PDA

View Full Version : UIL Should allow four 3A teams to go to the playoffs like in 5A

westtexasfbfan
11-21-2007, 11:46 AM
It really doesn't seem fair to send only three teams to the playoffs in 3A. The team that represents their district in the 3A division I bracket doesn't have that many teams to play. You can have the last place team in the district already playing near the finals. If the UIL were to send four teams, than two teams would go to the big school bracket and the smaller two teams would go to the division II bracket. It truly isn't fair competition for that one school to go to the playoffs with less games to play to reach a state title. What does anyone else think?

rockdale80
11-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by westtexasfbfan
It really doesn't seem fair to send only three teams to the playoffs in 3A. The team that represents their district in the 3A division I bracket doesn't have that many teams to play. You can have the last place team in the district already playing near the finals. If the UIL were to send four teams, than two teams would go to the big school bracket and the smaller two teams would go to the division II bracket. It truly isn't fair competition for that one school to go to the playoffs with less games to play to reach a state title. What does anyone else think?

I think 3 is too many.

carter08
11-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Yes.

Let's let winless teams in the playoffs!

:rolleyes:

pirate4state
11-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
I think 3 is too many. I concur

Ranger Mom
11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by carter08
Yes.

Let's let winless teams in the playoffs!

:rolleyes:

In our district...Lamesa would have made the playoffs at 0 - 10!

DaHop72
11-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I think 3 is too many. +1

kepdawg
11-21-2007, 11:57 AM
I would like to see one state champion per class and no more than two teams per district in the playoffs.

It won't be too long; however, before there are four teams going in all classes.

I would really like to see the formation of 6A but there are too many excuses so that won't happen any time soon.

Phil C
11-21-2007, 12:01 PM
I liked it better when two teams from each district would make it.

TexasHSFootball
11-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I would like to see one state champion per class and no more than two teams per district in the playoffs.

It won't be too long; however, before there are four teams going in all classes.

I would really like to see the formation of 6A but there are too many excuses so that won't happen any time soon.

Best thing that should have happened was the split classification format like they do Six Man .. but since competitive fairness and logic isn't a primary concern, it wont happen either. Three teams for the size that 3A is.. IMHO is too many as well.

GATAPride77
11-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Back in the day, you won district or you brought out he basketballs. The new format has proven that some of the runner-ups deserve a shot because they have made deep play off runs or even won state titles. Three is too many and four is a joke, no fourth place team deserves a playoff game no matter the level.

3afan
11-21-2007, 12:14 PM
depends ... a 3rd /4th place team in one district may be better than another district's champion

vet93
11-21-2007, 12:17 PM
I think one of the reasons that they increased the number in 5a (aside from the money that the UIL makes from playoff games) is that they increased the total number of 5a's over the other classifications and tried to have predominantly 8 team districts. With the low number of schools in 3a...4 teams would be a joke. In some of the 4 team districts in West Texas all 4 teams would make the playoffs. Currently a 1-9 team can make the playoffs in these districts...with 4 teams an 0-10 team could make the playoffs.

pirate4state
11-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
depends ... a 3rd /4th place team in one district may be better than another district's champion true, but in those 4 team distrists that wouldn't make any sense. you'd have teams going to the playoffs with an 0-10 or 1-9 record! :hairpunk:

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2007, 12:26 PM
While it does dilute the play-offs and all that, i must admit it is fun having more play-off games

sotex
11-21-2007, 12:27 PM
I agree, three teams is too many. Playoffs are a reward for a really good season. If the UIL continues down this slippery slope of allowing more and more teams per district into the playoffs, soon every team will make the playoffs regardless of record.

3afan
11-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While it does dilute the play-offs and allat, i must admit it is fun having more play-off games

yes!

and since I work another sport as an official it give us more opportunities to work playoff games

88bobcats
11-21-2007, 12:39 PM
I think 3 is too many.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Emerson1
11-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I think the whole going by enrollment is dumb for DI and DII is dumb

18handicap
11-21-2007, 01:02 PM
THE REASON WHY THIS WON'T HAPPEN!!

