PDA

View Full Version : Astros trade Lidge to Philly

Bull's-eye
11-07-2007, 11:08 PM
In return for Lidge and Bruntlett, the Astros acquired outfielder Michael Bourn, third baseman Michael Costanzo and right-handed pitcher Geoff Geary.

Bull's-eye
11-07-2007, 11:14 PM
During his first full season in the Majors, Bourn hit .277 (33-for-119) with one home run, three doubles, three triples, six RBI and 18 stolen bases in 105 games for Philadelphia. The 24-year-old, left-handed hitter has hit .268 (34-for-127) with six RBI and 19 stolen bases in 122 career games over two seasons from 2006-07. Bourn was originally selected by Houston in the 19th round of the June 2000 draft but did not sign. He was later drafted by the Phillies in 2003 in the fourth round after playing three years at the University of Houston.

Costanzo, 24, hit .270 (137-for-508) with 27 home runs and 86 RBI in 137 games for the Double-A Reading Phillies in 2007. The 2007 Eastern League All-Star ranked second in the Eastern League in home runs and third in runs scored (92). He was a second-round selection in the June 2005 draft from Coastal Carolina University.

Geary, 31, was 3-1 with a 4.41 ERA (33 ER/67.1 IP) and 38 strikeouts in 57 relief appearances for the Phillies last season. He also made 14 appearances at Triple-A Ottawa, going 2-1 with a 2.52 ERA (7 ER/25 IP) and 21 strikeouts. Geary is 13-4 with a 3.94 ERA (117 ER/267.1 IP) and one save in 216 career games over five seasons with Philadelphia. He joined the Phillies in 1998 after being selected in the 15th round of the June 1998 draft

lakers
11-07-2007, 11:17 PM
this could be interesting...

Old Tiger
11-07-2007, 11:17 PM
I don't know what more sad the fact the astros kept him that long or that someone traded with them for him.

g$$
11-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Nov. 7, 2007, 10:31PM
Astros deal Lidge, Bruntlett to Phillies

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
Chronicle News Services

Complete Astros coverage
ORLANDO — The Astros have traded closer Brad Lidge and Eric Bruntlett to the Philadelphia Phillies for three players, including former University of Houston center fielder Michael Bourn.

The Astros will hold a press conference to announce the deal in a few minutes. Third baseman Mike Costanzo and righthanded reliever Geoff Geary were also acquired in the deal.

**Here's my problem with the deal: former GM Timid Tim "Puppet" Purpura turned down a deal last year with Boston that would have yielded young RHP Clay Buchholz (Texas native from Beaumont/Orange area) & promising young OF Jacoby Ellsbury. Now we get this in return? How far Lidge has fallen. Ellsbury played great for Boston as they won the championship & Buchholz threw a no-hitter before they shut him down with a tired arm.

Bourn is a Willy Taveras clone - fine defensive OF with speed, little power & has not shown much with the stick thus far. He's from Humble & played at Univ. of Houston in college. Geary is a RH relief pitcher & I don't know the 3B Costanzo much.

This appears to mean we are not going to pursue Torri Hunter or Aaron Rowand to play CF, as reported. Be interested to hear that explanation from Drayton McLane & new GM Ed Wade. Cost too much Uncle Drayton? OF now of LF Lee, CF Bourn, & RF Pence (he does not have the arm to play RF where your best arm should be to make corner throw). I like Pence a lot but he is a LF by trade. FA pitching market is very thin, so expect more trades.

I just don't think much of this deal right now, but I will hope for the best. This club must be improved after winning 73 games. Starting pitching, defense, & middle infield must be addressed. I think Astros will make run at closer Francisco Cordero from what I read. Bullpen needs help too. Guess we'll see.**

Antec
11-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Another bad Astro trade

GoStafford
11-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Antec
Another bad Astro trade not really

Lidge was inconsistent at best. They get a decent middle reliever in the deal and a speedy center fielder that can be placed into the line up during days that El Caballo or Hunter or that Phantom LF are down. I say good trade.

Panther One
11-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Not to mention, Castanzo put up numbers in AA this year that are almost identical to the numbers that Pence put up in AA the year before last. I'm not saying he'll transition to the bigs as well and as fast as Pence, but this guy could be the Astros future 3rd baseman as early as '09.

The Astros have two young guys in Bourn and Anderson who both show a lot of promise in center. Both are also better with the bat than Taveras and bat from the left side. I'm willing to bet one of them turns into a nice table setter for our run producers. Getting a Rowand or Hunter would have been nice, but are they worth the price considering the Astros' other needs? I say no. We have two 100 RBI guys in Berkman and Lee, and Pence will produce his share of runs, too.

