PDA

View Full Version : New A&M Coach? (merged)

coach
11-07-2007, 12:07 AM
to be the next aggie coach? heard that today on espn.....

i have been away from the dl for a few days so this post might be old news. thought i might just make sure but since im here now what are your thoughts?

kepdawg
11-07-2007, 12:08 AM
He's the rumored #1 target

coach
11-07-2007, 12:09 AM
yeah i also heard the ol ball coach!!

88bobcats
11-07-2007, 12:45 AM
I wonder if they've got the Aggie coaching rumors on www.snopes.com yet?

I also heard a rumor that it's conceivable that R. C. Slocum might be the defensive coordinator for Tuberville.....

Panther One
11-07-2007, 02:02 AM
We'll see if Tuberville will actually leave Auburn. If we get him, it won't come cheap. I do think it would be a better hire than the last time we went into that state for a coach. I think his style fits A&M better than some of the other established coaches' names I've heard. We'll see what happens.

CenTexSports
11-07-2007, 07:34 AM
I am not a TT fan. He did to Ole Miss what Fran did to TCU. I know coaches have dream jobs but when you commit to a school you should not leave after a year or after signing a contract extension.

A&M needs a fresh start and they need to bring in someone like Mike Singletary (so what that he is a Baptist, Phil admires Baptist). Get someone that can build a program. JMO

Old Tiger
11-07-2007, 07:36 AM
I see no reason why Tommy would leave Auburn for A&M. IMO I think this is more or less an Aggie wish that he would. They should go after a great young coach that is coming up that could bring a spark to that program such as Skip Holtz of ECU.

rancher
11-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I have heard two different insights on the situation. The first being that Tommy T has not made a statement at all that he is not interested or he is staying at Auburn. There is also the rising Tide of Sabin starting to take place. The second thought he is using this to get another contract extension and a hefty raise to near the salary of Sabin. An informed alumi told me that Gene Stallings is highly involved in the search and Byrne likes Rich Rodriguez.

charlesrixey
11-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I see no reason why Tommy would leave Auburn for A&M. IMO I think this is more or less an Aggie wish that he would. They should go after a great young coach that is coming up that could bring a spark to that program such as Skip Holtz of ECU.

agreed

what's the motivation?

i've never been terribly impressed with him anyway

wedo
11-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue

I still say the Ags should after Art Briles from UofH

State_In_08
11-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I heard someone mention Rich Rodriguez of WVU... don't tease me. lol

I think we need a young head coach to build a program here, Tommy won't leave Auburn.

wedo
11-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by State_In_08
I heard someone mention Rich Rodriguez of WVU... don't tease me. lol

I think we need a young head coach to build a program here, Tommy won't leave Auburn.

I don't think Tommy will leave Auburn either and if not mistaken rich rodriquez just signed a fat contract this past year so he ain't going nowhere! Ags would be better off with Art Briles, I think that he would Leave UofH for College Station. Fairly young coach with great offense that would fit IMO.

rancher
11-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Rich Rodriguez is only making 1.3 million. A far cry from Fran's 2 million. A Sabin like deal will land him in Aggieland. He also has no buy out clause like the 6 million buyout clause int Tommy T's contract.

Panther One
11-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Rodriguez played at WVU. I don't know if he'll be leaving there anytime soon.

crzyjournalist03
11-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think that the A&M gig holds near the prestige that it did when they hired their current coach...I don't think you'll see any big names leaving their current programs to take the job.

A young, up-and-comer is probably the smartest route for the university. (Jason Garrett?)

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 11:30 AM
In the Chronicle yesterday, they said that Tuberville, Rodriguez, Jeff Tedford, and Bo Pelini were the top candidates. Those are three of the top head coaches in the nation and the top assistant right now.

I'm hoping Tuberville keeps his job. :D With any luck, the A&M regents think the same way that most of the rest of the nation thinks... that Tuberville's an overrated coach. He's been through the ringer in Auburn, but I think he uses this to negotiate a fat raise for him and his crew.

Pelini, IMO, will wind up at either LSU (should Les Miles bolt for Michigan) or Nebraska. That leaves Rodriguez and Tedford.

