PDA

View Full Version : Got some news Aggies...

g$$
11-16-2007, 02:04 AM
I spoke with a guy I used to work with in the Texas A&M Athletic Department Thursday night. Of course lots of rumors are flying right now, but this is what I know as of now. Take it for what you will, but this guy is a dead-on straight shooter with insider knowledge. Thanks to him, I knew about Fran being hired in December 2002 before the media, & also the BCG fall-out last year. It's not what you know but instead who you know right!

See what you think & draw your own conclusions; remember this stuff is very fluid & dependent on many factors:

1. Fran is gone - we all know that - & will receive around $2 million to go away (not full $8.5 million buyout because he broke NCAA rules & his contract with the VIP Connection deal). A&M wants to avoid legal hassles & a bad perception so they will pay him something to leave right after the Texas game. Fran knows this & his reps have been involved in the talks.

2. Lowry Mays & Jerry Cox (2 very influential $$ alumni), among others, are involved in the search. They have Bill Byrne's ear. They also were instrumental in bringing Fran to Aggieland (used Cox's plane), so that is not all good IMO. Byrne did not hire Fran (about 1 week difference coming on board) but he did extend his contract after the 2nd year. Huge mistake obviously on that one.

3. Reps for Steve Spurrier & Butch Davis met with A&M officials this week. Both are very interested in the job. Both would create a much-needed buzz, but I worry about Spurrier's drive at age 62 (recruiting, etc.). Spurrier hates Mack Brown & has referred to him as "Mr. Football" going back to Mack's UNC days. Not a huge fan of Butch Davis as a HC personally.

4. Tommy Tuberville is & was the 1st choice, but A&M has cooled on him for now due to reported huge buyout of $6 million. Tuberville just has to say the word & it's his job if he wants it.

5. A&M is prepared to pay over $3 million per year for new football coach. Not sure of length of deal, but probably in 5-year range with incentives built in too.

6. Mike Sherman is still a possibility, but not on short list right now. That could change though. I have championed his cause for months now - good football coach & familiar with school & expectations from previous 2 stints as asst. coach under Slocum. Some at A&M worry that his outward image resembles Fran too much. That is nonsense because the man is a fine football coach who can recruit & scheme with anyone. He was one of our top recruiters previously during the good times.

7. New coach will be announced early December to move forward with recruiting & start over.

8. More than likely, interim coach from current staff will coach meaningless bowl game (meaningful to kids, not big picture). A&M may also decline a bowl & just move on. That is undecided right now.

9. SMU is hot & heavy for Fran to be their new coach. I think it's a good fit, seriously. He does better at smaller schools in lesser conferences per his track record (TCU, New Mexico, SWT, Pittsburg State). See ya Fran!

10. More to come if I have a good source. Expect changes very soon. Thank goodness.

IHStangFan
11-16-2007, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I spoke with a guy I used to work with in the Texas A&M Athletic Department Thursday night. Of course lots of rumors are flying right now, but this is what I know as of now. Take it for what you will, but this guy is a dead-on straight shooter with insider knowledge. Thanks to him, I knew about Fran being hired in December 2002 before the media, & also the BCG fall-out last year. It's not what you know but instead who you know right!

See what you think & draw your own conclusions; remember this stuff is very fluid & dependent on many factors:

1. Fran is gone - we all know that - & will receive around $2 million to go away (not full $8.5 million buyout because he broke NCAA rules & his contract with the VIP Connection deal). A&M wants to avoid legal hassles & a bad perception so they will pay him something to leave right after the Texas game. Fran knows this & his reps have been involved in the talks.

2. Lowry Mays & Jerry Cox (2 very influential $$ alumni), among others, are involved in the search. They have Bill Byrne's ear. They also were instrumental in bringing Fran to Aggieland (used Cox's plane), so that is not all good IMO. Byrne did not hire Fran (about 1 week difference coming on board) but he did extend his contract after the 2nd year. Huge mistake obviously on that one.

