11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
who would like it?

who wouldn't?

celina has done it many, many times

holliday, grand saline, etc

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 08:37 PM
i like to tell this story:D. i went to a playoff game way back on thanksgiving night between 2A Harmony (small school outside of Gilmer) and Cooper. Harmony was preety good in those days. Cooper with the aid of Bam Morriss thumped them pretty good. I remember thinking as i left the stadium that Cooper would probably be state shamps in 2A. the very next week i went to see Cooper and Bam Morriss play Groveton and Rodney Thomas. Thomas scored bout the first 6 or 7 times he touched the ball. Final Groveton 82 Cooper 6.............Groveton went on to a championship.

sweetwater07
11-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i like to tell this story:D. i went to a playoff game way back on thanksgiving night between 2A Harmony (small school outside of Gilmer) and Cooper. Harmony was preety good in those days. Cooper with the aid of Bam Morriss thumped them pretty good. I remember thinking as i left the stadium that Cooper would probably be state shamps in 2A. the very next week i went to see Cooper and Bam Morriss play Groveton and Rodney Thomas. Thomas scored bout the first 6 or 7 times he touched the ball. Final Groveton 82 Cooper 6.............Groveton went on to a championship.

love the sig, Stownhorse and I have decided our weekends are dedicated to playoff games from now on..

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
love the sig, Stownhorse and I have decided our weekends are dedicated to playoff games from now on.. yea but i may have to change it. P4S got on me today because i was going deer hunting next weekend. still trying to decide if i need to be home saturday in Nacogdoches. i'm leaning that way. probably depends on what the deer are doing.

zebrablue2
11-18-2007, 09:12 PM
I believe that day is reserved for familes, and giving thanks for all we have. pros and colleges are ok, but UIL needs to shut down that day. JMO.

VWG
11-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
I believe that day is reserved for familes, and giving thanks for all we have. pros and colleges are ok, but UIL needs to shut down that day. JMO.

I agree.

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2007, 09:50 PM
While I enjoy T-Day for the food, it is a fabricated holiday, if they want to play HS play-offs on the day, then go for it

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
I believe that day is reserved for familes, and giving thanks for all we have. pros and colleges are ok, but UIL needs to shut down that day. JMO. i can assure you that if Gilmer played on Thanksgiving my entire family would be together.............AT THE GAME:D

rangerjoe33
11-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie

I remember that game. It was in Greenville right? It was really cold. I was going to ETSU at the time (freshman), we went to a bootleggers place in G'ville and got some schnapps or something, went to the old Greenville stadium and hopped the fence to get in...ran into my high school DC and secondary coach. I felt really stupid..being there w/alcohol on my breath and running into your coach is a bad thing.

Rabbit'93
11-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While I enjoy T-Day for the food, it is a fabricated holiday, if they want to play HS play-offs on the day, then go for it aren't all holidays "fabricated" in some form or fashion?

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
aren't all holidays "fabricated" in some form or fashion?

Yep and therefore High school football should be played on every holiday

rangerjoe33
11-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Maybe Fridays from the last week in August thru the third week in December should be holidays...

Gobbla2001
11-18-2007, 11:29 PM
a lot of families I know have their thanksgivings on the thursday, friday, saturday and sunday of that week... just depends on the year...

same with Christmas... we'll say "Merry Christmas" but usually get together and different times because so many people have so many different get togethers to go to...

VAMike
11-19-2007, 05:59 AM
Do the current UIL rules even permit games on Thanksgiving, assuming someone wanted to play then?

I know many states do have games on Thanksgiving but not sure about Texas rules

3afan
11-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by VAMike
Do the current UIL rules even permit games on Thanksgiving, assuming someone wanted to play then?

yes

STANG RED
11-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
who would like it?

who wouldn't?

I think it's BS myself. My family has always gotten together for great meals and even greater fellowship on Thanksgiving for at least 40+ years. I dont think my family is unique in this in the slightest either. As much as I love my Mustangs, they would just have to play that day without me. Personally, I think the UIL should have a rule against it.

KingRob
11-19-2007, 09:07 AM
I just think Holidays like Thanksgiving should be spent with friends or family. You have to remember they would need bus drivers, security, stadium personnel, etc. I don't think it's a good idea. IMO

crzyjournalist03
11-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I just wish my team had the opportunity to have to make a decision about playing on Thanksgiving. :(

Tiger Turtle
11-19-2007, 10:14 AM
We did it a few times back in the '90s. I remember one year it was at SHSU. We had the usual big T-Day lunch, took a nap and then loaded up and drove to the game.

Ranger Mom
11-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
love the sig, Stownhorse and I have decided our weekends are dedicated to playoff games from now on..

LOL!! My husband saved all his vacation to be off during the playoffs. He started vacation today and is off 13 days, works for 3, off another 13 days, works for 3 and then off for his normal 4 days off.

He is off every weekend now until the weekend AFTER Christmas. In fact, he goes back to work on Christmas day!!

Oh yeah...I personally don't think any games should be played on Thanksgiving either!!!

BMOC
11-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Some of the best HS Football Playoff games have been played on Thanksgiving.....I for one, would love to see them bring it back.

3afan
11-19-2007, 10:53 AM
there is one Thankgiving Day game in Texas this year:

6-man :: Gordon (9-1) vs. Trinidad (9-1), 6:00 Thursday @ Moody HS

thats close to where I'll be - I just might go ... execpt the Cowboys will be playing ....