PDA

View Full Version : Stars fire GM Doug Armstrong

kepdawg
11-13-2007, 01:43 PM
And paint is drying on the wall somewhere

crzyjournalist03
11-13-2007, 02:07 PM
wow...this is a big move for the Stars...finding a good replacement will be key to the future of the franchise!!!

Macarthur
11-13-2007, 02:14 PM
A bit surprising, but the Stars suck. Something needed to change. Armstrong is a quality guy. Unfortunate part of the business.

crzyjournalist03
11-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
A bit surprising, but the Stars suck. Something needed to change. Armstrong is a quality guy. Unfortunate part of the business.

Suck is a harsh word...they're one win out of first in their division right now, and right in the middle of the pack in the entire league.

But something clearly hasn't been right this year, and hopefully this is a step toward fixing it.

Txbroadcaster
11-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Armstrong would not change the Stars style of play even though the rule changes hurt the Stars style of trapping d, he is living in the past thinking Dallas can still win a cup with ONLY great D and great goaltending

Macarthur
11-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Suck is a harsh word...they're one win out of first in their division right now, and right in the middle of the pack in the entire league.

But something clearly hasn't been right this year, and hopefully this is a step toward fixing it.

Suck might be harsh today, but compared to what they were early in the decade, suck is pretty acurate.

His problem is that he basically hitched his fortunes to Turco. He paid him a huge contract and Turco has failed in the playoffs, although he was pretty good last year.

crzyjournalist03
11-13-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't think Turco's the problem as much as Armstrong's unwillingness to adapt to the new NHL rules. He kept bringing in big grinders and enforcers when the rules are more beneficial to a small, fast forward. Chris Conner has come up and made an impact the last few games, but beyond that, the team is pretty slow.

Macarthur
11-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I don't think Turco's the problem as much as Armstrong's unwillingness to adapt to the new NHL rules. He kept bringing in big grinders and enforcers when the rules are more beneficial to a small, fast forward. Chris Conner has come up and made an impact the last few games, but beyond that, the team is pretty slow.

I don't disagree with that. However, I think we both would agree that when it comes playoff time, it's about whose in goal.

crzyjournalist03
11-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I don't disagree with that. However, I think we both would agree that when it comes playoff time, it's about whose in goal.

usually...but when your goalie gives you 3 shutouts in a best of seven series and has the lowest GAA of the playoffs and you still don't survive the first round, your problems aren't in the net.

I'll give you that Turco was very average the last two years in the playoffs, but he's been a stellar regular season goalie and proved last year that he can get it done in the playoffs...get this team a scorer or two, and we're talking about a serious run.

kepdawg
11-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Brett Hull and Les Jackson have been named interim co-GMs.

Who's Les Jackson?