PDA

View Full Version : Little known fact about 1963 Texas NC + more...

g$$
11-16-2007, 04:31 PM
**History of Texas receiving favorable calls? Remember Kansas a few years ago on phantom PI call? How about Tech last year in Lubbock (which the Big 12 later admitted was wrong call)? Read this one...**

Nov. 16, 2007, 1:08AM
TV-RADIO NOTEBOOK
FSN special sheds light on '63 UT-A&M game

By DAVID BARRON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

We cranky old sportswriters can be exceedingly snooty when it comes to our knowledge of sports history. We think we know more than most fans, and we're positive we can't learn anything from watching television.

Today, however, I must acknowledge that I know a little more about the Thanksgiving Day 1963 game between the Texas Longhorns and Texas A&M Aggies, a pivotal game in the Darrell Royal era at Texas, having watched FSN Southwest's Spotlight: 1963 Texas-Texas A&M, which airs at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday and 7:30 p.m. Thanksgiving.

FSN's Joel Grunberger began work on the film after viewing a tape of 1963 Southwest Conference highlights obtained from the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

While watching the film, narrated by the legendary Kern Tips, he learned for the first time about some of the better-known aspects of the game — that it was almost scrubbed because of President Kennedy's assassination, that a vastly superior Texas team struggled to beat a 2-7-1 A&M team 15-13, clinching the national championship, and that the Longhorns benefited late in the game from an official's call that wiped out an apparent end-zone interception by Aggies defender Jim Willenborg.

The Willenborg interception-that-wasn't provides the program's contribution to SWC history.

A film clip from the SWC highlight reel shows a man wearing a hat and a trench coat, standing behind the goal posts with a clear view of the play, vigorously waving his arms to signal an incomplete pass as Willenborg tumbles to the ground.

Almost simultaneously, an official standing to Willenborg's left and looking directly toward the man in the trench coat, also signaled that the pass was incomplete. Texas retained possession and scored the winning touchdown a few plays later.

So who was the man in the trench coat, you ask?

At the time, he was the sports editor of The Daily Texan, the University of Texas student newspaper. After a brief stint in the newspaper business after graduation, he returned to Austin, where he eventually became UT's sports information director.

As Texas fans certainly know by now, the man in the trench coat was Bill Little, who went on to become one of the foremost historians of Texas football. And he insists today, as he did in 1963, that Willenborg was juggling the ball as he fell out of bounds and that the official's call was correct.

Willenborg and Little were interviewed for the program, as were Royal, Texas players Tom Stockton and David McWilliams and A&M players Joe Wellborn, John Brotherton and Jim Keller.

Former editor to try radio
Former Chronicle sports editor Fred Faour, who left the newspaper earlier this month, said Thursday he plans to launch a regularly scheduled weekend show within the next two weeks on KGOW (1560 AM). He makes his first appearance on the station alongside host David Nuno from 2-6 p.m. Sunday.

"I'm happy to be working with these guys," Faour said. "I bring knowledge about Houston sports history that I'll put up against anybody in the city, and I can talk about topics like horse racing and poker that people can't get from other stations."

Four DVRs, no waiting
ABC will devote 21 cameras to its 11 a.m. Sunday broadcast (KTRK, Ch. 13) of the MLS Cup between the Dynamo and New England Revolution from Washington. Dave O'Brien will call the game with Eric Wynalda and Julie Foudy. Steve Mark has the radio call on KBME (790 AM). ...

FSN Houston managed to track down an HD production truck for the Lakers-Rockets game Wednesday night and was rewarded with a 3.4 Nielsen household rating. ESPN, which also aired the game in HD, had a 2.2 rating in Houston. The two networks go head-to-head again tonight in San Antonio, where Mike Tirico and Hubie Brown face off against Bill Worrell and Matt Bullard. In the undercard, the Rockets take on the Spurs. ... The Texans will make a rare appearance on Fox Sports and KRIV (Ch. 26) on Sunday. Chris Rose and Terry Donahue will call the New Orleans-Houston game, and Matt Sampsell of Channel 26 will work the sidelines. The game will not be broadcast in HDTV. Fox has eight games this weekend, and Saints-Texans is one of two games that didn't make the HD cut. ...