3. Reps for Steve Spurrier & Butch Davis met with A&M officials this week. Both are very interested in the job. Both would create a much-needed buzz, but I worry about Spurrier's drive at age 62 (recruiting, etc.). Spurrier hates Mack Brown & has referred to him as "Mr. Football" going back to Mack's UNC days. Not a huge fan of Butch Davis as a HC personally.

4. Tommy Tuberville is & was the 1st choice, but A&M has cooled on him for now due to reported huge buyout of $6 million. Tuberville just has to say the word & it's his job if he wants it.

5. A&M is prepared to pay over $3 million per year for new football coach. Not sure of length of deal, but probably in 5-year range with incentives built in too.

6. Mike Sherman is still a possibility, but not on short list right now. That could change though. I have championed his cause for months now - good football coach & familiar with school & expectations from previous 2 stints as asst. coach under Slocum. Some at A&M worry that his outward image resembles Fran too much. That is nonsense because the man is a fine football coach who can recruit & scheme with anyone. He was one of our top recruiters previously during the good times.

7. New coach will be announced early December to move forward with recruiting & start over.

8. More than likely, interim coach from current staff will coach meaningless bowl game (meaningful to kids, not big picture). A&M may also decline a bowl & just move on. That is undecided right now.

9. SMU is hot & heavy for Fran to be their new coach. I think it's a good fit, seriously. He does better at smaller schools in lesser conferences per his track record (TCU, New Mexico, SWT, Pittsburg State). See ya Fran!

10. More to come if I have a good source. Expect changes very soon. Thank goodness. Spurrier...interesting

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Spurrier...interesting

Yes it has been out there for a while, but this week's proceedings (if sources accurate) took it to another level. If he is motivated, hires a quality staff (esp. defensively), & is not using us as leverage, then I am all for it. The man can obviously coach when he has the resources. I think he is kinda bummed out at South Carolina, not sure if he can ever get onto a level playing field with the big boys in the SEC (like he had at Florida).

It will be an interesting couple of weeks. Byrne wants to make a splash with the Aggie faithful. Spurrier would do it - but so would some others too.

A name to watch out for: Brian Kelly at Cincinnati. He's a hot name right now for lots of jobs.

Spurrier, Tedford, Tuberville, Sherman, Davis, Rodriguez, Sumlin, Grobe, & Kelly are the most rumored names.

I would take Spurrier, Sherman, or Tuberville in a heartbeat. Rodriguez turned down Bama last year - he's staying IMO. Huge hire for Texas A&M upcoming. Gotta get this one right.

Tiger Turtle
11-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Spoke to a friend last night at church who is very connected in AD circles in the state owing to stints as assistant AD at several schools. He said he was told by someone inside the A&M athletic dept. that the SMU deal for Francine is real and should be finallized in a couple of weeks. As a Methodist, I don't want Fran messing up SMU but as long as he is out of CS, I can live with it.

nobogey72
11-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Spurrier...interesting

Spurrier will have to ditch the visor for me to be a fan. The visor drives me crazy.:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Daddy D 11
11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
IMO, Spurrier could be the savior of aggieland. a energetic, hardnosed coach is what that team needs. GIG EM BABY

i would much rather have spurrier than tuberville

Bull Butter
11-16-2007, 10:25 AM
The "Old Ball Coach" in College Station would definitely be interesting.

Macarthur
11-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I think Bill Byrne wants to make a big splash here.

I think Spurrier would be a great hire, but as you said, the big caveate would be what asstants he brings. I think his current DC, Nix, is very good. I know SC has fallen on some hard time defensively lately, but Nix can coach some defense.

KTJ
11-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Good for yall.

Spurriers name is also being linked to LSU, should Lester head on up to Big Blue.

themsu97
11-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Spurrier to Aggieland is would be huge for the state of Texas period... bring the two schools back to prominence like it should...
remember that Butch Davis helped rebuild Miami and could do the same here

Budman007
11-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Spurrier will have to ditch the visor for me to be a fan. The visor drives me crazy.:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Is Gary Kubiak not even a consideration? Is life in the pro's that much better than this job?

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Would be career suicide for Kubiak.

Spurrier doesn't seem like a good fit in CS.

Heard Lloyd Carr is expected to retire at the end of the season.

