PDA

View Full Version : best athlete from your school

nobogey72
11-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Who is in your opinion the best athlete from the 3A school that you follow in the last 10-15 yrs. Rules: It can't be YOU, YOUR BROTHER, OR SOMEONE YOU OWE A FAVOR. And, where are they now.

WYLIE: Case Keenum

Three yr starter at QB, semis as soph-beat by Gainsville, state champs as Jr. , semis as Sr. beat by Gainsville. 4 yr starter in Basketball, state finals as Sr. Started as Fresman in baseball, but quit after that yr. to run track to get faster. He is now the QB at Univ. of Houston. He is a great kid, very modest and very quick to downplay his abilities. I would love for him to marry my daughter (not for a while though, she is only 10 and is not quite ready.)

big daddy russ
11-13-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm going to throw Paul Campbell out there as the "best" for Ingleside, but there are quite a few others that were good too.

Others: Aaron Rombs, Joel Johnson, Dewayne Jones, Jason Baldwin, David Lyons, Bubba Jackson, Harvey Adame, Seth Snyder, George Baltimore, Ryan Peel, Chris Rowland, Leonard Williams, Lupe Moreno, David Stewart, BC Chatman, Randy Webb, Josh Coffield, Casey Dohogne, Jake Day, Jonas Wells, Steven Younk, and Zack Adams.

NDFootball
11-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Who is in your opinion the best athlete from the 3A school that you follow in the last 10-15 yrs. Rules: It can't be YOU, YOUR BROTHER, OR SOMEONE YOU OWE A FAVOR. And, where are they now.

Three yr starter at QB, semis as soph-beat by Gainsville, state champs as Jr. , semis as Sr. beat by Gainsville. 4 yr starter in Basketball, state finals as Sr. Started as Fresman in baseball, but quit after that yr. to run track to get faster. He is now the QB at Univ. of Houston. He is a great kid, very modest and very quick to downplay his abilities. I would love for him to marry my daughter (not for a while though, she is only 10 and is not quite ready.)

I second Case. Possibly Gary Edwards as well.

Three year varisty player. Soph year won state championship, jr. year lost to gainsville in semis, sr. year lost to canyon in regional finals. Not sure if he was on varsity basketball all 4 years, I know at least 3. Won state championship in track his senior year.

buff4life
11-13-2007, 05:59 PM

Jermaine Cooper i think..won state in track, tremendous ATHLETE....on cover of Track Magazine...

Old Tiger
11-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
Jermaine Cooper i think..won state in track, tremendous ATHLETE....on cover of Track Magazine... Word.

Rockdale:
Blade Bassler
Travis Ortega
The Brooks'
Stryker Sulak
Jamal Williams

I'm sure there are some that I'm leaving off. The best I have seen in person was Jamal Williams. Phenominal athlete and great RB. Rumored he had offers from top colleges around the nation but were with-held by the AD/HC.

buff4life
11-13-2007, 06:04 PM
there are definitely others, but when you said athlete, i stuck away from football and went to other sports...

Emerson1
11-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Dabryan Blanton - he was kind of fast

block&tackle
11-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Best athlete - D'Anton Lynn - Kinda hard to argue with someone committed to Penn St.

Best football player - Adam Herrin - QB'd Celina to three state titles, 1 7-on-7 state championship, and started for three years at Rice at MLB.

When it is all said and done we may be saying Caleb Lavey - soph this year, led team in tackles from MLB position as freshman, good judge of talent says that he is the best prospect on the team right now - including Franklin and Lynn.

carter08
11-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Jared Flannel.

lakers
11-13-2007, 06:56 PM
For Clyde it would have to say any of the hawk brothers...
They are all tennis players

Brandon played at UT and played awhile in the pros (i think)

Dustin was a 2 time state champion (dont know much of what he did in college, but he is the mayor of Clyde)

Luke was a 3 time state champion and last i heard is playing at ACU

block&tackle
11-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by lakers
For Clyde it would have to say any of the hawk brothers...
They are all tennis players

Brandon played at UT and played awhile in the pros (i think)

Dustin was a 2 time state champion (dont know much of what he did in college, but he is the mayor of Clyde)

One of them went straight to the pros - the one that was home-schooled. I think he was the oldest one.

