PDA

View Full Version : Crstal City? What's the scoop?

Pudlugger
09-14-2002, 08:08 PM
I understand they are an improving team with several starters back from a 5-5 team. They missed the play-offs last year due to losing the coin toss with two others tied for second place, which would have been the first appearance post district for many years. La Grange plays them in the AlamoDome Saturday. I bet they are looking forward to a chance to showcase their program in this great venue.
La Grange is coming off a big win over Sealy and should feel good about that. Crystal City scouts will no doubt want to stack the down line with 6 guys like Sealy, but they might get burned on the quick inside pass or screen pass if they do. It is always best for a team like Crystal City to be playing up on the ladder when they have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I expect La Grange will be concentrating on making the necessary adjustments to continue the trend towards improvement. Good luck Leps!

[This message has been edited by Pudlugger (edited September 19, 2002).]

Pudlugger
09-15-2002, 10:35 AM
My bad, I meant Crystal City.

Anyone know anything about this team? Where are all the RGV posters?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-15-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger:
My bad, I meant Crystal City.

Anyone know anything about this team? Where are all the RGV posters?

Crystal City isn't in the RGV, it's considered more towards the Laredo/Eagle Pass area.

Lou
09-16-2002, 09:25 AM
they are not an overly talented football team, at least they weren't last year.

Pudlugger
09-16-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Lou:
they are not an overly talented football team, at least they weren't last year.

Do you know anything about them such as what type of offense do they employ? Do they pass or run mostly? Any standouts on defense or offense? Who on their team should La Grange watch out for? Is it true they have only played one game winning against Poteet last week?

CS_WILDCATS
09-16-2002, 11:38 AM
Crystal City is an up and coming program. This is a team that has always had good athletes but no team concept. Under coach Sean Lorance the teams attitude has changed. This is a team that believes it can win. There basic offense is a wing - t and defense is a 50. They are a running team with some good size up front. Expect a strong following of fans.

Pudlugger
09-16-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by CS_WILDCATS:
Crystal City is an up and coming program. This is a team that has always had good athletes but no team concept. Under coach Sean Lorance the teams attitude has changed. This is a team that believes it can win. There basic offense is a wing - t and defense is a 50. They are a running team with some good size up front. Expect a strong following of fans.

Great, thanks for the info. The Alamodome is a great venue and the more fans the better. Last year La Grange played 4 games in the 'Dome and it got pretty loud at times. The Leopards like to run also, so it may be a classic run straight 'atcha type game. They just had one of those against Sealy and it was exciting, although low scoring (14-9 La Grange).

footballgal
09-16-2002, 01:22 PM

By your screen name I know your from Carrizo Springs, Carrizo Springs Wildcats.

Have you heard the shocker so far in your district? My Alma Matter Cotulla, the Cowboys are 2-1!?! I will have to go home and watch one this year, and I will have to say the Pearsall matchup this year might be the year, we beat our old rival in ages, so will see.

Pudlugger
09-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by footballgal:
By your screen name I know your from Carrizo Springs, Carrizo Springs Wildcats.

Have you heard the shocker so far in your district? My Alma Matter Cotulla, the Cowboys are 2-1!?! I will have to go home and watch one this year, and I will have to say the Pearsall matchup this year might be the year, we beat our old rival in ages, so will see.

Yeah, I saw that too. How bout them Cowboys!!!

footballgal
09-16-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger:
Yeah, I saw that too. How bout them Cowboys!!!

No way, Pudlugger!!!, you actually know where/who Cotulla is or is it because you see them every year at bottom of the barrel in Texas on the 3A poll next to Presidio???

Yeah, how about them Cowboys, heard they have a new coach that came from SA. The Cowboys like Crystal City have good athletes all dist. selections all the time, but have a big churn in football Coaches. I think that's the main problem, that and until recent years they had no Jr High football program and much less pee wee football, which they do now. When I was in Jr. High we didn't have Jr. High programs in any sports, so being the top 3A in vollyball my senior year was a big accomplishment.

but yeah! How 'bout them Cowboys!!!

footballgal
09-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Pudlugger looks like you have nothing to worry about this is what collier-sharp is predicting;

Crystal City vs La Grange (47)

eye of the tiger
09-16-2002, 07:30 PM
I think Crystal City is in for a tough game. The Leopards are tough.

Pudlugger
09-16-2002, 07:57 PM
When I was a graduate student at UCLA in 1970 my best friend did a 2 year tour of duty at Cotulla in the old VISTA program. He shared many great stories of that wonderful little town and its people with me (usually over a few Coronas or Tecates). It sort of reminds me of the movie Milagra Bean Field or whatever it was. Anyway, I have noticed how they were always ranked dead last in 3A until this year, 2-1 Wow !!!! Go Cowboys!

[This message has been edited by Pudlugger (edited September 16, 2002).]

CS_WILDCATS
09-17-2002, 04:51 PM
Cotulla has a new coach named Marcus Booker. He is a former Judson Rocket stanout. They actually had a cover story on him and the Cotulla program in the S.A. express news. He recieved high praise from his former coach D.W. Rutleged. Looks like he might be the one to turn that program around.

footballgal
09-17-2002, 04:59 PM
Cotulla has a new coach named Marcus Booker. He is a former Judson Rocket stanout. They actually had a cover story on him and the Cotulla program in the S.A. express news. He recieved high praise from his former coach D.W. Rutleged. Looks like he might be the one to turn that program around.

Thanks for the information CS_Wildcat; I will try the internet achives see if I can find the story! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-17-2002, 05:04 PM
CS_Wildcat.......I'm guessing you are a Carrizo Springs alumni. Whatever happened to Lee Vallejo? He was the QB the last time Port Isabel played Carrizo Springs in the playoffs back in 1994. Have just been wondering, that's all.

CS_WILDCATS
09-18-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas:
CS_Wildcat.......I'm guessing you are a Carrizo Springs alumni. Whatever happened to Lee Vallejo? He was the QB the last time Port Isabel played Carrizo Springs in the playoffs back in 1994. Have just been wondering, that's all.

As far as I know Lee's parents own a restraunt in the Carrizo Spings area I believe he helps the family run it. On a side note the Wildcats have a quarterback this year that is a lot like Lee. His name is Luis Martinez a 6'1" jr. He's got a good arm but this team is still a year away from really doing anything in the playoffs.

footballgal
09-19-2002, 03:09 PM
I FOUND THE STORY!!!... I had a tear http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/frown.gif in my eye, for my Alma Matter.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hsfootball/2002/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=570&xlc=799527

I have already made plans for Oct. 18th, Cotulla Cowboys vs Pearsall Mavericks, old, old rival hopfully this is the year!

footballgal
09-21-2002, 10:54 AM
I have to repeat;
How 'bout them Cowboys!

The Cowboys won last night, in OT against Bracketville, don't know how good/bad Bracket is suppose to be this year but in the bast it didn't matter they would still loose. The Cowboys are now 3-1 Wow! tear...
Congrats and props go out to the new Coach, that's all they needed was a good coach!

CS_WILDCATS
09-21-2002, 05:17 PM
I went to see the Crystal La Grange game. Both defenses played great. I was surprised to see Crystal hold there own in the first half. I even thought there could be an upset in the making. La Grange has awesome speed but no size. Crystal came out real flat in the second half and it cost them a shot at winning the game. I think La Grange stayed fresh by platooning offense and defense. Crystal players played both ways and it showed towards the end.