PDA

View Full Version : OU's Murray out for Okie St. game!!

PHS Wildcats
11-19-2007, 09:50 PM
It happend on the onsides kick against Tech. He was being help off the field.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma's leading rusher DeMarco Murray has a dislocated kneecap and will miss Saturday's game against Oklahoma State.

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

The Sooners will miss injured DeMarco Murray, who ran into trouble trying to recover an onside kick against Texas Tech.

Murray, who has 764 yards and 13 touchdowns for the 10th-ranked Sooners, was injured while trying to recover an onside kick in the final minute of a 34-27 loss at Texas Tech. The loss knocked Oklahoma (9-2, 5-2 Big 12) out of the national championship picture.

Murray also returned two kickoffs for touchdowns this season, and his 15 total touchdowns match Adrian Peterson's school record for a freshman.

"It's just a gut feeling of how it's going to feel," coach Bob Stoops said Monday. "Those usually can be pretty sore, and I'm sure it will be."

Murray was among four Oklahoma players injured against Texas Tech. Quarterback Sam Bradford sustained a concussion, and Stoops said his playing status will be determined later in the week.

"Sam did some things, and I'm not going to go through an hourly update," Stoops said after practice. "We'll see. He did some things today, but that doesn't mean anything."

Bradford is the nation's top-rated passer, just ahead of Florida's Tim Tebow, and has 28 touchdowns with only six interceptions. He was replaced by Joey Halzle in the first quarter Saturday, and Stoops said that might have had an impact on the Sooners' season-worst 106 yards rushing.

"We had some spurts where it was OK, but it wasn't near consistent enough," Stoops said. "But I know it makes it harder too when maybe our passing threat isn't what it has been either. That, I think, put a definite different complexion on the game for us."

Murray led Oklahoma with 92 yards on 19 carries, and starter Allen Patrick carried only twice for 9 yards. Patrick fumbled on his first carry and Bradford was injured while tackling Tech linebacker Marlon Williams, who recovered the loose ball.

Halzle, who had split time with freshman Keith Nichol as Bradford's backup earlier in the season, completed 21 of 41 passes for 291 yards with two touchdowns and one interception in his first significant playing time.

Stoops said he'd feel comfortable if Halzle had to start in Bradford's place this week.

"Those guys will get of course more work this week in being prepared. I thought again that the little bit of work he's had through the whole fall, he came in and stepped up," Stoops said. "I felt even on the sideline and his whole attitude over the whole situation the other week was positive in how he handled it all."

Trainer Scott Anderson said Bradford had a sensor in his helmet intended to gather information on concussions, but it did not detect enough force to pass an experimental threshold believed to indicate when concussions occur.

"We have that threshold set, but in any given game we have a number of people that exceed the threshold and then have absolutely no symptoms whatsoever," Anderson said. "Based on our research and information that other institutions are using as well, it's not uncommon that concussions are going to occur below that threshold.

"The consensus opinion is when it's over and done with, the threshold for a concussion probably is going to drop."

Anderson said Bradford had shown improvement since Saturday but preferred not to address his individual case. He said there's no surefire way to know whether someone has recovered enough from a concussion that it's safe to play, other than that there are no post-concussion symptoms lingering.

"If you went through the research that's been done at the collegiate level, it's not uncommon for them to be back in a six- to seven-day window," Anderson said. "If they have a concussion, they can come back and play the following week. That's probably the norm."

Receiver Adron Tennell tore his ACL and will miss the rest of the season, and Alan Davis became the third Sooners defensive end injured this season.

John Williams is out for the season after surgery on a torn Achilles' tendon, and Big 12 sacks leader Auston English has missed the past two games with a hairline fracture in his right leg. The Sooners had hoped English would return last week.

"He did a little bit and is getting closer, but again it's just too early in the week to know," Stoops said.

crzyjournalist03
11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
No Murray + No Bradford = Mayhem in the Big XII South!!!

KTJ
11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Bradford hasn't been told to sit out yet. He's still practicing and I bet you $1 that Stoops will find a way to get Bradford cleared to play.

crzyjournalist03
11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Bradford hasn't been told to sit out yet. He's still practicing and I bet you $1 that Stoops will find a way to get Bradford cleared to play.

Too rich for my blood...I fold! :D ;)

Big Papa
11-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Too rich for my blood...I fold! :D ;)

so let me get this straight....the sooners lose and UT is in the big 12 championship no matter if they win or lose

JasperDog94
11-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
so let me get this straight....the sooners lose and UT is in the big 12 championship no matter if they win or lose If OU and UT lose, then there's a 3 way tie for first in the South. Right? Then there's some big complicated formula?

crzyjournalist03
11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If OU and UT lose, then there's a 3 way tie for first in the South. Right? Then there's some big complicated formula?

yeah, but the tiebreaker will belong to the Longhorns based on the number four team being Tech, with OSU and UT having wins over Tech, eliminating OU since they lost to Tech, then UT beat OSU head to head, so they're in.

A Sooners loss puts UT into the Big XII championship.