I knew their dad 10-15 years ago when I lived in Abilene - he had the coolest name but now I can't think of it. You know?

mistanice
11-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Jermichael Finley

All state in football - Broke td and rec. yards record @ Diboll.

All state in Basketball. Averaged 24 points and 20 rebounds his Sr. year. took Diboll to Final Four that year. Starter for Varsity as Sophomore.

Played varsity baseball since freshman yr.

Now breaking records @ UT

Maroon87
11-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Amy Acuff.

She was in the Olympics and posed for Playboy.

:D

sweetwater07
11-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by lakers

we called him The Hawk... he was beasty on the hard court...turn his game up to match his opponents, and i believe his senior year he only gave up like 5 games in the entire state tourney...that guy can play some tennis

Big Papa
11-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Amy Acuff.

PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!.....not any of the obscene kind of course:D

IHStangFan
11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'm going to throw Paul Campbell out there as the "best" for Ingleside, but there are quite a few others that were good too.

Others: Aaron Rombs, Joel Johnson, Dewayne Jones, Jason Baldwin, David Lyons, Bubba Jackson, Harvey Adame, Seth Snyder, George Baltimore, Ryan Peel, Chris Rowland, Leonard Williams, Lupe Moreno, David Stewart, BC Chatman, Randy Webb, Josh Coffield, Casey Dohogne, Jake Day, Jonas Wells, Steven Younk, and Zack Adams. come on bro....this isn't even a contest....best athlete outa Ingleside hands down is Butch Riley. PERIOD. Everyone else is a VERY distant second.

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Willie Amos-Sweetwater

Blackshirt in Nebraska Secondary, started in the NC game when they got killed by Miami, if my memory is correct

Broke some Nebraska offseason records

World Champion Jump roper

Played some in NFL Europe from what I heard.

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
The WWE wrestler Bradshaw played for Sweetwater.

Maroon87
11-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!.....not any of the obscene kind of course:D

She was in the issue where all those female Olympians were posing, sometime in spring/summer 2004.

She won 4A girls high jump multiple times and set a national HS girls record in the process (don't remember how high she cleared) and went to UCLA on a track scholarship.

On top of all that, my dad and her dad were co-workers so I knew her a little bit. She was tall...;)

bobcat1
11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
The "Cadillac"(D'Anton Lynn) is the best pure Athlete. The best football player is Caleb Lavey. Pound for Pound the toughest is Breck Holman.

big daddy russ
11-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
come on bro....this isn't even a contest....best athlete outa Ingleside hands down is Butch Riley. PERIOD. Everyone else is a VERY distant second.
Who in the world is Butch Riley? Is he the one that played in the NFL from the 60's?

IHStangFan
11-13-2007, 08:09 PM
I honestly don't know who Butch Riley is. Is he the one that played in the NFL from the 60's? Rgrgr that.

Gobbler Fan
11-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Amy Acuff.

I think I saw her .....

In the Olympics:cool:

tigerpride_08
11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
i have to say the best athletes while i have been in high school were Jamial Shelton and Joel Ansley...but overall i couldn't tell you...

sinton66
11-13-2007, 10:50 PM
For Sinton, I would think it would have to be Adrian Alaniz. Great quarterback, great pitcher, all around great kid too.

lakers
11-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
One of them went straight to the pros - the one that was home-schooled. I think he was the oldest one.

I knew their dad 10-15 years ago when I lived in Abilene - he had the coolest name but now I can't think of it. You know?

yeah that must have been brandon.

and if ur talking about Endgate Hawk then yeah ur right. It is the strangest name that i have ever heard.

District303aPastPlayer
11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
For Sinton, I would think it would have to be Adrian Alaniz. Great quarterback, great pitcher, all around great kid too.

in the past 10 years sure... But I'd say Jaime Sepeda was a pretty damn good pitcher too, maybe a little better...

big daddy russ
11-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i have to say the best athletes while i have been in high school were Jamial Shelton and Joel Ansley...but overall i couldn't tell you...
I don't know if you were ever around during the Kellen Heard days, but that kid was an absolute BEAST in high school.

