PDA

View Full Version : Too funny

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Sadie (Waller, TX): Why has Texas A&M had such trouble finding a halfway decent coach? With our talent, there's no reason we shouldn't be contending for the national championship every year. It's one of the top 3 jobs in college football. What's the problem?

Mark Schlabach: (2:38 PM ET ) Sorry, it's not one of the top three jobs in the country. When you have to fight a program like Texas in your own state, that eliminates the A&M job from the top 10 in the country, in my opinion.

navscanmaster
11-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Opinions, opinions.....Well, here's mine. Once a person has been to an Aggie game and toured the entire campus, it becomes one of the top jobs, IMO.:)

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 05:10 PM
So your saying that this job is up there with say a...
Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Florida

I don't think so. It's definately in the second tier of coaching jobs.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Casey, it would probably be in your best interest to just stop posting about A&M. You have no clue how ridiculous you look in your plight to down one school and claim Texas as the almighty. Get a life dude, this seriously isn't a healthy obsession, especially for someone who will never attend either university.

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Top 20 job. Sleeping giant as Darrell Royal once said. No reason you can't win big there given resources, location, conference, rep of school academically, facilities, etc.

Just have to get it done under the right coach. LSU was down, OU was down, Texas was down, USC was down, etc. Now look at them. New coaches changed things & won big. Bama is down right now too (now Saban...).

It is very cyclical in nature. Putting labels on it is very dangerous. Who would have put WVU in the mix 5 years ago? Same goes for Kansas & Mizzou now. Slippery slope.

navscanmaster
11-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Florida

The pay is great, and you can't beat the athletes in Texas. What I was saying is that if you had doubts about A&M being a respectable, high tier job, going to an Aggie game, touring the campus, and getting love from ex-presidents and the secretary of defense definitely sells you on the potential you would have as head coach of Texas A&M. The other programs doing well (Basketball, Soccer) definitely puts Texas A&M in the media's mouths more often during the year.

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by g$$

It is very cyclical in nature. Putting labels on it is very dangerous. Who would have put WVU in the mix 5 years ago? Same goes for Kansas & Mizzou now. Slippery slope. I wouldn't put either of those in it now. I forgot to mention LSU earlier.

Adidas410s
11-19-2007, 05:21 PM
I think it's odd how 1 bad coach = "having a problem finding a good coach"...

and no...A&M isn't in the Top 10 jobs in the country. It's MAAYYYBE around #20. Jobs I would put ahead of A&M (in no particular order:

Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Florida
LSU
Auburn
Alabama
Miami
Virginia Tech
Florida State
USC
UCLA
Notre Dame

Then you get to the 2nd tier of jobs...and A&M falls into this area (near the top of the tier...again in no order):

Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Oklahoma State, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Navy, Army

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't put either of those in it now. I forgot to mention LSU earlier.

How can you say that? If Kansas wins out, they are in the NC game.

Like I said, it is very cyclical. Not too long ago LSU's AD Joe Dean at the time bought their way out of contract with A&M because they were down & looking for a W (1994ish). Things have changed now, thus the point.

CenTexSports
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
A&M is in the same category as Ole Miss, Miss State, Georgia, South Carolina, Oregon, Cal, etc,

It is a good school with a good program but not the traditional football powerhouse or top twenty-five program that you think of with Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Texas, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State and others like it.

There are lots of good coaches that will give their left (fill in the blank) for the A&M job but it will be difficult to transform the program into the traditional powerhouse category.

Adidas410s
11-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Like I said, it is very cyclical. Not too long ago LSU's AD Joe Dean at the time bought their way out of contract with A&M because they were down & looking for a W (1994ish). Things have changed now, thus the point.

oddly enough...I keep hearing many an Aggie who wants LSU back on the schedule. Why I'm not sure...but it sure would be a good rivalry and could help A&M in recruiting.

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

and no...A&M isn't in the Top 10 jobs in the country. It's MAAYYYBE around #20. Jobs I would put ahead of A&M (in no particular order:

Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Florida
LSU
Auburn
Alabama
Miami
Virginia Tech
Florida State
USC
UCLA
Notre Dame

Then you get to the 2nd tier of jobs...and A&M falls into this area (near the top of the tier...again in no order):

Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Oklahoma State, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Navy, Army

Disagree somewhat. Georgia is a top job, Miami has major problems & new coach, NEB has tradition but not what they once were, Colorado is below A&M & others, etc.

Navy & Army are nowhere near the football factories due to built-in restrictions. They do well with what they have, but Tier 2 job? No way over time. Not 1940s & 1950s.

