PDA

View Full Version : Texas Longhorns Still Alive!

CowboyBillWatts
11-16-2007, 11:23 AM
How about this scenario?

Tech beats OU
Kansas beats Iowa State
Missouri beats Kansas State

OSU beats OU
Kansas beats Missouri or Missouri beats Kansas
Texas beats a&m

Texas beats Missouri or Kansas in the Big XII Championship Game

Texas earns BCS bid.

That sounds fun if you're a Horn fan, huh?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-16-2007, 11:26 AM
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. The Horns have to come to our home turf and win first, and despite everything I don't see that happening.

pirate4state
11-16-2007, 11:36 AM
How's this? If they would have just taken care of business to begin with there wouldn't be any need for crazy scenarios! :doh:

BBDE - try and get on TV next week! :D

CowboyBillWatts
11-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. The Horns have to come to our home turf and win first, and despite everything I don't see that happening.

You're right. You're high powered offense should dominate the 'Horns. McGee, wow, he's incredible!

JasperDog94
11-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm all for being optimistic, but let's get real. That's crazy to think all of that would happen, plus Texas has lost numerous starters this year plus all the NFL players from last year's team. I'm pleased at where we are right now. Now let's just concentrate on beating A&M and let the chips fall where they may.

KTJ
11-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

Curious as to why you don't see that being possible...

CowboyBillWatts
11-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'm all for being optimistic, but let's get real. That's crazy to think all of that would happen, plus Texas has lost numerous starters this year plus all the NFL players from last year's team. I'm pleased at where we are right now. Now let's just concentrate on beating A&M and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm calling this now! TECH will beat OU in Lubbock this weekend. This will set up a fun Turkey week of "what ifs" for the UT-a&m and ou-OSU games!

TECH 38 ou 35

Mark it down!

Cowboy Bill Watts says it!

KTJ
11-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by CowboyBillWatts
How about this scenario?

Tech beats OU
Kansas beats Iowa State

OSU beats OU
Texas beats a&m

Texas beats Missouri or Kansas in the Big XII Championship Game

Texas earns BCS bid.

And I'm willing to bet you're not a Horn fan.

UT doesn't have to win the Big 12 to possibly get a BCS bid. Just be in the top 14 and we could possibly make it there, thanks to our rep and traveling fans. Although I will say that the Gator Bowl REALLY wants us in Jax.

Adidas410s
11-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Sorry...but your scenario just isn't going to happen. However...this one is VERY much in play:

Mizzou beats Kansas
Texas beats A&M

Oklahoma beats Mizzou

Oklahoma heads to the MNC as the #2 team. The Fiesta would then have to take 2 teams, the Sugar 2, and the Orange Bowl 1.

For their 2nd at-large team...the bowls can pick between these schools:

Texas (10-2, losses to BlowU and KState, biggest win vs Texas Tech, on a 6-game winning streak, season ticket sales (including LASP) of over 70,000)
Missouri (10-2, 2 losses to BlowU, biggest win vs Kansas, lost last game, can't find season ticket sales but it's far less than 65k
Kansas (11-1, lost to Mizzou, biggest win vs Nebraska, lost last game, can't find season ticket sales info)

I could see why somebody might choose to award Kansas with a spot in a BCS bowl for having such a great season...but a 2 loss Mizzou team isn't as appealing to a bowl committee as a 2 loss Texas team in terms of ticket sales/economic impact.

Adidas410s
11-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

UT doesn't have to win the Big 12 to possibly get a BCS bid. Just be in the top 14 and we could possibly make it there, thanks to our rep and traveling fans. Although I will say that the Gator Bowl REALLY wants us in Jax.

Gator Bowl not happening. Big 12 will have 2 teams in the BCS and thus Texas will go to Cotton or Holiday.

Quotes from Gator Bowl president, Rick Catlett:

"As a bowl volunteer, you like to get teams that are excited and have won some games at the end or have played some competitive games at the end,'' Catlett said. "Playing Oklahoma close would be a plus for Texas Tech. It would be even a bigger plus if they won, but we understand the level of play of Oklahoma is pretty high.''

