PDA

View Full Version : Kansas football tightrope & schedule...

g$$
11-18-2007, 02:13 AM
Schedule makers were very kind this year to the Rock Chalkers. Kansas did not have to play OU, Texas, or Tech this year in league play. I know they are a good story for college football (& whipped my school A&M), but that is a very favorable conference schedule vs. the South.

The Fighting Manginos roll on to play Mizzou...& possibly in Big 12 Championship...& possibly NC Game.

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 09:07 AM
they still have Missouri and either Oklahoma or Texas in the Big12 champ game. If the win out, they have every right to play for the mythical national championship. I'm not a kansas fan, or a fan of the system, but if thats what they are gonna use the Kansas deserves a shot at somebody. now who that somebody is could be debatable.

Old Tiger
11-18-2007, 09:08 AM
why do people say MNC?

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
why do people say MNC? because isn't that what it is? when they have a playoff i will quit saying it. Until you have some kind of tourney, being 4,8, or even 16 teams, it is just a game played between 2 good teams. Then sportswriters, and coaches and computers say who they think the best team is.

Old Tiger
11-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Perhaps before the BCS.

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Perhaps before the BCS. i will kindly disagree. the BCS is BS. they need a playoff format with around 8 teams, seed them and let them get after it. then there will be a real National Champion. until then it is someones opinion.

Old Tiger
11-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i will kindly disagree. the BCS is BS. they need a playoff format with around 8 teams, seed them and let them get after it. then there will be a real National Champion. until then it is someones opinion. 8 teams would be to much i believe. 4 teams is reasonable. Have bowls up until the last week of december and first week of january. Then in those two weeks have the playoff.

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 09:25 AM
8 teams would be to much i believe. 4 teams is reasonable. Have bowls up until the last week of december and first week of january. Then in those two weeks have the playoff. i wouldn't even disagree with 4. use the system that they have in place now to determine those teams. somebody is always gonna be a so-called bubble team whether you have 4,8 or whatever. but so-what, they have bubble teams every year in basketball. I just want something that is not somebody's opinion.

Emerson1
11-18-2007, 09:26 AM
i will kindly disagree. the BCS is BS. they need a playoff format with around 8 teams, seed them and let them get after it. then there will be a real National Champion. until then it is someones opinion.
How would you decide who gets into the playoff?

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
How would you decide who gets into the playoff? see above post:D

raider red 2000
11-18-2007, 10:13 AM
we dont need a playoff.

if we had one then what would we complain about????

JasperDog94
11-18-2007, 11:24 AM
8 teams would be to much i believe. 4 teams is reasonable. Have bowls up until the last week of december and first week of january. Then in those two weeks have the playoff. I think 16 teams in the playoffs (which would represent about 10-12% of the teams in D1 BCS) would be appropriate. That's what makes the NFL playoffs, high school playoffs and even March Madness so great.

If you limit it to 4, then that's not much better than we've got right now. You'd still have the arguments about the number 4 team and who deserves the shot. Same can be said for an 8 team playoff. I'm not opposed to a 12 team playoff (1-4 get a bye) but a full 16 team playoff would be the best. It's hard to argue that if you're not in the top 16 that you deserve a shot at a national title.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think 16 teams in the playoffs (which would represent about 10-12% of the teams in D1 BCS) would be appropriate. That's what makes the NFL playoffs, high school playoffs and even March Madness so great.

If you limit it to 4, then that's not much better than we've got right now. You'd still have the arguments about the number 4 team and who deserves the shot. Same can be said for an 8 team playoff. I'm not opposed to a 12 team playoff (1-4 get a bye) but a full 16 team playoff would be the best. It's hard to argue that if you're not in the top 16 that you deserve a shot at a national title.

All other divisions of college football DIII, DII DIAA all have a playoff and DI should do the same. I don't even watch basketball until teh playoffs, because it is fun and exciting, especially to pull for the uderdog. Also you get the real champion in the end.

Just went to the West Texas - Washburn first round playoff game yesterday. That was freaking exciting!!! 40-39, WT won but it was a come from behind win. I was even pulling for Celina, oopss I mean Washburn in the end. (Washburn reminded me of Celina -- perfect execution).