A&M is a Top 20 job.

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
A&M is in the same category as Ole Miss, Miss State, Georgia, South Carolina, Oregon, Cal, etc,

It is a good school with a good program but not the traditional football powerhouse or top twenty-five program that you think of with Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Texas, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State and others like it.

There are lots of good coaches that will give their left (fill in the blank) for the A&M job but it will be difficult to transform the program into the traditional powerhouse category.

Top 20 all-time in Wins. It can happen under right regime.

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Im not an Aggie fan but if you bring in the right coach this program could be turned into a contender. A&M is still a place you can recruit Texas kids too. If they can get a solid system in place and get the right kids to run it they could be possibly a top tier team again. I wouldnt mind seeing A&M good being that usually UT and A&M arent good in the same year the rivalry has been pushed back in the eyes of the national media. If both teams are annually in the top ten it adds so much more excitment to the after Thanksgiving game and a huge game on that day would probably help recruiting for both schools.

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:33 PM

A&M is having trouble finding a new coach? Search & process is underway, so how having trouble?

I think Byrne makes a good hire & things change. By no means is A&M having trouble finding a new coach. Why would you say that?

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Florida

Where's your tier cut line? Top 10, Top 20, Top 40, what?

Throwing around 2nd tier. etc. is very subjective. Where do you draw the line oh wise one?

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by g$$
A&M is having trouble finding a new coach? Search & process is underway, so how having trouble?

I think Byrne makes a good hire & things change. By no means is A&M having trouble finding a new coach. Why would you say that? i think you missed the boat on that one g$$

themsu97
11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Army and Navy in the same breath as ATM as far as college football programs just shows how ignorant or big of an aggie hater you are...

Georgia Tech is not even close either...

ATM could be a top 15 program, easily...

why would Steve Spurrier want the job? because the right coach would have that program back in no time... SPurrier alone would bring in the big recruits needed to get the program back... why would Tuberville leave Auburn? you would not leave a top notch program to go to a 2nd tier program...
sometimes the logic some of you use just proves how ignorant some of you are...
ATM is not in the same class as UT, but it is not that far behind

Adidas410s
11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Disagree somewhat. Georgia is a top job, Miami has major problems & new coach, NEB has tradition but not what they once were, Colorado is below A&M & others, etc.

Navy & Army are nowhere near the football factories due to built-in restrictions. They do well with what they have, but Tier 2 job? No way over time. Not 1940s & 1950s.

A&M is a Top 20 job.

I keep Georgia in the same tier with Clemson, Colorado, A&M, and Tennessee because they haven't won anything in recent memory (other than Tenn's 1 title w/ Tee Martin...a down year in but they're able to contend on a consistent basis. Then again, you can make the same case for Auburn...but they're consistently a Top 10 team where as the above mentioned 4 are consistently in the Top 25 range.

Nebraska had a drop off under Callahan...but they're still regarded as an elite program. 5 national championships since 1970 (and 3 in 4 years during the 90's) earns them that right. They're similar to ND...they can recruit most anybody they want even with a down program (by their standards). That IMO is a mark of an elite team.

Navy/Army are a different case as you well know. They were one of the top football programs in the country for the 1st half of the 20th century...but a paradigm shift in society has all but relegated them to a "special" status in college football. The decision to include them is a personal one...and one that many would agree with and others wouldn't. A job at those two schools would be strictly personal preference. I know it's basketball...but ask Knight or Coach K how they regard a job at USMA.

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i think you missed the boat on that one g$$

Explain. Fran is awful agreed, but how in the world is A&M having trouble right now getting quality candidates interested? You can win at A&M with changes made.

I need more here on why...the names being tossed around sure have name appeal (Spurrier, Tuberville, Tedford, etc.). No too long ago A&M was beating Texas 10/11 games. Won 40+ games when I was in school over 4 year period (granted SWC was weak, but still).

Explain.

Adidas410s
11-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I think Byrne makes a good hire & things change. By no means is A&M having trouble finding a new coach. Why would you say that?

Very first line in this thread...

Sadie (Waller, TX): Why has Texas A&M had such trouble finding a halfway decent coach?

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Explain. Fran is awful agreed, but how in the world is A&M having trouble right now getting quality candidates interested? You can win at A&M with changes made.

I need more here on why...the names being tossed around sure have name appeal (Spurrier, Tuberville, Tedford, etc.). No too long ago A&M was beating Texas 10/11 games. Won 40+ games when I was in school over 4 year period (granted SWC was weak, but still).