The UIL floated a survey this fall to superintendents in conferences A-AAAA, to gauge their interest in having 4 teams in the playoffs from each district in all team sports. I don't have the results in my hand right now, but they were given to all attending the Legislative Council meeting in October. Only Conference AAAA superintendents voted in favor of adding a 4th team in the playoffs; Conferences A-AAA overwhelmingly voted NOT to add the 4th team. So the UIL only passed a binding referendum (with a favorable recommendation) for Conference AAAA superintendents to vote on to whether or not to add the 4th team.

Conferences A-AAA voted in the survey that they don't want the 4th team, so the UIL left it alone for those conferences. I would think that UIL staff wants to add the 4th team, but until the superintendents in those conferences want it, it's not going to happen.

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
THE REASON WHY THIS WON'T HAPPEN!!

The UIL floated a survey this fall to superintendents in conferences A-AAAA, to gauge their interest in having 4 teams in the playoffs from each district in all team sports. I don't have the results in my hand right now, but they were given to all attending the Legislative Council meeting in October. Only Conference AAAA superintendents voted in favor of adding a 4th team in the playoffs; Conferences A-AAA overwhelmingly voted NOT to add the 4th team. So the UIL only passed a binding referendum (with a favorable recommendation) for Conference AAAA superintendents to vote on to whether or not to add the 4th team.

Conferences A-AAA voted in the survey that they don't want the 4th team, so the UIL left it alone for those conferences. I would think that UIL staff wants to add the 4th team, but until the superintendents in those conferences want it, it's not going to happen.

Actually from all accounts it was no that they turned down the idea, but wanted more studies done and felt it was to quick of a turnaround for the next realignment..but it will be passed by the NEXT realignment in 2010

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Actually from all accounts it was no that they turned down the idea, but wanted more studies done and felt it was to quick of a turnaround for the next realignment..but it will be passed by the NEXT realignment in 2010
I thought that was for splitting districts based on DI & DII. Or was it both? :confused:

RattlerDude
11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by westtexasfbfan

It wouldn't necessarily increase the level of competition so they should just leave it where it is. Some districts only have four teams so that would guarantee each one a playoff spot. Ingram went 0-10 on the season but there were only four teams in their district. If there was 4 teams then adding a team like Ingram would not make the playoffs any better. I say leave it at 3 teams.

BobcatBenny
11-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Personally, I think we should just ignore the D1 bracket all together . . . or at least for this year! :D

I mean think about it. Three teams are too many . . . and the team in the district that had the highest enrollment and actually finished in the top three should automatically be disqualified from the playoffs.

Why?

Simple. Two reasons.

1. The bigger schools are supposed to beat up on the smaller schools.

and . . . drum roll

2. Bobcat Benny said so.

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 02:02 PM
District 14-3A had a four way tie for first so they were Quad Champs and Van stayed home. Van could have won a few other 3A Districts

King_LeYoeNidas
11-21-2007, 02:10 PM
the thing is, these retards that make the excuse of "lets give more kids the playoff experience" is that when said school gets blasted 80 to nothing in the first round...that's probably more damaging to the ol ego than not making playoffs. that's a "you don't belong here and here's why" if there ever was one. Sending 2 teams is plenty. 4 is just stupid.

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
the thing is, these retards that make the excuse of "lets give more kids the playoff experience" is that when said school gets blasted 80 to nothing in the first round...that's probably more damaging to the ol ego than not making playoffs. that's a "you don't belong here and here's why" if there ever was one. Sending 2 teams is plenty. 4 is just stupid.

that first sentence confused me a bit....:D

Research 5A on down and see how many 3rd and 4th place teams won playoff games....as Rowlett if they belong in the playoffs in 5A. Im too lazy to research. Maybe WOS87 will...

