PDA

View Full Version : Rio Hondo vs Palacios

Cats Fan
11-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Rio Hondo vs Palacios

What are your thoughts about this game?

Cats Fan
11-18-2007, 12:53 AM
hey mods...could one of you be kind enough to delete the other thread...or merge them.

thanx in advance!

Cats Fan
11-18-2007, 12:55 AM
just heard...friday in corpus at cabanis field (SP)

29-3aFAN
11-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Palacios cinderella season comes to a end.

Johnny 5
11-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Go Get em Bobcats

Johnny 5
11-18-2007, 01:21 AM
That is the field on 357, right?

GreenMachine
11-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Don't underestimate the power of the shark! :D I smell an upset in this one :eek:

NewYorkYankee
11-18-2007, 02:29 AM
Palacios upset RH......nah!

Lets go Rio Hondo!!!!!! We are behind ya unless we meet ya again!

Wouldnt it be awesome if 32-3A swept 29-3A Wishful thinking but hey its the playoffs anythings possible!

sinton3055
11-18-2007, 08:39 AM
I say the sharkes take it

JT44
11-18-2007, 09:25 AM
henry solis takes the sharks on his back to the next round

gobbler grad
11-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by JT44
henry solis takes the sharks on his back to the next round

i'll agree with that...:thinking:

Johnny 5
11-18-2007, 11:56 AM
One back?

pfft

Gobbla2001
11-18-2007, 12:06 PM
I think this will be a 42-35 type final... gota go with RH at this point...

crabman
11-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Cuero beat Palacios 51-20 so this will be a good indicator of what Rio Hondo really has. One of the problems with the Valley being so far removed from the other 3A teams is that there are never any common opponents to gauge the real strength of a team. This round of the playoffs is that first gauge.

After this we can start the speculation. A beats B by a gazillion and B beats C, but only by a half a gazillion, so obviously it will rain on Tuesday. Logical?

Gobbla2001
11-18-2007, 12:08 PM
what were Solis' stats last night?

figured he'd struggle on arti-turf since he's never played on it... add some wetness and I doubt he had a good going...

I'm thinking Palacios needs to practice on an arti-turf field this week and get used to it...

gobbler grad
11-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
what were Solis' stats last night?

figured he'd struggle on arti-turf since he's never played on it... add some wetness and I doubt he had a good going...

I'm thinking Palacios needs to practice on an arti-turf field this week and get used to it...

22 carries for 148 yds. and 1 Td...

not bad:thinking:

Gobbla2001
11-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
22 carries for 148 yds. and 1 Td...

not bad:thinking:

not bad at all...

what offense does RH run? QB main running threat?

what about their defense?

raider red 2000
11-18-2007, 12:20 PM
not bad at all...

last year didnt they run the spread against cuero in corpus?

i say sharks take it.

black bear
11-18-2007, 12:24 PM
solis finished with 154 yards on 24 carries. got to give it to the sharks good game. that being said having rio hondo and palacios play i'm going with rio hondo. Palacios had a great game plan and just controled the clock.they snapped every snap with 1 sec on the play clock. they had the ball for about 29 min of the game. solis had 78 yards of the 154 on one carry. that kid is a bruiser. he is hard to bring down. now oso did move the ball through the air. just had a lot of dropped balls. wet field conditions might have played a part of that but both teams had to deal with it. I just feel oso paniced and went away from their bread and butter the option. even if the sharks play ball control rio hondo will strike fast and often.

rio hondo 35
palacios 10

JT44
11-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by black bear
solis finished with 154 yards on 24 carries. got to give it to the sharks good game. that being said having rio hondo and palacios play i'm going with rio hondo. Palacios had a great game plan and just controled the clock.they snapped every snap with 1 sec on the play clock.

that's what palacios does, they take their sweet time

their defense is no slouch, they have a decent run defense, but if you manage to contain buckley and get your rb's aware of him you can run on them

don't sleep on their pass game either they have a few guys that will just go on a dead sprint and they'll throw it up to them

Gontex
11-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Sharks have a good ball club and they are very well coached. They kept the game close with Gonzales with a ball control offense. They used all of the time clock on every play. Their defense plays well, but you can score on them. Solis is the real deal.