Explain. i mean i think he was being sarcastic with his post.

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
Army and Navy in the same breath as ATM as far as college football programs just shows how ignorant or big of an aggie hater you are...

why would Steve Spurrier want the job? because the right coach would have that program back in no time... SPurrier alone would bring in the big recruits needed to get the program back... why would Tuberville leave Auburn? you would not leave a top notch program to go to a 2nd tier program...

:clap: :clap: unbiased & knowledgeable, thanks

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Very first line in this thread...

My fault - you were quoting her & not yourself. My mistake.

I knew you were smarter than that Adidas!

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Place a school in the top coaching jobs just because of one year or a couple

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
:clap: :clap: unbiased & knowledgeable, thanks are you just saying that because he agrees with you?

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:49 PM
I keep Georgia in the same tier with Clemson, Colorado, A&M, and Tennessee because they haven't won anything in recent memory (other than Tenn's 1 title w/ Tee Martin...a down year in but they're able to contend on a consistent basis. Then again, you can make the same case for Auburn...but they're consistently a Top 10 team where as the above mentioned 4 are consistently in the Top 25 range.

Nebraska had a drop off under Callahan...but they're still regarded as an elite program. 5 national championships since 1970 (and 3 in 4 years during the 90's) earns them that right. They're similar to ND...they can recruit most anybody they want even with a down program (by their standards). That IMO is a mark of an elite team.

Navy/Army are a different case as you well know. They were one of the top football programs in the country for the 1st half of the 20th century...but a paradigm shift in society has all but relegated them to a "special" status in college football. The decision to include them is a personal one...and one that many would agree with and others wouldn't. A job at those two schools would be strictly personal preference. I know it's basketball...but ask Knight or Coach K how they regard a job at USMA.

Agreed for the most part. You can win at Georgia & some others you named. NEB is living off name & it is hard to recruit to Lincoln, NEB unless you are really winning. ND is much the same.

Service academies are special places, no doubt. Great kids too. But to put them in the 2nd tier is erroneous. They have their niche but it is not as consistent Top 25 programs.

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Top tier coaching jobs: Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, LSU, Florida, Alabama, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Auburn, and Miami

Second Tier Coaching jobs: A&M, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Florida State, West Virginia, Iowa, Wisconsin, Arizona State, Oregon, Arkansas, Georgia and Boise State.

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Place a school in the top coaching jobs just because of one year or a couple

I never said that Blue. I said this year Kansas & Mizzou are in the mix. Kansas is a basketball school (top 5 one too).

With parity (not parody Blue) & 85 scholarships now, teams can rise & fall much more fluidly. Just look at the landscape of college football. More have a chance & that shows with all the upsets & possible bowl match-ups. Look at Boise St. last year. Remember Utah under Meyer?

With smart hires & patience, more people have a chance now. A&M should be in the Top 25 every year given all the school has to offer on many levels. Lately, we have not been & that must change.

Adidas410s
11-19-2007, 05:54 PM

Your ignorance shows through with your first comment...I won't even try responding.

GT...4 national championships, most recently in 1990. When was A&M's last title again???

Why would Spurrier want the job? 2 reasons. Either 1) he's using A&M as leverage to get more money at South Carolina or 2) he wants out of the SEC, realizes that his 3rd tier job is peaked, and can make more money at A&M.

Nobody ever said Tuberville would leave Auburn. That's just the Ags hoping that can steal a coach from a more successful program away. The only reason he would leave is because of constant frustration with their head booster.

What is "getting A&M back" mean to you??? Finishing in the Top 3 of the conference on a consistent basis, competing for a conference championship, and sometimes playing in a New Years Day bowl??? Having a 8-4, 9-3, or 10-2 record on a consistent basis? That's what A&M was doing under Sherrill and Slocum. That is what a Top 20 program does. The Ags haven't finished in the Top 5 in the polls in 51 years so don't start throwing around the "we can win a national championship" idea when there is no track record that would indicate that you can.

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:57 PM
are you just saying that because he agrees with you?

No, because he makes good points & has no bias here. I respect what he posts. Very knowledgeable guy it seems to me.

Adidas410s
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Service academies are special places, no doubt. Great kids too. But to put them in the 2nd tier is erroneous. They have their niche but it is not as consistent Top 25 programs.

