PDA

View Full Version : Singletary expresses interest in Baylor job

kepdawg
11-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Ex-Baylor star Singletary expresses interest in Baylor job

07:57 PM CST on Friday, November 9, 2007

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News
brdavis@dallasnews.com

Mike Singletary said Friday that he has not had formal talks with Baylor officials about a potential coaching vacancy. But the school icon and NFL legend said he would be interested in leading his alma mater.

"I'm interested, if that's where the Lord is leading me," Singletary said. "But I'm going to go wherever the Lord is sending us. My wife and I are continuing to be in prayer about it, and if that's where the Lord is sending us, we're open.

"I don't know if it makes a lot of sense when I tell people that," he added. "I get a lot of blank stares in my face when I say that. They think, 'Why don't you just answer the question?' But it's the honest answer. It's truly the answer."

Current Baylor coach Guy Morriss, 56, will not be retained after this season, two high-ranking university sources have told The Dallas Morning News. Morriss is 18-38 in five seasons and has failed to lead the Bears (3-7, 0-6 Big 12) to a bowl game. He has one year remaining on his contract.

The Bears have endured 12 straight losing seasons and have lost 10 consecutive Big 12 games. Baylor is a 38-point underdog in today's game at No. 4 Oklahoma.

University president John Lilley declined an interview request Friday. Athletic director Ian McCaw declined to answer questions about Morriss or the future of the head coaching position. McCaw for weeks has said the program will be evaluated at the end of the season.

Morriss and the Bears had a five-hour bus ride to Norman, Okla., on Friday. Morriss was not speaking to reporters and would not issue a statement, Baylor spokesman Nick Joos said.

Sources told The News that Morriss is expected to coach the final two games of the season. An official announcement will probably come after the Oklahoma State game on Nov. 17.

Singletary, 49, is expected to be a top candidate to take over at Baylor, but he's not the only one. The school is expected to look at other current Bowl Subdivision head coaches.

Singletary, an assistant head coach with the San Francisco 49ers, said he can't worry about what's happening in Waco. The 49ers are 2-6 heading into Monday's game against the Seattle Seahawks.

"For me, it's just a matter of continuing to stay focused on what I'm doing here in San Francisco," Singletary said. "Whatever happened at Baylor, if there are any formal talks or whatever, I guess we'll just cross that bridge when it gets there."

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/111007dnspobaylorlede.283d4e7.html)

JR2004
11-10-2007, 02:40 PM
The arguments over on Baylorfans.com during the last several months have been interesting to say the least when it comes to Singletary.