PDA

View Full Version : hometown kids who are now coaches...

jason
11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
stole this idea from texaaaasports.com...

do any of you guys know of kids from your hometown who are now active coaches ??

ive got a good one....

kaorder1999 is a forney grad - class of '99 i believe (he was a senior when i was a freshman)...

he is the defensive coordinator for dallas adamson...

before this season they were 1-58 in their previous 59 games (im 99%sure that # is right)...

they started this season 5-0 and played their final district game last night against seagoville...

adamson had to beat seagoville by 15+ in order for them to make the playoffs - however, they fell a little short....

for adamson to be competing for a playoff spot in week 10 was huge for that school and community...

congrats josh on a remarkable season and an amazing turnaround....

Butkus
11-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Ole Alfred Hunt is a graduate of ole Sweetwater High School and is back a coachin in his hometown.

Ranger Mom
11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Does it have to be high school coaches??

Dawson Wilber (2004 Greenwood Grad) is coaching at NMSU.

I think it's the scout team, but I talked to him mom a couple of weeks ago and evidently a few of the coaches are leaving and want Dawson to go with them.

Does that count as coaching?

CenTexSports
11-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Randy Sapp graduated from Cameron and is still coaching there (was HC)

Robert Hudson played on the state championship Yoe team in 1981 and he is OC at Rogers

There are at least a half dozen more ex Cameron guys coaching, I think.

pirate4state
11-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Sinton has several, most of the active ones I know of also played on the 1988-1989 back-to-back state championship baseball teams. Here are just some of the ones I could think of.

Joe Henry Doria - Roma*
Juan Buendia - Taft*
Darrell Hesseltine - Skidmore-Tynan*
Eddie Hesseltine - Three Rivers
Graig Hesseltine - Ingleside*
Michael Whitehead - not sure if he is still coaching, but he was at AP then Bloomington*
Joe Ramos - was at Raymondville, I think he is now at a 5A school in the valley - Brownsville maybe?
James House - Skidmore-Tynan
Jones Reagan - Sinton

*played on the back-to-back baseball teams

Johnny Utah
11-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Sapp is one heck of a coach and person.

44INAROW
11-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Off the top of my head:

Adam Arroyo - AD @ Skidmore/Tynan
Keven Parma - Victoria Memorial (or whatever they go by)
Michael Rabe - AD Ganado
Karl Saenz - Nixon-Smiley
Jason Gonzales - Skidmore/Tynan (is he still there?)
Clint Finley - Victoria Memorial
Trooper Taylor - CoachTennessee Volunteers

I am sure there are others - this is just what I thought of off the top of my head...

kaorder1999
11-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I appreciate it Jason...

Other Former Forney Jackrabbits that are now coaching...

Justin McDaniel 1996- Flower Mound High School (Running Backs)
Kyle Abshire 1998- Waskom High School (Defensive Coordinator)
Zach Najarro 2001- Waskom High School (Linebackers/OLine)
John Garcia 1996- Grand Saline (Defensive Coordinator)
Billy Dan Chambliess 1995- Greenville (not sure what he is coaching)
Clay Beason 1991- Harding University (Linebackers)

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Butkus
Ole Alfred Hunt is a graduate of ole Sweetwater High School and is back a coachin in his hometown.

Don't forget about Patrick Villa. Don't be surprised if David
Ritchey makes his way back here too.

DaHop72
11-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Don't forget about Patrick Villa. Don't be surprised if David
Ritchey makes his way back here too. They don't coach anymore but David Mayfield and Roland Herrea also coached.

waterboy
11-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Jeff Traylor graduated from Gilmer High in '86 and is now the head coach / AD there. He's been pretty successful, too.

Record since Traylor took over at Gilmer in 2000: 80-14 which includes seven straight district championships and one state championship so far.

GreenMonster
11-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Hawkfan is from my hometown and he is coaching

TexDad
11-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Here are a few ex-Wimberley Texans coaching. These are the ones I can think of.

Kyle Cooper- AD Gatesville
Ryan Wilkes- Assistant Wimberley
Justin Slaughter- Assistant Wall
Shelby Fietz- ? Maybe Colony
Matt Clayton- Yoakum

jason
11-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I appreciate it Jason...

Other Former Forney Jackrabbits that are now coaching...