Note that I wasn't talking about the service academies as place where you can have a top 25 team. I was saying that it's a 2nd tier job IMO. To some people it would be 1st/2nd tier while others wouldn't consider it anymore. As a coach, you don't go a service academy to win national championships anymore.

g$$
11-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Your ignorance shows through with your first comment...I won't even try responding.

GT...4 national championships, most recently in 1990. When was A&M's last title again???

Why would Spurrier want the job? 2 reasons. Either 1) he's using A&M as leverage to get more money at South Carolina or 2) he wants out of the SEC, realizes that his 3rd tier job is peaked, and can make more money at A&M.

Nobody ever said Tuberville would leave Auburn. That's just the Ags hoping that can steal a coach from a more successful program away. The only reason he would leave is because of constant frustration with their head booster.

What is "getting A&M back" mean to you??? Finishing in the Top 3 of the conference on a consistent basis, competing for a conference championship, and sometimes playing in a New Years Day bowl??? Having a 8-4, 9-3, or 10-2 record on a consistent basis? That's what A&M was doing under Sherrill and Slocum. That is what a Top 20 program does. The Ags haven't finished in the Top 5 in the polls in 51 years so don't start throwing around the "we can win a national championship" idea when there is no track record that would indicate that you can.

But there were some Top 10 years - check 1985-1994 years - esp. early '90s. Ranked #3 before bowl loss to ND, etc. I agree we have a ways to go, but it can be done at A&M. Going to take major changes & patience to get it right.

Tuberville & Spurrier are more interested than you think. It is not a leverage thing either. They think you can win at A&M & in the Big 12.

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
But there were some Top 10 years - check 1985-1994 years - esp. early '90s. Ranked #3 before bowl loss to ND, etc. I agree we have a ways to go, but it can be done at A&M. Going to take major changes & patience to get it right.

Tuberville & Spurrier are more interested than you think. It is not a leverage thing either. They think you can win at A&M & in the Big 12. So your saying they want to leave the SEC because they are scared of the competition? Why would you want a coach who would leave a team because of the competition in his own conference?

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Casey, it would probably be in your best interest to just stop posting about A&M. You have no clue how ridiculous you look in your plight to down one school and claim Texas as the almighty. Get a life dude, this seriously isn't a healthy obsession, especially for someone who will never attend either university. I'll post about what I want to post about. I didn't make that conversation up. I didn't knock A&M I just thought it was funny

g$$
11-19-2007, 06:10 PM
So your saying they want to leave the SEC because they are scared of the competition? Why would you want a coach who would leave a team because of the competition in his own conference?

Never said that - but the SEC is deeper than the Big 12.

I think they believe A&M has what it takes to win nationally under the proper guidance & direction. Plus A&M has more resources (read $$) than almost anyone out there too.

DaHop72
11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Never said that - but the SEC is deeper than the Big 12.

I think they believe A&M has what it takes to win nationally under the proper guidance & direction. Plus A&M has more resources (read $$) than almost anyone out there too. Just say no to "VISOR".:devil:

themsu97
11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
so why would Miles leave LSU for Michigan, to be home...
others would leave because the SEC is a dominant conference, so by that it places some SEC schools above beloved TExas and Oklahoma and Nebraska...
ATM is not a 2nd tier school with some of the schools you mentioned... it is not an upper echelon school now, but it is revered as one of the better jobs in the nation... where was USC a few years ago before Carroll started recruiting in his backyard?
service academies did win national titles, and Rice and TCU were a power then as well... heck SMU had a great program in the late 70's and early 80's... not seeing too many people lining up for that one...
I am okay with the fact that some of you think what I say is dumb, I am okay with that by the fact of just reading what some of you post... there are many different opinions here and that is okay... but in my view, saying that CLemson, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Army, Colorado, Navy are in the same class as ATM is unreal...
but agreed that Michigan, Florida, LSU, and Texas are above them

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
No, because he makes good points & has no bias here. I respect what he posts. Very knowledgeable guy it seems to me. Adidas just poked a serious hole in that theory

themsu97
11-19-2007, 06:13 PM
really, those schools know that ATM has what it takes to recruit top notch Texas recruits to get the program back in the top 10 in the poles in no time... because of the calibur of kids that play high school football in Texas...
that is what some of you "experts" are missing

themsu97
11-19-2007, 06:14 PM
and not really eagles... he just talked around some of the things to try to prove the holes I put in his

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 06:14 PM
others would leave because the SEC is a dominant conference, so by that it places some SEC schools above beloved TExas and Oklahoma and Nebraska...
ATM is not a 2nd tier school with some of the schools you mentioned... it is not an upper echelon school now, but it is revered as one of the better jobs in the nation... where was USC a few years ago before Carroll started recruiting in his backyard?
service academies did win national titles, and Rice and TCU were a power then as well... heck SMU had a great program in the late 70's and early 80's... not seeing too many people lining up for that one...
I am okay with the fact that some of you think what I say is dumb, I am okay with that by the fact of just reading what some of you post... there are many different opinions here and that is okay... but in my view, saying that CLemson, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Army, Colorado, Navy are in the same class as ATM is unreal...

