PDA

View Full Version : Illegal snap...

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Can one of you officiating gurus explain what this is or what situation exists for it to be called?

Gobbla2001
11-17-2007, 03:37 PM
no officiating guru, but I can guess... was the QB moving toward the ball while the ball was being snapped? what happened?

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2007, 03:41 PM
:doh: :doh: Good question. I have to go watch it again.

VAMike
11-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Several things might have happened. The most common is the snapper double clutching when he snaps.

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2007, 03:51 PM
LOL! Double clutching? :confused:

It looks like to me a fumbled snap, but they didn't let me make calls. :D (Probably a good thing.... :eek: ) Hubby is getting on youtube & one of us will post when it's ready.

VAMike
11-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Double clutching is when snapper starts the snap and then realizes he missed the snap count so he tries to put it back on ground and then snap again.

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Okay, that makes sense. It could be, I'm not sure.

alaskacat
11-17-2007, 04:25 PM
It can also be that he acted like he snapped it put just placed it on the ground behind him...which is illegal

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by alaskacat
It can also be that he acted like he snapped it put just placed it on the ground behind him...which is illegal
I'm fairly certain that wasn't the case, but still waiting on youtube.

Panther One
11-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I think it was in one of our games recently (Taylor maybe?) when their center for some reason just picked the ball up, then put it back down. That is also an illegal snap.

I haven't seen the film or talked to anyone that has, but I'm pretty sure the center probably flinched the ball a little causing the nose guard to fire off. The ball was on the ground because I don't think it was snapped. When this happened last night, my first thought was that the nose gaurd had knocked the ball out of our center's hand just before he snapped it. I've seen teams try this before when trying to get the ball back. But I guess Ryan flinched the ball a bit.

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2007, 04:46 PM
I don't know if you call tell from this or not.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ik05ouwpyco

VAMike
11-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Really can't see in this video. From the reaction of the head linesman, it seems he saw something wrong with the snap as he is shutting it down before he even knows which team might have fallen on it. Does not look like he flagged although he does make a move with his right hand that seems like he is reaching for the flag momentarily.