PDA

View Full Version : The Big 12 has fined Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach

Txbroadcaster
11-13-2007, 12:52 PM
$10,000 for his criticism of officals

Per DMN

STANG RED
11-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Coulda been worse. Better just pay his fine and shut his mouth.

kaorder1999
11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
wow....sucks to give away money like that!

ronwx5x
11-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Per DMN
First Amendment? Get a lawyer!

Txbroadcaster
11-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x

lol does not work that way..he has a code of conduct he has to follow

ronwx5x
11-13-2007, 01:40 PM
lol does not work that way..he has a code of conduct he has to follow

First Amendment? Get a lawyer! Everyone does.

Adidas410s
11-13-2007, 02:15 PM
let's see...he makes roughly $2 mil/season over the life of his contract. He is guaranteed 12 games (he'll get a bonus depending on the bowl game he goes to) so he makes $167k per game. So...a $10,000 fine is roughly 6% of what he earns per game. Consider that there were roughly 10 plays that Leach was questioning...and the fine is about right. He questioned 10 of 147 plays ~ 6.8%. He was fined 6%. Seems fair enough and in line with previous fines given to coaches (ie Mangino in 2005).

CenTexSports
11-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Not nearly harsh enough. He should be made to officiate 20 pee wee games for free and donate $50,000 to TASO for training of new officials.

Adidas410s
11-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Not nearly harsh enough. He should be made to officiate 20 pee wee games for free and donate $50,000 to TASO for training of new officials.

You should actually see/hear all of what Leach said before ripping him. He was very complimentary of the work that the Big 12 officials as a whole have done. He spoke very highly of the job that Walt Anderson, Big 12 Coordinator of Officials, has done in improving the training and quality of work that the officials in the conference are doing. Leach repeatedly referred to Walt by name and complimented him on the job that he is doing during the press conference.

raider red 2000
11-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x

leach is a lawyer. went to peperdine (i think that school) law school.

JR2004
11-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Leach got some bang for his buck. Would've liked to have heard him go further, but oh well. Don't agree with the entire rant, but Bobby Knight does seem to be rubbing off on him a bit when it comes to his ability to rant!

CenTexSports
11-13-2007, 09:45 PM
It doesn't matter what else he said. His comments were out of line and unacceptable. He has every right to send in his evaluation and opinions on the game officials and their performance. This includes sending in film of the issues he has and his opinion on the assignment process (relating to an Austin area official calling the game). I am not even sure that I am against him talking about the blown calls as he sees it. BUT he should NEVER have the right to question the integrity of the officials or the assigning organization. These men are professionals and do this because they love the game and officiating. They get paid pretty well but they give up a lot of their own time to get ready to be the best they can be every game.

I called a couple of big 4a games in the last couple of weeks and not only did the coaches have grading cards given to them, there was an independent person assigned to rate the crew. We get feedback both positive and constructive. This is the way to voice concerns and to let the chapter know of crew and individual problems. The same goes for the college games.

Maroon87
11-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Memo to Leach:

Play some defense once in a while. Maybe then you won't have to depend on the zebras.

VAMike
11-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Not sure he can be called a "lawyer" He did graduate from law school apparently but never worked as a lwayer and I wonder if he even ever took a bar exam.

lakers
11-13-2007, 10:27 PM
the refs were extermely biast. i was at the game and they brought back 2 tech touchdowns. one because they claimed the receiver didnt have control of the ball and the other on a bogus holding call... i was so pissed at the refs.

i wish they would come to lbk and they would catch a piece of stands in the head:mad: :mad:

it wouldnt be the first time that the stands got torn up and thrown at the enemies.;)

Txbroadcaster
11-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by lakers
the refs were extermely biast. i was at the game and they brought back 2 tech touchdowns. one because they claimed the receiver didnt have control of the ball and the other on a bogus holding call... i was so pissed at the refs.