Look at USC's history ;)

All the Heisman trophy winners, NC's, and etc.

themsu97
11-19-2007, 06:16 PM
trust me, If anyone understands the history of schools and who played where and won what, it is I...
USC was a top program but what about some of the other things that are there...
heck, what has ND done lately? and they have more

g$$
11-19-2007, 06:17 PM

Just what I said earlier - TCU, Rice, & SMU were all very good at one time. Very good, like Jess Neely's teams at Rice, Sammy Baugh/Davey O'Brien at TCU, & the Pony Express at SMU. Times have changed.

USC was awful before Carroll came in & built it back.

Change can be a good thing. A&M should be in the mix & where we are now is unacceptable.

Good post MSU97.

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by g$$

USC was awful before Carroll came in & built it back.

. yea Marcus Allen and OJ Simpson sucked lol but i know what you mean but a&m was never on the level that USC once was

g$$
11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
trust me, If anyone understands the history of schools and who played where and won what, it is I...
USC was a top program but what about some of the other things that are there...
heck, what has ND done lately? and they have more

I'll go head-to-head with you MSU! I think between us we might have it covered...

g$$
11-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Adidas just poked a serious hole in that theory

No he did not, & I respect Adidas too. Just 2 guys having a convo that's all. Both made good points.

themsu97
11-19-2007, 06:22 PM
see, some of you guys are missing everything... we never said USC has always been awful... they were before Carroll showed up... don't forget Charles White either... USC a few years ago is where UCLA is now...
and like I have said, all ATM has to do is get a coach that can recruit Texas better, where the best football players are and they will be right back in the mix... that is what makes ATM so enticing to some coaches...

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 06:23 PM
It's hard for A&M to recruit Texas because of these three team; LSU, Oklahoma and Texas. That guy made a great point and i agree with him.

Regardless of who they bring in it will be tough.

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 06:24 PM
This is really a question of what you consider great. How much do you weigh what happened in the past to what is happening now? How important is the money you have involved in your program? Everyone looks at what makes a job good and what makes a program great differently so we will never be able to come to a true agreement on this argument.

g$$
11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
It's hard for A&M to recruit Texas because of these three team; LSU, Oklahoma and Texas. That guy made a great point and i agree with him.

All about winning. When A&M was winning, recruiting was not an issue vs. anybody. Look at NFL guys from those Aggie teams vs. now. Chicken & egg thing...

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I would like to add it's not what A&M could have that makes them second tier but it is their history that does. 1 National title and 1 heisman winner.

Serious Question: How many award winning players has A&M had? That also is a factor.

themsu97
11-19-2007, 06:29 PM
IF ATM were to get SPurrier, recruiting will not be an issue against those schools...kids will line up to play in Spurriers offense and Spurrier will be smart enough to go after those kids...
Tuberville may have more of a problem... but if Miles leaves for Michigan that may give the Aggies a leg up on the next coach...

g$$
11-19-2007, 06:33 PM
This is really a question of what you consider great. How much do you weigh what happened in the past to what is happening now? How important is the money you have involved in your program? Everyone looks at what makes a job good and what makes a program great differently so we will never be able to come to a true agreement on this argument.

True, in the end it is all about winning.

But, the more bells & whistles you have, the better the chances. Kids want the "wow" effect in recruiting. They want to play on tv in a major conference. They want to be the top dog & get all the attention.

Our state has plenty of talented kids (produce almost 400 D1 kids each year). Plenty to go around.

g$$
11-19-2007, 06:48 PM
I would like to add it's not what A&M could have that makes them second tier but it is their history that does. 1 National title and 1 heisman winner.

Serious Question: How many award winning players has A&M had? That also is a factor.

Dat Nguyen won national awards his senior year (like Lombardi, etc.). Shane Lechler did the same, AA & such. We have had many 1st round picks (had 3 in one year early '90s: Glenn, Adams, Bates).