Justin McDaniel 1996- Flower Mound High School (Running Backs)
Kyle Abshire 1998- Waskom High School (Defensive Coordinator)
Zach Najarro 2001- Waskom High School (Linebackers/OLine)
John Garcia 1996- Grand Saline (Defensive Coordinator)
Billy Dan Chambliess 1995- Greenville (not sure what he is coaching)
Clay Beason 1991- Harding University (Linebackers) i remember watching clay play - wasnt he on the team with raphael strawberry?? they lost to slc right?

oh, and remember that time you were a senior on varsity and i was a freshman and i took your spot ;) lol

HEMOTOXIC
11-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Donald Wesley help lead the Navasota Rattlers to a 35-0 3A State Championship in basketball back in 1990. He's is now the head basketball coach for the Rattlers.

kaorder1999
11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
basketball isnt a sport....haha

Clay Beason played when they lost to Southlake in the quarterfinals. Rafael DEWBERRY played with Justin McDaniel....

jason
11-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Rafael DEWBERRY played with Justin McDaniel.... eh, i was close - hell i was only 9 years old lol.....

and basketball players are better athletes than football players....

vet93
11-09-2007, 01:50 PM
From Ballinger...

Brent Brevard - Ballinger
Brad Brevard - Flower Mound
Justin Wylie - Smithville
Aaron keesee - Pilot Point
Eric Lugo - Houston area??
Jim Slaughter - College Station
Gary Profitt - Goldthwaite
Joey McQueen - ??
Terry Strambler - Oklahoma somewhere

lostaussie
11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Jeff Traylor graduated from Gilmer High in '86 and is now the head coach / AD there. He's been pretty successful, too.

Record since Traylor took over at Gilmer in 2000: 80-14 which includes seven straight district championships and one state championship so far. we need to make that record 86-14 when this year is done. no pressure Jeff!!!!! i wonder what the fastest to 100 is:thinking: i'm sure somebody has that info at their fingertips.

44INAROW
11-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Off the top of my head:

Adam Arroyo - AD @ Skidmore/Tynan
Keven Parma - Victoria Memorial (or whatever they go by)
Michael Rabe - AD Ganado
Karl Saenz - Nixon-Smiley
Jason Gonzales - Skidmore/Tynan (is he still there?)
Clint Finley - Victoria Memorial
Trooper Taylor - CoachTennessee Volunteers

I am sure there are others - this is just what I thought of off the top of my head...

duh - I forgot a few :rolleyes:

Terrence Fryer - Cuero
Victor Mathis - Cuero
Curtis Calk - was in Cuero - now he's in San Antonio

venomous tat2
11-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Donald Wesley help lead the Navasota Rattlers to a 35-0 3A State Championship in basketball back in 1990. He's is now the head basketball coach for the Rattlers.

William Robinson who is the varisty asst for the basketball team
also played on that team .Also there are 4 other grads coaching
in Navasota Lee Lipscomb FR boys basketball , Bryan Pauler
head baseball John Branch JR High , and Chase Ganske JR High.
Thats 6 former Rattlers coaching at home. :clap: :clap: :clap:

King_LeYoeNidas
11-09-2007, 03:01 PM
yeah Coach Sapp is awesome. his first year coaching as an assistant coach was on the 81 State Championship team. He played QB for Cameron while he was in hs if I remember correctly.
He became head coach after Todd Dodge was released after the 95 season. in his hc debut in the 1996 season, we went from 3 and 7 to state quarterfinalists.

from what I heard, Scott Cummings, a 1999 graduate is now coaching as Cameron's DC.

OnceABucJr
11-09-2007, 03:11 PM
BPhill would be upset if we left out Amanda Stevens - Ingleside*

*State Tournament softball teams 99 & 01

Johnny Utah
11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
I know about that 90 Navasota Bball team all too well!! Unbelievable to go 35-0 at any level!!!

waterboy
11-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
we need to make that record 86-14 when this year is done. no pressure Jeff!!!!! i wonder what the fastest to 100 is:thinking: i'm sure somebody has that info at their fingertips.
You got that right! He definitely has the kids to get 'r done.

:thinking: 86-14 :thumbsup:

:D That sounds VERY good! :D

Anybody out there know who was the fastest to 100 wins?
Inquiring minds wanna know.

Emerson1
11-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Kaorders career is tarnished by a stint with the pirates

orangeblood
11-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Caldwell Hornets

Travis Grubbs - OC
Happy Skrabanek - Runningbacks Coach

Both Graduated from Caldwell

Rick Bivens - Former OC also graduated from Caldwell and still teaches.

crzyjournalist03
11-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Kaorders career is tarnished by a stint with the pirates

Hey, Crandall beat Forney once!!!

Just ask them to sing their fight song!

mistanice
11-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Cedric Vinson from Diboll.

