PDA

View Full Version : Speed to burn

footballgal
11-15-2007, 02:36 PM
SPEED TO BURN
Nuñez looks to lead Tarpons to bi-district win
BY JARRET JOHNSON, The Brownsville Herald

Nov 14, 2007 10:56 pm
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1195102982-pi3.jpg http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/mebueno/nolan.jpg
Port Isabel running back Nolan Nunez has rushed for 1604 yards and 19 TDs in 2007 and looks for more against Raymondville in the first round of the playoffs on Friday night.
Lynn, Hermosa, The Valley Morning Star

There’s an old adage that football coaches like to toss around that says, “You can’t teach speed.”

Port Isabel running back Nolan Nuñez is a prime example of the saying. The senior burner runs a 4.4 40-yard dash and a 10.6 100-meter sprint. Even with success out of the blocks, sometimes track speed just doesn’t translate onto the football field. That’s not a problem for Nuñez who has torched opponents for a District 32-3A leading 1,604 yards and 19 touchdowns in only nine games.

“He’s had a phenomenal year. Every coach in our district has told me after the game that he’s the real deal and a great football player,” Stumbaugh said. “He’s been fantastic. His numbers kind of boggle my mind.”

Nuñez averaged 174 yards and two rushing TDs a game in the regular season and had his way with every team the Tarpons have played. Even in their most recent loss against rival Rio Hondo on Nov. 2 he tore up the leading statistical defense in the Rio Grande Valley for 222 yards and a TD (also had a 90-yard punt return TD that was called back).

Figure in that the Bobcats had only allowed 458 rushing yards in eight games before Nuñez racked up the 222 and you start to understand how impressive his performance was.

“One thousand six hundred yards in one season is the most by a running back that I’ve had here,” Stumbaugh said. “So for what he’s done has been phenomenal. I expected him to be a 1,000 yard back but his (output) has been a pleasant surprise.”

The senior ran summer track as well as sprint drills and lifted weights three times a week. His hard work along with God-given speed and vision has turned him into a dominant force in the Tarpons back-field. Nuñez always knew he wanted to be a running back though and was willing to pay the price to make it a reality.

“Watching my brother play for PI was when I first wanted to play football. He always told me about playing on Friday nights,” Nuñez said. “Then I grew up watching Johnny Nitro (Nieto) and the Missle (Misael Iracheta) and knew I just wanted to be a running back.”

Not the most outspoken player, Stumbaugh was pleased to see the star RB take time to congratulate his fellow teammates throughout the season and become a better blocker in his senior campaign.

“His attitude changed; he’s running harder and blocking better,” Stumbaugh said. “He’s become what I call a complete back. He’s done a good job leading too. He’s not a me guy, he’s a we guy.”

Nuñez will have an opportunity to add to his impressive stat-line and, more importantly, win his fourth bi-district championship in a rematch with Raymondville in the first round of the playoffs. Both Port Isabel and Nuñez will look to duplicate a 37-13 win on Sept. 2 in which he racked up 184 yards and two TDs.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/nuñez_1006___article.xml/yards_running.html