HBO Sports makes an exceedingly rare foray to this part of the world with a segment on Oklahoma State benefactor Boone Pickens during the next edition of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel at 9 p.m. Tuesday. ... We'll summarize sports-related DVD holiday shopping options in December, but, given the price tag, you'll need extra time to budget a little extra — actually, a lot extra — for the America's Game Collectors Set from NFL Films and Warner Home Video. The 40-DVD set includes each episode from the America's Game series on Super Bowl winners plus an astonishing 60 hours of outtakes that didn't make the broadcast versions on NFL Network. Suggested retail is an admittedly steep $199.98, but it's this year's must-have for NFL history junkies. ...

Lesley Visser of CBS will be honored today in New York by CSTV with the network's Women in Sports Trailblazers award. ... ESPNU has the NCAA's Championship Subdivision (a.k.a. Division I-AA) selection show at 2:30 p.m. Sunday. ...

Mark Fainaru-Wada of the San Francisco Chronicle, co-author of Game of Shadows, and T.J. Quinn of the New York Daily News, who wrote about performance-enhancing drugs for that newspaper, have joined ESPN's enterprise unit. ... Every Man a Tiger: The Eddie Robinson Story premieres Nov. 24 at 12:30 p.m. on NBC followed immediately by the State Farm Bayou Classic between Grambling State and Southern. ... In addition to the aforementioned Spotlight feature, FSN will preview the Texas-Texas A&M game at 7 p.m. Thanksgiving Day and 11:30 a.m. Nov. 23. Emily Jones hosts, with contributions from former A&M coach Jackie Sherrill, interviews with Texas coach Mack Brown and A&M coach Dennis Franchione and features on UT running back Jamaal Charles and Aggies quarterback Stephen McGee.

david.barron@chron.com

Snyder_TigerFan
11-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$
**History of Texas receiving favorable calls?

I stopped reading right there.:rolleyes:

g$$
11-16-2007, 04:39 PM
I didn't write it - you might learn something from history. Well-respected & long-time writer David Barron did, thanks.

Phil C
11-16-2007, 04:48 PM
I knew a high school coach and he had seen the films of the game and he said that it was close but that the call was correct and that the Aggie player was out of bounds.

Still I wish we could see that game on ESPN classics or somewhere.

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Never miss a way to take a shot at Texas

g$$
11-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I knew a high school coach and he had seen the films of the game and he said that it was close but that the call was correct and that the Aggie player was out of bounds.

Still I wish we could see that game on ESPN classics or somewhere.

I have not seen it - just a good read that's all.

Phil C
11-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I have not seen it - just a good read that's all.

I wish it was available g$$.

g$$
11-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Watch the show next week & I bet they will show it. Times are listed in article for airing on FSN. I hope to see it too.

Phil C
11-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Watch the show next week & I bet they will show it. Times are listed in article for airing on FSN. I hope to see it too.

Do you know when the show will be on g$$? Please post if you find out and I will do the same. I didn't get to see that game on tv but listened to the radio. It would be good to see the play even though they didn't have replay or reviews back then and some of the coverage was not that great.

g$$
11-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Never miss a way to take a shot at Texas

Defensive much? Try acting classy like Phil & having a good conversation. It was meant as informational.

No denying this has been a pattern though...to the victor goes the spoils I guess.

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Not defensive at all just stating a fact.

g$$
11-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
[B
Today, however, I must acknowledge that I know a little more about the Thanksgiving Day 1963 game between the Texas Longhorns and Texas A&M Aggies, a pivotal game in the Darrell Royal era at Texas, having watched FSN Southwest's Spotlight: 1963 Texas-Texas A&M, which airs at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday and 7:30 p.m. Thanksgiving.

FSN's Joel Grunberger began work on the film after viewing a tape of 1963 Southwest Conference highlights obtained from the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

[/B]

Here you go Phil.

10:30 PM Tuesday
7:30 PM Thursday
FSN

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:00 PM

The fact that you're defensive & refuse to learn something from history. I have not seen it, just meant as informational.

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by g$$
The fact that you're defensive & refuse to learn something from history. I have not seen it, just meant as informational. Your the one that is defensive. All I said was that you never miss a chance to take a shot at Texas. You are the one who goes on the defensive rebound.

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Your the one that is defensive. All I said was that you never miss a chance to take a shot at Texas. You are the one who goes on the defensive rebound.

Sad.