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
1. The bigger schools are supposed to beat up on the smaller schools.
Yeah, that is certainly logical. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Go look at Kirbyville's enrollment figures and get back with me. Oh yeah....the biggest school in OUR district didn't win any district games.

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Research 5A on down and see how many 3rd and 4th place teams won playoff games....as Rowlett if they belong in the playoffs in 5A. Im too lazy to research. Maybe WOS87 will...
Round Rock was one of them last year and they went a few rounds, knocking off some GOOD teams along the way.

18handicap
11-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't think y'all understood what I said in my earlier post. The survey that I'm talking about and read at the Legislative Council meeting that I attended as the representative of the Texas Fastpitch Coaches Association was for adding a 4th team to the playoffs for all team sports, just like Conference AAAAA was already doing. It had NOTHING to do with the split in Divisions I & II proposal for football districting. The original topic was why there aren't 4 teams in the playoffs in AAA like we have in AAAAA.

You are right about the study, but that is for the Division I & II football proposal, not for adding a 4th team to the playoffs. The Division I & II proposal was shown at coaching school with 3 team in the playoffs (meaning the district champions get a bye).

I was at the Legislative Council meetings so I heard all of the discussion on the two topics and I do believe that the Division I & II districting for football has a good chance of passing for 2010.

King_LeYoeNidas
11-21-2007, 02:21 PM
ok. what I'm saying is this.
a reason they have started sending more schools is because people want more students to be able to have that "playoff experience." what I'm saying is that when a 3rd place team goes into playoffs and runs into the opposing district's 1st seed...it can get ugly. so why not spare them the destruction and embarrassment of a thrashing and just let em roll out the roundballs when they're supposed to. When a 2 and 8 team makes playoffs...there's a problem.

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 02:22 PM
yeah, adding a 4th playoff team was just for that...adding a fourth playoff team. Splitting hte Districts into two divisions was another total separate issue

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2007, 02:23 PM
ok. what I'm saying is this.
a reason they have started sending more schools is because people want more students to be able to have that "playoff experience." what I'm saying is that when a 3rd place team goes into playoffs and runs into the opposing district's 1st seed...it can get ugly. so why not spare them the destruction and embarrassment of a thrashing and just let em roll out the roundballs when they're supposed to. When a 2 and 8 team makes playoffs...there's a problem.
2002 DII State Champs Bandera - 3rd place in the district. Should they give the trophy back? ;)

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
2002 DII State Champs Bandera - 3rd place in the district. Should they give the trophy back? ;)

hmm....good point

maroonpirate04
11-21-2007, 03:08 PM
They should only allow a 4th team in basketball, softball, and baseball. Football is just fine with a 3rd team only. Or since they like to hand out alot of State titles all sports should have 2 divisons

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04
They should only allow a 4th team in basketball, softball, and baseball. Football is just fine with a 3rd team only. Or since they like to hand out alot of State titles all sports should have 2 divisons if they add a 4th playoff team they will still hand out the same amount of State Titles, 2. The only change that woul dbe made is 1 more round would be added to Division 1 so both Divisions would have 6 rounds.

garciap77
11-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Just have two team from each dist. And then Div I vs Div II for State the would stop alot of the Div I is better than Div II thing!:doh: :doh: :doh:

garciap77
11-21-2007, 03:23 PM
if they add a 4th playoff team they will still hand out the same amount of State Titles, 2. The only change that woul dbe made is 1 more round would be added to Division 1 so both Divisions would have 6 rounds.

We must have been thing the same thing! You posted first! Sorry! I agree with you!:clap: :clap: :clap:

crazy
11-21-2007, 08:04 PM
I've always thought the 3 team thing was wrong. That said, the way they have it divided is wrong. They need the two largest schools who finish in the top three to go in D-1 and the smallest enrollment to go in d-2. THAT is how they are going to even up the field and allow some of the smaller schools the opportunity to advance in the playoffs. They contend that there are more small schools than there are large schools but that is not what is happening in the playoff brackets. Reverse the system for a couple of years and see how it works. THEN they can go to the other (4 team) if they have exhausted all other scenarios.

