2007, 03:33 PM
horrible offensive coordinator huh? You go watch them in practice and in film sessions or do you just watch the games and think play calling is all you have to do well to be a good OC? How does he do in the 70-80 hours a week or more before the game?

Well, Franchione's work ethic is legendary. How's that worked out for him and A&M.

It's all about what happens on Saturday afternoon.

buff4life
11-21-2007, 03:50 PM
I didnt realize Vince Young called his own plays those two years. If all of failures are Greg Davis' fault then Mack Brown is just as much to blame for keeping him there and continuing to give Davis raises.

Not sure if you noticed but Vince Young made most plays on his OWN because the plays Davis called didn't work...

injuredinmelee
11-21-2007, 03:52 PM
i volunteer to help him pack

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2007, 04:01 PM
It is easy to bash on Davis and at times I do

BUT he built the system that made Vince Young shine, so it was not all Young and his talents, i was the staff making the changes needed to make him good

He had success with every style of QB you can have

Sinple fact is Texas has won the most games in the last 10 years, and average the most wins per year over last 6...That is not ALL players, or ALL coaching, it is a combo

Macarthur
11-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm sorry, but I think their success has been in spite of Davis.

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I'm sorry, but I think their success has been in spite of Davis.

u dont put up the offensive umbers Texas has year in and year out with it just being the players

nobogey72
11-21-2007, 05:53 PM
IMO the buck always stops at the top. If somebody works for me and is doing such a crappy job that it causes my business to lose money, and I don't do anything about it, whose fault is it?

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
IMO the buck always stops at the top. If somebody works for me and is doing such a crappy job that it causes my business to lose money, and I don't do anything about it, whose fault is it?

once again the number show he is not doing a crappy job

nobogey72
11-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
once again the number show he is not doing a crappy job

I agree with you 100%. But if you go under the assumption (of previous posters) that with the recruiting success that UT has enjoyed during M Brown's term, and you expect at least a Big 12 title every year, and you want someone to blame, then the buck has to stop at the top. How about all the 1st and 2nd round DB's that UT has put out over the past 5 years, yet their pass defense has been suspect. You don't hear people calling for the DC's job or the DB coaches job. IMO, people hear other people talking about Greg Davis and then assume that is the smart thing to say so that you appear to know all about UT Football. The truth is that the dumbest OC in the nation knows 100 times more football than all us dumbasses that hack around on 3Adownlow.

Sincerely,

3Adownlow dumbass.

JJ7997
11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I. How about all the 1st and 2nd round DB's that UT has put out over the past 5 years, yet their pass defense has been suspect.

What people forget is that the secondary the horns had in 05' and the defense as a whole had as much to do with winning the NC as Vince Young.

LordInfamous
11-22-2007, 02:42 AM
I want Greg Davis out...

Greg Davis is the guy who said he wanted Colt McCoy to run more.
You serious????

This is the guy who calls the zone reads with Colt.

At least at LSU they change qb's to do that.

g$$
11-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Fran & Greg Davis are both rumored for the SMU job.

Simply put, career suicide for any coach. Death Penalty killed that program & it has never bounced back. Too many obstacles at this point & too much negativity to overcome. Better off with a young guy full of energy & 0-0 record overall. No thanks.

Old Tiger
11-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Greg Davis is a good coach in practice and on film sessions but his only fault is that he goes a little brain dead on Saturdays.