I think this is a great trade by the Astros. You lose a struggling closer and utility infielder for a potential starting center fielder and third baseman. Personally, I don't think the Astros needed to get into another expensive long-term commitment with a free agent. Pitching is still going to be a concern next off season, and if we manage to avoid lucrative long-term deals this offseason, we can still go out and get a free agent pitcher next year when there are better ones available.

g$$
11-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
Not to mention, Castanzo put up numbers in AA this year that are almost identical to the numbers that Pence put up in AA the year before last. I'm not saying he'll transition to the bigs as well and as fast as Pence, but this guy could be the Astros future 3rd baseman as early as '09.

The Astros have two young guys in Bourn and Anderson who both show a lot of promise in center. Both are also better with the bat than Taveras and bat from the left side. I'm willing to bet one of them turns into a nice table setter for our run producers. Getting a Rowand or Hunter would have been nice, but are they worth the price considering the Astros' other needs? I say no. We have two 100 RBI guys in Berkman and Lee, and Pence will produce his share of runs, too.

I think this is a great trade by the Astros. You lose a struggling closer and utility infielder for a potential starting center fielder and third baseman. Personally, I don't think the Astros needed to get into another expensive long-term commitment with a free agent. Pitching is still going to be a concern next off season, and if we manage to avoid lucrative long-term deals this offseason, we can still go out and get a free agent pitcher next year when there are better ones available.

I've watched Bourn since high school. He is a Willy T clone, but still young. It all comes down to pitching, & we still need a bunch of it. A whole bunch. Lidge needed a change of scenery.

I still wish the deal with Boston for Ellsbury & Buchholz would have been done by Purpura. That clown will haunt us for years, & I worked for the guy. Completely overmatched. And scared of his shadow too.

GoStafford
11-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Panther One

I think this is a great trade by the Astros. You lose a struggling closer and utility infielder for a potential starting center fielder and third baseman. Personally, I don't think the Astros needed to get into another expensive long-term commitment with a free agent. Pitching is still going to be a concern next off season, and if we manage to avoid lucrative long-term deals this offseason, we can still go out and get a free agent pitcher next year when there are better ones available

I'll take Dontrelle over not getting rowand any day. And I know how good Rowand is

g$$
11-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by GoStafford
not really

Lidge was inconsistent at best. They get a decent middle reliever in the deal and a speedy center fielder that can be placed into the line up during days that El Caballo or Hunter or that Phantom LF are down. I say good trade.

Phantom LF?

Lee will play LF, Bourn CF, & Pence RF barring more moves. Pence is not a RF but our best option now. Astros are trying to move Chris Burke too & sign a 2B as FA (Castillo, Matsui, Iguchi).

g$$
11-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by GoStafford
I'll take Dontrelle over not getting rowand any day. And I know how good Rowand is

Florida wants too much for Willis. Don't see it happening.

State_In_08
11-08-2007, 01:43 AM
I really hope this doesn't mean not pursuing Torii Hunter. I'd really love to see that guy patrolling center field on a nightly basis for the Stros. As far as second base goes... we need a speed guy at the top of the line up. I like Castillo if they can get him.

g$$
11-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by State_In_08
I really hope this doesn't mean not pursuing Torii Hunter. I'd really love to see that guy patrolling center field on a nightly basis for the Stros. As far as second base goes... we need a speed guy at the top of the line up. I like Castillo if they can get him.

I think Hunter & Rowand are out now. Stinks too because either could have helped big-time.

State_In_08
11-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I think Hunter & Rowand are out now. Stinks too because either could have helped big-time.

So very true. I had dreams of Hunter making a diving catch backwards onto Tal's Hill. :inlove:

big daddy russ
11-08-2007, 02:28 AM
Part of me is in love with the trade, the other hates it. I'm just not sure where the organization is going right now. Only three guys with any pop at the major league level (though Towles may have something to say about that), the Astros are turning into a speed team that relies on OBP.

Speed teams work better when you have good pitching.

I know, I know, Backe's coming back, but he won't turn that rotation into anything worth a darn. Sounds like Wade already saw a bunch of holes in the team and decided we needed to shore up the minors and start a youth movement before anything. Maybe this gives the Stros some ammo to go after some pitching.

But, we can't always have what we want. We got two (possible) future offensive starters and a few junk innings for a struggling closer who needed a change of scenery and a scrub. Could be worse. Like I said, at least we're getting some talent back.

g$$
11-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Part of me is in love with the trade, the other hates it. I'm just not sure where the organization is going right now. Only three guys with any pop at the major league level (though Towles may have something to say about that), the Astros are turning into a speed team that relies on OBP.

Speed teams work better when you have good pitching.

I know, I know, Backe's coming back, but he won't turn that rotation into anything worth a darn. Sounds like Wade already saw a bunch of holes in the team and decided we needed to shore up the minors and start a youth movement before anything. Maybe this gives the Stros some ammo to go after some pitching.