Macarthur
11-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
Spurrier to Aggieland is would be huge for the state of Texas period... bring the two schools back to prominence like it should...
remember that Butch Davis helped rebuild Miami and could do the same here

I don't think you could go wrong with Davis. My concern for him would be his willingness to stay for more than a couple of years.

Bulldog_12
11-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by g$$
A&M may also decline a bowl & just move on. That is undecided right now.

As far as I remember, Big 12 teams cant decline a bowl if offered.

g$$
11-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
Is Gary Kubiak not even a consideration? Is life in the pro's that much better than this job?

Kubiak has come out & said that he is loyal to the man who gave him a shot to be an NFL HC - Bob McNair - & has a job to do fixing that franchise. He said loyalty is part of being an Aggie. Kubiak is not leaving the Texans. Kubiak would have taken the A&M job years ago & even turned down Colorado. But that ship has sailed for now.

Kubiak did HIGHLY recommend Mike Sherman in that same press conference though.

g$$
11-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
As far as I remember, Big 12 teams cant decline a bowl if offered.

Relaying what I was told - more than likely interim deal from current staff. Not sure of Big 12 rule, but ND has done it before & declined. We'll see...

g$$
11-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Would be career suicide for Kubiak.

Spurrier doesn't seem like a good fit in CS.

Heard Lloyd Carr is expected to retire at the end of the season.

Les Miles to Michigan (his alma mater) is a definite possibility. Bo Pelini will get a HC job somewhere IMO.

Why No on Spurrier?
1. Loves $$ = check
2. Loves having resources & a chance to compete at highest level = check
3. From the South, starred at Florida, loves to play golf, & loves warm weather = all checks
4. Hates Mack Brown & wants to coach against Bob Stoops (his former DC) = checks
5. Not afraid of change (been around lately) = check

If motivated, I think it's a great fit. He could recruit & bring A&M back from the dead. Win-win deal.

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Les Miles to Michigan (his alma mater) is a definite possibility. Bo Pelini will get a HC job somewhere IMO.

Why No on Spurrier?
1. Loves $$ = check
3. From the South, starred at Florida, loves to play golf, & loves warm weather = all checks
4. Hates Mack Brown & wants to coach against Bob Stoops (his former DC) = checks

If motivated, I think it's a great fit. He could recruit & bring A&M back from the dead. Win-win deal. Just doesn't seem like a good fit for Aggieland. If you know what I mean.

Bulldog_12
11-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Relaying what I was told - more than likely interim deal from current staff. Not sure of Big 12 rule, but ND has done it before & declined. We'll see...

It's a Big 12 rule. Notre Dame is independent.

rancher
11-16-2007, 03:19 PM
From my sources who are also highly connected in the program they are tell me that Gene Stallings is more involved than Lowery May. I hear they are blaming the last hire on Lowery May and do not want to make the same mistake. Im hearing the name of the Bosie State Coach mentioned and Rich Rodriguez is interested if he can get a Sabin like deal.

g$$
11-16-2007, 03:21 PM
It's a Big 12 rule. Notre Dame is independent.

I certainly know ND is independent - in football. Like I posted, probably interim coach from current staff anyway.

g$$
11-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Just doesn't seem like a good fit for Aggieland. If you know what I mean.

Why?

g$$
11-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by rancher
From my sources who are also highly connected in the program they are tell me that Gene Stallings is more involved than Lowery May. I hear they are blaming the last hire on Lowery May and do not want to make the same mistake. Im hearing the name of the Bosie State Coach mentioned and Rich Rodriguez is interested if he can get a Sabin like deal.

I trust your sources too. Gene Stallings is involved, as are Jackie Sherrill & Slocum as consultants. Slocum wants Tuberville. Mays was heavily involved before, you are right along with Jerry Cox, so what you say has merit. It's Byrne's call in the end. Don Adams, another very $$ alum, is helping a little bit too.

Boise State's coach Peterson was mentioned early. Not the splash Byrne is looking for, but maybe. Great O, little D though.

I just don't see Rodriguez leaving his alma mater 1 year after turning down Bama. He may use us as leverage though for a new deal. His teams don't play much D either.

