PDA

View Full Version : Good Piece on Vernon's Safety/QB

Dominicfrank
11-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Williams shines on both sides of the ball
By Zach Duncan
Monday, November 19, 2007

Darien Williams tells people he's not a quarterback.

Rather, the Vernon standout is a hard-hitting safety who just so happens to play quarterback in his spare time.

The senior prefers the defensive side of the football, where as a three-year starter he looks forward to lighting up opposing tailbacks and receivers who foolishly travel in his direction.

And that's where colleges have him pegged to play. Williams has verbally committed to signing a football scholarship with North Texas.

But as the Lions march toward their goal of a state title, Williams undoubtedly will play a prominent role as Vernon's signal-caller, too.

His offensive stats aren't too impressive, only because talented running backs Ray Daniels and Craig Whiteside, plus wingback Demetrias Murray, line up behind him.

In fact, Williams is more of a caretaker of the Vernon offense, which averages 280 rushing yards per game. But don't forget about him, because he can make defenses pay with his quickness by rolling out on bootlegs or keeping the ball on the option.

"Playing quarterback is another challenge for me," Williams said. "We have lots of weapons, which comes in handy."

He shared the quarterback role with Williams Miller early last season, entering games when Vernon was operating out of the shotgun. But a shoulder injury limited his effectiveness midway through the year, so Williams played solely on defense during the Lions' jaunt to the 3A state semifinals.

However, there was no question Williams would be inserted into the starting spot this year.

"He has a lot of belief in us, and we have a lot of belief in him," Vernon coach Keith Hall said. "Sometimes I'm pretty hard on him because I expect so much of him."

Hall isn't the only one who expects a lot out of his playmaker, who has snagged interceptions during critical times in wins against Graham and Perryton the past three weeks.

Last year was the first time the Vernon coach included everyone eligible for captainship, not just seniors. Sure enough, Williams was the lone junior elected to the esteemed role.

"That told me a lot of what of what they thought of him," Hall said. "He's a great young man. It's nice to have No. 11 on our sidelines."

He's rarely on the sidelines, though. When not playing quarterback, Williams is busy making a team-high five interceptions, and his 62 tackles entering the Perryton game trailed only Tanner Kieschnick and Jesus Lora for the lead.

Williams is equally adept at covering pass-happy teams and creeping toward the line of scrimmage to slow down running teams.

This Friday, when the Lions take on Sweetwater in the Area round, Williams and the rest of the unit will see much of the latter. Sweetwater racked up 440 rushing yards in a bi-district win against Bridgeport.

But like most things thrown his way this year, Williams and the ninth-ranked Lions should be ready.

"So far, it's going pretty good," Williams said of the season. "We're 10-1 and right where we want to be."

Stownhorse
11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
North Texas.......

DaHop72
11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
That is a very good article on this young man. I was very impressed with his passing. He has great arm strength and can throw on the run as good as most can dropping back in the pocket.

lion75
11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Both of Vernon's safeties (Williams and Daniels) are big, fast and will clock you.

bigron15
11-20-2007, 02:01 PM
and they can talk a lot of crap. i was leaving the vernon-sweetwater scrimmage and the QB just started talking crap to me. all i was doing was walking. he left a bad impression on me.

lion75
11-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by bigron15
and they can talk a lot of crap. i was leaving the vernon-sweetwater scrimmage and the QB just started talking crap to me. all i was doing was walking. he left a bad impression on me. Are you a player or an adult fan. If you were a player that might be understandable. If you are an adult fan, I would have to say that wouldn't be cool.

bigron15
11-20-2007, 03:02 PM
well i graduated last year and was minding my own business walking back to my truck. it still isnt cool

lion75
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
well i graduated last year and was minding my own business walking back to my truck. it still isnt cool Were you in uniform?

Stownhorse
11-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by lion75
Were you in uniform?

No he wasnt. Its funny sometimes that peoples on field performance covers their stupidity behind the scenes. They are just great people because they are a star on the field. Reminds me of plenty of athletes from Sweetwater.

bigron15
11-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Were you in uniform?

no lol. how would i be in uniform if i graduated last year lol? would it matter if i was?:thinking:

lion75
11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
no lol. how would i be in uniform if i graduated last year lol? would it matter if i was?:thinking: You would be in uniform if it happened at last years scrimmage. It would only be understandable if there were problems with Swater players during the scrimmage and he was mouthing walking out. That's what I was trying to understand. It wasn't a clear picture. Based on what you've now said, I would agree. That's not cool.

bigron15
11-20-2007, 03:27 PM
nope it was at this years scrimmage. i was very shocked. i didnt expect it

lion75
11-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
No he wasnt. Its funny sometimes that peoples on field performance covers their stupidity behind the scenes. They are just great people because they are a star on the field. Reminds me of plenty of athletes from Sweetwater. I'm just trying to get a clear picture.

bigron15
11-20-2007, 03:30 PM
he was talking about an athlete from sweetwater. how they put up a front to the parents and teachers but at school and to the students acts like a real punk

swstangs001
11-20-2007, 04:09 PM
and they can talk a lot of crap. i was leaving the vernon-sweetwater scrimmage and the QB just started talking crap to me. all i was doing was walking. he left a bad impression on me.

are you talking about what "you said under your breath"....

bigron15
11-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by swstangs001
are you talking about what "you said under your breath"....

yea when i didnt say anything at all lol. i dont remember telling u that story

swstangs001
11-20-2007, 05:17 PM
yea when i didnt say anything at all lol. i dont remember telling u that story

yeah cuz we left the scrimmage and we went to the spot?? i thnk and you told me

lion75
11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by swstangs001
yeah cuz we left the scrimmage and we went to the spot?? i thnk and you told me Now the real story comes out.

bigron15
11-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Now the real story comes out.

what do u mean?

Dominicfrank
11-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Darien is a good kid and I look forward to seeing him play for the MEAN GREEN next year.