I've seen a bunch of good HS DL's in my day. Got to see the Spring Westfield line a few years back that put six guys in Division IA, former five-star DT William Morrisey out of Silsbee along with his little bro, and Rodrigue Wright out of one of those Alief schools, and the only one that was as dominant (at least at the HS level) as Heard was Wright. Big, strong, and deceptively fast.

raider red 2000
11-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08

stories are about anthony ray...not sure how old he is....i think graduated about 20 years ago.

demestrice doggins may have been the best that i have seen since i have been in wharton...as far as potential....good size...6'2 210. WR/ DE.... guard in hoops....was on the state runner up track team. was 1 hand off away from winning state.

not sure what he is doing now.

sicem74
11-13-2007, 11:13 PM
CAMERON YOE

DEREK EVANS
BILLY PITTMAN
JUSTIN HANEL
EFRAIN VALVERDE
SCOTT CUMMINGS
ED WELLS
TERRANCE BROOKS
TRE WILCOX
RYAN MULLINS
JACOB LOCKE
ROSS WATSON
MARCUS ZAROSKY
SAM HOOKS...
BRIAN SCOTT

raider red 2000
11-13-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't know if you were ever around during the Kellen Heard days, but that kid was an absolute BEAST in high school.

I've seen a bunch of good HS DL's in my day. Got to see the Spring Westfield line a few years back that put six guys in Division IA, former five-star DT William Morrisey out of Silsbee along with his little bro, and Rodrigue Wright out of one of those Alief schools, and the only one that was as dominant (at least at the HS level) as Heard was Wright. Big, strong, and deceptively fast.

heard could do what he wanted on the field...good feet...strong...6'7 350 or so.

raider red 2000
11-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Jermaine Cooper i think..won state in track, tremendous ATHLETE....on cover of Track Magazine...

i think tony brown was pretty good too.

i think won state in the 400 and 4x400

played ball at tech...maybe the falcons too.

last i heard was coaching in beaumont.

Stownhorse
11-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Mychal Carrillo

lakers
11-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Mychal Carrillo

he is still a damn good athlete. i saw him play a couple of weeks ago at HSU and he still dominates.

sinton66
11-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
in the past 10 years sure... But I'd say Jaime Sepeda was a pretty damn good pitcher too, maybe a little better...

Granted, he was good, but where is he now? I'm asking because I don't know, I'm not being a wise guy.

yoemenkracker30
11-13-2007, 11:32 PM
let's see who I can think of IMO from Cameron Yoe:

Football: Billy Pittman & Derek Evans were the 2 most recent "Mr. Do-Everythings", Justin Hanel, Ed Wells, & Ross Watson are the best recent linemen
Men's Basketball: Thomas Webber, Billy Pittman, Tra Wilcox
Women's Basketball: nobody really comes to mind
Volleyball: Shelly Gaas & Tara Tucker are the most recent
Cross Country: Gerardo Moreno, Robert Smith, Maria Pena, Esther Moreno
Baseball: Brandon Kimbrel,
Softball: Courtney DeLaRosa, Candace Culpepper
Men's Track: Byron Majors, Curtis Hoyle run track at UTA...both had a hand in YHS school records
Women's Track & Field: Nikki Lopez, Shakira Harris, Amanda Villanueva, & Charlissa Foster (I think she had one of the top 5 throws in the nation for the discus last year as a HS senior)

District303aPastPlayer
11-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Granted, he was good, but where is he now? I'm asking because I don't know, I'm not being a wise guy.

I honestly don't know... but i know that a few years back there were a couple of RBs that did great things. Also, a couple of guys from the basketball team were great athletes... Steven Ortiz was a great high jumper, Matt Mayo was a good TE. Rodney Orta went to play at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi with Michael Hicks... i believe he walked on...

sinton66
11-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Okay, I guess I took the question to mean best "all around". Maybe I didn't understand the question?

nobogey72
11-14-2007, 07:14 AM

Their dad's name is Endgate. Probably not spelled right.

wtxfootball08
11-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Their dad's name is Endgate. Probably not spelled right.

