PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifiting question

ProudHornetMom
11-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Someone wrote (I think on this forum) regarding schools that are in the post district play have powerlifters who usually go to the quarterfinals in powerlifting. Our powerlifting program is successful but not many athletes in it. The powerlifting coach is great and does a good job. I'm curious what other schools do to promote the program.

And is there a powerlifting 3Adownlow so to speak...you know the forum of experts in the field. ;)

State_In_08
11-11-2007, 06:07 PM
We've had state champions and/or finalists every year since I believe 2001 or 2002. We currently have a senior (Jared Sanders) who is a two-time State Champion, going for his third straight title.

ProudHornetMom
11-11-2007, 06:13 PM
I saw Sanders several times last year at meets. Quite an athlete.

Rattlesnake_08
11-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by State_In_08
We've had state champions and/or finalists every year since I believe 2001 or 2002. We currently have a senior (Jared Sanders) who is a two-time State Champion, going for his third straight title.

Maybe he'll actually get to go to Nationals this year.

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-11-2007, 06:49 PM
When I was in high school at Sweetwater they would make everyone do the powerlifting workout and then top lifters would actually go compete. I don't know what they do now though.

striker
11-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Who is your Powerlifting Coach in Caldwell?

LH Panther Mom
11-11-2007, 07:02 PM
We're not one of the "in" teams in PL. :( The only meet we've been to the last two years is in San Marcos. Last year we had 4 kids attend. Basically in the off-season workouts, several of the kids were asked...then if anyone was available, they went. Our PL coach is now teaching only, so it may be done differently.

(My son set a goal last year to make Regionals this year. He took 3rd at SM meet last year as a sophomore, and would most likely have qualified then in the next higher weight class.)

tigerpride_08
11-11-2007, 07:59 PM
we do well in powerlifting for the most part...me and 2 other lifters qualified for regionals last year...i dunno with a new coach what his views of it is....but yes i'm looking forward to it again:D

CheerMom
11-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Rice Consolidated has a big powerlifting program and holds a big meet at the end of the season. We had several regional qualifiers and some state qualifiers this past season. My daughter went to Nationals this past year. That was definitely an experience, to say the least.

Old Tiger
11-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Palacious is probably the best of the bunch in powerlifting.

tigerpride_08
11-11-2007, 08:55 PM
both Rice and Palacios are good powerlifting programs....every meet we were at with them, both teams dominated...the RB Ziggy was in my weight class and he got 1st almost everytime...the Buckley's for Palacios are beasts also...

ProudHornetMom
11-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Who is your Powerlifting Coach in Caldwell?

Chance Locklear and Nathan Goodlett. Both have powerlifting experience.

(My son set a goal last year to make Regionals this year. He took 3rd at SM meet last year as a sophomore, and would most likely have qualified then in the next higher weight class.)

Last year was my son's first year in PL. He placed high for 2 meets and then China Springs came on board. :eek: I would have thought LH would have a strong PL program with y'all success.

LH Panther Mom
11-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
I would have thought LH would have a strong PL program with y'all success. Oh, we do, just not in competition. :D ;) Hopefully we will start getting invited to other meets. We actually have a girl this year that wants to PL. Woohoo!

ProudHornetMom
11-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Now I understand. If we host a meet, I'll invite LH. :D

Old Tiger
11-11-2007, 09:54 PM
I can only think of 3 people off the top of my head who have excelled in powerlifting from Caldwell. The bookman brothers and the guy last yaer.

LH Panther Mom
11-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
Now I understand. If we host a meet, I'll invite LH. :D
Yay! I wasn't able to go watch the first year my son went, but I did this year. It was entertaining watching the kids try to get their shirts on & off. :D (I'm easily amused. ;) )

ProudHornetMom
11-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Now that's just good entertainment. It's definitely an art and certainly evens the playing field...no one looks good in them.