But, we can't always have what we want. We got two (possible) future offensive starters and a few junk innings for a struggling closer who needed a change of scenery and a scrub. Could be worse. Like I said, at least we're getting some talent back.

You nailed it - Astros are going back to speed, pitching, & defense. Remember Tal Smith is heavily involved again too. Problem is we lack the pitching right now. I agree Wade is trying to build back from the ground up. I like the philosophy at face value, but you must have the horses to do it.

SP:
Oswalt
??
Backe
Wandy
Patton/Albers/??

Need lots of pitching, esp. #2 guy! And don't say Woody Williams please. That is a horrible rotation 1-5 for MLB.

I am going to wait until further grading this trade. Let the offseason run its course. But at face value, I don't like the return. Sure not Ellsbury & Buchholz which was offered earlier.

bigron15
11-08-2007, 02:45 AM
im more of an american league guy so i will leave this one alone

g$$
11-08-2007, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by bigron15
im more of an american league guy so i will leave this one alone

That's not real baseball buddy! NL is the senior circuit you know. More strategy & less waiting on 3 run HR. Just messing with you. I do prefer NL style ball.

Old Tiger
11-08-2007, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by g$$
That's not real baseball buddy! NL is the senior circuit you know. More strategy & less waiting on 3 run HR. Just messing with you. I do prefer NL style ball. AL has all the history ;)

I'm a Yankee fan. Played on the Yankee's when I was in league ball so basically stuck with em.

g$$
11-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
AL has all the history ;)

I'm a Yankee fan. Played on the Yankee's when I was in league ball so basically stuck with em.

You played a sport? ;) J/K

Old Tiger
11-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by g$$
You played a sport? ;) J/K Little league baseball, football, and track. Tried basketball in JH but didn't care for it one bit and I'm short and white :D

bigron15
11-08-2007, 02:55 AM
but who is the better league now? i believe the AL has won the past 7 all star games. not to sure on the number though. i cant remember the NL winning an all star game

Old Tiger
11-08-2007, 02:55 AM
There was a tie not to long ago and Bud Selig made himself look like a complete idiot.

bigron15
11-08-2007, 02:57 AM
heck yea. i stayed up really late to watch that game, or so it seemed. tori hunter made an incredible catch against BB.

g$$
11-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by bigron15
but who is the better league now? i believe the AL has won the past 7 all star games. not to sure on the number though. i cant remember the NL winning an all star game

AL recently for sure. St. Louis won one & Florida twice. Other than that all AL past 10 years. Yankees & Red Sox. Still like NL ball more though. All Star Game is not a measuring stick to me. Entire year is more telling.

bigron15
11-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by g$$
AL recently for sure. St. Louis won one & Florida twice. Other than that all AL past 10 years. Yankees & Red Sox. Still like NL ball more though. All Star Game is not a measuring stick to me. Entire year is more telling.

for my 100th post just TODAY. i would like to say that the NL has more strategy but the AL is more exciting imo

g$$
11-08-2007, 04:31 AM
Nov. 7, 2007, 11:23PM
Astros deal Lidge, Bruntlett to Phillies

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
Chronicle News Services

Complete Astros coverage
ORLANDO, Fla. — In a move many Astros fans have wanted since Game 5 of the 2005 National League Championship Series and during Brad Lidge's difficult 2006 season, Lidge was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies on Wednesday night in a five-player deal that brought former University of Houston speedster Michael Bourn home.

The Astros sent Lidge and utility player Eric Bruntlett to the Phillies for Bourn, righthanded reliever Geoff Geary and third base prospect Mike Costanzo. Bourn will be the starting center fielder, moving Hunter Pence to right field and taking the Astros out of the hunt for free agents Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand.

"Honestly, it's surprising and it's kind of tough, but it's not shocking just because I knew going into the off-season this might happen," Lidge said via phone. "With a new GM this is something that I knew I had to be prepared for. I didn't want to tell myself that I wasn't going to be traded."

New Astros general manager Ed Wade has already admitted that he has contacted the agent for free agent All-Star closer Francisco Cordero.

"From the Astros' point of view, we receive a speedy center fielder, top-of-the-order bat whom we think has the ability to be a catalyst for our club a long time and hopefully set the stage for Hunter Pence and (Lance) Berkman and Carlos Lee to drive him in," said Wade, who was the general manager of the Phillies when Bourn was drafted out of UH. "It gives us again great speed, outstanding defensive center fielder and somebody that can really propel the top of the order for us.