Yeah that is the correct spelling-- He is a great christan guy(he was in the pba before he had dustin, who is the oldest) Brandon the mid. age was the one who went pro.

But Lakers your forgetting one--Ashley Hawk, she i BEAUTIFUL and she too went to ACU and played tennis

Adidas410s
11-14-2007, 09:46 AM

Brandon did go to Clyde in HS...but because he was deemed "professional" at the age of 16 (because he earned something like $1500 in a minor event) he couldn't play UIL. Then again, there wasn't a need for him to play any UIL tennis as it wouldn't have been worth his time. Brandon was all-state on one of the top 3A basketball teams in the state. He considered walking on his freshman year but after earning All-American status in the fall of his freshman year (during indoor season) he decided against it. He was All-American (also in academics) in his 2 seasons at Texas before turning pro. He won multiple USTA national titles as a junior as well as some international titles. I don't remember all of the facts/figures on him...but he was definitely above Dustin and Luke.

Dustin played at ACU for 3 years before transferring his senior year to Texas Tech. This was also Brandon's freshman year at Texas and they were able to play against each other at a few tournaments.

And yes...Ashley Hawk (thought she's married so I don't remember her name now) is VERYYYYYYYYYYY good looking.

chugbug
11-14-2007, 09:55 AM
The best from Teague, Tx was Brent Tritschler. Not very fast but could cover a football field from side to side. Outstanding punter,good pitcher and all-around good person.:D :D :tongue: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

JR2004
11-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Not a real hard choice for best from my school.

John Wesley Jones

Better known as Johnny "Lam" Jones. All-American in football at UT and played 8 years in the NFL. Ran the second leg in the 1976 Montreal Olympics on the gold medal winning 4x100. He also finished 6th in the 100 meters in that same Olympics. He did that two months removed from his HIGH SCHOOL graduation.

Probably best known to the local folks, as well as track fans across the state, for his legendary performance at the 1976 state track meet when he single-handedly won Lampasas the only team championship in the history of the school.

Two guys that I go watch football games with were both there that day and they still recall that day like it happened yesterday. They said they've still never seen anything even remotely close to his comeback in the mile relay that gave Lampasas the title over the state's preeminent track power at the time, Odessa Ector. That relay comeback and overall performance that day was voted as the greatest achievement in the history of the state track meet.

Txbroadcaster
11-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Not a real hard choice for best from my school.

John Wesley Jones

Better known as Johnny "Lam" Jones. All-American in football at UT and played 8 years in the NFL. Ran the second leg in the 1976 Montreal Olympics on the gold medal winning 4x100. He also finished 6th in the 100 meters in that same Olympics. He did that two months removed from his HIGH SCHOOL graduation.

Probably best known to the local folks, as well as track fans across the state, for his legendary performance at the 1976 state track meet when he single-handedly won Lampasas the only team championship in the history of the school.

Two guys that I go watch football games with were both there that day and they still recall that day like it happened yesterday. They said they've still never seen anything even remotely close to his comeback in the mile relay that gave Lampasas the title over the state's preeminent track power at the time, Odessa Ector. That relay comeback and overall performance that day was voted as the greatest achievement in the history of the state track meet.

When did u graduate from Lampasas? Curtis Thrift was a good one from there

JR2004
11-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
When did u graduate from Lampasas? Curtis Thrift was a good one from there

1998. Thrift was really good too, but I just went with the best one. Thrift was on the 86 state semi-finalist (Best team the school had since the late 1920's and it came as a member of Region I.) that lost to eventual state champion Jefferson (22-0 I believe it was). I remember watching him play tight end for UT though.

Txbroadcaster
11-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
1998. Thrift was really good too, but I just went with the best one. Thrift was on the 86 state semi-finalist (Best team the school had since the late 1920's and it came as a member of Region I.) that lost to eventual state champion Jefferson (22-0 I believe it was). I remember watching him play tight end for UT though.

