PDA

View Full Version : Gonzales vs. Hildalgo

gtown
11-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Don't know much about this team? Anyone have any info?

bigcat8
11-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Man, I was really impressed with the Gonzales defense the other night... Their front played very well and their DB's really covered well... The FS also makes a lot of tackles....Did he play last year?? I don't remember a big hitter like that last year???

gtown
11-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks. Our defense is really clicking well this year. We have a new AD and defensive coordinator and they are running a different defense from last year. The FS name is Garrett Simper and he is a senior. He played last year but they had him so far back. He was the leading tackler for 29-3a this year.

Of course I'm pulling for Apaches this week but I really don't know much about Hidalgo. All I know is that they finished 3rd in their district behind Rio Hondo and Port Isabel.

Old Green
11-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Looking for Gonzales to win big in this game;)

KingRob
11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking the same.

Gonzales - 34
Hidalgo - 13

gobbler grad
11-18-2007, 05:36 PM
The Apaches win big here...can't stop Bird and his 2 receivers...:thinking:

Good Luck Apaches...:clap: :clap:

GO BIG ORANGE...:cheerl: :cheerl:

pirate4state
11-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Man, I went back and looked at my brackets and I picked Gonzales to beat Ingleside, but then for some INSANE reason I picked them to lose to Hidalgo. I think I confused Hidalgo & RH! :doh: :doh:

Gonzales by 3 TDs!!!

44INAROW
11-18-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm going with the Apaches in this one by 22:)

Mid80'sTarpon
11-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Hidalgo runs a spread offense, Qb is quick and has good vision. It seems like they run two plays most of the times, with the qb reading the DE and either giving it to the rb or keeping the ball.

buff4ever
11-18-2007, 10:29 PM
WHAT!

Gonzales won last week?

HOW?

Did ingleside forfeit b/c half the team got staf infection or what?

buff4ever
11-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I will have to take hidalgo and I don't even know them. Gonzales shouldn't still be playing.

Old Green
11-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
I will have to take hidalgo and I don't even know them. Gonzales shouldn't still be playing. The Apaches are a lot better now than they were at the begining of the season.

Lombardi
11-18-2007, 11:06 PM
After that big blowout victory over Sealy last week.... You had better worry about WOS not Gonzales or Hildago.....
I will have to take hidalgo and I don't even know them. Gonzales shouldn't still be playing.

buff4ever
11-18-2007, 11:17 PM
I will take another win just like it against WOS, a very good team. Thanx for the great advice.

R4Editor
11-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Hidalgo losses have been to 4a Valley power Edcouch-Elsa that usually go few rounds deep in 4a (L,,20-3),Port Isabel (L,28-17) and Rio Hondo(L, 24-10). They are 0-3 when the other team scored 20+. Gonzales should move on to round 3 with a 28-14. win.
Pirates rely on QB Oscar Perez throwing the ball(575 yds,6 tds) and running with the ball to a tune of 1454 yards and 21 tds. Rb Angel Nava has rushed for 521 yds and 7 tds. Pirates have one of the top defenses in the region stat wise, allowing 8 points per game.

Lombardi
11-19-2007, 12:05 AM
anything to help you out
I will take another win just like it against WOS, a very good team. Thanx for the great advice.

LH Panther Mom
11-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Why shouldn't they be playing? They lost to Hutto when Hutto was still full strength and to Cuero. :confused:

gtown
11-19-2007, 09:57 AM
WHAT!

Gonzales won last week?

HOW?

Did ingleside forfeit b/c half the team got staf infection or what?

What a smart@## thing to say!! Not only did Gonzales win, it was a very decisive win, 43-7. I don't know what your beef is with Gonzales but they do have a pretty good record and have only lost to two good teams. Instead of just running you mouth, why don't you look at the stats or go watch a game. I take the Apaches by 21.

GO APACHES!!! BEAT HIDALGO!!!

44INAROW
11-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I've said it before and I'll stand by my statement in an earlier post - Karma

go Apaches... :clap:

LordInfamous
11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
How you doing guys. Im a Hidalgo alumni and I dont post much.

Here is my take on Hidalgo.

Pros:
Hidalgo's best player is the qb who is used mainly for running plays. He is very quick and has very good acceleration with good vision. Hidalgo has a decent but small rb they also use. Hidalgo is like west virginia but without a passing game.

Hidalgo's defense is very good. Hidalgo allowed 100 yards of total offense against Zapata and 3 first downs, 3!!!

Cons:
Hidalgo needs to open up the playbook more. Not enough passes and they are very predictable with what they do. They probably use about 4 running plays the whole game (but they work because of the talent with the qb) QB cannot pass :( and our receivers are very small.