I posted something where you can learn more about the 1963 season, & you turn it into being defensive. Par for the course with you. Way too easy.

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Sad.

I posted something where you can learn more about the 1963 season, & you turn it into being defensive. Par for the course with you. Way too easy. Now your typical spin cycle. Classic g$$ post.

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Now your typical spin cycle. Classic g$$ post.

Glad you enjoyed it & hope you learned something pre-1997.

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Glad you enjoyed it & hope you learned something pre-1997. Yes that Texas has always been good at football and A&M just had a 10-15 year stint of being good.

Phil C
11-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Here you go Phil.

10:30 PM Tuesday
7:30 PM Thursday
FSN

Thank you g$$. I am going to set my recorder tonight to be sure to not miss it.

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Yes that Texas has always been good at football and A&M just had a 10-15 year stint of being good.

Your history needs work. A&M ranks in top 20 all-time in wins. A&M had more than a 10-15 year run. Check the late teens thru early 1940s. Check years under Bear Bryant. Check best Aggie team ever 1975, cover of SI. Check 1985-1994. NC 1939, Big 12 Runner-Up 1997, Big 12 Champ 1998. There have many lean years too. But not just a 10-15 year run either.

Check Texas in mid to late 1980s thru early to mid 1990s. They could not even sell out the stadium regularly. Check out why DKR was hired, & Mack Brown for that matter. Texas is a great program but they have had their lean years too. You only know the present & refuse to learn from history. Sad.

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Your history needs work. A&M had more than a 10-15 year run. Check the late teens thru early 1940s. Check years under Bear Bryant. Check best Aggie yeam ever 1975, cover of SI. Check 1985-1994. NC 1939, Big 12 Runner-Up 1997, Big 12 Champ 1998. There have many lean years too. But not just a 10-15 year run either.

Check Texas in mid to late 1980s thru early to mid 1990s. They could not even sell out the stadium regularly. Check out why DKR was hired. Texas is a great program but they have had their lean years too. You only know the present & refuse to learn from history. Sad. Wow...mediocre teams for A&M but their fans find them to be great. '85-'98 is the stint I'm talking about.

Congrats on the 1939 NC team the last great Aggie team. ;)

Texas is on the verge of becoming #2 on the all-time wins list. Texas has been great for a number of years. A&M's goodness comes in stints. Don't correct me on goodness because I wrote it that way on purpose.

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Wow...mediocre teams for A&M but their fans find them to be great. '85-'98 is the stint I'm talking about.

Congrats on the 1939 NC team the last great Aggie team. ;)

Texas is on the verge of becoming #2 on the all-time wins list. Texas has been great for a number of years. A&M's goodness comes in stints. Don't correct me on goodness because I wrote it that way on purpose.

Work on reading comprehension. I stated the facts about both programs. And learn history if you want to pop off. Your lack of knowledge pre-1997 is very telling. Both have had ups & downs, with Texas being the overall better program no doubt.

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$
with Texas being the overall better program no doubt. Thank your for aknowledging my point :)

Phil C
11-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Back to the 1963 game and that fateful call I was 15 at the time and I remember the controversy right after the game. I have a feeling when the play is shown i(if it is) that it will not be conclusive. As I said back then there was no replay and no reviews and sometimes even the camera angles are not always helpful. What I think happened is that it was a very close play and probably one of those that could have gone either way.

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Back to the 1963 game and that fateful call I was 15 at the time and I remember the controversy right after the game. I have a feeling when the play is shown i(if it is) that it will not be conclusive. As I said back then there was no replay and no reviews and sometimes even the camera angles are not always helpful. What I think happened is that it was a very close play and probably one of those that could have gone either way.

Probably right Phil.

JHS_c/o_06'
11-16-2007, 05:46 PM
what excuse are you going to make when A&M gets beat at home?

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
what excuse are you going to make when A&M gets beat at home? coaching haha

Phil C
11-16-2007, 05:49 PM
I never saw the films but in 1960 Arkansas and Mississippi were tied 7 to 7 late in the game (back then no OT. If the game ended in a tie that was it). Mississippi kicked a field goal late in the game to win 10 to 7. Many Arkansas fans at the game said it was wide and many that saw the films said it proved it was wide. It didn't change the score but the Referree that called the field goal good (I think his name was Tommy Bell) later became an NFL referee that was high respected and considered one of the best in the business.