Not too many years ago A&M had produced the most NFL guys in all of the Big 12 (yes more than NEB, Texas, OU, etc.). Not true now. Point is this stuff is cyclical & it can change again.

Kids don't know history anyway. They know right now.

g$$
11-19-2007, 06:50 PM
IF ATM were to get SPurrier, recruiting will not be an issue against those schools...kids will line up to play in Spurriers offense and Spurrier will be smart enough to go after those kids...
Tuberville may have more of a problem... but if Miles leaves for Michigan that may give the Aggies a leg up on the next coach...

Tuberville recruited many of the studs on the 1994 + team (DC under Slocum for 1 year). He has ties here. I don't see that as a problem at all. He recruited well at Auburn & could do so at A&M like he did before.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Kids don't know history anyway. They know right now.

Yep.

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Casey, it would probably be in your best interest to just stop posting about A&M. You have no clue how ridiculous you look in your plight to down one school and claim Texas as the almighty. Get a life dude, this seriously isn't a healthy obsession, especially for someone who will never attend either university. thats a little uncalled for

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-19-2007, 06:58 PM
thats a little uncalled for

Maybe, but at the same time, it's true. He has all the reasons as to why A&M sucks and UT is great. I think it's kind of stupid to dwell on the same topic over and over again for no reason.

g$$
11-19-2007, 07:00 PM
How's UMHB treating him anyway? Maybe he should cheer for "his" school with the same fervor he "roots" for his chosen Horns!

Just a thought...

big daddy russ
11-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I've been reading a little in the first two pages, had to throw in my two cents:

Those of you who think that A&M is not a top-tier job are completely wrong. I don't know if it's the Longhorn-flavored Kool Aid this board drinks or what, but a top job and a top program are two ENTIRELY different things. It's definitely a better job than the school I follow (Auburn).

These are the main things coaches look at when looking at jobs:

1. Pay
2. Facilities
3. Recruiting Base
4. Tradition/Program
5. Current Talent
5. Other factors that go into recruiting
6a. Alumni support
6b. Fan support
7. Other minor factors

PAY- TAMU has the resources to make anyone one of the top five wealthiest coaches in the nation. After what happened with Fran, they may not give the coach a Saban-like trend-setting contract, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them pony up well over $3 million for the right guy.

FACILITIES- Until Boone Pickens is finished, A&M has the best facilities in the Big XII, possibly the best in the nation.

RECRUITING BASE- Texas puts far more players on Division I rosters (nearly 100 more on the average year than runner-up Cal) than any other state. Louisiana puts out more Division I players per capita than any other state.

TRADITION/PROGRAM- No matter what people want to say about A&M being a third-tier program (like South Carolina), it's actually a second-tier program. It has a national championship, had an undefeated season within the last 15 years, and is well-known outside of the state. I know this is hard for most of the young 'uns to swallow, but Florida just recently passed up A&M as a program. They weren't much before the Ray Graves era. Before Spurrier won that Heisman, they were roughly the equivalent of Vanderbilt. A&M's on roughly the same level as LSU (yes, yes I said LSU), Auburn, and UCLA.

CURRENT TALENT- Tons in College Station. The backfield (McGee, Goodson, Lane) may be the most talented returning backfield in the Big XII (though the new coaching staff will have to rebuild McGee's confidence). Some good linemen, the best TE in the country, and some great players on defense. The DBs can man up against anyone in the nation, but talent will be needed at WR.

OTHER/OUTSIDE FACTORS- The fact that the new coach will have to go up against two of the three best recruiters in the nation (Stoops and Mack) is a negative, as is the fact that the facilities at OU and UT are nearly as good as the ones in College Station and they boast top-notch programs on top of it. Furthermore, when Boone Pickens is finished, there won't be a school that will be able to compete with those facilities for the next decade. Top that off with the fact that traditionally strong programs like Colorado, Oklahoma, Nebraska, LSU, Arkansas, and (though their tradition isn't as far-reaching) Kansas State have always had a strong showing here in Texas, and there's plenty of competition. Maybe not as much as in Florida or Cali, but still competition.

ALUMNI SUPPORT- TAMU has the the best alumni base in the Big XII this side of UT.

FAN SUPPORT- TAMU has arguably the best fans in the Big XII, though The Sea of Red (the other Big XII school that will probably have a coaching vacancy) would have something to say about that.

The biggest problem with TAMU will be recruiting against OU and UT. Those two schools have a stranglehold on the state's top talent. Other than that, though, it's easily a top-ten JOB.

g$$
11-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Informed post, good stuff.