Neither are the big-game coaches that Tuberville is and neither takes as many big-time risks as Tuberville, but risks don't necessarily go over well in College Station--- especially when they don't work out. Auburn's a little more tempered to the risks because they've experienced his success.

I know A&M's personnel would be a great fit for Rodriguez' scheme, but I'm not sold on Rodriguez being able to recruit against Mack and Stoops. Tedford, however, is known for his ability to recruit against the big boys in California. He also has that offense that attracts the skill kids, and right now that's what A&M is looking for.

With the way the spread offense has come on lately, there's been a dearth of top-flight WR's and QB's coming out of Texas in recent years, and fewer and fewer LB's. Personally, I'd like to see Tedford come in and turn McGee into the passing QB that we was out of HS. The only receiver that I like in this stable that's not a senior is EJ Shankle, but he's not a burner, so Tedford would have to go out and find that guy. Kerry Franks is also an option as he can make things happen better than anyone else on the outside.

But if he can convince Martellus Bennett to stay another year and keep Jovorskie down below 280, he has four of most reliable hands in the Big XII. Goodson's hands are also definitely above average for a RB, and Shankle, though not a burner, can get open.

Rodriguez' system may work from the get-go, but with the type of athletes that are coming out of Texas right now, Tedford's offense would be a better fit in Aggieland. IMO, that's why Tech's been so successful with the scraps left over after Nebraska, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, and A&M pillage the preps in-state.

It's definitely not typical Texas A&M football with the tough defense and big running game, but it's the best fit for the program with the best recruiter of the big four (well, I guess Miles is about on the same level as Tedford). BUT, if he could model his defense like Auburn's-- small, fast, and physical-- that would complement his offense perfectly.

Just my $.02.

eagles_victory
11-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Rich Rodriguez's offense is a majority run offense isnt that one of the things Aggies dont like about Fran?

Macarthur
11-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I am not a TT fan. He did to Ole Miss what Fran did to TCU. I know coaches have dream jobs but when you commit to a school you should not leave after a year or after signing a contract extension.

What do you mean? They both left for more money and a higher profile job. I think you're holding them to a standard that you wouldn't hold someone in another profession.

A&M needs a fresh start and they need to bring in someone like Mike Singletary (so what that he is a Baptist, Phil admires Baptist). Get someone that can build a program. JMO

What proof do you have that Singletary can build a program. He has no college coaching experience (recruiting) and has only been a coach in the pros for a couple of years.

To me, it's way too risky to hand a program like A&M's to a guy that has virtually no track record.

lakers
11-07-2007, 11:32 AM
i think tubervile would be a good suit for the job.

chugbug
11-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Mike Besch will be the next Aggie Coach. He was recently seen eating at the Dixie Chicken with some Aggie high-ups. :eek: :eek: :tongue: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Unfortunately, I don't think that the A&M gig holds near the prestige that it did when they hired their current coach...I don't think you'll see any big names leaving their current programs to take the job.

A young, up-and-comer is probably the smartest route for the university. (Jason Garrett?)
Crzy, A&M's definitely a top-level gig. Not only because of the money, but also because of the facilities and fan base. That's why you're hearing so many big names being thrown out there.

The stable of talent is definitely there (think Notre Dame when Charlie Weis came on... not championship caliber, but not too far behind) and the facilities were rated top five in the nation by Rivals before the season started.

Facilities go a long ways towards whether or not a coach is willing to come to a school. Facilities are what gets recruits, and that's why the Okie State gig is such a good job right now. Boone Pickens will be home to the best facilities in the nation-- by far-- when it's completed.

Traditionally, pros-to-college translates about as well as college-to-pros. June Jones has done well in Hawaii, but for every June Jones there's a Dave Wannstedt and Bill Callahan. Those guys aren't used to convincing players to come play for them, and that's 60% of the job in college ball. That's why, as a fan, I'd rather have an up-and-coming small school coach than Gary Kubiak. I just don't like the transition one bit.

Macarthur
11-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Couple of things here, Russ.

Originally posted by big daddy russ

Neither are the big-game coaches that Tuberville is and neither takes as many big-time risks as Tuberville, but risks don't necessarily go over well in College Station--- especially when they don't work out. Auburn's a little more tempered to the risks because they've experienced his success.