"We'll go into the mid-60s (in ticket sales),'' he said. "Then you just hope the matchup's good enough to convince a few more people in Jacksonville to buy tickets and you get to the 70,000 number, which is what we shoot for every year. Texas Tech is known for their wide-open offense, and that could certainly be marketed.''

That said...I would love to see 1 Big 12 team in the BCS so that Tech will fall to the Alamo Bowl. I would love to see Tech vs Illinois/Wisconsin/Michigan/Penn State.

big daddy russ
11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Gator Bowl not happening. Big 12 will have 2 teams in the BCS and thus Texas will go to Cotton or Holiday.

Quotes from Gator Bowl president, Rick Catlett:

That said...I would love to see 1 Big 12 team in the BCS so that Tech will fall to the Alamo Bowl. I would love to see Tech vs Illinois/Wisconsin/Michigan/Penn State.
I also read something online this week that talked about the Gator going after a Big XII team no matter what happens.... even if they have to choose a potentially-five-loss Texas Tech team over a team like Wisconsin.

Wisconsin may finish with a much better year and would draw more fans this year, but if the Gator must split between Big XII and Big Ten teams every two years. Oh, and Notre Dame, who after a down year this year is primed for a bowl season next year, is grouped in with the Big Ten for all bowl candidacies. Pick up Tech this year, give the people a good offensive show, and wait until next year so they can MAYBE get the big ticket.

Interesting scenario.

Adidas410s
11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I also read something online this week that talked about the Gator going after a Big XII team no matter what happens.... even if they have to choose a potentially-five-loss Texas Tech team over a team like Wisconsin.

Wisconsin may finish with a much better year and would draw more fans this year, but if the Gator must split between Big XII and Big Ten teams every two years. Oh, and Notre Dame, who after a down year this year is primed for a bowl season next year, is grouped in with the Big Ten for all bowl candidacies. Pick up Tech this year, give the people a good offensive show, and wait until next year so they can MAYBE get the big ticket.

Interesting scenario.

That's the scenario...but it's either Big East #2/Notre Dame (looking like UConn or Cincy) or Big 12 #4 (or 5 this year if they get 2 teams in the BCS).

If they went Big East this year...then they would be forced to take Big 12 the next two years (it's a 4-year contract that started last year). No need to lock yourself out of hoping that ND can get to 8-9 wins in either 2008 or 2009.

Also Russ...it must be pointed out that the Masked Rider made his first ever appearance at the 1954 Gator Bowl!!! You can find a video of it on YouTube! :)

3afan
11-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

getting in a BCS bowl has NOTHING to do with "rep and traveling fans"

now, that may get you picked as Big XII # x or y over another team into a non-BCS bowl, but not into a BCS bowl ...for that its the BCS standings or win the Big XII title - period

crzyjournalist03
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

now, that may get you picked as Big XII # x or y over another team into a non-BCS bowl, but not into a BCS bowl ...for that its the BCS standings or win the Big XII title - period

that's only for guaranteed spots though right? The at-large berths go to whomever the bowl wants to see I thought so long as they're in the top 14...

3afan
11-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
that's only for guaranteed spots though right? The at-large berths go to whomever the bowl wants to see I thought so long as they're in the top 14...

i think we're agreeing ...

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Texas could make a BCS bowl without big 12 championship game win....

buff4life
11-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

the at-large bowl bids have everything to do with traveling reps and revenue

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 01:53 PM
marketing has everything to do with BCS bowls; Ex: Notre Dame

Adidas410s
11-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
the at-large bowl bids have everything to do with traveling reps and revenue
exactly!!!

CowboyBillWatts
11-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

I realize the BCS bid scenario, I just think it would be more fun for my aggie and sooner friends if the Horns would sneak in and steal a Big XII Championship!

g$$
11-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

True. An at-large team must have 9 victories & have a BCS final ranking of 14 or higher.

But, Big 12 Champion is slotted to play in Fiesta Bowl UNLESS it is playing in the NC game. There are 4 at-large spots available now & each of the 6 BCS conferences is limited to one.