24-0 and I was there..My cousin was HC of Jefferson at the time

nobogey72
11-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Was Bubba Franks (Big Spring) an all around athlete, or just a football player? Whoever answers that might also could tell me whatever happened to Tori Michell. Last I heard was he went to U of Miami but didn't finish 2 a days and came home. He came to a track meet at Wylie his Sr. yr. He and his coach considered WDing because it was cold and drizzly. He went ahead and ran the prelims of the 200 with sweats on, and ran a 20.75. It was unbelievable.

BillyChapel
11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Coach in a different place, but from my Home Town its -
Terry Kircus
Mitchell Maxwell
Jordan Shipley
Mcgee

kepdawg
11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
During that time frame:

The Colony: Deron Williams, Bam Harmon

Jasper: Sean Weatherspoon, Jamoiy Bryant

Denison: Aaron Hunt, Chris Robertson

PurplePride2006
11-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Alaniz is an amazing athlete, we played against him in the State Semi-Finals in baseball his senior year. He got the game winning hit in the bottom of the 10th.

Snyder_TigerFan
11-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Was Bubba Franks (Big Spring) an all around athlete, or just a football player? Whoever answers that might also could tell me whatever happened to Tori Michell. Last I heard was he went to U of Miami but didn't finish 2 a days and came home. He came to a track meet at Wylie his Sr. yr. He and his coach considered WDing because it was cold and drizzly. He went ahead and ran the prelims of the 200 with sweats on, and ran a 20.75. It was unbelievable.

Tori Mitchell was shot and killed last year :(

Link (http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18734532&BRD=2288&PAG=461&dept_id=475626&rfi=6)

pirate4state
11-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Granted, he was good, but where is he now? I'm asking because I don't know, I'm not being a wise guy. Jaime played for Stanford one season, then I think was drafted, but that didn't pan out.

As far as HS career, I'd have to give Jaime the edge because he got it done back-to-back. ;)

As for all around athlete - I'd go with Adrian.

I would think the most successful would be Mike Adams since he has pitched on the big stage! :thumbsup:

BillyChapel
11-14-2007, 11:20 AM
sad story about Mitchell..

Who-dun-it!!?
11-14-2007, 11:37 AM
From the two different high schools I attended, there was Kim Phillips (New Boston High) played a short time in the NFL for the Bills and The Saints, and a fella named Billy Simms from Hooks High School (Detroit Lions) he wore # 20 berfore barry did. Oh yea, Philly has a defensive player from hooks tx, also. He's a dominate well known , but I don't like Philly enough to remember his name at the moment.

wtxfootball08
11-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Brandon did go to Clyde in HS...but because he was deemed "professional" at the age of 16 (because he earned something like $1500 in a minor event) he couldn't play UIL. Then again, there wasn't a need for him to play any UIL tennis as it wouldn't have been worth his time. Brandon was all-state on one of the top 3A basketball teams in the state. He considered walking on his freshman year but after earning All-American status in the fall of his freshman year (during indoor season) he decided against it. He was All-American (also in academics) in his 2 seasons at Texas before turning pro. He won multiple USTA national titles as a junior as well as some international titles. I don't remember all of the facts/figures on him...but he was definitely above Dustin and Luke.

Dustin played at ACU for 3 years before transferring his senior year to Texas Tech. This was also Brandon's freshman year at Texas and they were able to play against each other at a few tournaments.

And yes...Ashley Hawk (thought she's married so I don't remember her name now) is VERYYYYYYYYYYY good looking.

Last names Caperton

lion75
11-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Dexter Butler, James Dixon, Derrick Richardson and Lawrence Gaines.... best singer from Vernon = Roy Orbison... best lawyer from Vernon = clinton prosecuter Ken Starr

nobogey72
11-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by lion75
Dexter Butler, James Dixon, Derrick Richardson and Lawrence Gaines.... best singer from Vernon = Roy Orbison... best lawyer from Vernon = clinton prosecuter Ken Starr

Sheddrick Ricks was a good one from Vernon. Kicked our A$$ in the snow in Vernon one year, long about 99.

Bernard Scott has turned out pretty good too. Have been to see him several times at ACU games. He's breaking a lot of records.

Best barber in Abilene---- Ken Starr's brother. That's actually true. He can't cut hair for sh.., but he is his brother.

