PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if the Astros are going after any Japanese FA's?

big daddy russ
11-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I know there are a couple of Japan's top pitchers (a reliever and a starter) on the market. Anyone know if the Astros have contacted them or if they would even be a good fit at MMP?

sahen
11-15-2007, 03:17 PM
if it works out anything like last years Japanese Free Agents only the Yankees and Red Sox will have money to sign thsoe players because they are the only ones that can afford to pay for the rights to talk to them plus a contract....

kepdawg
11-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by sahen
if it works out anything like last years Japanese Free Agents only the Yankees and Red Sox will have money to sign thsoe players because they are the only ones that can afford to pay for the rights to talk to them plus a contract....

Most of them don't have the "deals" the guys last year did so you don't have to pay to talk to them.

I know the Rangers have shown interest in Fukudome.

Darren
11-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by sahen

I'm not sure how all of that stuff works.

But it seems pretty dumb to me to pay tons of money just to talk to them.

Darren
11-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Most of them don't have the "deals" the guys last year did so you don't have to pay to talk to them.

So that explains some of it. Thanks Kep.

Adidas410s
11-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

Oh I would love to hear Tom Grieve say that after he has an 0 for 4 night at the plate...

g$$
11-15-2007, 04:17 PM
The Astros are upgrading their scouting dept. to include emphasis on the Pacific Rim. Ed Wade hired former player Glen Barker to run it. As for FAs now over there, I am not sure. Probably not.

Astros are pursuing current MLB FAs such as Kaz Matsui, Tadohito Iguchi, etc. so we'll see. Also Francisco Cordero, Luis Castillo, Jon Lieber, Tom Glavine, & others.

Astros need PITCHING!

Buff4Eternity
11-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by g$$
The Astros are upgrading their scouting dept. to include emphasis on the Pacific Rim. Ed Wade hired former player Glen Barker to run it. As for FAs now over there, I am not sure. Probably not.

Astros are pursuing current MLB FAs such as Kaz Matsui, Tadohito Iguchi, etc. so we'll see. Also Francisco Cordero, Luis Castillo, Jon Lieber, Tom Glavine, & others.

Astros need PITCHING!

Could stand to get some hitting as well.

crzyjournalist03
11-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I know there are a couple of Japan's top pitchers (a reliever and a starter) on the market. Anyone know if the Astros have contacted them or if they would even be a good fit at MMP?

Unfortunately Russ, the big target Japanese reliever just signed an extension in Japan after deciding he didn't want to move to America.

g$$
11-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Buff4Eternity
Could stand to get some hitting as well.

It all starts with pitching, period. Also upgrading speed & esp. defense. Astros were a poor defensive team last year. #s back me up.

Middle of the order with Berkman, Lee, & Pence is solid. Astros scored more runs last year than the WS year of 2005. But, pitching was horrible after Roy O. for the most part.

Add a few more pieces to line-up & that will be ok. But PITCHING is the key.

C Towles
1B Berkman
2B Burke or more likely Castillo/Matsui/Iguchi
SS Everett
3B Wigginton
LF Lee
CF Bourn
Rf Pence

Loretta & Lamb are FAs, but may be brought back as reserves. Esp. Loretta but I sure like Lamb as a hitter.

**Look for package of Burke, Scott, & minor leaguer for quality starting pitcher.

SP
Oswalt
?? (trade)
Backe
Patton
Nieve/Albers/Sampson

RP
Closer?? (maybe Cordero)
Qualls
Geary
Sarfate
?? bunch of openings, need a lefty or two as well

Old Tiger
11-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Astros management sucks. They should just remove this franchise from the league because they are so irrelevent.

g$$
11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Astros management sucks. They should just remove this franchise from the league because they are so irrelevent.

What? Went to WS in 2005, playoffs 6/10 years.

Drawn over 3 million past 2 years. Irrelevant?

Yes, former GM Purpura was a joke & now gone. Ed Wade is now in & doing a good job. Scouting dept. has been revamped. Changes are being made & FAs will be signed. Already made 1 trade too.

Why would you say something so stupid & not based in logic or knowledge? You do not know baseball as you have said yourself, so why go there? Come on Go Blue...

Old Tiger
11-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by g$$
What? Went to WS in 2005, playoffs 6/10 years.

Yes, former GM Purpura was a joke & now gone. Ed Wade is now in & doing a good job. Scouting dept. has been revamped. Changes are being made & FAs will be signed. Already made 1 trade too.

Why would you say something so stupid & not based in logic or knowledge? You do not know baseball as you have said yourself, so why go there? Come on Go Blue... Swept?

Texas Team Rankings:
Dallas Cowboys
San Antonio Spurs
Texas Longhorns
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
Texas A&M
Houston Astros
Texas Rangers

The two baseball teams in Texas are both irrelevent and should be combined to spare each of the embarassment. Then they would have a franchise worth talking about.

Darren
11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm a Stros fan.

So I would like to see them deep in the playoffs again. Did Bagwells salary drop off this year?

Seems that the Astros have just been one key move out of making it big. The problem for the Astros is they let all of their young talent slip through their fingers. Lets hope they hold on to Pence (he is still around isn't he).

g$$
11-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Swept?

Texas Team Rankings:
Dallas Cowboys
San Antonio Spurs
Texas Longhorns
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
Texas A&M
Houston Astros
Texas Rangers

The two baseball teams in Texas are both irrelevent and should be combined to spare each of the embarassment. Then they would have a franchise worth talking about.

Your lack of baseball knowledge rears its head again. Irrelevant would be KC Royals, Pitt Pirates, TB Rays, etc.

Swept? Yes, but they made it. Only 2 teams per year make it buddy. Astros are a solid franchise. If you don't know that, then I can't help you. Playoffs & attendance #s back me up.

Yes, Bagwell's salary comes off the books this year. Gotta draft & develop much better & I think we will now under the new regime. Huge offseason & must upgrade the roster & esp. pitching. Pence will be a fixture for years to come in the OF.

Adidas410s
11-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Swept?

Texas Team Rankings:
Dallas Cowboys
San Antonio Spurs
Texas Longhorns
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
Texas A&M
Houston Astros
Texas Rangers

haha...Longhorns ahead of Mavericks and Rockets...that's funny...

g$$
11-15-2007, 05:11 PM

Texas Team Rankings:
Dallas Cowboys
San Antonio Spurs
Texas Longhorns
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
Texas A&M
Houston Astros
Texas Rangers

Rockets have 2 titles, Dallas has zero. Granted the Rockets won in 1994 & 1995, but Dallas still has zero. Rockets have had multiple HOFs too (Olajuwon, Murphy, Hayes, Drexler).

Dallas has the upper hand right now, but overall, NO.

Old Tiger
11-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Rockets have 2 titles, Dallas has zero. Granted the Rockets won in 1994 & 1995, but Dallas still has zero. Rockets have had multiple HOFs too (Olajuwon, Murphy, Hayes, Drexler).

Dallas has the upper hand right now, but overall, NO. I'm going by right now. I agree with you on the Rockets if it were overall ;)