JJ7997
11-21-2007, 08:34 PM
When a 2 and 8 team makes playoffs...there's a problem.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 08:37 PM
but who cares if they are in the playoffs...let them make it and get their butts handed to them and move on. Are you scared of gettin gbeat by a 2-8 team or what?

75009Football
11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
depends ... a 3rd /4th place team in one district may be better than another district's champion

If you listen to the Region 3 folks their #'s ... Well, you get my drift.

One's not enough cause you leave too much football talent playing B-ball and three, well, (3-7) says it all (too often). Four, pleeeeaaaasssssseeeeee nnnnnnnooooooooooooo!!!!

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
The Superintendents of the schools who win the District are voting yes for the 4th spot because that gives them an easier first round and the Sups of the school that are always on the 3rd-4th place bubble are voting yes too because they want to get in the playoffs. SEE VAN

crazy
11-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by 75009Football
If you listen to the Region 3 folks their #'s ... Well, you get my drift.

One's not enough cause you leave too much football talent playing B-ball and three, well, (3-7) says it all (too often). Four, pleeeeaaaasssssseeeeee nnnnnnnooooooooooooo!!!!

I didn't get your drift...can you explain about Region III?

75009Football
11-21-2007, 08:46 PM
but who cares if they are in the playoffs...let them make it and get their butts handed to them and move on. Are you scared of gettin gbeat by a 2-8 team or what?

An injury during District play to a 2-8 team is acceptable but to a 2-8 PLAYOFF TEAM, not acceptable, we should be wasting our time on 8-2 teams.

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 08:50 PM
An injury during District play to a 2-8 team is acceptable but to a 2-8 PLAYOFF TEAM, not acceptable, we should be wasting our time on 8-2 teams.

an injury can happen at any time during hte year. You cant use that as an excuse...thats sad

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I bet that is why Allen went down 30-0 early against 4th place Rowlett. They didnt want to get hurt....:rolleyes:

75009Football
11-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by crazy
I didn't get your drift...can you explain about Region III?

R3 is so strong this year their 4ths would still be hanging with the rests 1s and 2s.

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Van was 4th in 14-3A and would have beaten anyone in 13-3A more than likely

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Are you scared of gettin gbeat by a 2-8 team or what?
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 09:02 PM
if im a head coach sitting in the playoffs at 10-0 and I have the choice to play

A) 2-8 4th place team
B) 9-1 second place team
C) 8-2 third place team

Im choosing A. Im not stupid. Believe it or not, Butch Ford would do the same thing.

stxfootballfan
11-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I think they should just do away with district games and let everyone be a playoff team :rolleyes:

crazy
11-21-2007, 09:07 PM
No doubt. But are we going to water it down so that everybody gets a snow cone like in little league? This ain't little league, everybody doesn't get to play and that's life. I think the UIL needs to leave this one at 3, and have two teams in D1 with the smallest playoff team in each district in D-2, or go back to a 2 team playoff district.

75009Football
11-21-2007, 09:22 PM
an injury can happen at any time during hte year. You cant use that as an excuse...thats sad

Who is using an injury as an excuse? A correction to your statement if I may. Any injuy is Bad but one to a 2-8 playoff team is, as you said, SAD, shouldn't happen that way.

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
maybe I should have said you cant use an injury as your only reason to not allow a 4th team to compete in the playoffs. Injuries can happen at any time. Football is a rough sport and if you cant handle playing a 2-8 team cause yo are scared to get hurt then football isnt a sport for you.

75009Football
11-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Van was 4th in 14-3A and would have beaten anyone in 13-3A more than likely

IRMC.

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 09:46 PM
you rest your case based on what?

