PDA

View Full Version : BCS question

wildstangs
11-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Is it possible to have two teams from the same conference play each other in a bowl game? One of the writers for ESPN has Kansas VS. Oklahoma in a BCS game.

Emerson1
11-14-2007, 06:20 PM
It's possible. If both teams are heads and shoulders above the rest and maybe they are 1-1 on the season after a conference championship. And there are no undefeated teams. I don't see Kansas vs. OU happening because if Kansas loses to OU they will drop in the polls, and if OU loses the big 12 championship they have 2 losses.

g$$
11-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Possible I believe, but not likely.

giddingsblazer2
11-14-2007, 06:57 PM
no way........if oklahoma wins kansas is out......if kansas wins oklahoma out........(big 12 championship)

eagles_victory
11-14-2007, 06:58 PM
its possible for example had texas not lost to k state this year. Texas could eaisly have played OU in the ship had OU only had one loss.

JT44
11-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by giddingsblazer2
no way........if oklahoma wins kansas is out......if kansas wins oklahoma out........(big 12 championship)

beat me to it

g$$
11-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
its possible for example had texas not lost to k state this year. Texas could eaisly have played OU in the ship had OU only had one loss.

HUH?

How could Texas have played OU for the Big 12 Title if they both play in the South? North vs. South winners.

Texas has 2 losses, OU has one. And OU has head to head tiebreaker over Texas.

Are you referring to NC? Texas was not in the hunt & OU played in Fiesta Bowl & lost to Boise State last year. OU still has a chance this year at NC if lots of stuff happens. Texas has zero chance, but could end up in a BCS Bowl.

??

big daddy russ
11-14-2007, 07:03 PM
If a team lost an early-season conference game, but won the rest of the way, they could be in the BCS hunt, but not in the hunt for the conference championship.

I don't think there's any way, though that OU and KU meet up this year.

Example:

Let's say that in some random season, Mizzou lost an early-season game to Nebraska. Nebraska lost two non-conference games and a conference game to another team, but still gets the North spot in the Big XII Championship because of the head-to-head.

Mizzou winds up plowing four other top-25 teams through the rest of the year, finishing the regular season with a statement win over a top-five team. They'd be right around the top in the BCS standings.

Let's say, on the flipside, OU goes undefeated, but never plays Mizzou in the regular season. OU beats Nebraska and finishes the year as the only unbeaten in the country. If Mizzou's loss was the oldest one among the one-loss teams and they had a number of impressive wins, they could easily meet up with OU in the BCS NC.

kepdawg
11-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by g$$
HUH?

How could Texas have played OU for the Big 12 Title if they both play in the South? North vs. South winners.

Are you referring to NC? Texas was not in the hunt & OU played in Fiesta Bowl & lost to Boise State last year. OU still has a chance this year at NC if lots of stuff happens. Texas has zero chance, but could end up in a BCS Bowl.

??

Who's talking about last year? What does Boise have to do with anything?

eagles_victory
11-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
HUH?

Texas has 2 losses, OU has one. And OU has head to head tiebreaker over Texas.

?? what on Earth are you talking about lol

g$$
11-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Who's talking about last year? What does Boise have to do with anything?

Just trying to figure out what in the heck he is talking about. It made no sense to me, this year or last year...

Explain please.

eagles_victory
11-14-2007, 07:08 PM
I was saying THIS SEASON. Had the University of Texas beaten Kansas State University and only lost to the Univeristy of Oklahoma by 7 as they did Texas would have one loss this season. Ou has 1 loss this season. Texas would be around 6 or 7 in the BCS. They move ahead of the Mizzou Kansas winner. LSU stumbles and Oregon wins out but pisses down their leg and plays some close games. OU beats Kansas and Kansas is out. OU would be in and Texas could possibly with their one loss being to the number 1 team jump over Oregon or even if Oregon lost in the Civil War then UT would probably for sure be in

kepdawg
Originally posted by g$$
Just trying to figure out what in the heck he is talking about. It made no sense to me, this year or last year...

Explain please.

Uh, okay.