i wish they would come to lbk and they would catch a piece of stands in the head:mad: :mad:

it wouldnt be the first time that the stands got torn up and thrown at the enemies.;)

please tell me ur joking about the two calls,,they were both OBVIOUS

lakers
11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
please tell me ur joking about the two calls,,they were both OBVIOUS

nope i still get pissed when it is brought up. u must be a UT fan then...:mad:

Txbroadcaster
11-13-2007, 10:51 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/immortal13_2007/brittondrop.jpg

Txbroadcaster
11-13-2007, 10:53 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/immortal13_2007/vasquezhold.jpg

lakers
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/immortal13_2007/vasquezhold.jpg

that is not a holding, he is just trying to give him a kiss on the neck. lol

Still bogus. AND U CANT PERSUADE ME!!! lol

Txbroadcaster
11-13-2007, 10:56 PM
that is not a holding, he is just trying to give him a kiss on the neck. lol

Still bogus. AND U CANT PERSUADE ME!!! lol

hahaha greatness

lakers
11-13-2007, 10:58 PM
hahaha greatness

DAMN RIGHT!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

raider red 2000
11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
Not sure he can be called a "lawyer" He did graduate from law school apparently but never worked as a lwayer and I wonder if he even ever took a bar exam.

sorry i bet he would be abetter lawyer than some people that claim to have gone to ref school :)

i think that most refs do a good job....i think that the higher the level of competition the better the refs....some do make mistakes...but i doubt that any of them blow calls on purpose.

it happens....refs keep up the good work.

and yes tech should learn to play some D sometime

lakers
11-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
sorry i bet he would be abetter lawyer than some people that claim to have gone to ref school :)

i think that most refs do a good job....i think that the higher the level of competition the better the refs....some do make mistakes...but i doubt that any of them blow calls on purpose.

it happens....refs keep up the good work.

and yes tech should learn to play some D sometime

UR being to modest. the refs flat out SUCKED!!!!

raider red 2000
11-13-2007, 11:21 PM

i saw worse ones last friday night...but i wont mention that.

we like tech could have gotton every call and both would have still walked away with losses.

thats life.

lakers
11-13-2007, 11:22 PM

we like tech could have gotton every call and both would have still walked away with losses.

thats life.

puh, not a very enjoyable one...:hand:

whtfbplaya
11-13-2007, 11:38 PM

thats life.

Dont forget you picked them:D

Greenwood Teach
11-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Leach did follow the proper protocol last year. He wrote letters to the higher ups. He finally did get an apology. He even said so in his press conference after the game. It didn't do a bit of good though. The one that really bothered me was the holding call. Why then? This occurs all the time and if you look at the ref he is looking right towards Harrel when he gets hit after the ball is thrown, helmet to helmet. And the ref couldn't see his way to call that one. Go Leach! I hope that they take up a collection to pay his fine.

Txbroadcaster
11-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Greenwood Teach
Leach did follow the proper protocol last year. He wrote letters to the higher ups. He finally did get an apology. He even said so in his press conference after the game. It didn't do a bit of good though. The one that really bothered me was the holding call. Why then? This occurs all the time and if you look at the ref he is looking right towards Harrel when he gets hit after the ball is thrown, helmet to helmet. And the ref couldn't see his way to call that one. Go Leach! I hope that they take up a collection to pay his fine.

What do you mean why then on the holding call? He horse collard the defender and threw him to the ground, that is why then..The late hit part, I never really saw it because they never focused on it so i cant say one way or another

But for Leach to gripe when Texas had more penalties and more penalty yards is intersting..and the fact the reversal of the TD catch for Tech was very easy to see that he dropped it

I like Leach and think he is good for the Big 12, he is quirky and has a fun offense..BUT he blames others after losses and it is rubbing off on his team. Graham Harrell acted like a horse's ass in the game and then runs off the field and wont shake anyone's hand..their is a fine line between being a fiery competitor and being someone who cant accept a bad day

And i never saw where the Big 12 apologized for last year's game, and to be honest i dont remember any oh my god miscalled, I know Tech fans argue the one spot

Simple fact is Leach did not complain when Tech got the benefit of a bad call to beat OU with a Lubbock resident on that officating crew, yet now claims that was the reason the officals were so supposedly so bad sunday? Does not matter to him I guess that the "Austin" Resident is an SMU alum and has no ties to UT

Darren
11-14-2007, 08:26 AM

Per DMN

Good.

