11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Any suggestions?

jason
11-19-2007, 12:40 PM
just get a dell with an extended gold warranty

good enough for a college kid

SUPERMANN5107
11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I bought a new Dell Inspiron 1521 for school. I like it alot and it hasnt given me any problems.

shankbear
11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Get a Dell dude

3afan
11-19-2007, 01:29 PM
i got a Gateway 2 yrs ago - 0 problems

Emerson1
11-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Don't get a gateway

Adidas410s
11-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Buy HP before you buy Dell. Once you have to make a service call...you will find HP's protection plan offers MUCH better service than Dell's. I've used HP's plan a few times over the years...they overnight you a return box...and 3 business days later (usually 2...one time 5) you'll have your computer back. Also, their tech support people are fairly easy to understand. Dell's on the other hand...HA :(

You could always buy a macbook online and get a student discount! :)

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

You could always buy a macbook online and get a student discount! :) Anymore info on this discount you would like to share?

I think i saw you posting on a NCAA forum.

jason
11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Buy HP before you buy Dell. Once you have to make a service call...you will find HP's protection plan offers MUCH better service than Dell's. I've used HP's plan a few times over the years...they overnight you a return box...and 3 business days later (usually 2...one time 5) you'll have your computer back. Also, their tech support people are fairly easy to understand. Dell's on the other hand...HA :(

You could always buy a macbook online and get a student discount! :) dell's tech support is just as good if you have extended coverage - not just the standard 'this is what comes with the computer' warranty

overnight box to send it in
overnight shipping for parts (if you can replace them yourself)
return packaging to send in defective parts...
plain speaking people who you can understand....

i think in the long run they are all comparable...

Adidas410s
11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by jason
dell's tech support is just as good if you have extended coverage - not just the standard 'this is what comes with the computer' warranty

overnight box to send it in
overnight shipping for parts (if you can replace them yourself)
return packaging to send in defective parts...
plain speaking people who you can understand....

i think in the long run they are all comparable...

I must have bad luck with them because I can never understand the people I talk to when I call in about my ext warranty.

jason
11-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I must have bad luck with them because I can never understand the people I talk to when I call in about my ext warranty. maybe we (tsu) have a special phone number to call for our tech support ??

lakers
11-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Definitely go with an HP. They are great computers and have very good warranties. The best way too go, is go to Circuit City or Best Buy.

Adidas410s
11-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by lakers
Definitely go with an HP. They are great computers and have very good warranties. The best way too go, is go to Circuit City or Best Buy.

no no no...buy through HP directly. I would take their warranty over the ones at BB/CC that are overpriced!

jason
11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by lakers
The best way too go, is go to Circuit City or Best Buy. in my professional opinion - i would rate that as one of the worst ways to go (but if you HAVE to buy at a retail store, go to wal mart or target)...

go through the manufacturer - you take out having to deal with the retailer when/if you have to have tech support - and it will probably be cheaper...

there's no point in involving another party if it's not necessary, it's just one more person trying to make a buck...

mistanice
11-19-2007, 02:59 PM

You could always buy a macbook online and get a student discount! :)

I had an HP before, and they did have good service for a while. I always had trouble with my laptop, and I sent it in 7 TIMES to get repaired. The screen was always going out and they could never fix it. I kept trying to get it replaced, but they always had some new requirements when I asked for a replacement. This went on until my warranty expired!! Last 2 laptops have been Dell, and they've been decent.

luvhoops34
11-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Make sure you get at least 2G of memory to handle Vista.

jason
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Make sure you get at least 2G of memory to handle Vista.

not totally necessary - if you are trying to conserve money on the notebook, chopping off a gig of ram will save you about a hundred bucks...

the lack of 1gb wont be noticeable unless you are doing a lot of multi-tasking that includes video/graphic processing or data processing (with a database) or things like that...

running internet explorer and microsoft word you are not going to know the difference...1gb will be fine...

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
for power users that is probably necassary.

I usually just have one broswer open and one application. Maybe 3 open or 4 at the most.

big daddy russ
11-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Anymore info on this discount you would like to share?

I think i saw you posting on a NCAA forum.
Click Here (http://www.shsu.edu/~ucs_www/)

Scroll down and look on the left margin. They'll give you discounts on Dell and Macs. Don't know how much you'll get off a Dell, but it's $100 off a Mac.

Another thing, try to get a copy of XP. My fiance's laptop came with Vista and the recommended 1GB of memory, but we switched back to XP pretty quick after buying it. Vista is still working on some bugs and has a bad habit of freezing up. Don't know if everything's been worked out yet, but they're supposed to have a Service Pack 2 coming out.

deer spotter
11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Any suggestions?
No Doubt,get a Dell with the gold warranty

sweetwater07
11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Buy HP before you buy Dell.

amen

SNYDER325TIGERS
11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
amen

get an apple buddy, there the best

SNYDER325TIGERS
11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
vista sucks!!!

RMAC
11-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
get an apple buddy, there the best

Yeah, if you want to learn how to use a computer again. Oh yeah, Vista does blow. They tried WAY too hard to make it like the Macs and I hate Macs.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Yeah, if you want to learn how to use a computer again. Oh yeah, Vista does blow. They tried WAY too hard to make it like the Macs and I hate Macs.

Don't listen to him, he's a Red Raider, and we all know what that means.

DU_stud04
11-19-2007, 07:38 PM
just wait for black friday and get one cheaper. might have to wake up and wait at the door for a few hours..... but it might be worth it

DU_stud04
11-19-2007, 07:41 PM
http://bfads.net/

Comeaux
11-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Ever wonder why the Mac Warranty and service plan is never brought up?
Everyone that has had a Dell, HP, ....Has had to use the warranty and worry about the service plan.

With a Mac You won't need it 9 time out of 10. All you have to do is use it and not worry about the bugs you get with microsoft.