Graduated in 2001, went and played for SMU. Graduated there and now is coach @ Diboll.

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
11-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by orangeblood
Caldwell Hornets

Travis Grubbs - OC
Happy Skrabanek - Runningbacks Coach

Both Graduated from Caldwell

Rick Bivens - Former OC also graduated from Caldwell and still teaches. Bobby Jack Goforth - SA John Jay Head Coach
Rickey Lock - Gonzales Head Coach
John Pineda - Pflugerville Hendrickson Head Baseball Coach
Almost forgot
Jane Anne Karasek - Caldwell Head VB Coach

Emerson1
11-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Hey, Crandall beat Forney once!!!

Just ask them to sing their fight song!
What's in it?

fury900
11-09-2007, 05:53 PM
http://www.acusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=40871&SPID=3615&DB_OEM_ID=8900&ATCLID=605257&Q_SEASON=2007

Courtesy: ACU
Release: 09/12/2006
When ACU director of athletics Jared Mosley began looking for a new head football coach after the 2004 season, he knew exactly what the program needed.

The Wildcats needed to find someone with a link to ACU, someone who could bring a unique offensive vision and a great recruiter.

He found all three in Chris Thomsen, a former ACU all-America at tight end and Wildcat assistant coach, who was hired Jan. 24, 2005, as the 18th head coach in Wildcat football history. In 2006, he led the Wildcats to an 8-3 record and the program's first berth in the NCAA Division II playoffs. Thomsen -- is 12-9 in two seasons as the Wildcats' head coach -- was named the Lone Star Conference South Division Coach of the Year, and he was also named the American Football Coaches' Association Region IV Coach of the Year.

Before re-joining the ACU coaching staff, Thomsen, 36, has been an assistant at the University of Central Arkansas the previous two seasons where he served as the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator for the Bears. UCA finished 8-3 last season in the tough Gulf South Conference, which produced NCAA Division II national champion Valdosta State (Ga.).

Thomsen was a second team all-America selection at tight end for ACU in 1993 and was named to the school's all-decade team for the 1990s. He earned a Bachelor of Science in criminal justice from Texas Christian in December 1993 and received his master's in secondary educationfrom ACU in 2000. He was on the Wildcat football staff from 1994-2000.

"I'm extremely excited about this opportunity," Thomsen said. "If I were going anywhere else besides ACU, I would probably feel a little uncomfortable about everything. But I'm at a place where I'm comfortable and where we've had some success. We've won at ACU in the past, and there's no reason to believe we can't win at ACU.

"We want to win, and believe we can win," he said. "I want our current and future players to know that our mission is to develop them as players, as student-athletes and as men. We want them to leave here knowing they got the best academic and athletic experience possible and with a tremendous sense of pride from having worn the purple and white."

Thomsen played for former ACU head coach Dr. Bob Strader in 1993 and coached under both Strader and Jack Kiser. During his seven seasons at ACU, the Wildcats were 35-37 with three winning seasons.

"I learned a lot from Coach Strader and Coach Kiser, and I'm coming from a program where I learned a lot from (UCA head coach) Clint Conque," Thomsen said. "I think I bring a lot of excitement and enthusiasm about ACU and what it represents. I also bring a knowledge of Division II football and Division II football at ACU. It's different at ACU because of some of the factors that go with being a private school.

"But I have a passion for ACU, and I'm excited to sell that passion to our players, our recruits, parents, alumni, and our students, faculty and staff," he said. "I've talked to a lot of people about, and I'm excited about bringing them into the fold and getting them involved in this program."

Conque, who hired Thomsen in 2003, was effusive in his praise for his former offensive line coach.

"The first thing about Chris is that he's a tremendous human being," said Conque, whose Bears beat ACU in three straight season-opening games from 2001-03. "He's a man with great Christian integrity, and he's a man who has the priorities of his life in the right order. He also has a great passion for the game of football, and for his players," he said. "His passion and caring for the well-being of his players will be a tremendous asset to ACU. He truly cares, and he's a tireless worker in recruiting. On the field he's a tremendous competitor. I expect Abilene Christian will be in good hands over the next several years."

Thomsen, who played high school football in Vernon, was a second team all-America as a senior at ACU in 1993 after leading Lone Star Conference tight ends in receiving with 34 catches for 426 yards and eight touchdowns. He helped the Wildcats finish 7-3 in 1993 on his way to earning first team all-LSC honors. Prior to transferring to ACU, Thomsen played football three seasons (1988-90) and baseball one season (all-America and all-Southwest Conference with 21 home runs
and a .373 batting average) at TCU before playing minor league baseball for two seasons for the Oakland Athletics.

