PDA

View Full Version : SOC cheating story

3afan
11-21-2007, 08:01 AM
South Oak Cliff disputes report of ineligible player
Mays says Ch. 8 inquiry into 2005-06 state title is 'totally fabricated'

South Oak Cliff boys basketball coach James Mays II said Tuesday he would welcome an investigation after WFAA-TV (Channel 8) reported the school may have violated the UIL's ineligibility rule during its 2005-06 championship season.

WFAA reported that former player Kendrake Johnigan, a shooting guard on SOC's 2005-06 team, should not have participated in that season's state tournament because he was academically ineligible.

Johnigan scored 11 points in the Class 4A championship game, a 76-58 win over Fort Worth Dunbar.

Mays said Channel 8's investigation is "...totally fabricated.

"We have never, nor will we ever, play a player that's ineligible," Mays said. "We haven't broken any UIL rules or jeopardized any championships won here.

"Rules are rules. They're set for people to follow. It's that simple."

WFAA reported that Johnigan's grades were changed before the state tournament. The report indicated UIL officials planned to investigate.

Messages left Tuesday afternoon for DISD athletic director Jeff Johnson, UIL athletic director Dr. Charles Breithaupt and UIL athletic coordinator Darryl Beasley were not returned.

Mays said the accusations are an old issue that he said was discussed and resolved last year.

"We talked to our athletic department. We talked to our administration downtown. They personally went through it and found no evidence of any wrongdoing," Mays said. "It bothered them that someone would put out a story like this, and it bothers us, too.

"I don't let any of my kids play if they don't pass. Our district's looked into it, and I'm looking forward to the UIL looking into it. We need some type of vindication from this."

WFAA reported that DISD superintendent Michael Hinojosa intended on investigating the situation.

"We have the highest expectations that we do things right," Hinojosa told WFAA.

"We are very proud of our students when they are successful, but we expect to win by the rules."

----------------------

i don't think Ch 8 would make this up ..... duh

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2007, 08:09 AM
I think I need to rewatch the news clip, because I either missed something or things aren't kosher. :confused:

3afan
11-21-2007, 08:20 AM
VIDEO (http://www.wfaa.com/video/index.html?nvid=194810&shu=1)

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Okay, I just watched it again twice and it still doesn't add up. It might be a day or two before I get a chance to see the follow-up story, so here's what is not making sense to me.

1. How does a student NOT know they have a class, especially a core subject? (That's just my " :rolleyes: :rolleyes: yeah right" question.)
2. He had 6 absences in the days before the state tourney, again because he :rolleyes: didn't know he had that class.
3. Supposedly, on 2/28/06, he was dropped from the class and placed in PE and "Reconnect English" for after school.
3a. I remember something recently about a student being in both PE and athletics. Wouldn't only one count?
3b. Reconnect English - what is that?
4. What exactly does his FIRST six weeks grade of 50 changing to 73 (this is what I had to make sure I saw correctly) have to do with what happened in February? Or is this more of the "principal and previous allegations" instead of the student?

crazy
11-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Dickinson had the player in two athletic periods. They turned themselves in and no penalties were assessed. They did not have to forfeit any games.

The 6 absences before the state tourney...were those the only days of that class that he missed? Was it a new semester?

JR2004
11-21-2007, 09:52 AM
The whole thing is a farce and Channel 8 is going to lose a lot of face over this. They already made fools of themselves last night for running SOC into the ground while having great things to say about a certain head football coach over at Skyline. The coach at Skyline is notorious for bending the rules going back to his days as the head coach at Lincoln.

Channel 8 owes Coach Mays an apology for this ridiculousness. The guy who did that story has a bit of a reputation as a yellow journalist.

JR2004
11-21-2007, 09:58 AM
You can also reference this thread as we discussed this story last night when it was first being reported. Combining the threads might be a good way to get all the information in one place.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74728

3afan
11-21-2007, 10:04 AM
i like Ch 8 overall but I hope SOC comes out "clean" in this ...........

Emerson1
11-21-2007, 11:10 AM
I didn't know when you turned 18 your grades became public records.

jason
11-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I didn't know when you turned 18 your grades became public records. makes you wish you have tried harder in school now huh.....

Emerson1
11-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by jason
makes you wish you have tried harder in school now huh.....

buff4ever
11-21-2007, 11:12 AM
I didn't know when you turned 18 your grades became public records.

Yeah, people have been able to look at fitzhenry's grades for like 3 years now:) :) :)

Phantom Stang
11-21-2007, 02:52 PM
The video has apparently been taken down from the website, so I assume channel 8 is feeling some heat.:thinking:

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2007, 02:55 PM

ACT score?:(

:D :devil:

Phantom Stang
11-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Did anyone else notice that the reporter had no problem naming the player, yet the "name of student" was blacked out on the documents?

Phantom Stang
11-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
The video has apparently been taken down from the website, so I assume channel 8 is feeling some heat.:thinking:
I hereby make a retraction of my own.:D
The link to the video wouldn't work for me this afternoon, even though I was able to access other videos on that site. It now works just fine.

I'm still skeptical of the story as it was presented.