PDA

View Full Version : Another rule question

CenTexSports
11-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Friday night a free kick from team A 40 yard line goes out of bounds untouched on team B's 40 yard line. What are team B's options?

I know the NCAA rules but what is the answer?

Astrosdawg07
11-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Friday night a free kick from team A 40 yard line goes out of bounds untouched on team B's 40 yard line. What are team B's options?

I know the NCAA rules but what is the answer?

Take it at the opp.'s 45 or re-kick?

CenTexSports
11-20-2007, 08:58 PM
NO

I just realized earlier this week that many crews were enforcing this incorrectly this year. There was a change in the NCAA rule this year that was covered in chapter meetings. It was covered incorrectly. While I was looking up information on the defensive pass interference rule, I found that there was a UIL exception to this NCAA rule. OOPS! We won't make this mistake this Friday.

VAMike
11-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Please don't tell me you were giving an option of 35 yards from where kicked (which would make it the 25 yard line normally) ?

This was covered with the TASO-certified clinicians BEFORE the Summer clinics so the correct info should have been going out.

Team B can take it 30 yards from where kicked or can take it 5 yards forward from where it went out of bounds or they can have the 5 yards enforced prior to a rekick. I would never offer the "option" to just take it at the out of bounds spot unless there was a period extension issue that coud apply

CenTexSports
11-20-2007, 09:32 PM
No we never offered the 35 yards. But the UIL exception does not give the 5 yards from the spot it went out of bounds as an option. The UIL exception only gives 30 yards from the previous spot, 5 yard penalty/rekick and taking it at the spot it goes out of bounds. In our chapter meetings, we were told to give them the 5 from the spot it went out of bounds (assuming it went out at team B's 30 or beyond.

I printed off the UIL exceptions and it does not include the +5 (see below).

Modify Yardage
Rule 6-2-1-Penalty -- UIL Exception
Penalty for a free kick out of bounds altered to be five yards from the previous spot or the receiving
team awarded the ball 30 yards beyond Team A's restraining line

VAMike
11-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Sounds like you have been doing it correctly. The UIL exceptions were incorrect when printed I thought the State office sent something to the Chapters clarifying that?

CenTexSports
11-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Well that makes me fell better but the UIL exception that I just posted is from the UIL website as of right now. If a coach was up on this, how would you explain that you are penalizing his against a posted UIL exception?

VAMike
11-20-2007, 09:55 PM
I'd suggest he call Dr B and/or D.W. Rutledge as both were in on the meeting where it was clarified that the only exception Tx wanted on this rule was the 30 yards from where kicked instead of 35 like NCAA They wanted to keep the rest of the rule intact. We (TASO) cannot control the lack of editorial oversight by UIL.

Slamhammer
11-21-2007, 12:53 AM
and remember that six-man rules are a little bit different as well. You don't have an option of the 5 yards added to the out of bounds spot. You can take the ball at the out of bounds spot, or 20 yards from the spot of the free kick or accept a 5 yard penalty and have team A re-kick.

VAMike
11-21-2007, 04:41 AM
I think the tack on applies to 6 man also.