PDA

View Full Version : Great Vernon Article for those future opponents

Dominicfrank
11-08-2007, 10:44 AM
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2007/nov/06/williams-rose-occasion-lions-win-over-steers/

TripleH
11-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Dominicfrank
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2007/nov/06/williams-rose-occasion-lions-win-over-steers/ From the post I have read it sounds like the Lion defense better learn to stop the run or they won't be going very far.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by TripleH
From the post I have read it sounds like the Lion defense better learn to stop the run or they won't be going very far.

They have done well this year, but have played some very good running teams.

TripleH
11-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
They have done well this year, but have played some very good running teams. Graham??

lion75
11-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Graham?? Jake Holub is the leading rusher in our area.

TripleH
11-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by lion75
Jake Holub is the leading rusher in our area.

Graham's RB broke several very long runs. He is not fast -- it was good blocking that got him through the hole and then he was a haas to bring down. I bet his average was about 9 yards per carry. The bad news was that he would run for 1 or 2 yards when he wasn't breaking a 30 yarder. So Graham would pass when they were in a long situation and not pick it up. I would have kept running him though. No need to pass.

Vernon has been good against the pass this year, but not so good against the run. But they usually do the bend but don't break style (although they broke several times last night and thus Graham's points). The defense did hold Graham out close on the goal line until the fumble and they also forced the Steers to go out on a 4th down.

After being gone and catching up on reading about some games this is what caught my eye.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Against Graham we were ready to stop the long pass and dropped our LBs into coverage, which opened up the draw which is where aboput 100 of his yards came from.

We did have trouble with Burk as well as Clyde. Both teams had very good running attacks. Of course we lost to Clyde as a result of not being able to stop them. We did beat Burk but they also had me scared and this may present a problem in the playoffs if we face a true running team. The Lion defense is pretty salty especially the secondary. But they all hit hard. We have some size and speed on defense and they have done a good job overall. They did give up some major yards against Graham, Clyde and Burk.

TripleH
11-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Against Graham we were ready to stop the long pass and dropped our LBs into coverage, which opened up the draw which is where aboput 100 of his yards came from.

We did have trouble with Burk as well as Clyde. Both teams had very good running attacks. Of course we lost to Clyde as a result of not being able to stop them. We did beat Burk but they also had me scared and this may present a problem in the playoffs if we face a true running team. The Lion defense is pretty salty especially the secondary. But they all hit hard. We have some size and speed on defense and they have done a good job overall. They did give up some major yards against Graham, Clyde and Burk. Thanks Z motion 10 out on 2, I had the opportunity to watch Vernon play once last year and their run defense was very good in the game I attended.

STANG RED
11-08-2007, 12:20 PM

We did have trouble with Burk as well as Clyde. Both teams had very good running attacks. Of course we lost to Clyde as a result of not being able to stop them. We did beat Burk but they also had me scared and this may present a problem in the playoffs if we face a true running team. The Lion defense is pretty salty especially the secondary. But they all hit hard. We have some size and speed on defense and they have done a good job overall. They did give up some major yards against Graham, Clyde and Burk.

How many graduated from last years defense Z? They were very solid! Especially against our run and nothing else offense.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure exactly which ones graduated, but I suspect that they brought back only a handfull.

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2007, 01:21 PM
We did beat Burk but they also had me scared and this may present a problem in the playoffs if we face a true running team.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

:D :devil: :D

lion75
11-08-2007, 01:29 PM
It's worth mentioning that Ray Daniels is an outstanding safety and Craig Whiteside a great linebacker who started last year on the semifinal team. Both of these guys are critical defensive componants that were lost on consecutive plays in the first 3 minutes of the second half vs. Graham. If you look at the game film, you will see that a lot of Holub's damage came after those critical losses occured. People in the Vernon stands were so worried about losing these guys from the off. backfield and I don't think they realized at the time the effect it had on run support. Daniels will come up very fast and clock you and Whiteside is an anchor, playing the same position as Demarcus Ware in Vernon's 3-4.

DaHop72
11-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by lion75
It's worth mentioning that Ray Daniels is an outstanding safety and Craig Whiteside a great linebacker who started last year on the semifinal team. Both of these guys are critical defensive componants that were lost on consecutive plays in the first 3 minutes of the second half vs. Graham. If you look at the game film, you will see that a lot of Holub's damage came after those critical losses occured. People in the Vernon stands were so worried about losing these guys from the off. backfield and I don't think they realized at the time the effect it had on run support. Daniels will come up very fast and clock you and Whiteside is an anchor, playing the same position as Demarcus Ware in Vernon's 3-4. I'm not sure of the breakdown but if I remember Holub ran for a pretty good chunk of change in the first half as well.

westcoast54
11-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Vernon is very good.

lakers
11-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I remember the williams kid last year, they would put him in if they needed a good hunk of change for the first down. He would drop back to pass and just scramble around. A lot of times it was very effective.

lion75
11-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I'm not sure of the breakdown but if I remember Holub ran for a pretty good chunk of change in the first half as well. I'm not saying he was shut down, but the big yardage in the first half came on that long pass down the left sideline.

Snydertigersrul
11-08-2007, 07:17 PM
From the post I have read it sounds like the Lion defense better learn to stop the run or they won't be going very far.

They did a good job against Graham.

:rolleyes: