PDA

View Full Version : Saban makes comments on UL Monroe Loss

eagles_victory
11-20-2007, 05:11 PM
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama fans aren't the only ones treating the Louisiana-Monroe loss as a monumental event.

Coach Nick Saban described the humbling defeat in almost apocalyptic terms Monday, mentioning the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and Pearl Harbor in talking about how his team must rebound like America did from a "catastrophic event."

"Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event," Saban said. "It may be 9/11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, and that was a catastrophic event."

If the comparisons seem over the top, well, it is Iron Bowl week.

Saban didn't compare the embarrassing 21-14 loss to Louisiana-Monroe to those events, but picked those historical references to illustrate that this could be a pivotal week for the Crimson Tide.

Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event. It may be 9-11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, and that was a catastrophic event.

--Alabama coach Nick Saban

A Saban spokesman said the coach chose the 9/11 and Pearl Harbor references to illustrate this could be a pivotal week for the Crimson Tide.

"What Coach Saban said did not correlate losing a football game with tragedy, everyone needs to understand that. He was not equating losing football games to those catastrophic events," football spokesman Jeff Purinton said in a statement to The Associated Press. "The message was that true spirit and unity become evident in the most difficult of times. Those were two tremendous examples that everyone can identify with."

Alabama (6-5, 4-3 Southeastern Conference) is preparing to face its biggest rival, No. 25 Auburn. The Tide is in a precarious spot leading up to Saturday's visit to the Tigers, having been stung by three consecutive losses that have put Saban's first Alabama team in danger of getting snubbed by bowls and having a .500 record.

The latest defeat was definitely a low-point, especially following on the heels of losses to No. 1 LSU and Mississippi State. It led Saban to another non-football analogy.

"They talk about alcoholics and people like that who never ever change until they hit rock bottom," Saban said. "Well, they change because when they hit rock bottom they have an awareness, they have an acceptance and a commitment to change.

They talk about alcoholics and people like that who never ever change until they hit rock bottom Well, they change because when they hit rock bottom they have an awareness, they have an acceptance and a commitment to change. That's what our players need to do right now because in the past two weeks since the LSU game, I haven't seen the same spirit, I haven't seen the same work ethic.

--Saban

"That's what our players need to do right now because in the past two weeks since the LSU game, I haven't seen the same spirit, I haven't seen the same work ethic. That's something we've got to get right."

The Tide has had off-the-field troubles in addition to a disappointing season. In the latest cases, five players were suspended for the past four games for improper receipt of textbooks and receiver DJ Hall was held out in the first half of the Louisiana-Monroe game for violating team rules. All those players are back for the Iron Bowl.

Those issues are part of the reason Saban is so bothered by his team's situation.

"I don't think anyone in this room would have bet that we would lose back-to-back games to Mississippi State or ULM," Saban said in his weekly news conference. "There's really a reason for that."

He said that reason has to do with suspensions, players being late to meetings or not focusing in practice. Then, there's the on-the-field problems.

"Not finishing plays. Not finishing games. Not finishing the season," Saban said. "You get humiliated, and that's basically what happened."
SportsNation
Were you offended by Nick Saban's comments regarding catastrophic events?
Yes
No

The Tide players also struggled to put the loss in perspective, though none used quite the same approach as their coach. Alabama was favored by 24½ points in the game, but had a series of costly mistakes that included four turnovers, a blocked field goal and three fruitless trips well into Louisiana-Monroe territory in the fourth quarter.

"I don't know if you really can put it into words," safety Rashad Johnson said. "We lost to a team that wasn't better than us, and it was all on us why we lost the game."

Receiver Matt Caddell said the team can't dwell on that loss -- or forget it.

"You've got to put it behind you, but you can't forget about it," Caddell said. "You just have to use it as a motivator to not be in that situation again. That's a lifelong lesson."

A win over Auburn would take some of the sting off, and likely erase any doubt that Alabama is bowl-bound. Plus, the Tide wants to stop a five-year losing streak to its biggest rival.