Anyway a playoff is the only fair way. Too many this is the way it used to be people still in key positions in the NCAA and as college prsidents. Still a lot of money to be made in a playoff system.

Z~

raider red 2000
11-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
All other divisions of college football DIII, DII DIAA all have a playoff and DI should do the same. I don't even watch basketball until teh playoffs, because it is fun and exciting, especially to pull for the uderdog. Also you get the real champion in the end.

Just went to the West Texas - Washburn first round playoff game yesterday. That was freaking exciting!!! 40-39, WT won but it was a come from behind win. I was even pulling for Celina, oopss I mean Washburn in the end. (Washburn reminded me of Celina -- perfect execution).

Anyway a playoff is the only fair way. Too many this is the way it used to be people still in key positions in the NCAA and as college prsidents. Still a lot of money to be made in a playoff system.

Z~

non playoff is what makes it exciting.

like you said...you dont even pay attention to the playoffs....football dosnt need that.

you say that playoffs are teh only fair way...this is one reason our country is having so many problems with young people....life is not supposed to be fair.

nobody is owed anything....but people want fair.

BTW- i am not trying to sound like a jerk to you....i am venting about fairness because i see kids everyday that think that something is owed to them....nobody owes them anything.

wildstangs
11-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I believe Z said he pays attention ONLY to the playoffs.

raider red 2000
11-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I believe Z said he pays attention ONLY to the playoffs.

so the other 13 weeks of football would not matter.

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
so the other 13 weeks of football would not matter. i think he was talking about basketball. and although i do keep up with college basketball throughout the season, i really don't watch a lot until the ncaa tournament. so i'm kinda the same way unless one of my teams that i root for is on.

raider red 2000
11-18-2007, 11:46 AM
i think he was talking about basketball. and although i do keep up with college basketball throughout the season, i really don't watch a lot until the ncaa tournament. so i'm kinda the same way unless one of my teams that i root for is on.

i am that same way with hoops...but i believe that football s different should be different that basketball and baseball and stuff like that.

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
i am that same way with hoops...but i believe that football s different should be different that basketball and baseball and stuff like that. oh i would still watch the football regular season games, without a doubt.

westtxfballfan
11-18-2007, 11:56 AM
I agree with an 8 team format. If you're on the bubble at #9, tough, you had a couple of losses and should of done better. They could still rotate the NC among the big 4 bowls with the semis making up two of the others. Play your quarters the week of Christmas, the semis around New Year's, and the NC the following week.

Pmoney
11-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think 16 teams in the playoffs (which would represent about 10-12% of the teams in D1 BCS) would be appropriate. That's what makes the NFL playoffs, high school playoffs and even March Madness so great.

i agree the 16 team playoff is the best

g$$
11-18-2007, 07:05 PM
they still have Missouri and either Oklahoma or Texas in the Big12 champ game. If the win out, they have every right to play for the mythical national championship. I'm not a kansas fan, or a fan of the system, but if thats what they are gonna use the Kansas deserves a shot at somebody. now who that somebody is could be debatable.

Oh I know who they have left (Mizzou, maybe Big 12 Championship, etc.). My only point was that they did not have to play Tech, OU, or Texas this year per the schedule. Weird deal when you skip all 3 of those from the South.

If they win out, then they deserve it.

charlesrixey
11-18-2007, 07:49 PM
10 game regular season and 32 team playoff

it's totally possible, but will never happen

:(

eagles_victory
11-18-2007, 08:00 PM
I like the bowls to call college football a mytical national championship is ludacris. Having only two teams that can play for the national title is what makes the season so exciting and sepeartes college football from every other sport.

lostaussie
11-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I like the bowls to call college football a mytical national championship is ludacris. Having only two teams that can play for the national title is what makes the season so exciting and sepeartes college football from every other sport. do you like the playoffs in high school football or the pros? if so then what is the difference? as long as it is only 2 teams then it is just someone's opinion.

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 12:13 AM
do you like the playoffs in high school football or the pros? if so then what is the difference? as long as it is only 2 teams then it is just someone's opinion. high school yes....pros no

NFL is boring.

In the classifications there are double and maybe even triple the number of division 1 teams.