Old Green
11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Gontex
Sharks have a good ball club and they are very well coached. They kept the game close with Gonzales with a ball control offense. They used all of the time clock on every play. Their defense plays well, but you can score on them. Solis is the real deal. Welcome to the board Gontex. Glad to have another Gonzales fan on the board.:thumbsup:

KingRob
11-18-2007, 04:03 PM
I would like to see the Sharks win it, but I just don't think so. I'm going with the Bobcats.

Rio Hondo - 30
Palacios - 17

mean_green
11-18-2007, 11:57 PM
not bad at all...

Rio Hondo runs the Spread Offense with their QB and RB as their main threats. They are more of a running team out of the Gun than a passing team. On defense they run a 4-3 and blitz their LB's a lot. Last year they played Cuero tough but only managed to score with only about 2 minutes left in the game.

If they do not stop Solis, Palacios could be on to round 3. If they stop Solis they win this game easily.

R4Editor
11-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by mean_green
Rio Hondo runs the Spread Offense with their QB and RB as their main threats. They are more of a running team out of the Gun than a passing team. On defense they run a 4-3 and blitz their LB's a lot. Last year they played Cuero tough but only managed to score with only about 2 minutes left in the game.

If they do not stop Solis, Palacios could be on to round 3. If they stop Solis they win this game easily. their defensive line look like linebackers as they are quick. Straight ahead power football might be a weakness for them, but only seen them once. QB Vela looks like hes also a good passer along with being able to run with the ball. RB Jacob Marnnez can juke defenders and showed some speed in the game against PI. Rio Hondo defense had trouble stopping Nunez to the outside, but not sure who has more speed to the outside, Nunez or Solis.

I think Rio Hondo wins this game 28-14. Rio Hondo kicker made a 43 yard FG with maybe 5 yards to spare in the game i saw them in. In case if Rio Hondo needs a kick from that distance, he has the leg strenght to make it.

Johnny 5
11-19-2007, 01:04 AM
RH Stats:

Offense -

Rushing: 2568
Passing: 852
Total: 3420
Avg: 342 ypg

Defense -

Rushing: 654
Passing: 834
Total: 1518
Avg: 151.8 ypg

Scoring Leaders -

Martinez (RB): 18 TD's
Vela (QB): 11 TD's

Rushing -

Martinez: 132-1181 8.9 ypc
Vela: ~125-800 6.4 ypc
David: ~60-400 6.6 ypc

Receiving -

Eizember: 26-296 11.4 ypc 4 TD's
de la Cruz: 19-241 12.7 ypc 2 TD's

Passing -

Vela: 51-81-4 809 9 TD's

I do not know defensive stats right off hand. I do know that RH has 26 INT's on the year. DE's are tenacious. The line is not small (but not huge), and are fast and strong. LB's are quick, and secondary is quick.

Johnny 5
11-19-2007, 02:42 PM
ttt :devil:

R4Editor
11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
ttt :devil: GL Friday, hope to catch another game of RH, maybe next week.

footballgal
11-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Cats Fan
just heard...friday in corpus at cabanis field (SP)

Let's Go Bobcats!!

Hey just realized that they will be a caravan treking to Corpus Christi, with PI playing their too. I wish we could play @ Cabanis field instead of Buc but oh well.

Hey Cats Fan where is Hidalgo playing?

Johnny 5
11-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Hidalgo is playing in Alice

It would be cool if all the buses formed one long line :D

Maroon87
11-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
That is the field on 357, right?

It's on Saratoga, between Ayers and Kostoryz, right across the street from John Paul II HS.

75009Football
11-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Sharks have a good ball club and they are very well coached. They kept the game close with Gonzales with a ball control offense. They used all of the time clock on every play. Their defense plays well, but you can score on them. Solis is the real deal.

Congrats to the Sharks but dangit, they messed up my bracket, but only for one game. You get to work on ball control for three more days with a tape day and a walk through day mixed in there, then start working on a different clock. Sorry.

Gontex
11-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Welcome to the board Gontex. Glad to have another Gonzales fan on the board.:thumbsup:
I first heard of this board when it cranked up five or six years ago. It was no big deal then. Obviously it has grown quite significantly since then. Gtown told me about it and I checked it out. Good show. Looking for 29AAA to sweep 32AAA this time around. Gobblers are awesome, Apaches are good and Sharks are capable. Proud of them all even if it doesn't happen.