JR2004
11-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
24-0 and I was there..My cousin was HC of Jefferson at the time

Actually we're both wrong. It was 26-0. I couldn't be there because my parents couldn't take us to the playoff games. The distances were too far to take me and my brother to at the time. We were seven and five years old at the time of that playoff run and there was no way my parents were taking us at that age...lol. I still have great memories though of listening to the Crane game on the radio. Never will forget my parents yelling when we hit the field goal as time expired to win 10-8 in the regional semi-finals that year.

24-0 was the score against Cuero in the championship game.

pittqueen
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Pittsburg, Texas best athlete is Kendall Wright!

State Champion in the Long Jump 24. 1
State Champion in the Triple Jump 48.4
1st Team All-State in Basketball 31.ppg
And we all know what he can do in Football. All as a Junior

lion75
11-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Sheddrick Ricks was a good one from Vernon. Kicked our A$$ in the snow in Vernon one year, long about 99.

Bernard Scott has turned out pretty good too. Have been to see him several times at ACU games. He's breaking a lot of records.

Best barber in Abilene---- Ken Starr's brother. That's actually true. He can't cut hair for sh.., but he is his brother. True those guys were very good. I could also mention Billy McBride, Garlon Gibson, and Willard Wilson, but Gaines played for the Detroit Lions For several years, Dixon for the Cowboys, Richardson was Class AAA Player of the Year in 1990 and Butler was the best ever rb from Vernon IMO at 250 lb and the 100 meter district champ (5th in the shot).

Adidas410s
11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by wtxfootball08
Last names Caperton

that's right...I knew he was our age I just couldn't think of it for the life of me...

Who-dun-it!!?
11-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
From the two different high schools I attended, there was Kim Phillips (New Boston High) played a short time in the NFL for the Bills and The Saints, and a fella named Billy Simms from Hooks High School (Detroit Lions) he wore # 20 berfore barry did. Oh yea, Philly has a defensive player from hooks tx, also. He's a dominate well known , but I don't like Philly enough to remember his name at the moment.

Okay it was buggin me enough to look it up. Jeremiah Trotter is from Hooks and is now with Tampa Bay.

g$$
11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Sweeny

Currently: Johnnie Lee Higgins, Jr.
Rookie WR/KR Oakland Raiders (All-American/3rd round pick from UTEP)

Ricky "Tank" Carder
TCU football scholarship
Redshirting at LB this year

Blake Williams
University of Texas baseball scholarship
Redshirted & shoulder surgery upcoming

**Sweeny has produced 9 professional football players over the years (Lindsey played in CFL & won 2 Grey Cups).

Others of note all sports (All-State, played beyond hs, etc.):
Elmo Wright, Clarence Williams, Raymond Butler, Jimmie Lindsey, Tracey Simien, George Layne Jr., Cedric Woodard, Kevin Garrett, Benford Williams, Quinn Thomas, Mike McGuire, Jason Bullard, Russell Boone, Billy Hugh Wallace, Bennett Fields, Trina Williams, Antoinnette Wright, Dickey Williams, Larry Chandler, Sonny Benefield, Brett Simpson, Avery Helms, Nick Bess, Mike Coleman, Maurice Griggs, Lowell Wright, Mark Gregurek, Mark Washington, David Williams, Kay Grovey, Bernice Dorsey, Mike Houston, Chris Jordan, Abe Mack, Jonathan Fields, Billy Weems, Craig Brooks, Glendale Woodard, Georgia Bivens, Donald Ray Lemon, Trisha Thomas, Charmin Bonner, Rene' Woodard, Phillip Simmons, Wendell Davis, Troy Mack, Shedrick Johnson, & many more.

I'm sure I forgot some fine athletes going way back, but that's a good start. Feel free to add to it Sweeny people.

g$$
11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
Okay it was buggin me enough to look it up. Jeremiah Trotter is from Hooks and is now with Tampa Bay.

