PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't The DI and DII Winners Play Each Other?

TexanFan4Life
11-19-2007, 01:21 AM
That would produce ONE true state champion from each class. Did they ever do this at one point in time?

lakers
11-19-2007, 01:24 AM
I think that would be neat. and while they r at it, let the 1a through 5a play each other to find out who is the best in texas. then after that they can enter into a national competition to find out who is the best in the nation...:D

Emerson1
11-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by lakers
I think that would be neat. and while they r at it, let the 1a through 5a play each other to find out who is the best in texas. then after that they can enter into a national competition to find out who is the best in the nation...:D
I'd take the 5a state champion playing with only 8 people on the field over the 1a team.

kepdawg
11-19-2007, 01:38 AM
If there is ever going to be one state champion the divisions will be done away with.

Aesculus gilmus
11-19-2007, 08:04 AM
It's all about the money, so we will never go back to the Seventies.

Back then, you actually had to WIN YOUR DISTRICT to go to the playoffs and there was none of this "big school, small school" stuff either. The team which won state won the ONLY trophy offered in its class.

Gilmer went from about 1965 to 1980 WITHOUT making the playoffs (i.e., winning district), most of that time in what is now 4A.

3afan
11-19-2007, 08:13 AM
i like the 2 divisions -- MORE PLAYOFF GAMES to chose from & to go watch

do you think the players say we "we were state 3A champs in 2005, but there were 2 divisions in 3A so we really were only kinda state champs" ---- or do they say "were were state 3A champs in 2005!!!"

thought so ........

Phil C
11-19-2007, 09:35 AM
SHHHHHHHH TexanFan!

If the UIL hears about it they may actually decide to do it for obvious reason$!

Shhhhhhhhhh!

:)

3afan
11-19-2007, 10:27 AM
phil is drinking the cliche' koolaid ....

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
phil is drinking the cliche' koolaid .... his favorite drink

crzyjournalist03
11-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
That would produce ONE true state champion from each class. Did they ever do this at one point in time?

My guess is that it's the same reason that college administrators don't want to go to a playoff system...academics!!! You can only have athletics take away from a kid's scholarly attention for so long...one more game would probably be the breaking point and cause many football players to lose out tremendously on their education...

;)

BobcatBenny
11-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Everyone knows that the DII champion is the true classification champ. :D

. . . and if they wanted a true classification champion, then you would just do away with DI all together and only two teams from a district would make the playoffs.

I will use this as a prime example. Liberty Hill played one less game during the regular season (smart in my opinion) than most teams. Now they are playing in the DI bracket. If they happen to win the state championship in DI then they will have more than likely played two less games on the entire season than the DII champion.

Which IMO would make it a lesser championship. :p

Line baited . . .

LH Panther Mom
11-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Everyone knows that the DII champion is the true classification champ. :D

. . . and if they wanted a true classification champion, then you would just do away with DI all together and only two teams from a district would make the playoffs.

I will use this as a prime example. Liberty Hill played one less game during the regular season (smart in my opinion) than most teams. Now they are playing in the DI bracket. If they happen to win the state championship in DI then they will have more than likely played two less games on the entire season than the DII champion.

Which IMO would make it a lesser championship. :p

Line baited . . .
That "one less game" format worked fine and dandy last year, if I remember correctly. :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

sectionCwannabe
11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
having D1 and D2 helps schools out with ticket sales more playoff games more fans, more money for our schools and our kids.

although would be neat to see D1 face off with D2!

big daddy russ
11-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Up until about '98, only two teams from each district went to the playoffs and there was only one state champ in each class. Up until the early 80's, only one team from each district went to the playoffs.