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
what excuse are you going to make when A&M gets beat at home?

Hey, I hope A&M wins.

But since I have said all year that we stink, I guess none huh? I don't make excuses youngster. Check anything I have ever posted. If you want to call me out, you better darn sure have proof. A&M is awful & will have a new coach in 2 weeks max.

That being said, I expect a close game. A&M will play for pride at home & Texas is simply not that good this year (another onsides kick recovery, had 3 already?). Got whipped by mediocre K-State team at home by 20, barely beat awful NEB, & escaped 5-5 Ok State among others. If you think Texas is all that, then good luck...

Texas wins a close one, Fran gets fired, A&M hires new coach regardless. I hate excuse makers. You either win or lose. Got it?

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:54 PM
I never saw the films but in 1960 Arkansas and Mississippi were tied 7 to 7 late in the game (back then no OT. If the game ended in a tie that was it). Mississippi kicked a field goal late in the game to win 10 to 7. Many Arkansas fans at the game said it was wide and many that saw the films said it proved it was wide. It didn't change the score but the Referree that called the field goal good (I think his name was Tommy Bell) later became an NFL referee that was high respected and considered one of the best in the business.

Good info. Phil.

See that is how you learn stuff Go Blue.

JHS_c/o_06'
11-16-2007, 05:55 PM
its all in good fun man....i'm just trying to start something.

lol....i love this time of year. I hope its an interesting game....with Texas coming out on top of course.

g$$
11-16-2007, 06:06 PM
All in fun.

But, if the Ags rise up & win, what excuse will the Horns make?

rockdale80
11-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Hey, I hope A&M wins.

But since I have said all year that we stink, I guess none huh? I don't make excuses youngster. Check anything I have ever posted. If you want to call me out, you better darn sure have proof. A&M is awful & will have a new coach in 2 weeks max.

That being said, I expect a close game. A&M will play for pride at home & Texas is simply not that good this year (another onsides kick recovery, had 3 already?). Got whipped by mediocre K-State team at home by 20, barely beat awful NEB, & escaped 5-5 Ok State among others. If you think Texas is all that, then good luck...

Texas wins a close one, Fran gets fired, A&M hires new coach regardless. I hate excuse makers. You either win or lose. Got it?

You are a book of excuses. You should be a speech writer for the Bush administration. We have all learned that we can't hold you to anything....even when you ask us to. Favorable calls or not, Texas has owned ATM for several years. Even if you take away that '63 NC title, UT still has more than the Ags. Spin it. :rolleyes:

JR2004
11-17-2007, 07:23 PM

I'm going to hold you to those facts too!

rockdale80
11-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I'm going to hold you to those facts too!

If he is like some people on this board, he won't let you. Good luck though. ;)

Phil C
11-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey g$$ talk about memories I got to see the 1962 UT vs A&M football game because we were in Houston that year for Thanksgiving and the family watched it on tv. It didn't have the drama that the 1963 game had but it was a good game. UT had been tied by Rice 14 to 14 so there were no NC implications but still UT had a chance to have an unbeaten regular season. The Aggies had only won 3 games that year but man they came to Austin ready to play.
It was a defensive game and as I remember A&M scored in the second quarter and led 3 - 0 and that was the score at the end of the third quarter. UT scored 2 tds in the fourth quarter to win 13 - 3 thanks mainly to the running of their fullback Ray Poage. It was a great defensive game by both teams. UT's great All American Linebacker senior Johnny Treadwell was very complimentary in the after game interview about the play of the Aggies.

Phil C
11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Tonight (Tuesday) is the night! I hope they show game films especially on UT's last drive.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Yeah, you may not be defensive about it, but you're a hypocrite for calling him out. Look it up, I know you don't have an extensive vocabulary.

g$$
11-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
You are a book of excuses. You should be a speech writer for the Bush administration. We have all learned that we can't hold you to anything....even when you ask us to. Favorable calls or not, Texas has owned ATM for several years. Even if you take away that '63 NC title, UT still has more than the Ags. Spin it. :rolleyes:

When I say it, hold me all you want to it. I never have said differently. Texas rallied to beat 5-5 Ok State thanks to a missed FG - wow. Has recovered 3 onsides kicks too to beat inferior opponents. Spin what? Having a bad day Rock? You use this forum to take shots at Bush, stay classy patriot.