Bulldog_12
11-16-2007, 03:46 PM
By sources do you mean Rivals? Cuz all of that has been on that site for about 2-3 weeks.

g$$
11-16-2007, 03:50 PM
By sources do you mean Rivals? Cuz all of that has been on that site for about 2-3 weeks.

Absolutely not. I don't subscribe to Rivals or any other pay site. I occasionally read the M&W Report if a friend sends it to me.

Rancher has a link to the Board of Regents.

I talked directly to a guy at A&M in the Ath. Dept. where I used to work. I said take it for what you will, form your own opinions. I trust what he has told in the past & now too. Why the hate among Ags?

Bulldog_12
11-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Why the hate among Ags?

Mainly because I don't believe anybody that says I know a guy who knows a guy who's sister is a friend of, etc. etc.

I work at the 12th Man Foundation and I heard it's Guy Morriss.

g$$
11-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Mainly because I don't believe anybody that says I know a guy who knows a guy who's sister is a friend of, etc. etc.

I never said all of that above. I said I talked to one guy who has been a confidant in the past & still works there too.

OK buddy. I worked there for the 12th MF for 1 year & for 3.5 years in Football Ops. I am not a rumor spreader. I still have many friends there too whom I talk to frequently. I trust my sources & don't need to justify my background to you.

Believe what you want. Stupid to argue when all any of us wants is a quality new coach anyway. Watch & see what happens.

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Why? Just seems like the complete opposite of an Aggie.

g$$
11-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Just seems like the complete opposite of an Aggie.

Explain...stereotype much?

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Explain...stereotype much? Yes

Phil C
11-16-2007, 04:57 PM
The Boise coach might be a good one because we know he can coach but he won with another Coach's recruits. If he can recruit he would be a good pick.

westcoast54
11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I think Butch Davis would be a good hire and fit. He brought Miami back to prominence. He was stupid for ever leaving there.

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Yes

And that says a WHOLE lot about you too.

So if I were to say Horns are this & that, then that would exclude you because you never went there right? ;)

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And that says a WHOLE lot about you too.

So if I were to say Horns are this & that, then that would exclude you because you never went there right? ;) You truly are as senile as you seem.

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:10 PM
You truly are as senile as you seem.

Go MHB! yay yay

Maroon87
11-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Why No on Spurrier?
1. Loves $$ = check

If motivated, I think it's a great fit. He could recruit & bring A&M back from the dead. Win-win deal.

I'm gonna need a little more info on #4. How do we know he hates Mack Brown?:thinking:

GreenMonster
11-16-2007, 05:26 PM

Dude, if the Ags hire some clown that washed out at Baylor to be the new football coach then there are some serious problems with who is doing the hiring. I'd either like to see an up and comer from the college ranks (Briles, Peterson, etc) or an estblished winner (Davis, Rodriguez, Tuberville) take this job. I don't really care to see some NFL washout or college re-tread at A&M. I want someone that is tuned in to the recruiting circuit and knows how to win at this level.

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm gonna need a little more info on #4. How do we know he hates Mack Brown?:thinking:

Common knowledge, check it out. Spurrier refers to Mack Brown as "Mr. Football" going back to Mack's UNC days. Spurrier called him that in a press conference & it stuck. He has made other references too. And he wants to coach against Bob Stoops, his former DC.

Part of it is tongue in cheek, part of it is real. Remember FSU = free shoes university from Spurrier?

Spurrier has never been one to bite his tongue. It is all out there for all to see & hear. It is in my original post on this thread too.

Maroon87
11-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Common knowledge, check it out. Spurrier refers to Mack Brown as "Mr. Football" going back to Mack's UNC days. Spurrier called him that in a press conference & it stuck. He has made other references too. And he wants to coach against Bob Stoops, his former DC.

Part of it is tongue in cheek, part of it is real. Remember FSU = free shoes university from Spurrier?

Spurrier has never been one to bite his tongue. It is all out there for all to see & hear. It is in my original post on this thread too.

I figured it went back to their ACC days but I had never heard anything specific about it until now.