PDA

View Full Version : Retiring a jersey

lion75
11-09-2007, 11:12 AM
A former Vernon Lion will have his #86 jersey retired tonight after having been killed in Iraq in May. Ryan Collins was killed on a Friday night in Iraq doing house to house searches for the kidnapped American soldiers that were missing. He was 20. His jersey will be presented by current Lion Austin White who has worn #86 since 7th grade but gave up the number at the start of the season so it could be retired. The jersey will be on display in the trophy case at D. O. Fulton Gymnasium. His senior season, Ryan caught a long pass that helped Vernon beat Graham and ultimately go to the semifinals where they lost to Atlanta.

scott Wilson
11-09-2007, 11:42 AM
GOD BLESS THAT YOUNG MAN!!! And all the men and women who keep our sorry butt`s free to type on websites like these. Everyone says "I support the military", but that right there is doing support, not just saying it. Congrats to the school and the young man who gladly gave up his number for a bigger cause.

lion75
11-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Prayers for his family would be a good thing as well.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Lion 75

(The long pass was against Childress not Graham -- we lost to Graham that year).

I remember that pass very well. It was right in front of the visitor sideline. A long in the air pass of abut 30 yards and then he did the rest. I think he only had a few catches the entire year, but that one went for about 60-75 yards and opened up the Lions offense.

I can't even look at the field now without thinking about that catch. Ryan's mother and step father sit one row below me in the stands. What a good family and what a huge loss.

Every time I watch a game at Lion Stadium I will remember that catch he made.

Stats
11-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for sharing this with us. God Bless.

lion75
11-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Lion 75

(The long pass was against Childress not Graham -- we lost to Graham that year).

I remember that pass very well. It was right in front of the visitor sideline. A long in the air pass of abut 30 yards and then he did the rest. I think he only had a few catches the entire year, but that one went for about 60-75 yards and opened up the Lions offense.

I can't even look at the field now without thinking about that catch. Ryan's mother and step father sit one row below me in the stands. What a good family and what a huge loss.

Every time I watch a game at Lion Stadium I will remember that catch he made. My bad on the catch. Sorry about that Graham posters. It must have been those blue Childress uni's that I had on the brain. It should be an awesome night. I won't be able to make it. Thanks Z.