"I don't think there is a guy who doesn't know the seriousness of this game," linebacker Darren Mustin said. "I don't think there is a person on this team who doesn't know how big this is for us, how we need this game for our future, for our present, for everything."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3120600
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

g$$
11-20-2007, 05:17 PM
How's that pressure at Bama treating you Nick? Not too well judging by his irrational comments.

He's getting what he deserves, just like BCG at Kentucky.

Good info. EV

Phil C
11-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by g$$
How's that pressure at Bama treating you Nick? Not too well judging by his irrational comments.

He's getting what he deserves, just like BCG at Kentucky.

Good info. EV

I'm sure he is under pressure g$$ but a football game loss is nothing compared to Pearl Harbor or 9/11. Very irrational indeed.

g$$
11-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I'm sure he is under pressure g$$ but a football game loss is nothing compared to Pearl Harbor or 9/11.

Agreed, thus why I said "irrational comments" Phil C. He was off-base for sure to draw those comparisons.

Gobbla2001
11-20-2007, 06:29 PM
everybody always blows these military comparisons up too much...

the dude obviously wasn't saying his team was The US and wasn't saying the other team was the terrorists...

what'd you want him to say?

"Just like when Betty Crocker's kitchen burned down... she didn't stop, and now everyone buys Betty Crocker"???

The man obviously thinks highly of his country and the way it has bounced back after these attacks or he wouldn't have used it as an example... if that is the analogy he chose so be it... the man meant no disrespect...

if this was bum phillips or someone no one would give a crap....

g$$
11-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Bum would not be that stupid. Saban even had a PR spokesman from Bama issue an apology. He couldn't do it himself? It's the world we live in & he messed up.

No respect for Saban, none. When he coached DBs for the Oilers, players called him Coach Satan! Just a horse's rear. He has quit on the last 2 jobs he had. I hope he fails at Bama.

Gobbla2001
11-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Most universities speak for their coaches when their coaches are under fire... coaches aren't speakers first off... they answer questions, come up with some analogies here and there and that's that...

I'm confused... was Saban's grandparents and parents not part of the bouncing back of America after Pearl Harbor happened? Was Saban himself and his team not a part of American when it bounced back after 9/11? He had every right to say what he said... these people are making mountains out of ant-beds...

his whole "I am not taking the Alabama job" comments while at Miami are the main reason people are jumping all over the guy... he's under the microscope and has been... he's the ass-end of a lot of jokes these days...

People need either A.) Grow tougher skin or B.) stop commenting on crap JUST BECAUSE they don't like the person involved...

A lot of coaches have quit their last two jobs, btw... rag on them as well...

Gobbla2001
11-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Bum would not be that stupid.

BTW... Didn't Bum allow one of his coaches (forget which one) to let the player of the game wear some type of military helmet or something (instead of getting the game ball)? Nah... Bum wouldn't be that stupid...

(btw, I've always heard of this, but could never find anything on it... someone ended up complaining and they stopped doing it)...

Gobbla2001
11-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
BTW... Didn't Bum allow one of his coaches (forget which one) to let the player of the game wear some type of military helmet or something (instead of getting the game ball)? Nah... Bum wouldn't be that stupid...

(btw, I've always heard of this, but could never find anything on it... someone ended up complaining and they stopped doing it)...

okay, now that I think about it I was either the DC under another regime or a whole other HC... but I'm not 100% on that... who did that? I've heard about it on the radio a few different times when the Houston guys talk about the old Oilers... always thought it was while Bum was there... may have been... but not positive...

18handicap
11-21-2007, 12:24 AM
You all know that I'm enjoying the heck out of Satan (Saban) getting beat like this. Yes, he was the head coach of our national championship and I really appreciate it, but if you want my opinion, I can tell you, and it will get deleted. I can tell you this as an example: Our team comes down "Victory Hill" about 2 hours before gametime. -- When Saban was the coach, he walked down the middle of the street and didn't acknowledge the huge crowds lining the street. Miles will wave, stop and shake hands, and speak to the crowd -- heck, before the Florida game, he even kissed a baby like he was the Pope. I thought it was cool that he was enjoying it unlike Saban.