TT risky? TT is out of the RC Slocum mold; tough as nails defense and don't lose the game with your offense. I don't know of anyone that thinks of TT and risk in the same sentence.

With the way the spread offense has come on lately, there's been a dearth of top-flight WR's and QB's coming out of Texas in recent years, and fewer and fewer LB's. Personally, I'd like to see Tedford come in and turn McGee into the passing QB that we was out of HS. The only receiver that I like in this stable that's not a senior is EJ Shankle, but he's not a burner, so Tedford would have to go out and find that guy. Kerry Franks is also an option as he can make things happen better than anyone else on the outside.

Actually EJ Shankle is one of the fasted guys on the team. He was like a 2-time state qualifier in the 200 in HS.

But if he can convince Martellus Bennett to stay another year and keep Jovorskie down below 280, he has four of most reliable hands in the Big XII. Goodson's hands are also definitely above average for a RB, and Shankle, though not a burner, can get open.

Again, your assestment is okay, except for Shankle.

CenTexSports
11-07-2007, 11:40 AM
The fact are the facts! These were my opinions and I stand by them. I could not care less about A&M because I am neither a fan or supporter but I do have opinions about football and those are mine.

Macarthur
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
The fact are the facts! These were my opinions and I stand by them.

Well, which one of your comments is fact and which one is opinion?

I could not care less about A&M because I am neither a fan or supporter but I do have opinions about football and those are mine. ;)

You don't have to be a fan to have an opinion.

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Couple of things here, Russ.

TT risky? TT is out of the RC Slocum mold; tough as nails defense and don't lose the game with your offense. I don't know of anyone that thinks of TT and risk in the same sentence.
As an Auburn fan first and foremost, I HIGHLY disagree. He got the nickname "The Riverboat Gambler" for a reason.

He has a great defense, true, but at the same time there aren't many people who take more risks than Tuberville. Onside kicks to open the second half, going for it with just under a minute to play in the second quarter on fourth-and-nine on your own 29, etc, etc, etc. Wish I could think of more examples off the top of my head, but just ask any Auburn fan. They'll come up with 100 others. Him, Les Miles, Steve Spurrier, and Dan Hawkins are typically regarded as the biggest risk-takers in college ball.

Actually EJ Shankle is one of the fasted guys on the team. He was like a 2-time state qualifier in the 200 in HS.

Again, your assestment is okay, except for Shankle.
Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm mixing up him and Franks. One has hands, the other's the burner.

Macarthur
11-07-2007, 11:56 AM
[B]As an Auburn fan first and foremost, I HIGHLY disagree. He got the nickname "The Riverboat Gambler" for a reason.

He has a great defense, true, but at the same time there aren't many people who take more risks than Tuberville. Onside kicks to open the second half, going for it with just under a minute to play in the second quarter on fourth-and-nine on your own 29, etc, etc, etc. Wish I could think of more examples off the top of my head, but just ask any Auburn fan. They'll come up with 100 others. Him, Les Miles, Steve Spurrier, and Dan Hawkins are typically regarded as the biggest risk-takers in college ball.

Well, I'm not big Auburn fan, so I stand corrected.

Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm mixing up him and Franks. One has hands, the other's the burner.

Actually, Franks and Shankle are the burners. Taylor and P. Brown are the more steady possesion type guys.

CenTexSports
11-07-2007, 11:57 AM
The fact was that these were my opinions.

And TT did leave Ole Miss high and dry.

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Well, I'm not big Auburn fan, so I stand corrected.

Actually, Franks and Shankle are the burners. Taylor and P. Brown are the more steady possesion type guys.
Haha, and I stand corrected.

Phil C
11-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Cen I admire the Baptist Church.

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 12:10 PM
The fact was that these were my opinions.

And TT did leave Ole Miss high and dry.
You're right, but most coaches don't wait until their contract ends before going to another place. I'm sure that between Urban Meyer to UF, Ty Willingham to ND, Dan Hawkins to Colorado, Fran to Bama and then A&M, and what Les Miles will do this summer when he bolts for Michigan, no less than half will leave in the middle of a contract.