After his playing career was finished at ACU, Thomsen joined the coaching staff, first as a graduate assistant and then working his way up to offensive line coach, recruiting coordinator, offensive coordinator, and, finally, assistant head coach. In 1998, the Wildcats finished 18th in thenation in passing under the direction of Thomsen, who was the offensive coordinator.

He left ACU after the 1999 season to go into private business, but got back into coaching in 2001 in Wichita Falls where he served as the offensive coordinator at Wichita Falls High School for two seasons. The Coyotes won back-to-back district titles and led the district in scoring both seasons (34 points per game in 2001 and 42 ppg in 2002). The Coyotes, in fact, set the school's single-season record for most points in a season in 2002, and the quarterback set the school's single-season record for touchdown passes.

Thomsen moved on to Central Arkansas in 2003 where he served as the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator. In 2003 he coached an offensive line that opened the holes for the leading rusher in the Gulf South Conference. In 2004 the Bears were an offensive juggernaut, ranking in the top 10 in NCAA Division II football in points per game (38.1) and yards per game (477.7). The Bears beat five nationally ranked teams in 2004, and set school single-game and season attendance records at Estes Stadium.

http://www.acusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=40871&SPID=3615&DB_OEM_ID=8900&ATCLID=605513&Q_SEASON=2007

Courtesy: ACU
Release: 09/12/2006
Ken Collums is in his second season as ACU's offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach after holding the same position the previous three seasons at the University of Central Arkansas.

Collums - who was the quarterbacks/wide receivers coach and passing coordinator at ACU from 1998-99 - helped the Wildcats improve their offensive performance by almost 100 yards per game last year. In 2004, ACU averaged just 278.2 yards per game, but under Collums' direction improved to 376.8 yards per game in 2005.

The Wildcats had a quarterback with two 300-yard passing days in a season for the first time since 1998, and ACU receivers went over 100 yards receiving in a game six times during the year, including a pair of 200-yard receiving days. While at Central Arkansas, Collums led the UCA Bears to some of the greatest offensive seasons in school history.

Collums, a former starting quarterback at UCA who led the Bears to the 1991 NAIA national championship, directed an offensive attack that averaged 300 yards passing per game in three of his last four seasons at UCA. The Bears were the nation's top passing team in 2001, averaging 373 yards per game. The Bears have finished in the top 10 in total offense in four of the last six seasons.

In 2002 - Collums' first year as offensive coordinator - the Bears were No. 8 nationally in points per game (37.5), No. 3 in passing yards per game (310.5) and No. 9 in total offense (446 ypg). In 2004 the Bears featured a balanced attack that racked up 38 points per game (No. 14), 477.7 ypg (No. 6), 269 passing ypg (No. 19) and 208.5 rushing ypg (No. 26).

As the offensive coordinator, Collums directed UCA quarterback Zak Clark to two of the three biggest passing days in Bears' football history, including the top performance, a 496-yard, five-touchdown effort in a Sept. 21, 2002, win over Henderson State. Clark had the third-best effort in school history on Oct. 30, 2004, when he threw for 453 yards and five touchdowns against Arkansas-Monticello.

As a collegiate player at Central Arkansas, Collums led the Bears to the 1991 NAIA national championship as a freshman. In four seasons as the starting quarterback, he led the Bears
to a combined record of 30-8-3. Collums graduated from Central Arkansas in 1995 with a B.S. in kinesiology. He received his master's in kinesiology in 1998.

A native of Vernon, Collums played for the Vernon Lions of former coach Leo Brittain, leading his team to a 29-2-1 record in his final two seasons as the starting quarterback. Collums led
Vernon to the Class 3A state championship in 1990.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Sinton has several, most of the active ones I know of also played on the 1988-1989 back-to-back state championship baseball teams. Here are just some of the ones I could think of.

Joe Henry Doria - Roma*
Juan Buendia - Taft*
Darrell Hesseltine - Skidmore-Tynan*
Eddie Hesseltine - Three Rivers
Graig Hesseltine - Ingleside*
Michael Whitehead - not sure if he is still coaching, but he was at AP then Bloomington*
Joe Ramos - was at Raymondville, I think he is now at a 5A school in the valley - Brownsville maybe?
James House - Skidmore-Tynan
Jones Reagan - Sinton

*played on the back-to-back baseball teams wow didnt realize it was that many from the baseball team. James House remember him from football and baseall.

injuredinmelee
11-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Green Monster is from my hometown and he is coaching.