No doubt Texas has the advantage overall (73-35-5). And Texas has dominated lately too. Friday will be the 114th meeting between the schools.

But remember, A&M used to be an all-male, all military school too. Check the series record since 1975 (when lots of things changed in college football including scholarship limits, etc. if you know history). Most historians refer to the Modern Era of College Football starting in the mid-1970s:

Since 1975:
17 wins for A&M
15 wins for Texas

Now, both schools have had runs of late:
--A&M won 6 in a row from 1984-1989
--A&M won 10/11 from 1984-1994

--Texas won 6 in a row from 2000-2005
--Texas has won 7/10 since 1997

You got owned on vocabulary issues - remember "embattled"? I sure do. Now your history is lacking too. Study up Rock.

g$$
11-22-2007, 06:32 AM
Hey g$$ talk about memories I got to see the 1962 UT vs A&M football game because we were in Houston that year for Thanksgiving and the family watched it on tv. It didn't have the drama that the 1963 game had but it was a good game. UT had been tied by Rice 14 to 14 so there were no NC implications but still UT had a chance to have an unbeaten regular season. The Aggies had only won 3 games that year but man they came to Austin ready to play.
It was a defensive game and as I remember A&M scored in the second quarter and led 3 - 0 and that was the score at the end of the third quarter. UT scored 2 tds in the fourth quarter to win 13 - 3 thanks mainly to the running of their fullback Ray Poage. It was a great defensive game by both teams. UT's great All American Linebacker senior Johnny Treadwell was very complimentary in the after game interview about the play of the Aggies.

Good stuff Phil, always enjoy your posts. Hoping for a good game Friday too.

rockdale80
11-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by g$$
When I say it, hold me all you want to it. I never have said differently. Texas rallied to beat 5-5 Ok State thanks to a missed FG - wow. Has recovered 3 onsides kicks too to beat inferior opponents. Spin what? Having a bad day Rock? You use this forum to take shots at Bush, stay classy patriot.

No doubt Texas has the advantage overall (73-35-5). And Texas has dominated lately too. Friday will be the 114th meeting between the schools.

But remember, A&M used to be an all-male, all military school too. Check the series record since 1975 (when lots of things changed in college football including scholarship limits, etc. if you know history). Most historians refer to the Modern Era of College Football starting in the mid-1970s:

Since 1975:
17 wins for A&M
15 wins for Texas

Now, both schools have had runs of late:
--A&M won 6 in a row from 1984-1989
--A&M won 10/11 from 1984-1994

--Texas won 6 in a row from 2000-2005
--Texas has won 7/10 since 1997

You got owned on vocabulary issues - remember "embattled"? I sure do. Now your history is lacking too. Study up Rock.

My history? And no my vocabulary didnt get owned. TEXAS HAS MORE WINS. But I guess if the history doesnt dictate what you want it to, then you can try and put different slants on it to sound the way you want it to.

73-35 is the history. Nothing for me to concede in this argument. And you talk to me like I am a huge horns fan. I support them and always have, but that doesnt make me an Aggie hater. I support them, and more so now that my brother plays there. Your fixation with downing Ut is unhealthy.

JasperDog94
11-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I don't make excuses youngster. Check anything I have ever posted. If you want to call me out, you better darn sure have proof. Okay, how about being asked to be held to a score and then getting all defensive about it afterwards?;)

Old Tiger
11-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Yeah, you may not be defensive about it, but you're a hypocrite for calling him out. Look it up, I know you don't have an extensive vocabulary. How am I a hyprocite for calling him out? Don't get booty hurt about it. I aint talkin about you or to you.

JR2004
11-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Okay, how about being asked to be held to a score and then getting all defensive about it afterwards?;)

Whoa Hoss! Let's not go there unless of course you want me to hold you to going there! :)

g$$
11-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
My history? And no my vocabulary didnt get owned. TEXAS HAS MORE WINS. But I guess if the history doesnt dictate what you want it to, then you can try and put different slants on it to sound the way you want it to.

73-35 is the history. Nothing for me to concede in this argument. And you talk to me like I am a huge horns fan. I support them and always have, but that doesnt make me an Aggie hater. I support them, and more so now that my brother plays there. Your fixation with downing Ut is unhealthy.