"Geoff Geary gives us a middle relief arm, sinker, slider guy who obviously I have familiarity with (from) his time in Philadelphia and my time in Philadelphia. We think he can fit into our bullpen. Mike Costanzo was a second round draft pick in 2005, a lefthanded hitting third baseman with power. He played Double-A this year. We think he can develop into a pretty good major league hitter."

Bourn hit .277 with one home run, three doubles, three triples, six RBIs and 18 stolen bases over 105 games with the Phillies in 2007, playing mostly as a backup, defensive replacement. Geary, 31, was 3-1 with a 4.41 ERA and 38 strikeouts in 57 relief appearances in 2007. Costanzo, 24, hit .270 with 27 home runs for Class AA Reading, where he was an Eastern League All-Star.

A native on Humble, Bourn grew up playing on the same team as Carl Crawford, the Davis High graduate and All-Star left fielder of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Without Lidge, the Astros now have a hole in the late innings, although they're searching the free agent market for a closer like Cordero. Chad Qualls would appear the most likely candidate to close if another closer isn't acquired.

"The deal was made with reluctance just from the standpoint we're trading our closer away, somebody that's got a great track record in Houston," Wade said. "I'm sure he's going to be a big boost to Philadelphia's bullpen."

Lidge was an All-Star in 2005, striking out the side at Detroit's Comerica Park in his only inning of work. One of the most feared closers in baseball, he received a serious blow before a sellout crowd at Minute Maid Park for Game 5 of the National League Championship Series. One out away from sending the Astros to the World Series, he gave up a three-run home run to Albert Pujols of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Although he has denied it, many arm-chair psychologists have wondered if Pujols robbed Lidge of his confidence. Lidge struggled through the 2006 season, losing his closer's job on three separate occasions. He was handed the closer's job at the start of the 2007 season, but former manager Phil Garner stripped him of the job after the first week of the season. He regained it in June, landed on the disabled list before he could close again and then returned to the role in July.

Lidge, 30, was 5-3 with a 3.36 ERA and 19 saves in 2007. The Astros' first-round pick out of Notre Dame in 1998, he earned 123 saves for third on the franchise's all-time saves list.

He sent text messages to all the relievers late Wednesday night and spoke with a few teammates, including Brad Ausmus and Bruntlett.

"It's difficult, but I'm prepared for it," Lidge said. "I'm not totally shocked. Although I would say this, when you've been with one organization all your career, it is hard to be traded. It's still kind of sinking in right now.

"I talked to Brad Ausmus. I've actually talked to Eric Bruntlett as well. It's kind of nice for us to do it together. We've both been with the Astros for close to 10 years. We both had never been traded. We both get to do this together, and that's kind of nice."

jesus.ortiz@chron.com

themsu97
11-08-2007, 08:16 AM
the Astros have contacted Brewers Closer COrdero and have talked to the Marlins... they are moving the right direction... I would still maybe persue Rowand, but maybe not...
they will be very active this off season...

Darren
11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I was a Lidge supporter... But I think that this was the right move.

There is a rumor that Clemons might like a shot at the closer job in Houston.

big daddy russ
11-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Darren
I was a Lidge supporter... But I think that this was the right move.

There is a rumor that Clemons might like a shot at the closer job in Houston.
Clemens is retiring. He told them yesterday that he's taking a consultant job within the organization.

JasperDog94
11-08-2007, 10:25 AM
I like the fact that we have a general manager that:

a. Has a clue.
b. Isn't so stinkin' loyal to the guys in the organization that he won't consider trading them.
c. Isn't afraid to pull the trigger on a deal that makes sense.

And for the record, I like this trade overall.

JasperDog94
11-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Darren
There is a rumor that Clemons might like a shot at the closer job in Houston. You might want to check that rumor out on snoops.com.:D

crzyjournalist03
11-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
the Astros have contacted Brewers Closer COrdero and have talked to the Marlins... they are moving the right direction... I would still maybe persue Rowand, but maybe not...
they will be very active this off season...

you mean Choko Cordero???

Maroon87
11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Looks like Wade is gonna try to rebuild from the inside out. It doesn't necessarily have to be a long term rebuilding...look at the Rox and D'Backs.

g$$
11-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Looks like Wade is gonna try to rebuild from the inside out. It doesn't necessarily have to be a long term rebuilding...look at the Rox and D'Backs.

Exactly. The Astros are only as good as their minor league system & player development. Cannot live off FAs every year. Must draft & develop to flourish.

Cordero is in the mix. So are FA 2B too. Burke is on borrowed time. He has not progressed even after getting a better chance. I like Ed Wade's plan.

So glad the Puppet Purpura is long gone!

Darren
11-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Clemens is retiring. He told them yesterday that he's taking a consultant job within the organization.

Yes but Espn is reporting that he is still leaving the option to play open.

JasperDog94
11-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I like Ed Wade's plan. As do I. So far so good.:)