I'm ready for the new coach to get started!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by g$$
How's UMHB treating him anyway? Maybe he should cheer for "his" school with the same fervor he "roots" for his chosen Horns!

Just a thought...

He doesn't got to UMHB.

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've been reading a little in the first two pages, had to throw in my two cents:

Those of you who think that A&M is not a top-tier job are completely wrong. I don't know if it's the Longhorn-flavored Kool Aid this board drinks or what, but a top job and a top program are two ENTIRELY different things. It's definitely a better job than the school I follow (Auburn).

1. Pay
2. Facilities
3. Recruiting Base
4. Tradition/Program
5. Current Talent
6a. Alumni support
6b. Fan support
7. Other minor factors

PAY- TAMU has the resources to make anyone one of the top five wealthiest coaches in the nation. After what happened with Fran, they may not give the coach a Saban-like trend-setting contract, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them pony up well over $3 million for the right guy.

FACILITIES- Until Boone Pickens is finished, A&M has the best facilities in the Big XII, possibly the best in the nation.

RECRUITING BASE- Texas puts far more players on Division I rosters (nearly 100 more on the average year than runner-up Cal) than any other state. Louisiana puts out more Division I players per capita than any other state.

TRADITION/PROGRAM- No matter what people want to say about A&M being a third-tier program (like South Carolina), it's actually a second-tier program. It has a national championship, had an undefeated season within the last 15 years, and is well-known outside of the state. I know this is hard for most of the young 'uns to swallow, but Florida just recently passed up A&M as a program. They weren't much before the Ray Graves era. Before Spurrier won that Heisman, they were roughly the equivalent of Vanderbilt. A&M's on roughly the same level as LSU (yes, yes I said LSU), Auburn, and UCLA.

CURRENT TALENT- Tons in College Station. The backfield (McGee, Goodson, Lane) may be the most talented returning backfield in the Big XII (though the new coaching staff will have to rebuild McGee's confidence). Some good linemen, the best TE in the country, and some great players on defense. The DBs can man up against anyone in the nation, but talent will be needed at WR.

OTHER/OUTSIDE FACTORS- The fact that the new coach will have to go up against two of the three best recruiters in the nation (Stoops and Mack) is a negative, as is the fact that the facilities at OU and UT are nearly as good as the ones in College Station and they boast top-notch programs on top of it. Furthermore, when Boone Pickens is finished, there won't be a school that will be able to compete with those facilities for the next decade. Top that off with the fact that traditionally strong programs like Colorado, Oklahoma, Nebraska, LSU, Arkansas, and (though their tradition isn't as far-reaching) Kansas State have always had a strong showing here in Texas, and there's plenty of competition. Maybe not as much as in Florida or Cali, but still competition.

ALUMNI SUPPORT- TAMU has the the best alumni base in the Big XII this side of UT.

FAN SUPPORT- TAMU has arguably the best fans in the Big XII, though The Sea of Red (the other Big XII school that will probably have a coaching vacancy) would have something to say about that.

The biggest problem with TAMU will be recruiting against OU and UT. Those two schools have a stranglehold on the state's top talent. Other than that, though, it's easily a top-ten JOB.
Well said but one thing i disagree on is Bennett is not the best TE in the country. He may be the best returning next year but right now hes not the best in the country

g$$
11-19-2007, 07:19 PM
He doesn't got to UMHB.

Wherever then - sure not Texas. Same point.

big daddy russ
11-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Well said but one thing i disagree on is Bennett is not the best TE in the country. He may be the best returning next year but right now hes not the best in the country
You could definitely argue that, but when you talk about the best, it always comes back to Bennett. They'll throw in John Carlson, Fred Davis, and Martin Rucker, but the argument's always between them and Martellus.

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Chase Koufman sp? from Missouri is up there too. I dont see how Bennett is the best he hasnt ever really done a whole lot imo to deserve the title. You can say ive been drinking too much of the longhorn kool-aid and i have had a few pretty big glasses recently but id rather have Jermicheal Finley on my team.

big daddy russ
11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Chase Koufman sp? from Missouri is up there too. I dont see how Bennett is the best he hasnt ever really done a whole lot imo to deserve the title. You can say ive been drinking too much of the longhorn kool-aid and i have had a few pretty big glasses recently but id rather have Jermicheal Finley on my team.
He hasn't done a lot, but I'm just talking about talent. Between him and Jorvorskie Lane, TAMU may have the two best sets of hands in the nation outside of their wideouts. Finley's good, and may wind up being great, but UT also throws the ball a lot more than the Ags. Finley gets the ball a lot more than Bennett, but I definitely wouldn't put him in Bennett's talent class just yet.

