PDA

View Full Version : Interesting trip for Lubbock Coronado team

wildstangs
11-17-2007, 12:24 AM
I took this from The LSW Conference board....

The New Mexico Highway Patrol just denied Lubbock Coronado the ability to travel through New Mexico to get to their playoff game in El Paso because they: Didn't have a permit! Monterey made it through, okay, but the Coronado buses were denied access to New Mexico roadways.

Coronado is in the process of driving to Odessa to catch I-20.

I've heard some crazy stuff, in my life, but this one takes the cake!

Tiger Turtle
11-17-2007, 06:09 AM
Doesn't that violate the interstate commerce clause? ...or maybe the "full faith & credit" clause? What a bunch of dips. I say we call for economic sanctions against NM and throw a blockade around the whole state line.

rundoe
11-17-2007, 08:21 AM
unbelievable!!!!!! I hope they make it

raider red 2000
11-17-2007, 08:51 AM
both lubbock teams that went to el paso won.

coronado scored a safety in the final seconds to win 23-21.

monterey won big. 62- 14

STANG RED
11-17-2007, 09:14 AM
This is BS! NM relies heavily on Texans going there for gambling and skiing. Boycot em for a while. I bet they'd see things differently pretty quick.

3afan
11-17-2007, 09:26 AM
as usual - there is more to this story than NM not letting Texans use their roads ......

raider red 2000
11-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
as usual - there is more to this story than NM not letting Texans use their roads ......

anyone know the rest of the story

STANG RED
11-17-2007, 10:04 AM

So then lay it on us. If you know there is more to the story, you must know what that is, or surely you wouldnt have made that post.:confused:

Gobbla2001
11-17-2007, 10:08 AM
maybe it's federal law? maybe the mass transportation of minors across state lines requires the school/drivers etc... to have permits?

raider red 2000
11-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
maybe it's federal law? maybe the mass transportation of minors across state lines requires the school/drivers etc... to have permits?

but why would the other lubbock school get to do it.

also....lubbock schools frequently play against schools from EP and the shortest way is to go through new mexico.

strange thing is....that butch henderson the head coach at coronado has a brother (cooper) who coaches in new mexico....he is a legend there....won like 10 state titles at artesia.

Gobbla2001
11-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
but why would the other lubbock school get to do it.

also....lubbock schools frequently play against schools from EP and the shortest way is to go through new mexico.

I dunno, maybe they never get pulled over... I really don't know what the deal is... seems weird...

maybe his brother was pulling a prank on him?

3afan
11-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
So then lay it on us. If you know there is more to the story, you must know what that is, or surely you wouldnt have made that post.:confused:

i know nothing more of this ... just common sense, to me at least, thats there is more to this than selective enforcement of some interstate commerce law

but hell, maybe not

raider red 2000
11-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I dunno, maybe they never get pulled over... I really don't know what the deal is... seems weird...

maybe his brother was pulling a prank on him?

maybe the cop that pulled him over got whipped by a boy from texas once :)

wildstangs
11-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Apparently Monterey passed through town before the checkpoint was open since their game had an earlier start. Niether had the proper liscense to get through - I dont know any more details than that. Just thought it was funny.

Gobbla2001
maybe the cop that pulled him over got whipped by a boy from texas once :)

it is possible :thinking:

CHS_Grad '85
strange thing is....that butch henderson the head coach at coronado has a brother (cooper) who coaches in new mexico....he is a legend there....won like 10 state titles at artesia. Maybe that's the problem right there...

3afan
11-17-2007, 10:38 AM
what license is required? must be something special for vehicles carrying passengers ...

raider red 2000
11-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Apparently Monterey passed through town before the checkpoint was open since their game had an earlier start. Niether had the proper liscense to get through - I dont know any more details than that. Just thought it was funny.

that is pretty funny.

i would have been super pissed having to detour like that when it is already a 6-7 hour trip.

wildstangs
11-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Here is the original thread

http://www.mywesttexasfootball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3967

The really funny part of this story is why does New Mexico think it should be a privelage to drive through their ugly state on their pathetic roads. With the exception of Ruidoso, the rest of the state is pretty much a waste.

Gobbla2001
11-17-2007, 10:44 AM
what license is required? must be something special for vehicles carrying passengers ...

that's what I was saying... mass transportation of minors... or it could just be mass transportation of people period...

raider red 2000
11-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Here is the original thread

http://www.mywesttexasfootball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3967

The really funny part of this story is why does New Mexico think it should be a privelage to drive through their ugly state on their pathetic roads. With the exception of Ruidoso, the rest of the state is pretty much a waste.

good stuff there

VAMike
11-17-2007, 11:52 AM
I guess NM has "little man's syndrome" and just like useless little countries (can you say Venezuela) , tries to take advantage when it can. With policies like this it is no wonder they are a pimple on the map and likely will never change.

That being said, it is my understanding the charter company knew it would have to buy a permit and even had past-due payments for previous permits so should not have been a surprise to them . The school district needs to reconsider their use of that company.