Wisconsin got left out of the BCS last year at 11-1. Ohio State played in NC game & Michigan in Rose Bowl.

Kansas, OU, & Mizzou are all ahead of you right now. There will be changes with upcoming games & Big 12 Championship.

Bottom line, somebody will get left out. Texas has name & tv appeal. Kansas or Mizzou may get left out. Or Texas goes to Tier 2 Bowl like the Gator Bowl.

Adidas410s
11-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Bottom line, somebody will get left out. Texas has name & tv appeal. Kansas or Mizzou may get left out. Or Texas goes to Tier 2 Bowl like the Gator Bowl.

Gator Bowl picks after the Cotton and Holiday.

Texas will either go BCS or Holiday. I think the Cotton will take whichever team of the 4 has the highest ranking/standing that doesn't go BCS. They've never shown a propendcy to break from the ranking tradition (i.e. taking K-State, Okie Lite in a year where they finished ahead of Texas or A&M). Thus...Texas will likely be #4 in the conference and fall to the Holiday...assuming again that 2 Big 12 teams go to the BCS. If something happens and only 1 Big 12 team ends up in the BCS...then Texas would fall to the Gator and Tech to the Alamo. I'm all for that scenario but...given the current standings...it's unlikely to happen.

g$$
11-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Gator Bowl picks after the Cotton and Holiday.

Texas will either go BCS or Holiday. I think the Cotton will take whichever team of the 4 has the highest ranking/standing that doesn't go BCS. They've never shown a propendcy to break from the ranking tradition (i.e. taking K-State, Okie Lite in a year where they finished ahead of Texas or A&M). Thus...Texas will likely be #4 in the conference and fall to the Holiday...assuming again that 2 Big 12 teams go to the BCS. If something happens and only 1 Big 12 team ends up in the BCS...then Texas would fall to the Gator and Tech to the Alamo. I'm all for that scenario but...given the current standings...it's unlikely to happen.

Could be wrong, but isn't there a provision where the Gator can jump up in the picking order 1/4 years or something? I read it somewhere I think. You may be exactly right, just good convo.

Phil C
11-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Being a UT fan of course I want the Horns to win. But I would still like to know BBDE's number and I hope he gets to play and I know he will do a good job.

Anyway I don't really worry about UT's chances of getting a BCS bowl game or whatever right now. A lot of that is things they can't control. Right now they need to just worry about winning the game. First things first.

Leopards,class of 75
11-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Being a UT fan of course I want the Horns to win. But I would still like to know BBDE's number and I hope he gets to play and I know he will do a good job.

Anyway I don't really worry about UT's chances of getting a BCS bowl game or whatever right now. A lot of that is things they can't control. Right now they need to just worry about winning the game. First things first. Very good point!

g$$
11-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Texas could make a BCS bowl without big 12 championship game win....

Only with lots of help. Texas has name appeal, fan draw, etc., but others have better records & rankings. It will have to play out. Big 12 Champ + 1 at-large team will be in the BCS from Big 12 Conference. Then Tier 2 Bowls...

Texas has ZERO quality wins & that hurts them. OOC schedule did not help them, & they didn't play Kansas or Mizzou this year. Lost to OU & K-State. Will take everything falling right.

Old Tiger
11-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Only with lots of help. Texas has name appeal, fan draw, etc., but others have better records & rankings. It will have to play out. Big 12 Champ + 1 at-large team will be in the BCS from Big 12 Conference. Then Tier 2 Bowls...

Texas has ZERO quality wins & that hurts them. OOC schedule did not help them, & they didn't play Kansas or Mizzou this year. Lost to OU & K-State. Will take everything falling right. If Kansas loses and Mizzou makes it to the big 12. Texas would receive it before one of those teams. Money talks.

CowboyBillWatts
11-19-2007, 11:05 AM
How about this scenario?

Part I: Tech beats OU
Kansas beats Iowa State

Part II: OSU beats OU
Texas beats a&m

Part III: Texas beats Missouri or Kansas in the Big XII Championship Game

Texas automatically earns BCS bid and Big XII Championship.