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 08:00 PM
He hasn't done a lot, but I'm just talking about talent. Between him and Jorvorskie Lane, TAMU may have the two best sets of hands in the nation outside of their wideouts. Finley's good, and may wind up being great, but UT also throws the ball a lot more than the Ags. Finley gets the ball a lot more than Bennett, but I definitely wouldn't put him in Bennett's talent class just yet. not doubting his talent he just seems to be more like the Vernon Davis type all the talent in the world but hasnt shown a whole lot to me on the field

big daddy russ
11-19-2007, 08:09 PM
not doubting his talent he just seems to be more like the Vernon Davis type all the talent in the world but hasnt shown a whole lot to me on the field
He just doesn't get the ball thrown his way as much. He doesn't have the quicks of a guy like Finley, but he has huge ups, catches everything thrown thrown within the radius of a small nuclear blast site, and is a better-than-average blocker.

rockdale80
11-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I think ATM has all the potential in the world to be a contender every year....if only they would get a coach to bring all the talent together to play as one. RC coached to keep it close and hopefully not lose, and well....

I dont know what Fran is thinking sometimes.

I hope they really do their homework and get the right for the job. I dont mean the coach with the big name necessarily, but the coach that will take what he has, put it together, and make it happen.

:)

and put in BBDE:D

zebrablue2
11-19-2007, 10:20 PM

1. Pay
2. Facilities
3. Recruiting Base
4. Tradition/Program
5. Current Talent
6a. Alumni support
6b. Fan support
7. Other minor factors

great post BDR....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-19-2007, 10:55 PM
He just doesn't get the ball thrown his way as much. He doesn't have the quicks of a guy like Finley, but he has huge ups, catches everything thrown thrown within the radius of a small nuclear blast site, and is a better-than-average blocker.

This is true. Martellus is by far the best TE in the Big XII.

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 11:05 PM
This is true. Martellus is by far the best TE in the Big XII. By far, probably not. Big 12 has great tight end play from top to bottom and they are all pretty even IMO.

Martin Rucker(Missouri)
Chase Kaufmen(Missouri)
JerMichael Finley(Texas)
Martellus Bennett(A&M)
Joe Jon Finley(Oklahoma)
Jermaine Gresham(Oklahoma)
Brandon Pettigrew(Oklahoma State)
Derek Fine(Kansas)

Big Papa
11-20-2007, 12:16 AM
By far, probably not. Big 12 has great tight end play from top to bottom and they are all pretty even IMO.

Martin Rucker(Missouri)
Chase Kaufmen(Missouri)
JerMichael Finley(Texas)
Martellus Bennett(A&M)
Joe Jon Finley(Oklahoma)
Jermaine Gresham(Oklahoma)
Brandon Pettigrew(Oklahoma State)
Derek Fine(Kansas)

agreed...OU's TE's are very good...and i think gresham is leading the nations TE's in receivin so far this year...Bennett is very good...as well as Finley who is just as athletic and maybe even more so than most TE's in the country

g$$
11-20-2007, 12:59 AM
This is true. Martellus is by far the best TE in the Big XII.

Very underrated blocker if you watch the games & iso on him. He destroys people. Very underutilized too by Frannie & company.

I hope he stays another year, but doubtful. Scouts love his upside.

rockdale80
11-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Very underrated blocker if you watch the games & iso on him. He destroys people. Very underutilized too by Frannie & company.

I hope he stays another year, but doubtful. Scouts love his upside.

Sadly, most of the talent at ATM is underutilized.

OUT WITH FRAN!:mad:

Darren
11-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Kirk Bohls (I know he is more than a little on the slow side) writes this article about the opening at Texas A&M.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/11/23/1123bohls.html?imw=Y

He makes a couple of decent points.....But did I mention that I think that he is semi-retarded?

Old Tiger
11-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Darren
Kirk Bohls (I know he is more than a little on the slow side) writes this article about the opening at Texas A&M.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/11/23/1123bohls.html?imw=Y

He makes a couple of decent points.....But did I mention that I think that he is semi-retarded? He wrote a good one about Duane Akina, I do believe.

Darren
11-23-2007, 12:40 PM
He wrote a good one about Duane Akina, I do believe.

You are correct....

Here it is.

http://www.statesman.com/search/content/sports/stories/longhorns/11/22/1122bohls.html