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 09:57 PM
IRMC.

you rest your case bsaed on the argument I made that a 4th place team would have beaten anyone in another Disrict...?

STANG RED
11-21-2007, 09:57 PM
I think 4 teams making the playoffs is taking it way too far. I can live with 3 because there are a hand full of third place teams that are good enough to actually compete with most teams in the playoffs, but thats only a select few. Most 3rd place finishers have no business being in the playoffs. I cant imagine any 4th place teams bringing any serious competition to the playoffs.
Either leave it at 3, or take it back to 2.

75009Football
11-21-2007, 09:59 PM
if im a head coach sitting in the playoffs at 10-0 and I have the choice to play

A) 2-8 4th place team
B) 9-1 second place team
C) 8-2 third place team

Im choosing A. Im not stupid. Believe it or not, Butch Ford would do the same thing.

You are the best when you beat the best, remember that. If you get the chance to coach some kids at anything, please don't use yout previous line on them, it won't be too good for their development.

Celina Football.

kaorder1999
11-21-2007, 10:01 PM
You are the best when you beat the best, remember that. If you get the chance to coach some kids at anything, please don't use yout previous line on them, it won't be too good for their development.

Celina Football.

you are right...IF i ever get the chance to coach anything I will remember your infinite wisdom.

Yeah, Celina has always been known for scheduling the toughest Pre-District schedule they could come up with....to play the best....

oh wait...

Ranger Mom
11-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

No..they should just give it to us....we should have won that game anyway!!:D :D :p

j_dog
11-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I think 3 is too many.
I totally agree, except for District 21-3a which has 8 teams, 6 of which would have placed out of most districts. :)

The third place team just beat the living daylights out of the first place team of its neighboring district. I think many fans in 21-3a might agree that the 4th, 5th, and 6th place teams would have also done pretty well.

But when you have 4 team districts with 3 teams advancing, THAT borders on the ridiculous. :mad:

Old Dog
11-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey folks, have you noticed................no one talks much about the honor of winning a district anymore?

Used to be the reason for the season, now it's just a ticket to a supposedly weaker finisher from a district next door!

Now all can say "WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS". Well big damn deal, so did 25 other 5-5 teams.

Matthew328
11-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Does it really matter if they let 4 teams in the playoffs in 3A?

In the grand scheme of things no.....the cream will rise to the top...

Do I think it's too many?? Yes, but will I scream and moan if they do it in 3A? Nope...I'd rather them do that than have two 10-0 teams playing in the first round also.....

kaorder1999
11-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Hey folks, have you noticed................no one talks much about the honor of winning a district anymore?

Used to be the reason for the season, now it's just a ticket to a supposedly weaker finisher from a district next door!

Now all can say "WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS". Well big damn deal, so did 25 other 5-5 teams.

the schools ive been at take winning a District Title very serious...thats all we talk about from thebeginning of two a days...

75009Football
11-22-2007, 12:46 AM
you are right...IF i ever get the chance to coach anything I will remember your infinite wisdom.

Yeah, Celina has always been known for scheduling the toughest Pre-District schedule they could come up with....to play the best....

oh wait...

Not my words, they were yours wanting to play 2-8 teams. Show me where we picked, not the UIL, any 2-8 teams.

And your last question, some 4ths will beat some 1s and 2s, but why sit through all the others for the one or maybe two. Let another 1 or2 do it instead.

out.

29-3aFAN
11-22-2007, 03:47 AM
Maybe if they could work it for the bigger districts to pull a forth team but not the smaller districts. I don't know how it would work though. Maybe a few wildcards by record and strength of schuedule, but doubt it.

TexanFan4Life
11-22-2007, 03:54 AM
I just think the Division I winner should play the Division II winner in each class. 3 teams per district is fine.

(If you place 4th in your district, you don't belong anywhere near the playoffs...3 teams per is pushing it, but I believe in 'any team on any given day')