His sister Meshelle Trotter was an All-Conference track performer at A&M. Threw the shot & discus. Athletic family from tiny Hooks. Good call on Billy Sims too.

buff4life
11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Sweeny

Currently: Johnnie Lee Higgins, Jr.
Rookie WR/KR Oakland Raiders (All-American/3rd round pick from UTEP)

Ricky "Tank" Carder
TCU football scholarship
Redshirting at LB this year

Tank isn't redshirted..he played against Texas...

g$$
11-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Jared Flannel.

Fine athlete now at Tech, but you are forgetting the guys from years past who made it big. Charlie Johnson, Charlie Davis, Jim Ray Smith, Wayne Williams, Dennis Gaubatz, & others. Langner kids in tennis too. WC has had a bunch of good ones.

g$$
11-14-2007, 05:30 PM

WRONG - redshirting. Believe me, I know! I talk to his mother quite a bit. He has 4 years left & getting bigger & stronger.

buff4life
11-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
WRONG - redshirting. Believe me, I know! I talk to his mother quite a bit. He has 4 years left & getting bigger & stronger.

maybe i'm wrong

Stownhorse
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
maybe i'm wrong

You know g$$ is never wrong.

g$$
11-14-2007, 06:08 PM
You know g$$ is never wrong.

Sure I make mistakes - but I also keep informed. Try it some time.

Stownhorse
11-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Sure I make mistakes - but I also keep informed. Try it some time.

He has to have the last laugh too.

JDOG
11-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Tank may be the best all around football player we've had. Maybe not the best player, but I don't remember another that could have actually played any position on the field from Tailback to Tackle and played it at a very high level.
Tubby Meador was a High School All American at Sweeny I think in 1964 and went on to play at Sam Houston. I don't think we have had any others that made All American while in High School. Correct me if I'm wrong.

g$$
11-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by JDOG
Tank may be the best all around football player we've had. Maybe not the best player, but I don't remember another that could have actually played any position on the field from Tailback to Tackle and played it at a very high level.
Tubby Meador was a High School All American at Sweeny I think in 1964 and went on to play at Sam Houston. I don't think we have had any others that made All American while in High School. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tubby was a good one no doubt - still stout too! Tracey Simien may have been AA, not sure without looking it up. Played close to 10 years in NFL though. Elmo was AA at UH, so was Higgins at UTEP. Not sure to answer your question about high school AAs. Russell Boone, Benford Williams, etc.??

Any others I forgot in above post?

King_LeYoeNidas
11-14-2007, 07:17 PM
ill adjust some of those Cameron players....
football only..
Kal Kelly
Sam Hooks
BL Miller
Martin Gonzalez
Aaron Thomas
Lee Warrick
Jeremy Vansa
Scott Cummings
Cedric Wells
Billy Pittman
Derrick Evans
Ryan Mullins
Brian Scott
Justin Hanel

JR2004
11-15-2007, 12:51 AM
He has to have the last laugh too.

I don't think the poor fella can help it to be honest.

JR2004
11-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
football only..
Kal Kelly
Sam Hooks
BL Miller
Martin Gonzalez
Aaron Thomas
Lee Warrick
Jeremy Vansa
Scott Cummings
Cedric Wells
Billy Pittman
Derrick Evans
Ryan Mullins
Brian Scott
Justin Hanel

Where's Nathaniel Wells at on this list? That kid sure could run the football back in the early 90's.

RedWhiteBlue
11-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Nobogey72- whatever happened to Lynn Corn? Isn't she coaching somewhere? She was a member of the State Championship team in 1989 with Briggs......

Old Tiger
11-15-2007, 05:39 AM
These are recent ones that I can think of. Perhaps Rockdale80 could put some more in the list.

Football:Blade Bassler, Travis Ortega, Jamal Williams.
Basketball: Tee Richardson, Katory Morrison, Jessica Gaines
Track: Leslie Starnes
Softball: Sammie Meyer, Toni Ellis, Caitlyn Luetge, Kaitlynne Schneer
Baseball: Clueless
Volleyball: Clueless
Golf: John Krause

nobogey72
11-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Nobogey72- whatever happened to Lynn Corn? Isn't she coaching somewhere? She was a member of the State Championship team in 1989 with Briggs......