The difference between Tubbs and Fran was that Tubbs sat down with his players in a team meeting, let them know what was happening, shed a few tears, and shared some goodbyes.

Fran was like the Baltimore Colts. Just left in the middle of the night. No goodbyes, no nothing. His team found out he was gone after he left through tabloid reports. That's why Fran got labeled the way he did in Tuscaloosa.

Global Swarming
11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
There's only two words you need to know, Gary Kubiak.

eagles_victory
11-07-2007, 01:21 PM
You're right, but most coaches don't wait until their contract ends before going to another place. I'm sure that between Urban Meyer to UF, Ty Willingham to ND, Dan Hawkins to Colorado, Fran to Bama and then A&M, and what Les Miles will do this summer when he bolts for Michigan, no less than half will leave in the middle of a contract.

The difference between Tubbs and Fran was that Tubbs sat down with his players in a team meeting, let them know what was happening, shed a few tears, and shared some goodbyes.

Fran was like the Baltimore Colts. Just left in the middle of the night. No goodbyes, no nothing. His team found out he was gone after he left through tabloid reports. That's why Fran got labeled the way he did in Tuscaloosa. dont see that happening with Miles going to Michigan you talk like its a done deal

Old Tiger
11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
There's only two words you need to know, Gary Kubiak. Not happening.

State_In_08
11-07-2007, 01:45 PM
I would accept any of the big names mentioned in this thread... all of them are better than Franchione.

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
dont see that happening with Miles going to Michigan you talk like its a done deal
There's a huge buyout in his contract with LSU, but there's one huuuuge clause... he can bolt for his alma mater, Michigan, any time, anywhere, without any penalties. He's free and clear to go, and you can bet his phone line will be the first to light up when/if Lloyd Carr steps down.

It's a win/win situation for both Miles and Michigan. They get an elite coach, don't have to pony up for the buyout, and he gets to coach where he's always wanted to coach. He's come out and said it numerous times.

The only way I could see it not happening is if Carr stayed on (very unlikely) or Miles tanked or did something absolutely retarted from here on out.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-07-2007, 02:01 PM
There's a huge buyout in his contract with LSU, but there's one huuuuge clause... he can bolt for his alma mater, Michigan, any time, anywhere, without any penalties. He's free and clear to go, and you can bet his phone line will be the first to light up when/if Lloyd Carr steps down.

It's a win/win situation for both Miles and Michigan. They get an elite coach, don't have to pony up for the buyout, and he gets to coach where he's always wanted to coach. He's come out and said it numerous times.

The only way I could see it not happening is if Carr stayed on (very unlikely) or Miles tanked or did something absolutely retarted from here on out.

I personally think that Lloyd Carr is a great coach, but that's just me.

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I personally think that Lloyd Carr is a great coach, but that's just me.
So do I. I'm happy with a coach that gets nine or ten wins a year, but the folks up in Ann Arbor aren't.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in College Station if he's not too burned out from the Michigan fiasco. I know he's old, but he can still recruit and he can still coach.

Old Tiger
11-07-2007, 02:08 PM
So do I. I'm happy with a coach that gets nine or ten wins a year, but the folks up in Ann Arbor aren't.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in College Station if he's not too burned out from the Michigan fiasco. I know he's old, but he can still recruit and he can still coach. Expectations kill coaches at places like Texas, Michigan, and etc. because fans and alumni expect these programs to produce national titles and when that does not happen people tend to get antsy. Basically always wanting more.

rancher
11-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Auburn has not lost a coach to another university since 1929. Tommy T will use this to get a good raise for himself and his assistants. He will also use this for better fac. for the program. Im now hearing the name of Peterson from Boise State. He is on making in the 800,000 range and is an has a great record.

Gobbla2001
11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Damn, never thought about the miles to mich carr to A&M possibility... but like you mentioned, if he's not burned out...

Bo Pelini would be a pretty good one... if Bill Callahan says he's going to keep holding that Nebraska job hostage (like has been reported, even with a great buyout offer), Pelini will be lookin' to take over a program... but I think they get Callahan out of there somehow and let's face it, what would you say yes to?:

A.) Some no name AD and other boosters from a couple of major Universities asking if you want the job?