You sound like an embattled poster. I hope by now you finally know the word's meaning. I never questioned the series record - hell I posted it!

g$$
11-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Okay, how about being asked to be held to a score and then getting all defensive about it afterwards?;)

Texas won, big deal. Mediocre OK State choked. I was very close in my prediction. Big deal. Texas still has ZERO quality wins!

JasperDog94
11-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas won, big deal. Mediocre OK State choked. I was very close in my prediction. Big deal. Texas still has ZERO quality wins! blah, blah, blah...you were wrong. You asked to be held to it and you were. Way to "spin it".:doh: :doh: :doh:

g$$
11-23-2007, 12:28 AM
blah, blah, blah...you were wrong. You asked to be held to it and you were. Way to "spin it".:doh: :doh: :doh:

If that fills your twinkies & makes you feel better, so be it. Hold me to whatever I say. It makes no difference to me. Texas was lucky to win - but still has ZERO quality wins!

Txbroadcaster
11-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by g$$
If that fills your twinkies & makes you feel better, so be it. Hold me to whatever I say. It makes no difference to me. Texas was lucky to win - but still has ZERO quality wins!

ok i have to ask.how many quality win chances did Texas have with the schedule this year?

And agian with ALL of the upsets and crazy games this year has been more about surviving games then just quality wins

g$$
11-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
ok i have to ask.how many quality win chances did Texas have with the schedule this year?

And agian with ALL of the upsets and crazy games this year has been more about surviving games then just quality wins

OU to start. Didn't happen. Getting blown out by K-State didn't help either at home. Barely surviving NEB, UCF, & Ark State...

How about beefing up the OOC schedule? Heck, Mizzou beat Illinois.

Yes, it has been a crazy year. What, like 5 #2 teams have fallen? Point is you are still rewarded for beating good teams. Ranked teams. Texas has ZERO quality wins. You can't just dismiss it as a crazy year. Texas just isn't that good this year. Not elite anyway.

Big Papa
11-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by g$$
OU to start. Didn't happen. Getting blown out by K-State didn't help either at home. Barely surviving NEB, UCF, & Ark State...

Yes, it has been a crazy year. What, like 5 #2 teams have fallen? Point is you are still rewarded for beating good teams. Ranked teams. Texas has ZERO quality wins. You can't just dismiss it as a crazy year. Texas just isn't that good this year. Not elite anyway.

wait TXB i gotcha on this one...

Originally posted by g$$
OU to start. Didn't happen.

theres your answer...one chance and that was a pretty good game...wait im spinning it...nm

Txbroadcaster
11-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Why beef up your OCC? All that does is hurt more than help because it is all done with rankings..Only teams at bottom of top 20 need the major OCC wins, teams in top 10 need to basically hold the road with their schedule and they will be closer to being in the title game then out

g$$
11-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why beef up your OCC? All that does is hurt more than help because it is all done with rankings..Only teams at bottom of top 20 need the major OCC wins, teams in top 10 need to basically hold the road with their schedule and they will be closer to being in the title game then out

True, but computers (3) still take into account SOS & power rankings. Texas has suffered all year with the computers. That attitude right there is why we need a playoff. It would allow teams to beef up OOC schedules without fear of losing once.

Texas did not hold serve. They are what they are. They also still have a shot at the BCS Bowls. Only because name is Texas too. Kansas or Mizzou will probably get screwed (loser Sat.).

navscanmaster
11-23-2007, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Texas did not hold serve. They are what they are. They also still have a shot at the BCS Bowls. Only because name is Texas too. Kansas or Mizzou will probably get screwed (loser Sat.).

True, True:clap:

Old Tiger
11-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Fact of the matter is if Appalacian State can beat Michigan....Stanford can beat USC then SOS means nothing. Mediocre teams have been handed some of their rankings, Ex: Arizona State. If this was a regular college football year the top 25 wouldn't be as shook up as it is. Staying alive is the key this year. Anyway you look at it Texas is 9-2 and going for their 7th 10 win season in a row.

JasperDog94
11-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by g$$
They also still have a shot at the BCS Bowls. Only because name is Texas too. Yeah, I'm sure that 10 win seasons for over half a decade means nothing.:rolleyes:

JasperDog94
11-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by g$$
If I asked you at the beginning of the season to pick either TCU or Illinois to beef up your schedule, who would you have picked?

Exactly.