I don't know, I kept up with her for a while through her uncle Larry, who runs the Doghouse, but haven't asked him lately. She could go!!!!!! I'll find out and get back to you.

raider red 2000
11-15-2007, 07:57 AM

i thought i had seen him too against someone else.

g$$
11-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
i thought i had seen him too against someone else.

Maybe on sidelines, but he is definitely redshirting & coming along nicely. Watch for him the next 4 years. I have heard of no change from the family & I have not seen him in a game. #43 & suits up for home games.

JR2004: You are right - I can't help being honest. Not quite your wording, but there you go. And I will stay honest & informed too.

g$$
11-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Tubby was a good one no doubt - still stout too! Tracey Simien may have been AA, not sure without looking it up. Played close to 10 years in NFL though. Elmo was AA at UH, so was Higgins at UTEP. Not sure to answer your question about high school AAs. Russell Boone, Benford Williams, etc.??

Any others I forgot in above post?

Sweeny
JDOG: Trina Williams was an AA in basketball in hs & had a great career at SFA when they were a powerhouse (Aggie coach Gary Blair was the HC then). Also Cedric Woodard in football garnered lots of honors before going to UT/pros. Hope that helps.

JDOG
11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Sweeny
JDOG: Trina Williams was an AA in basketball in hs & had a great career at SFA when they were a powerhouse (Aggie coach Gary Blair was the HC then). Also Cedric Woodard in football garnered lots of honors before going to UT/pros. Hope that helps. I do remember Trina being AA but as many awards as he got I don,t think Cedric made AA. Although I do think he was probably the most recruited player we've ever had. I got to be around for a lot of that and got to meet alot of big time college coaches. It was fun being around it. Thanks g$$

rockdale80
11-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by chugbug
The best from Teague, Tx was Brent Tritschler. Not very fast but could cover a football field from side to side. Outstanding punter,good pitcher and all-around good person.:D :D :tongue: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

Matt Trissel. Saw that kid win the shot and discus at a track meet, then run the last leg of the winning sprint relay. Plus he played FB in HS, and at the University of Texas. Not from there....just remember him.

rockdale80
11-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
These are recent ones that I can think of. Perhaps Rockdale80 could put some more in the list.

Football:Blade Bassler, Travis Ortega, Jamal Williams.
Basketball: Tee Richardson, Katory Morrison, Jessica Gaines
Track: Leslie Starnes
Softball: Sammie Meyer, Toni Ellis, Caitlyn Luetge, Kaitlynne Schneer
Baseball: Clueless
Volleyball: Clueless
Golf: John Krause

PJ Williams? Farm league MLB and started for UMHB football
Decius Tasby? UMHB football
Dexter Wesley? Texas ATM fotball
Scott Caffey?Texas ATM football
Steve Gilleland? UNT football
Greg Gerthe? Cant remember Football
Both Robertson brothers-Cant remember
Brooks Bassler?UH Track
Briana Bassler?UH Track
Rainey Eanes? Iowa Softball
Ken White? Austin Rattlers football
Damien Turner-Iowa-Track
Andre Johnson-Powerlifting

I think you missed a few over the years. I know I did as well, but those are the ones that jumped in my head for now.

rockdale80
11-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
football only..
Kal Kelly
Sam Hooks
BL Miller
Martin Gonzalez
Aaron Thomas
Lee Warrick
Jeremy Vansa
Scott Cummings
Cedric Wells
Billy Pittman
Derrick Evans
Ryan Mullins
Brian Scott
Justin Hanel

I played against a fair amount of those guys. Reminds me of those good ol days.

whtfbplaya
11-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Wharton:

Raymond Hudson

Bench-355
40-4.33

Who-dun-it!!?
11-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by g$$
His sister Meshelle Trotter was an All-Conference track performer at A&M. Threw the shot & discus. Athletic family from tiny Hooks. Good call on Billy Sims too.

I use to live about 2 miles from Billy Simms.

Thanks for the props.

Who-dun-it!!?
11-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Sonny Cumbie is from Snyder, he walked on at Texas Tech led the nation in passing his senior year. Upset the # 3 team in the nation and won the Holiday Bowl. He is now the starting QB for the LA Avengers Areana football team.