B.) Tom Freaking Osbourne coming up and saying "Hey, Bo, wondering if you'd like to come up here rescue the black-shirts..."\

C.) Tom FREAKING Osbourne

As for Rodriguez I doubt he goes anywhere... he's got a great system installed at a university he went to, I just don't see him leaving until they make him leave, and that won't be this year...

Kubiak? He gave a pretty good answer yesterday when asked, "I love A&M etc... but my loyalty is with the Houston Texans"... he didn't say "I'm just focussed on the bye-week" or "I'm more worried about Johnson and Shaub getting healthy right now, not the A&M job"... you can pretty much bet on him not leaving the Texans this year...

Speaking of the Texans, how about Mike Sherman? That's been another rumor, but I think Sherman might want to stay put in the NFL... could be wrong...

Art Briles? I dunno, do you go for that? He's done good at U of H... not a bad job of recruiting, damn good coaching and that's good for a confrence leading team who still can't fill their stands... but I don't think it's the right time for Briles... just me... he's playing in a confrence with a buncha offense and little defense (great confrence for Tech), I dunno if A&M bites on that...

I'm sorry, Russ, but I think it's Tubbs... you may be right about him just trying to get him some goods at Auburn for the future by keeping his name in the hat, but I think he's gone... might not know until late January... he may have his eyes on what miles does at LSU, could be looking for that one...

As for the Ags? I think Tubbs would be a great fit at A&M... One thing the aggies miss the most is the "wrecking-crew"... Tubbs can bring that back... and I guarantee you he'll play players like Goodson instead of lettin' 'em stand on the sidelines with their helmets off all day... had they had a coach like Tubbs to begin with, McGee would have great passing stats and atleast one big 12 championship appearance...

A&M is gunna throw a ton of green on the table for TT I believe... I think he's taking it...

and ev - it's not that they don't want a running game, they just want one that makes sense...

Txbroadcaster
11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Evryone is assuming Carr is out..Well UM has turned it around and if they pull of the upset of OSU, unless he wants out he is not going anywhere

The TT rumor is big because some say with Saban at UA, he will bolt to an "easier" situation...Uhh Texas and OU is not easier to recruit agianst right now

Simple fact is, Texas and A&M RARELY are both up..usually one is on way up or at top, while other is on way down or close to bottom, mainly because they are fighting 100% for same to players, so TT wont have it easier IMO at A&M compared to Auburn

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Evryone is assuming Carr is out..Well UM has turned it around and if they pull of the upset of OSU, unless he wants out he is not going anywhere

The TT rumor is big because some say with Saban at UA, he will bolt to an "easier" situation...Uhh Texas and OU is not easier to recruit agianst right now

Simple fact is, Texas and A&M RARELY are both up..usually one is on way up or at top, while other is on way down or close to bottom, mainly because they are fighting 100% for same to players, so TT wont have it easier IMO at A&M compared to Auburn
The biggest thing that Michigan fans are complaining about is that Carr only has one win against Ohio State since Jim Tressel came to Columbus. I'm really rooting for him because he's such a class act and just a good guy all around. If UM wins out and goes to the Rose Bowl (heck, the NC isn't out of the question the way this season has gone), then he'll probably stay on.

He's brought a National Championship to Ann Arbor and they're consistently a top ten team. I like Carr and I hope the Michigan fans come to appreciate him.

And rancher, I never thought about Peterson, but he's a low risk, high reward guy. Be nice to see him there.

eagles_victory
11-07-2007, 02:36 PM

Simple fact is, Texas and A&M RARELY are both up..usually one is on way up or at top, while other is on way down or close to bottom, mainly because they are fighting 100% for same to players, so TT wont have it easier IMO at A&M compared to Auburn thats a very good point about texas and a&m not usually being up at the same time when is the last time they met when both were in the top ten or 15

eagles_victory
11-07-2007, 02:38 PM
The biggest thing that Michigan fans are complaining about is that Carr only has one win against Ohio State since Jim Tressel came to Columbus. I'm really rooting for him because he's such a class act and just a good guy all around. If UM wins out and goes to the Rose Bowl (heck, the NC isn't out of the question the way this season has gone), then he'll probably stay on.