Old Green
11-19-2007, 08:54 PM
I first heard of this board when it cranked up five or six years ago. It was no big deal then. Obviously it has grown quite significantly since then. Gtown told me about it and I checked it out. Good show. Looking for 29AAA to sweep 32AAA this time around. Gobblers are awesome, Apaches are good and Sharks are capable. Proud of them all even if it doesn't happen. Glad you decided to join. The board is addictive:)

Good luck to all 29 - 3A teams.

75009Football
11-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Addictive is right. My wife hates me, wait, all of ya'll this time of year.

R4Editor
11-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
It's on Saratoga, between Ayers and Kostoryz, right across the street from John Paul II HS. State Highway 357 is also Saratoga:) .

IHStangFan
11-20-2007, 05:11 AM
Sharks by 10

sotex
11-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I'll take Rio Hondo in this one. Enjoy it District 32 it will be your only win this week.:devil:

NewYorkYankee
11-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Maybe you can go to one of the games since your team is already out:p

Maroon87
11-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by R4Editor
State Highway 357 is also Saratoga:) .

Oh snap...:doh:

Cats Fan
11-20-2007, 09:21 PM
almost friday....almost firday!!!!!

gtown
11-20-2007, 11:21 PM
The Sharks were very hard to contain when we played. Their RB is the real deal. Very powerful. Good luck Sharks. Heck of a season! I say Sharks by 7!

Go 29-3a!!!!

headhunter
11-21-2007, 12:18 AM
Should Palacios beat Rio Hondo there is a good chance they could win the next week and maybe meet Cuero in round four.

Its a long shot and one week at a time but I would like to see it.

But every team needs to take one game at a time
I'm looking ahead I know

Cats Fan
11-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Secondary to none
Rio Hondo defensive backs set for Sharks

By ARMANDO GARZA
Nov 20, 2007 11:01 pm

RIO HONDO — With 28 combined interceptions and a reputation as a salty unit, it’d be easy for the Rio Hondo Bobcats’ secondary to be a little flashy.
But the only “fathead” these guys know of is the Bobcat helmet stuck to the wall outside head coach Gus Cavazos’ office.
The back end of the Valley’s top rated statistical defense have been instrumental in the Bobcats’ 11-0 record thus far, but they let their play do most of the talking.
The group consists of defensive backs Shane Eizember, J.D. Martinez, Joshua Cordero, Joseph Vela and Gilbert Castro.
And although they’ll be facing a predominant run team in the Palacios Sharks (8-3) Friday in a Class 3A, Division II area game at Cabaniss Field in Corpus Christi, these defensive backs will still be in the thick of things.
“Their run support is a big part of our defense. They just have a nose for the ball,” Cavazos said of the defensive backs. “They have so much experience, and that’s been one of the keys for us.”
Eizember, an All-Valley defensive back last season, leads the team with nine interceptions. While Cordero and Martinez have six each.
“Shane’s been exceptional,” Cavazos said. “Any aggressive defense has to have what we call an 'eraser’. And that’s what he does for us. He allows us to be aggressive up front, and if we get beat on the play, he’s back there making sure we don’t give up a big play.”
Eizember said the group has worked hard to achieve the numbers they’ve put up.
“A lot of time and effort in the summer is where it all started,” Eizember, who also led the district in receptions and punting, said of the solid play. “Also, the communication is awesome.”
The proof is in the pudding.
In 10 games during the regular season, the Bobcats allowed a Valley-low 684 rushing yards and only 834 through the air, good for second best in the area. In total, Rio Hondo allowed a paltry 151.8 yards per game, and an average of six points per contest, leading the Valley in both categories.
Last week in bi-district against Lyford, Rio Hondo gave up 243 yards passing, but an impressive negative-31 rushing yards all but negated the air totals in a 47-12 romp.
But it hasn’t just been the DBs. A fierce group up front has also made things a lot of fun for the Bobcat DBs, Eizember noted.
“They’ve been very effective. The quarterback doesn’t want to get sacked,” the senior standout said of the front line’s push. “If he doesn’t eat the ball and throws a bad pass, it’s gonna get picked. So we all work well as a team (on defense).”
Vela, the Bobcats’ quarterback this season, had 13 interceptions as a sophomore in 2006. But after an injury earlier this season, someone had to step up.
“When Joseph got hurt early on in the year, we had Gilbert Castro (two interceptions) come in and do a great job for us,” Cavazos said.
Rio Hondo will face a stiff test Friday in the Sharks’ running game, led by Class 3A leading rusher Henry Solis.
Palacios’ Solis has rumbled for 2,174 and 32 touchdowns through 11 games.
“It’s gonna be a challenge for us. They’re a running team and word has it he (Solis) is one of the top running backs in the state on paper,” Eizember said. “So it should be a good test for us.”