CowboyBillWatts the Prophet! Part I is complete! Get ready for Part II to come to reality this weekend! Don't doubt CowboyBillWatts!

JasperDog94
11-19-2007, 11:16 AM
CowboyBillWatts the Prophet! Part I is complete! Get ready for Part II to come to reality this weekend! Don't doubt CowboyBillWatts! I thought about you when I saw the score of the Tech/OU game.:clap: :clap: :clap:

mistanice
11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
CowboyBillWatts the Prophet! Part I is complete! Get ready for Part II to come to reality this weekend! Don't doubt CowboyBillWatts!

good call lol

DDBooger
11-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Demarco Murray will miss the Bedlam game for Oklahoma. if their qb has any cobwebs in his head from the concussion, UH OH!
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3118824

CowboyBillWatts
11-19-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm calling this now! TECH will beat OU in Lubbock this weekend. This will set up a fun Turkey week of "what ifs" for the UT-a&m and ou-OSU games!

TECH 38 ou 35

Mark it down!

Cowboy Bill Watts says it!

:cool:

JDOG
11-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Texas has ZERO quality wins & that hurts them. OOC schedule did not help them, & they didn't play Kansas or Mizzou this year. Lost to OU & K-State. Will take everything falling right. And Kansas and Missouri have quality wins over who?

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by JDOG
And Kansas and Missouri have quality wins over who?

True, schedules are suspect. But Mizzou did beat ranked Illinois team. Only loss is to OU. Mizzou beat Tech badly too (who beat OU). Kansas has beaten everyone on their schedule so far. Gotta give them credit for that. True tests come in next 2 weeks (play each other, then 1 of them plays for Big 12 Title).

Both did beat K-State. Texas cannot say that. Texas has ZERO quality wins, period.

Old Tiger
11-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Quality wins = nothing this year.

g$$
11-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Quality wins = nothing this year.

Just because it has been a crazy year in college football does not mean you can't have quality wins. That is nonsense.

So 11 top 5 teams have been beaten by unranked teams. Yes, that is true. But the entire body of work should show if you are a quality team or not. Look at LSU - slipped up at Kentucky but still going to probably play for NC. Body of work means more in long run & of course when you lose.

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Can't really argue for UT having quality wins bc they really dont however some of the teams ranked in front of them should not be like USC who lost to Stanford one of the worst D1 teams and dont really have a strong win over anyone. Texas should get some credit for being able to turn their season around after two straight losses instead of going completly in the toilet like some teams season have after a couple setbacks.

g$$
11-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Can't really argue for UT having quality wins bc they really dont however some of the teams ranked in front of them should not be like USC who lost to Stanford one of the worst D1 teams and dont really have a strong win over anyone. Texas should get some credit for being able to turn their season around after two straight losses instead of going completly in the toilet like some teams season have after a couple setbacks.

True, but yet to post a quality win.

eagles_victory
11-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$
True, but yet to post a quality win. i hope texas can sneak into the big 12 title game and get a chance to change that vs the ku mizzou winner

CowboyBillWatts
11-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Mizzoui is very good! Kansas is exceptional! KU will win by AT LEAST 2 Big Scores! Defense is the key! KU will score 37 and KU'S D will hold Mizzou to 21! Mark it down! Bet the HOUSE on the J'Hawks baby!

Horns will win by 10 over the poor aggies!
Texas 31 aggies 21

OSU will upset the mighty sooners with a late field goal. The traitor kicker from Austin who missed the kick for OS-who against the Horns will give UT some more love with a winning field goal against zero-u!

OSU 31 OU 30

Big Papa
11-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by g$$
True, schedules are suspect. But Mizzou did beat ranked Illinois team. Only loss is to OU. Mizzou beat Tech badly too (who beat OU). Kansas has beaten everyone on their schedule so far. Gotta give them credit for that. True tests come in next 2 weeks (play each other, then 1 of them plays for Big 12 Title).

Both did beat K-State. Texas cannot say that. Texas has ZERO quality wins, period.

so are you counting tech as a quality win for Missouri...or were you just throwing that out there as a game they won..