He's brought a National Championship to Ann Arbor and they're consistently a top ten team. I like Carr and I hope the Michigan fans come to appreciate him.

And rancher, I never thought about Peterson, but he's a low risk, high reward guy. Be nice to see him there. i dont understand why people are all over Carrs back i mean yea they lost the first 2 games but look how they have turned it around.

Also consider who they lost the first two games against: the number 3 team in the country, and the defending national champs

Panther One
11-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Tuberville would have an easier time recruiting at A&M as opposed to Auburn. For one, he will be able to steal a few from Brown and Stoops. Fran won a few recruiting battles with those schools early on, but when the on-field performance kept slipping, no one was buying what Fran was selling. Also, think about all the top level talent that leaves the state each year that just might give A&M a look with Tuberville as head coach. This state produces enough talent to make Texas, OU, and A&M all title contenders.

And on top of better recruiting, he'll also be coaching in an easier conference. While several schools are on the way up, the Big XII still doesn't rival the SEC in terms of parity from top to bottom. I'd still rather face Kansas or Mizzou over any of the top six schools in the SEC.

And finally, you have the rival issue. Tubs has owned Aalabama of late. With Saban taking over, that's going to change rather quickly. It's basically going to boil down to coaching against a rival coached by Nick Saban or a rival coached by Mack Brown. I know my choice. I'd rather face Mack's team any day over Saban's, especially while Greg Davis is Mack's OC. Had it not been for Vince Young, GD and maybe even Mack, would have been shown the door. If Texas ever fires GD and brings in Major Applewhite, I think even Stoops would start to worry.

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 04:54 PM
i dont understand why people are all over Carrs back i mean yea they lost the first 2 games but look how they have turned it around.

Also consider who they lost the first two games against: the number 3 team in the country, and the defending national champs
And those two losses sure seem like a long time ago, don't they?

Old Tiger
11-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Not beat Ohio State is what has Carr on the hot seat.

eagles_victory
11-07-2007, 04:56 PM
And those two losses sure seem like a long time ago, don't they? yea they really do lets also keep in mind he has won games without Henne and without Hart. He even won the Little Brown Jug with neither playing

g$$
11-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
agreed

what's the motivation?

i've never been terribly impressed with him anyway

Might want to check his record against Top 10 teams - something like 9-2 overall. Mixed in a 13-0 season too. Fared very well in the rugged SEC with a championship & some title games. I like him a lot. Would bring back the defensive philosophy we need again.

Money, he liked A&M before as DC for 1 year, & disgust with Auburn for the way they treated him in Petrino deal are all reasons he would come to A&M. A&M has deeper pockets then Auburn too by far. Buyout is a sticking point though if true.

I want a proven coach with some young blood on his staff full of great recruiters. A&M is a place you can win. S&C program must be overhauled too. Just bring on change ASAP!

Txbroadcaster
11-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Tuberville would have an easier time recruiting at A&M as opposed to Auburn. For one, he will be able to steal a few from Brown and Stoops. Fran won a few recruiting battles with those schools early on, but when the on-field performance kept slipping, no one was buying what Fran was selling. Also, think about all the top level talent that leaves the state each year that just might give A&M a look with Tuberville as head coach. This state produces enough talent to make Texas, OU, and A&M all title contenders.

And on top of better recruiting, he'll also be coaching in an easier conference. While several schools are on the way up, the Big XII still doesn't rival the SEC in terms of parity from top to bottom. I'd still rather face Kansas or Mizzou over any of the top six schools in the SEC.

And finally, you have the rival issue. Tubs has owned Aalabama of late. With Saban taking over, that's going to change rather quickly. It's basically going to boil down to coaching against a rival coached by Nick Saban or a rival coached by Mack Brown. I know my choice. I'd rather face Mack's team any day over Saban's, especially while Greg Davis is Mack's OC. Had it not been for Vince Young, GD and maybe even Mack, would have been shown the door. If Texas ever fires GD and brings in Major Applewhite, I think even Stoops would start to worry.

If I was an A&M Fan I would not want a coach who is wanting to be your coach because he is afraid of teams in another conference so he is tucking tail and running

g$$
11-07-2007, 05:05 PM
In the Chronicle yesterday, they said that Tuberville, Rodriguez, Jeff Tedford, and Bo Pelini were the top candidates. Those are three of the top head coaches in the nation and the top assistant right now.