Cats Fan
11-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Get to know these guys...they will be taking care of defending your run!
http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2007/11/21/16/Img/Pc0161000.jpg

footballgal
11-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Go Bobcats, you can do it!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-21-2007, 03:59 PM
YES!!! its Friday and time for some football :) its still fun to go watch a game even though Sinton took a year off.

Testing 1 -2-3
:)

NewYorkYankee
11-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Bocats are training and will be ready!!

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/memwongsa/GIF_Funny/127899v.gif

footballgal
11-23-2007, 01:10 AM
Shark hunters
Bobcats eager to take care of business vs. Palacios
By ARMANDO GARZA
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1195792335-velamos.jpg
Nov 22, 2007 10:30 pm

CORPUS CHRISTI — Most teams would be ecstatic with district and bi-district championships in their hip pocket.
But the 11-0 Rio Hondo Bobcats are not like most teams; it’s been all business for the black and gold thus far.
Tonight’s matchup with the Palacios Sharks could be a statement game for the Cats, who are looking to capture their first area title in quite some time.
Both teams meet in a Class 3A, Division II area round game at Cabaniss Stadium in Corpus Christi at 7 p.m.
“We’re pretty confident. I don’t think they’ve (Palacios) faced a team as physical as we are,” said Rio Hondo head coach Gus Cavazos. “And I’m hoping we’re able to go into tonight with that mentality.”
A business-like attitude personifies Rio Hondo perfectly. After clinching the 32-3A title at home on Nov. 9, there was no celebration.
Then after last week’s 47-12 drubbing of Lyford in bi-district, it was business as usual.
“To us, there’s nothing to celebrate yet. We need to get that area championship and go beyond,” Cavazos said. “This is an important game. We need to win this game to prove that we are one of the elite.”
In that game, Rio Hondo quarterback Joseph Vela went berserk for 313 total yards (182 passing) with three scores (two rushing).
However, the Bobcats boast balanced, effective attacks on both sides of the ball.
A running game led by Vela, Jacob Martinez and Trevor David has downright punished the opposition for a combined 2,388 yards and 38 touchdowns through 11 games.
And Vela has been effective through the air to the tune of 878 yards and 10 TDs.
Defensively, led by linemen Alonzo Garza (75 tackles, 13 sacks), linebacker Adrian Jaime (142 total tackles, eight sacks) and a swift secondary (28 interceptions), Rio Hondo is as physical as they come.
The Cats have only given up 72 total points the entire season, including four shutouts.
Last season, Rio Hondo lost to Cuero in the area round, so these Bobcats want more this time around.
But it won’t be easy.
Coach Mike Treybig’s Palacios team is riding a wave of momentum in 2007; a wave they used to win a bi-district title over West Oso last week.
The Sharks (8-3) are making their first foray into the playoffs since 1964, when they took the Class 2A state championship. Before this season, the Sharks hadn’t won seven games in a season since 1985, so there’s plenty to be proud of by the Matagorda Bay.
“Anytime you meet a team that feels that they have a destiny, they can be extremely dangerous,” Cavazos said. “So not only are we concerned with their offense and defense, but their psyche as well.”
The Sharks are led by running back Henry Solis, who was the leading rusher in Class 3A with 2,026 yards and 31 touchdowns during the regular season.
He added 148 yards and a TD in the Palacios’ 17-6 win over West Oso.
“We know they’ve got a good running game and an exceptional running back in Henry Solis,” Cavazos said. “But I feel we’ve played the run exceptionally well this year, and I feel we have some of the best linebackers, in my opinion, in our area.”
The winner of this contest will face the Llano-Devine game, which will be played Saturday night at the Alamodome in San Antonio.
http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/game_1067___article.xml/rio_hondo.html

Darren
11-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Rio Hondo wins.

sotex
11-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by sotex
I'll take Rio Hondo in this one. Enjoy it District 32 it will be your only win this week.:devil: Wow, I guess i was wrong! 29-3a owns 32-3a completely!

