PDA

View Full Version : Who is gonna have the best 3-A team in the RGV?..

Kool Tarpon 21
08-16-2002, 01:12 AM
I don't really know how well the other teams are going to be, but I know that the Tarpons are gonna be the ones to prove anyone that doubts us wrong...In other words, it's all about the Port Isabel Tarpons...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-19-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Kool Tarpon 21:
I don't really know how well the other teams are going to be, but I know that the Tarpons are gonna be the ones to prove anyone that doubts us wrong...In other words, it's all about the Port Isabel Tarpons...

RH will give you good comp. But I remember the good ol' days when RH sucked. We could put up 49 points on them without any real effort. Beat them, and you're IN!

La Feria, haven't they learned their lesson for talking too much smack? SMACK THEM AGAIN!

Raymondville.......paybacks are a BITCH. Take 'em out!

Lyford always plays P.I. tough, perseverance is the key against them.

everyone else.....play hard and never let up. From what I hear, Progreso might surprise someone. Don't let it be the Tarpons.

Big Tarp 74
08-19-2002, 06:54 PM
If PI players can keep from being hurt, and keep their grades up they have a chance. If not, it going to be a long long season. The team has only about 25 players. I do not understand why they have such a low turn out. I spoke to at least 5 juniors, that are not playing this year. 1 stated he had family issues. The other 4, stated that the coach made some policy, if you did not make it to two a days, dont bother to come, and play at all. Was supprised! Both my wife, and I could not beleive that we have come down, to turning down players for not making it to two a days. As for PI, they will not have the services of at least 4 ball players that played last year. All of these boys had some size. I told them, it is sad we have all these kids, but they either choose not to play, or are driven off by our coaching staff. This realy make me think!
It should make everyone think! In the days when Tommy Robert was coach, we had more than 35 players playing. Now with a larger school enrollment, we have less players playing. What gives? Have the times change so much, that the kids dont care anymore? Are they tired of football? What is it? I know that the Port Isable fan realy would like to know. We almost have more cheerleaders than football players. If we keep this up, we will not need to worrie about having a football team. At that point all we will have is past history.

Old Green
08-19-2002, 07:10 PM
I think it goes in cycles Big Tarp. Three years ago Cuero had 205 boys out for football enough that they fielded two Freshman teams. This year just 118 showed up. Talked to a few kids that were not playing and it all came down to economics. I can understand that part. But when the Coach sets the rules for particpation in the sports you have to abide by them. Those 25 young men who went thru the two a days are very dedicated and will come thru with flying colors and represent their team and school well as long as there are no outside interfence. P.I. will do well and win 32AAA. Good luck Tarpons.

Bull Butter
08-19-2002, 08:49 PM
Sounds to me like those 4 boys are pretty lazy and do not want to have make the same sacrifice that the other boys are making. If I was a coach, I wouldn't want these boys on the team either!

This also reeks of the old worn-out "When things aren't going good, blame it on the coach" philosophy.

Big Tarp 74
08-23-2002, 12:27 PM
I have to agree, I do not know if its the football program, or the kids. They are just to many other things in our area that could be keeping the kids from comming out. I saw some fathers of ball players upset because they had been out of town on vacation when practice started. The coaches said they could not play. Then what happen if you have kids in migriant work programs, do those kids get to play. I just think the kids opt for the beach and the girls, and the heck with football. They just take the easiest way out.

Originally posted by Bull Butter:
Sounds to me like those 4 boys are pretty lazy and do not want to have make the same sacrifice that the other boys are making. If I was a coach, I wouldn't want these boys on the team either!

This also reeks of the old worn-out "When things aren't going good, blame it on the coach" philosophy.

TarponR13K
09-01-2002, 02:54 PM
No offense to any of the PI coaches but...did they really say No to kids that were out on vacation when practice started? Are they going to get to play or not? That hardly seems fair. I mean, I know they missed practice but if they are dedicated and interested enough in the game, surely they could catch up and maybe even get ahead. And if they couldn't, screw it, don't play em. What ever happened to letting kids play football just to play and have a good time? It's all comp comp comp these days. Sooner or later nobody is going to want to play because all of the fun will have been drained out of it. I guess we'll see how that worked out this Saturday in PSJA