3afan
11-14-2007, 08:33 AM

obviously a biased view .... most of the media after the game seemed to agree that they got those 2-3 controversial calls right

lakers
11-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
obviously a biased view .... most of the media after the game seemed to agree that they got those 2-3 controversial calls right

i am not listening, I am not listening...:hand: :hand:

Old Tiger
11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
nm

Old Tiger
11-14-2007, 11:36 AM
tech still sucks

JDOG
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
What do you mean why then on the holding call? He horse collard the defender and threw him to the ground, that is why then..The late hit part, I never really saw it because they never focused on it so i cant say one way or another

But for Leach to gripe when Texas had more penalties and more penalty yards is intersting..and the fact the reversal of the TD catch for Tech was very easy to see that he dropped it

I like Leach and think he is good for the Big 12, he is quirky and has a fun offense..BUT he blames others after losses and it is rubbing off on his team. Graham Harrell acted like a horse's ass in the game and then runs off the field and wont shake anyone's hand..their is a fine line between being a fiery competitor and being someone who cant accept a bad day

And i never saw where the Big 12 apologized for last year's game, and to be honest i dont remember any oh my god miscalled, I know Tech fans argue the one spot

Simple fact is Leach did not complain when Tech got the benefit of a bad call to beat OU with a Lubbock resident on that officating crew, yet now claims that was the reason the officals were so supposedly so bad sunday? Does not matter to him I guess that the "Austin" Resident is an SMU alum and has no ties to UT Very good posts with pictures to boot. Not much can be said that you didn't cover. Good job!!!!

g$$
11-14-2007, 06:19 PM

Simple fact is Leach did not complain when Tech got the benefit of a bad call to beat OU with a Lubbock resident on that officating crew, yet now claims that was the reason the officals were so supposedly so bad sunday? Does not matter to him I guess that the "Austin" Resident is an SMU alum and has no ties to UT

Leach got an apology & admission of the wrong call from last year's game in Lubbock. Play involved Brian Robison & Texas got the ball back & won. Big 12 admitted it was a blown call at Media Day this past August.

Leach may have crossed the line, but I know one call they got wrong: Crabtree caught the ball inside the 5 yd. line. Review blew that one. He had forearm under the ball in control. Great diving catch. And Tech got zero pts. out of it too in the end. Holding call & dropped pass were correctly called. Horse collar is only illegal in the pros too btw, not college. Hopefully that will be changed as it is very dangerous.

That being said, Tech will never get over the hump until they play "some" defense. And quit going for it just about every 4th down too.

Leach did graduate from Pepperdine Law School in California.

Big Papa
11-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Leach got an apology & admission of the wrong call from last year's game in Lubbock. Play involved Brian Robison & Texas got the ball back & won. Big 12 admitted it was a blown call at Media Day this past August.

Leach may have crossed the line, but I know one call they got wrong: Crabtree caught the ball inside the 5 yd. line. Review blew that one. He had forearm under the ball in control. Great diving catch. And Tech got zero pts. out of it too in the end. Holding call & dropped pass were correctly called. Horse collar is only illegal in the pros too btw, not college. Hopefully that will be changed as it is very dangerous.

That being said, Tech will never get over the hump until they play "some" defense. And quit going for it just about every 4th down too.

Leach did graduate from Pepperdine Law School in California.

i agree im still waiting for the NCAA to follow the nfl and make the roy william rule a college rule too..and not wait until somebody breaks a leg on it....however on the crabtree catch wasnt it ruled incomplete on the field i cant remember...on the replays on showed that it looked like he mightve gotten his forearm underneath the ball...another angle you couldnt see the ball and the last angle looked like a drop....i agreed with the call after the review