PDA

View Full Version : Longest running Heisman Poll says...

g$$
11-16-2007, 01:00 AM
**Scripps Howard News Service is the longest running weekly Heisman Poll in the country. This was compiled before Thursday's game involving Oregon vs. Arizona, in which Dennis Dixon reinjured his knee & did not return in the 1st quarter.

I still say Darren McFadden ends up in the top 2 with a strong finish, but I am starting to think Tim Tebow becomes the 1st soph ever to win it. His #s are just crazy (42 tds combined so far, rushing & passing). Dixon getting hurt changes everything & that was a sad deal. See what you think.**

Dixon again on top of Scripps Heisman poll

By
Scripps Howard News Service
2007-11-13 00:00:00

For the first time this season, the weekly Scripps Howard Heisman Trophy poll has the same leader for consecutive weeks. Oregon quarterback Dennis Dixon stayed on top, perhaps because the Ducks didn't play last weekend.

Dixon and his No. 2 Ducks travel to Arizona on Thursday night. With an amazing effort (a school-record five TD runs and two TD passes) in a win at South Carolina, Florida QB Tim Tebow remains a close second with Missouri QB Chase Daniel moving up one spot to third.

Compiled by The Rocky Mountain News in Denver, the Scripps Poll is in its 21st year and is the longest-running weekly Heisman poll in the country. The final poll, taken in December, correctly has predicted the Heisman winner 17 of the previous 20 seasons.

There are 10 voters, all college football writers and two from each voting region, who vote for five players each week. The tabulations are made on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis, with first place receiving five points, second four, etc. First-place votes are in parentheses.

This week's poll, with statistics from last week:

Name, Position, School, Last Week, Points

1. Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon, Did not play. 45, (6).

2. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida, 22-of-32, 304 yards passing, 2 TD passes, 120 rushing yards, 5 TD runs, 43 (4).

3. Chase Daniel, QB, Missouri, 27-of-35, 352 yards, 3 TD passes. 20

4. Pat White, QB, West Virginia, 16-of-25, 181 yards, 2 TD passes, 147 rushing yards, TD run. 19.

Others receiving votes: Darren McFadden (RB, Arkansas) 12; Todd Reesing (QB, Kansas) 5; Sam Bradford (QB, Oklahoma) 3; Jim Laurinaitis (LB, Ohio State) 2; Michael Crabtree (WR, Texas Tech) 1.

Voters: Wendell Barnhouse (Fort Worth Star-Telegram); Kirk Bohls (Austin American-Statesman); Dennis Dodd (CBSSports.com); Vahe Gregorian (St. Louis Post-Dispatch); Mike Griffith (Knoxville News-Sentinel); Randy Holtz (Rocky Mountain News); Michael Lewis (Salt Lake Tribune); Tom Luicci (The (Newark) Star-Ledger); Dana O'Neil (Philadelphia Daily News); and John Rohde (The Oklahoman).

(Compiled by the Rocky Mountain News at www.rockymountainnews.com.)

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Over next two weeks watch for Todd Reesing or Chase Daniel to get more talk.

big daddy russ
11-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Over next two weeks watch for Todd Reesing or Chase Daniel to get more talk.
I've only seen Reesing play against A&M, but was not impressed at all. That line and those receivers did ten times as much for the Jayhawks as Reesing.

g$$
11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
I still say it comes down to Tebow & McFadden. If McFadden finishes strong (Ole Miss & LSU), I think he wins it. Dixon will be invited to NYC but won't win it. McFadden finished 2nd last year & that does carry weight believe it or not. Name appeal to voters coast to coast.

McFadden is the best talent in the country IMO & will be a high NFL pick (top 5). It is supposed to be the best player in the country, not the best player on the best team. Tebow just might become the 1st soph to win it. I say they finish 1-2.

Old Tiger
11-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've only seen Reesing play against A&M, but was not impressed at all. That line and those receivers did ten times as much for the Jayhawks as Reesing. You know how the media will be if they can pull off those two wins at the end of the year.

g$$
11-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
You know how the media will be if they can pull off those two wins at the end of the year.

No chance for Reesing. He's had a great year, but not gonna happen. He's only a soph anyway right?