PDA

View Full Version : DISD teams/officials

3afan
11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
interesting ... just spoke to a DFW area official, he's a white hat with his own crew, did Round Rock/A&M Consolidated last week ...

he told me that any game that involves a Dallas ISD team must have an African-American official on the crew

that seems amazing to me ...

kaorder1999
11-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
interesting ... just spoke to a DFW area official, he's a white hat with his own crew, did Round Rock/A&M Consolidated last week ...

he told me that any game that involves a Dallas ISD team must have an African-American official on the crew

that seems amazing to me ...

i dont believe that is correct. The head coaches draft the crews they want in the preseason. Its possible that all the coaches choose crews with at least one African-American official but I do not believe that is a requirement.

3afan
11-30-2007, 11:42 AM
this is for playoffs, not regular season ... my source guy should know cause he is a white hat with his own crew and got "drafted" to sub on a crew for a early DISD playoff game

kaorder1999
11-30-2007, 11:46 AM
but this may be an individual's coaches deal, not the Districts. If its DISD versus DISD then I can understand it happeneing just for political reasons but if DISD is playing someone outside of the District, the District cannot require it. This is interesting. I want to look further into this.

whtfbplaya
11-30-2007, 12:48 PM
It is probably not a district policy, but many teams/coaches set requirements for officials.
They say: division, race, age, height, and many other things.

3afan
11-30-2007, 02:44 PM
well obviously i'm just going by what the guy said to me ... thats the extent of my knowledge

kaorder1999
11-30-2007, 03:53 PM
of course...i knew that...im very interested it though. I want to research it...

VAMike
12-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Not unusual at all for officiating crews to have ethnic makeup requirements. Coaches can mandate it and sometimes when games are assigned to a Chapter by UIL, UIL can require it.

Matthew328
12-01-2007, 07:06 AM
I could see that happening just to avoid anyone even thinking something crazy would happen...preventative maintenence...

VAMike
12-01-2007, 07:33 AM
I think it is a misguided effort and one that implies an official has some inherent bias. If he does, he should not be on the field, any field.

Those who remember the "Friday Night Lights" book and movie will recall a scene where Permian and Carter coaches went round and round on officials for their game until finally there was a quota set. That was a true story.

3afan
12-01-2007, 09:10 AM
FYI - watching HP-SOC now and there are 2 African-American officials on the crew

FYI