I know we might lose Miles to Michigan, but I don't blame him for going back to his alma mater. I would probably do the same thing. But Saban has turned his back on Louisiana and he just continues to be that little pompous a@& that thinks he God's gift to coaching. Alabama deserves him.

JR2004
11-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
You all know that I'm enjoying the heck out of Satan (Saban) getting beat like this. Yes, he was the head coach of our national championship and I really appreciate it, but if you want my opinion, I can tell you, and it will get deleted. I can tell you this as an example: Our team comes down "Victory Hill" about 2 hours before gametime. -- When Saban was the coach, he walked down the middle of the street and didn't acknowledge the huge crowds lining the street. Miles will wave, stop and shake hands, and speak to the crowd -- heck, before the Florida game, he even kissed a baby like he was the Pope. I thought it was cool that he was enjoying it unlike Saban.

I know we might lose Miles to Michigan, but I don't blame him for going back to his alma mater. I would probably do the same thing. But Saban has turned his back on Louisiana and he just continues to be that little pompous a@& that thinks he God's gift to coaching. Alabama deserves him.

Well said.

TexanAlum_06
11-21-2007, 12:43 AM
They talk about alcoholics and people like that who never ever change until they hit rock bottom Well, they change because when they hit rock bottom they have an awareness, they have an acceptance and a commitment to change. That's what our players need to do right now because in the past two weeks since the LSU game, I haven't seen the same spirit, I haven't seen the same work ethic.

--Saban

"That's what our players need to do right now because in the past two weeks since the LSU game, I haven't seen the same spirit, I haven't seen the same work ethic. That's something we've got to get right."

The Tide has had off-the-field troubles in addition to a disappointing season. In the latest cases, five players were suspended for the past four games for improper receipt of textbooks and receiver DJ Hall was held out in the first half of the Louisiana-Monroe game for violating team rules. All those players are back for the Iron Bowl.

He said that reason has to do with suspensions, players being late to meetings or not focusing in practice. Then, there's the on-the-field problems.

"Not finishing plays. Not finishing games. Not finishing the season," Saban said. "You get humiliated, and that's basically what happened."

It would be nice for mack & co to take some notes from this speech...... hmmmm......... I just saw the press conference on espn and how he was talking about sugar coating things and hwo he wasnt going to sugar coat things for the players and pat them on the back when they do something wrong ON/OFF the field...... I agree..... Mack are you listening?

g$$
11-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

You are way confused on eras buddy. That was Jerry Glanville, a complete nutjob former coach (players wore Army helmets before games, etc.). No affiliation whatsoever with Bum Phillips & Luv Ya Blue. Not even as asst. coach.

Bum was & is a class act. Coached Oilers in mid to late 1970s until 1980, great years & 2 AFC title games too. Then on to Saints, etc. after dispute with Bud Adams. Lives in Goliad now on ranch, father of Wade. Good man.

Yes, universities have media relations people. But Saban preaches accountability - in this case, he should have spoken for himself to clarify. He did not & deserves the ridicule he is getting. Stupid analogies. He is hated in coaching circles for a reason. Move to Bama if you love him so much. I hope he fails big-time. Not scared to cheat either. Well-known for that too.

g$$
11-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06

--Saban

It would be nice for mack & co to take some notes from this speech...... hmmmm......... I just saw the press conference on espn and how he was talking about sugar coating things and hwo he wasnt going to sugar coat things for the players and pat them on the back when they do something wrong ON/OFF the field...... I agree..... Mack are you listening?

Some of what he said was fine, while others crossed the line of proper morals & ethics. Man can coach & he is still a horse's rear too.

PlayaJBiehl20
11-21-2007, 01:23 AM
I think people are making way to big of deal out of this. He was just saying that they needed to show the perserverance after something bad happens as americans did after 9/11, he was comparing the way people acted after something bad happened, not the actually comparing a football game to a bombing.

g$$
11-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by PlayaJBiehl20
I think people are making way to big of deal out of this. He was just saying that they needed to show the perserverance after something bad happens as americans did after 9/11, he was comparing the way people acted after something bad happened, not the actually comparing a football game to a bombing.