Small defensive backs and I hear Gonzales loves to pass the ball. Our dbacks are about 5'7" 155 average...and thats being generous. They struggle against the pass because they are undersized.

I dont know how good Gonzales is but if our defense puts constant pressure on the quarterback and disrupts the receivers timing then they might have a chance. Also, If our coach decides to open up the playbook, run speed options, option pass, option choice and not run zone reads 95% of the game then we can probably hang in with Gonzales.

My prediction

Gonzales 28
Hidalgo 21

The coach will not open up the playbook :(

This game will be played in Alice at 7:30

gtown
11-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks. Very informative post since most of us have never seen Hidalgo or any of the teams they have played. We look forward to a good game.

LordInfamous
11-19-2007, 12:35 PM
It will be a good game but just watch how we run the same 2 plays over and over and over again. Makes you think what would happen if we opened up the playbook :(

GreenMachine
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by gtown
What a smart@## thing to say!! Not only did Gonzales win, it was a very decisive win, 43-7. I don't know what your beef is with Gonzales but they do have a pretty good record and have only lost to two good teams. Instead of just running you mouth, why don't you look at the stats or go watch a game. I take the Apaches by 21.

GO APACHES!!! BEAT HIDALGO!!! This person is just running his mouth or keyboard fingers :D We know how good the Apaches are. I agree with you, Gonzales takes this one by at least 3 td's. QB and WR's just too much for Hidalgo ;)

footballgal
11-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by LordInfamous
It will be a good game but just watch how we run the same 2 plays over and over and over again. Makes you think what would happen if we opened up the playbook :(

I have to agree with Lordinfamous, Coach Pena needs to be working on some new plays this week in practice. Hidalgo does have some talent on both sides of the ball, but seem to be playing uphill with the predictable O. The pirates QB & their RB, gave the Tarpons some major fits, with their running abilities. They did have the districts top offense, above Rio Hondo & Port Isabel.

I don’t know much about Gonzalez, but either way have to go with 32-3A.

GOOOO PIRATES!

bigcat8
11-19-2007, 08:04 PM
great post gtown
Originally posted by gtown

GO APACHES!!! BEAT HIDALGO!!!

Gontex
11-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey buff, Coach Fitzhenry and his son will both be gone one day soon and you will probably find yourself back in the gutter you say Gonzales hasn't gotten out of. Gonzales proved this year that the HC and his coordinators can change things in a hurry. Apaches are the real deal. You don't go 9-2 against the schedule they have played thus far without being a pretty good ball club. They turned it around from 3-8 last year and are in no mood to take guff from somebody like you. Hope we get to see you in the playoffs. Give us some bulletin board material please.

44INAROW
11-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Gontex
Hey buff, Coach Fitzhenry and his son will both be gone one day soon and you will probably find yourself back in the gutter you say Gonzales hasn't gotten out of. Gonzales proved this year that the HC and his coordinators can change things in a hurry. Apaches are the real deal. You don't go 9-2 against the schedule they have played thus far without being a pretty good ball club. They turned it around from 3-8 last year and are in no mood to take guff from somebody like you. Hope we get to see you in the playoffs. Give us some bulletin board material please.

Touche'!:clap: :clap: :clap:

JT44
11-19-2007, 09:20 PM
man, if gonzales wins this game, I don't think anyone's gonna have a chance to stop them until a possble LH matchup!

can you say two state champs from the same district?

R4Editor
11-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by JT44
man, if gonzales wins this game, I don't think anyone's gonna have a chance to stop them until a possble LH matchup!

can you say two state champs from the same district? Maybe 3 teams playing for the region title? like the odds for two of them, Palacios will have to pull some upsets to be 3rd.

bigcat8
11-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Will Bandera and Pleasanton be a barnburner of a game?

Gontex
11-21-2007, 08:00 AM
I hope you are right. It is probably not a well-known fact that Gonzales has never advanced past the second round of the playoffs. Team will be looking to make play-off history for Gonzales.

3afan
11-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by LordInfamous
How you doing guys. Im a Hidalgo alumni and I dont post much.

Here is my take on Hidalgo.

Pros:
Hidalgo's best player is the qb who is used mainly for running plays. He is very quick and has very good acceleration with good vision. Hidalgo has a decent but small rb they also use. Hidalgo is like west virginia but without a passing game.

Hidalgo's defense is very good. Hidalgo allowed 100 yards of total offense against Zapata and 3 first downs, 3!!!

Cons:
Hidalgo needs to open up the playbook more. Not enough passes and they are very predictable with what they do. They probably use about 4 running plays the whole game (but they work because of the talent with the qb) QB cannot pass :( and our receivers are very small.

