PDA

View Full Version : Regarding 1972 Miami Dolphins in comparison to 2007 Patriots!

Phil C
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM
New England has a chance to go 16 - 0 and perhaps to 19-0 to be the first team to go undefeated since the 1972 Dolphins who went 17 - 0 in 1972.
If the Patriots do it that would have to be more impressive than the 1972 Dolphins. Already during the regular season the Patriots have already beaten several teams that should get to the playoffs.
The 1972 Dolphins had everything in the regular season go right for it. I know that on any given day the last place team can beat a top team because it has been done and I don't intend to down play the Dolphins great achivement but I still feel that there are some things that need to be pointed out on their regular season games. Also remember the Dolphins played 14 regular season games while the Patriots will have to play 16.

During the 1972 regular season the Dolphins did not play any team that got into the playoffs. The only teams with a winning record were Kansas City and New York Giants at 8 - 6. Kansas City had been a powerful team in the late 60s and early 70s but in 1972 they were on a downward trend.

Minnesota and the New York Jets were 7 - 7 but the Jets who were a powerful team were on a downward trend and Minnesota had great teams in the 60s and 70s but in 1972 they were caught in a down year.

Baltimore had been a super bowl champions a few years before but they were in a downward trend too at 5 - 9.

All the other teams won 4 or less games that year.

I know that on any given Sunday any team can lose to a much weaker team but the 1972 Dolphins did have a very soft easy schedule. Much easier in comparison to the 2007 Patriots.

crzyjournalist03
11-20-2007, 12:17 PM
and the '72 Dolphins didn't have Tom Brady either...

Maroon87
11-20-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm really sick of hearing about both of those teams.

Phil C
11-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm really sick of hearing about both of those teams.

:confused:

big daddy russ
11-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
and the '72 Dolphins didn't have Tom Brady either...
No, they had Earl Morrall.

That's right, HOF quarterback Bob Greise was injured a few games into the season (I think it was during the fourth game) and aging, 38-year-old vet Morrall guided them to the Super Bowl.

The Pats didn't overcome the loss of their best player. The 'Fins did. I hate New England, Bill Belichek's a cheater, and Mike Vrabel wears womens' underwear.

Phil C
12-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Now that the 2007 Regular Season games are over I can state what the 2007 Patriots did compared to the Dolphins (which I have already stated earlier.

This year during the regular season the Patriots had to play 16 games compared to the Dolphins 14. The Patriots played 7 teams that had winning records and one that had an 8-8 record.
Of the seven teams that had winning records 6 of them are in the playoffs including the top seeded NFC team. 2 of the teams had 13-3 record, 1 had 11-6 record, 2 had 10 - 6 records and 1 had a 9 - 7 record. The winning team that didn't make the playoffs had a 10 - 6 record.

A much harder schedule that the 1972 Dolphins.

Sweetwater Red
12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Watch video of the '72 Dolphins. It's like watching todays NFL
in slow motion. These Dolphins aren't even one of the top 5
best teams of all time.

SpeedOption
12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Comparing games the Pats would be in the SB at this point, not just starting the playoffs. They have to win 2 more games than the Fins to have an undefeated season.

crzyjournalist03
12-31-2007, 12:22 PM
If the Pats lose before the Super Bowl, the regular season will prove meaningless anyway.

Phil C
12-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
If the Pats lose before the Super Bowl, the regular season will prove meaningless anyway.

That is true. Only two other NFL teams had perfect regular season records. In a way it was one team but it was the 1934 Chicago Bears that had a 13-0-0 reocrd and the 1942 Chicago Bears that had a 11-0-0 record. There were only two teams that got into the playoffs for the NFL Championship and that was one from the Western and Eastern Divisions. These Bear teams were to lose both NFL championship games.
The 1934 Bears lost to the New York Giants in New York 30-13 and the 1942 Bears lost to the Washington Redskins in Washington 14-6. Records back then didn't give you the home field advantage for the championship game but rather they rotated for many years.

Phil C
12-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Oh by the way the QB of the 1942 Washington team that denied the Bears a completely perfect record was Sammy Baugh of Sweetwater, Texas. He also played for TCU in college.

STANG RED
12-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Oh by the way the QB of the 1942 Washington team that denied the Bears a completely perfect record was Sammy Baugh of Sweetwater, Texas. He also played for TCU in college.

Make that "Slingin Sammy Baugh" Phil.:D

Also, something most people dont know is; Sammy had a brother that also played for Sweetwater during the same time that was reported to be an even better athlete than Sammy:eek: . I used to know his name, but it escapes me now. Anyway, he got married right out of high school and went straight to work (went into the service later I think) instead of going to college.

Phil C
12-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Make that "Slingin Sammy Baugh" Phil.:D

Also, something most people dont know is; Sammy had a brother that also played for Sweetwater during the same time that was reported to be an even better athlete than Sammy:eek: . I used to know his name, but it escapes me now. Anyway, he got married right out of high school and went straight to work (went into the service later I think) instead of going to college.

Interesting news STANG and thanks for sharing. A lot of people don't know but Slingin Sammy was not only a great passer but also a good runner plus a good punter.