That's exactly the stupid part. You don't compare football or any other sport to war or bombings or alcoholism, etc. It belittles the real stuff going on in our world. Call it PC or whatever, but just not a smart thing to do. He should know better as a person in the news.

PlayaJBiehl20
11-21-2007, 01:31 AM
I love how everyone cries about everything that is Politically Correct. If he said something you didn't like, then disagree and be done, I don't think that you could take a position that he's in and say everything right and please everyone. You have people who wil criticize fore you sugar coating things then you'll have others wanting you to be Politically Correct.

g$$
11-21-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm not into PC, but you have to be smarter than that. He was not & deserves the ridicule. It seems to follow him too.

PlayaJBiehl20
11-21-2007, 01:35 AM
I just think that everyone grips way too much. You know as well as I do that we live i a world where if your opinion isn't neutral or doesn't go along with the rest of the world, especially as a coach or an athlete then its wrong and ridiculed.

g$$
11-21-2007, 01:39 AM
That's why it is best in that position to say nothing controversial unrelated to his football team. He brought unneeded attention to himself & program during game week vs. Auburn. It was stupid any way you cut it.

TexanAlum_06
11-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Some of what he said was fine, while others crossed the line of proper morals & ethics. Man can coach & he is still a horse's rear too. Yeah some of what was said was a little overboard. I just get Irrate whenever I see him clap his hands and say good job dont worry about that one after JC fumbles for the 3rd time or Colt just threw his 3rd INT of the game, sometimes positive encouragment is the way to go BUT sometimes you need to get in a players A$$ and tell him to get his S&^% straight! The only time I will see him pull a player for messing up is for a personal foul.... ugh COUGH killebrew COUGH. but thats a good thing, we are a better football team defensively with him on the sidelines IMHO. same goes for Derry. im glad to see both of them go after this season. I know they are more experienced then the younger guys but bottom line is, the younger guys just seem to make more plays and to show up just at the right time, and thats what this Scorched UT defense needs.

g$$
11-21-2007, 01:46 AM
No doubt, that is not Mack's style. And the 2nd team LBs are better for sure. I hope Derry & Killebrew play a lot Friday! Derry got trucked last year on winning score.

TexanAlum_06
11-21-2007, 01:56 AM
when is Derry not getting trucked? LOL. yes we have a better chance for Victory if the 2nd team LBers are on the field, with them on the field we prolly increase our defensive 40 yard dash average by a second! hahah. thats what we need this week, to get sideline to sideline and close the running lanes on the option attack. yeah I know that is not mack's style, I like Akina because he will light into some of his DB's but personally I think he eithers needs a demotion or he needs the BOOT. maybe we have a chance of getting Greg Robinson back after he gets S&^$canned from syracuse. if you think about it, the last defense we had that was solid statistically from top to bottom was when Robinson was here....

18handicap
11-21-2007, 09:21 AM
I know there are people thinking that there is being made too much of Satan's comments, but for us LSU alums out there, we will blow up anything that he says, especially if it is negative. I think we will be this irate until he comes into Tiger Stadium and we beat the crap out of him next year.

If you think the LSU fans are blowing this up, you should read the Alabama forums and the Birmingham and Tuscaloosa newspapers and tv stations. WOW! I think the Bear is turning over in his grave right now.

Maroon87
11-21-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm far from the most PC person on Earth, but equating a football game to 9/11? Pull your head out of your butt, Saban!:doh:

g$$
11-22-2007, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
I know there are people thinking that there is being made too much of Satan's comments, but for us LSU alums out there, we will blow up anything that he says, especially if it is negative. I think we will be this irate until he comes into Tiger Stadium and we beat the crap out of him next year.

If you think the LSU fans are blowing this up, you should read the Alabama forums and the Birmingham and Tuscaloosa newspapers and tv stations. WOW! I think the Bear is turning over in his grave right now.

Get 'em 18. Good stuff buddy. Stay in touch.

Old Tiger
11-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Poor Bama.....in the same boat as a ND. Fans and media want them to be great but they just aren't what they are cut out to be.