Small defensive backs and I hear Gonzales loves to pass the ball. Our dbacks are about 5'7" 155 average...and thats being generous. They struggle against the pass because they are undersized.

I dont know how good Gonzales is but if our defense puts constant pressure on the quarterback and disrupts the receivers timing then they might have a chance. Also, If our coach decides to open up the playbook, run speed options, option pass, option choice and not run zone reads 95% of the game then we can probably hang in with Gonzales.

My prediction

Gonzales 28
Hidalgo 21

The coach will not open up the playbook :(

This game will be played in Alice at 7:30

LordInfamous - congrats, you have made 3ADL history by actually picking your team to lose!

:)

LordInfamous
11-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Really??

Honestly i would want my team to win but this is the playoffs and its hard to pick a team to win when they run 3 plays the whole game. Against Zapata the qb only threw 3 passes! I kept seeing the same zone read, zone read zone read zone read. At one point in time in the game our qb ran the ball 12 straight times!!!

Our O needs to be less predictable and more balanced.

I want Hidalgo to win and prove me wrong.

On another note, Hidalgo has never advanced past the second round of the playoffs either so one of these teams will be making school history.

footballgal
11-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Go Pirates, you can do it!

gtown
11-21-2007, 06:53 PM
What is the size and talent of both the D-Line and the O-Line?

footballgal
11-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Peña has Pirates looking for history
Peter Rasmussen
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1195682676-coachweb.jpg
Nov 21, 2007 3:56 pm

Jorge Peña’s reputation as a coach preceeds him.

Peña is a demanding, expectations-driven coach, wanting nothing but the best from his players. Some years his teams align with his hard-line approach while other seasons it is a challenge.

The Hidalgo coach has said all season that he has had little discord in molding this year’s Pirates into a dedicated group, mostly because they have taken it upon themselves to expect the best from each other.

“These kids want nothing more than to keep playing,” Peña said. “That has made all the difference in the world. Their energy is so high and they are so focused, they don’t want to stop playing.”

And the best might be just around the corner.

If Hidalgo defeats Gonzales in the teams’ Class 3A Division I regional game Friday in Alice, it will be the first time a Pirates team has ever won two playoff games in one season.

It could be the type of success many fans thought the Pirates should have had in 2006. Last season’s team was a much-heralded crop but fell below expectations.

“To be honest, I just thought some of the better players on last year’s team were looking forward to basketball season,” Peña said. “It was just the way I felt. I could sense it and my coaches could sense it.”

The ’06 Pirates spiraled out of playoff contention with a three-game District 32-3A losing streak. Some expected the same this year. Four weeks ago, the Pirates were coming off back-to-back district setbacks to Rio Hondo and Port Isabel, respectively.

Their egos were bruised and they were hit hard by the injury bug. After the loss to Port Isabel, coaches in the Pirates’ huddle could be heard urging the team not to give up on the season.

The cries to march on did not fall on deaf ears this year.

“It has to be leadership,” senior middle linebacker Jaime Contreras said. “On this team every senior is a leader. Everybody leads by example. We don’t just have one guy that is the leader. Every senior picks up the younger guys.”

One of the injured Pirates was senior free safety Abraham Garcia, who watched helplessly as his team fell to Port Isabel in Week 8.

Garcia tore his ulnar collateral ligament during the Hidalgo-Rio Hondo game in Week 7 and was not completely healed but returned to action so that he could help his team punch its ticket to the postseason.

“When it came to the La Feria game, I told everyone I was going to play,” Garcia said. “I know I wasn’t supposed to, but I told my mom and the doctor I was going to play. I signed a waiver and everything just so I could play.”

Garcia helped Hidalgo win its final two weeks of the regular season, posting consecutive shutout wins against La Feria and Progreso to clinch a playoff spot for the second time in three years.

“(The players on the team) have never played in a playoff game,” Garcia said. “We were not going to take no for an answer. We were determined big time. We weren’t going to let anyone hold us back.”

Peter Rasmussen covers District 32-3A or The Monitor. You can reach him at (956) 683-4448. For this and more local stories, visit www.rgvsports.com.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/team_1063___article.xml/pirates_season.html

gobbler grad
11-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Good luck tonight Apaches...:cheerl:
we'll be rootin' for ya...:clap:

GO BIG ORANGE...:D

GreenMachine
11-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Apaches are on the warpath... good luck and kick some tail :clap:

gtown
11-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Go down there and show them what we have all seen you do. Win big! Leave no room for doubt!

GO APACHES!!!

44INAROW
11-24-2007, 02:33 PM

hhmmm I have alot of comments but I will refrain other than......... KARMA :)

Way to go Apaches!!!!!