PDA

View Full Version : Possible 3-way tie for Big 12 South scenario...

g$$
11-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Could be a 3-way tie in the South if:

A&M beats Texas
OK State beats OU...

then OU/Texas/OK State would all be 5-3 in league play (head-to-head OU beat Texas, Texas beat OK State, OK State would have beaten OU in that scenario).

Some kind of complicated formula would be used at that point to determine representative for Title Game vs. North. Not sure how it works right now. I think it involves BCS rankings, etc. to place highest seeded team in Big 12 Championship. It also might include how the teams in question fared against the #4 team in the South (since top 3 would be tied). Tech finished 4-4 in league (lost to OK State, lost to Texas, beat OU). A&M would finish 4-4 also with win over Texas (but lost to Tech). Confusing stuff.

Anyone know for sure?

VAMike
11-18-2007, 06:40 AM
From the Big XII website:

Football Tie-Breaker

The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:

(a) If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative;

(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

The records of the three teams will be compared against each other;
The records of the three teams will be compared within their division;
The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish - 4, 5 and 6;
The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents;
The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular-season (intra-) conference play shall be the representative;
The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games - e.g. 12th games such as Kickoff Classic, Pigskin Classic, Hawaii, etc.] shall be the representative;
The representative will be chosen by draw.

Aesculus gilmus
11-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Oops. Never mind.

gtownpoke
11-18-2007, 08:15 AM
texas would go if a&m beats them and osu beats ou. it comes down to rule #3. the record against the #4 team in the division (tech). ut and osu both beat tech while ou did not. so ou is out of the picture now. then its whoever has the head-to-head between osu and ut. seeing how osu blew a big 4th quarter lead against the horns... texas would be in the big 12 title game

Aesculus gilmus
11-18-2007, 08:45 AM
The reason I had to edit my post is I was thinking of A&M being one of the teams in the 3-way tie.

As a UT alum/fan, I DO NOT want Texas to play in the Big 12 title game. I just want the 'Horns to beat A&M convincingly and then hope for a BCS bowl game while OU has to take its chances against Kansas or Missouri.

One year, UT ruined its chances of a BCS game by making it to the Big 12 title game and losing. If it had just sat home that day, it would likely have gotten a BCS bowl bid.

g$$
11-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Makes the games a little more fun this week...

According to today's paper, Texas does hold the tie-breaker if a 3-way tie results. Good call VA Mike.

eagles_victory
11-18-2007, 08:07 PM
If Texas cant beat A&M I want OU to win. As a Horns fan Id rather not go then have to back into it. If you cant beat A&M you dont deserve a chance to play for the Big 12 title and the BCS

g$$
11-19-2007, 04:14 PM
BCS Final Ranking to determine it in 3-way tie scenario:

BCS rankings could determine South champion

12:40 AM CST on Monday, November 19, 2007
By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
chipbrown@dallasnews.com

If Texas A&M beats Texas and Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma, all three would be 5-3 in Big 12 play, and the team with the highest BCS ranking after regular season would represent the South Division in the league title game.

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head, and Texas, OU and OSU would be 1-1 against each other.

The second tiebreaker is record against teams from the South Division. All would be 3-2 against South teams.

The next tiebreaker would be the teams' records against the fourth-place team in the South, which would be a tie between Texas Tech and A&M, who would finish at 4-4 in league play and 3-2 in the South Division.

OU, UT and OSU are all 1-1 against Tech and A&M, and all three teams beat Baylor, the last-place team in the South Division.

The next tiebreaker is common opponents from the North. But none of the three teams has a common opponent from the North.

So according to Big 12 bylaws, the tie would be broken by the highest-ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series poll following the completion of the Big 12 regular season.

Right now, OU is 10th in the BCS, followed by Texas at No. 13. OSU is not ranked in the BCS.

Adidas410s
11-19-2007, 04:18 PM
^^

beat me to it...so it would all come down to where OU and Texas fall to in the BCS rankings as it's unlikely that OSU would jump ahead of them!

g$$
11-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Exactly, OSU has too far to go in one week.

BCS will determine it in 3-way tie.