WOS87
11-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Looks like Palacios may win their 7th consecutive playoff game!

Highschoolfan78
11-24-2007, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Cats Fan
Get to know these guys...they will be taking care of defending your run!
http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2007/11/21/16/Img/Pc0161000.jpg

how'd those guys hold up? just curious...

JT44
11-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
how'd those guys hold up? just curious...

not to well,

it's funny, some of the posters over on RGV mentioned the sharks looked like a JV team, they were probably kidding, but I kind of had the feeling the sharks would gut it out.

GreenMachine
11-24-2007, 09:38 AM
I knew that they would. 29 3A was a tough district this year, and the Sharks played us a good ballgame.

GreenMachine
11-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Shark hunters
Bobcats eager to take care of business vs. Palacios
By ARMANDO GARZA
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1195792335-velamos.jpg
Nov 22, 2007 10:30 pm

CORPUS CHRISTI — Most teams would be ecstatic with district and bi-district championships in their hip pocket.
But the 11-0 Rio Hondo Bobcats are not like most teams; it’s been all business for the black and gold thus far.
Tonight’s matchup with the Palacios Sharks could be a statement game for the Cats, who are looking to capture their first area title in quite some time.
Both teams meet in a Class 3A, Division II area round game at Cabaniss Stadium in Corpus Christi at 7 p.m.
“We’re pretty confident. I don’t think they’ve (Palacios) faced a team as physical as we are,” said Rio Hondo head coach Gus Cavazos. “And I’m hoping we’re able to go into tonight with that mentality.”
A business-like attitude personifies Rio Hondo perfectly. After clinching the 32-3A title at home on Nov. 9, there was no celebration.
Then after last week’s 47-12 drubbing of Lyford in bi-district, it was business as usual.
“To us, there’s nothing to celebrate yet. We need to get that area championship and go beyond,” Cavazos said. “This is an important game. We need to win this game to prove that we are one of the elite.”
In that game, Rio Hondo quarterback Joseph Vela went berserk for 313 total yards (182 passing) with three scores (two rushing).
However, the Bobcats boast balanced, effective attacks on both sides of the ball.
A running game led by Vela, Jacob Martinez and Trevor David has downright punished the opposition for a combined 2,388 yards and 38 touchdowns through 11 games.
And Vela has been effective through the air to the tune of 878 yards and 10 TDs.
Defensively, led by linemen Alonzo Garza (75 tackles, 13 sacks), linebacker Adrian Jaime (142 total tackles, eight sacks) and a swift secondary (28 interceptions), Rio Hondo is as physical as they come.
The Cats have only given up 72 total points the entire season, including four shutouts.
Last season, Rio Hondo lost to Cuero in the area round, so these Bobcats want more this time around.
But it won’t be easy.
Coach Mike Treybig’s Palacios team is riding a wave of momentum in 2007; a wave they used to win a bi-district title over West Oso last week.
The Sharks (8-3) are making their first foray into the playoffs since 1964, when they took the Class 2A state championship. Before this season, the Sharks hadn’t won seven games in a season since 1985, so there’s plenty to be proud of by the Matagorda Bay.
“Anytime you meet a team that feels that they have a destiny, they can be extremely dangerous,” Cavazos said. “So not only are we concerned with their offense and defense, but their psyche as well.”
The Sharks are led by running back Henry Solis, who was the leading rusher in Class 3A with 2,026 yards and 31 touchdowns during the regular season.
He added 148 yards and a TD in the Palacios’ 17-6 win over West Oso.
“We know they’ve got a good running game and an exceptional running back in Henry Solis,” Cavazos said. “But I feel we’ve played the run exceptionally well this year, and I feel we have some of the best linebackers, in my opinion, in our area.”
The winner of this contest will face the Llano-Devine game, which will be played Saturday night at the Alamodome in San Antonio.
http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/game_1067___article.xml/rio_hondo.html Statement game??? Yea...by the Sharks :eek: :clap:

Gobbla2001
11-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
Looks like Palacios may win their 7th consecutive playoff game!

ha, never thought about it that way... the streak dates back to 1964 haha