I believe what whoever was talking about it quite simple (not necessarily correct though).

If Texas had not lost to KState there would be the outside shot that Texas could be high enough in the BCS to play OU for the BCS title. OU would be the Big 12 champs and Texas would have 1 loss, that being to OU.

g$$

?? What championship?

eagles_victory
11-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Explain please. how did you get last year out of that did i ever say last year?

g$$
11-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Uh, okay.

I believe what whoever was talking about it quite simple (not necessarily correct though).

If Texas had not lost to KState there would be the outside shot that Texas could be high enough in the BCS to play OU for the BCS title. OU would be the Big 12 champs and Texas would have 1 loss, that being to OU.

And for that to happen, EVERYBODY else would have to lose, & how often do teams play each other twice anyway in a BCS Bowl?

I remember Florida & Florida St. doing it, but that was before BCS anyway. All polls then.

That scenario is HIGHLY unlikely any year.

kepdawg
11-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And for that to happen, EVERYBODY else would have to lose, & how often do teams play each other twice anyway in a BCS Bowl?

I remember Florida & Florida St. doing it, but that was before BCS anyway. All polls then.

That scenario is HIGHLY unlikely any year.

And?

g$$
11-14-2007, 07:13 PM
how did you get last year out of that did i ever say last year?

What you said made no sense ANY year. I was trying to make sense of it. 2 teams from the same conference division (like Big 12 South) aren't playing in the NC unless EVERYBODY else loses. And I mean EVERYBODY.

eagles_victory
11-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$

That scenario is HIGHLY unlikely any year. It wouldnt be that unlikely this year if Texas had beaten Kansas St. All that would have to happen was LSU lose and Oregon lose or even struggle and not look impressive in their last few games.

g$$
11-14-2007, 07:14 PM
And?

And that is common sense. We agree I guess.

g$$
11-14-2007, 07:18 PM
It wouldnt be that unlikely this year if Texas had beaten Kansas St. All that would have to happen was LSU lose and Oregon lose or even struggle and not look impressive in their last few games.

Everybody in front of them in the BCS ratings would have to lose. West Va, Kansas, etc. Not likely to jump that far any year.

Moot point, Kansas State won by 20 pts.

eagles_victory
11-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Everybody in front of them in the BCS ratings would have to lose. West Va, Kansas, etc. Not likely to jump that far any year.

Moot point, Kansas State won by 20 pts. i guess you dont understand hypothetical if OU is in the one game with one loss then they obviously would have beaten KU in the Big 12 title game. Who are the pollsters going to put first a one loss Texas team to the number 1 team by 7 at a netural site or a WVU team whos loss is to USF by 8

Mace Griffin
11-14-2007, 08:12 PM
i guess you dont understand hypothetical if OU is in the one game with one loss then they obviously would have beaten KU in the Big 12 title game. Who are the pollsters going to put first a one loss Texas team to the number 1 team by 7 at a netural site or a WVU team whos loss is to USF by 8 i get what your saying and you make a valid point

District303aPastPlayer
11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
i guess you dont understand hypothetical if OU is in the one game with one loss then they obviously would have beaten KU in the Big 12 title game. Who are the pollsters going to put first a one loss Texas team to the number 1 team by 7 at a netural site or a WVU team whos loss is to USF by 8

trust me, just let it go... =\

Big Papa
11-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
trust me, just let it go... =\

ROFL ...so true so true

buff4life
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
i guess you dont understand hypothetical if OU is in the one game with one loss then they obviously would have beaten KU in the Big 12 title game. Who are the pollsters going to put first a one loss Texas team to the number 1 team by 7 at a netural site or a WVU team whos loss is to USF by 8

I completely agree with you about the whole thing...its completely plausible for that to happen had Texas beat KState...

eagles_victory
11-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
trust me, just let it go... =\ im not going to let it go when i make a valid point and the guy just rejects it like it is complete nonsense and could never happen. His argument against it is the only thing that is complete nonsense. And of course its a moot point bc K State beat Texas, however the question was IS it POSSIBLE for two teams from the same conference to play in the nc game and yes it is