I'm hoping Tuberville keeps his job. :D With any luck, the A&M regents think the same way that most of the rest of the nation thinks... that Tuberville's an overrated coach. He's been through the ringer in Auburn, but I think he uses this to negotiate a fat raise for him and his crew.

Pelini, IMO, will wind up at either LSU (should Les Miles bolt for Michigan) or Nebraska. That leaves Rodriguez and Tedford.

I know A&M's personnel would be a great fit for Rodriguez' scheme, but I'm not sold on Rodriguez being able to recruit against Mack and Stoops. Tedford, however, is known for his ability to recruit against the big boys in California. He also has that offense that attracts the skill kids, and right now that's what A&M is looking for.

Rodriguez' system may work from the get-go, but with the type of athletes that are coming out of Texas right now, Tedford's offense would be a better fit in Aggieland. IMO, that's why Tech's been so successful with the scraps left over after Nebraska, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, and A&M pillage the preps in-state.

It's definitely not typical Texas A&M football with the tough defense and big running game, but it's the best fit for the program with the best recruiter of the big four (well, I guess Miles is about on the same level as Tedford). BUT, if he could model his defense like Auburn's-- small, fast, and physical-- that would complement his offense perfectly.

Just my $.02.

Great post Russ, & agreed. A&M will get a name coach in the end. I do believe us fans must be patient though. With change comes transition usually, but any upward progress would be embraced! Bring on change.

Txbroadcaster
11-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Great post Russ, & agreed. A&M will get a name coach in the end. I do believe us fans must be patient though. With change comes transition usually, but any upward progress would be embraced! Bring on change.

I said it earlier this year..Fran reminded me so much of John Mackovic at Texas, he never fit in and people never connected with him..Hopefully now A&M gets their version of Mack Brown..because people can say what they want about Mack, but he reconnected the alumni base, Royal, and pulled Texas up from an also ran to a point where two 10-2 seasons are consdiered down years

g$$
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM

Great post & agreed. Plenty of talent to go around. Our state produces close to 400 D1 kids each year. You can only have 85/25 on scholarship.

Boise State's Peterson is too risky right now for me. All O & little D too.

g$$
11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
I said it earlier this year..Fran reminded me so much of John Mackovic at Texas, he never fit in and people never connected with him..Hopefully now A&M gets their version of Mack Brown..because people can say what they want about Mack, but he reconnected the alumni base, Royal, and pulled Texas up from an also ran to a point where two 10-2 seasons are consdiered down years

No doubt - I said it after year 2 with Fran. He is our Mackovic. He never connected with A&M & hs coaches hate him. He is aloof & stand-offish. That does not play well in our state. I've met the guy & one of my best friends left his staff. He is an A #1 jerk.

A new coach can rally the troops & get back in touch with his coaching lifeblood - Texas HS Coaches for recruiting.

I expect a big-name hire announced after the Texas game.

Txbroadcaster
11-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by g$$
No doubt - I said it after year 2 with Fran. He is our Mackovic. He never connected with A&M & hs coaches hate him. He is aloof & stand-offish. That does not play well in our state. I've met the guy & one of my best friends left his staff. He is an A #1 jerk.

A new coach can rally the troops & get back in touch with his coaching lifeblood - Texas HS Coaches for recruiting.

I expect a big-name hire announced after the Texas game.

I would love to see a new coach name Slocum the DC

Panther One
11-07-2007, 05:37 PM
If I was an A&M Fan I would not want a coach who is wanting to be your coach because he is afraid of teams in another conference so he is tucking tail and running
I don't think anyone said anything about him being afraid...just taking an opportunity to be more successful. If there were a playoff system, the conference you were in really wouldn't matter that much because at the end of the year, everything would be proven on the field. But in the BCS, it's all about wins and losses, so if you're trying to get into the national championship picture each year, it makes sense to move to an easier conference. That's not tucking tail and running. It's positioning yourself to win a national championship.

Txbroadcaster
11-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't think anyone said anything about him being afraid...just taking an opportunity to be more successful. If there were a playoff system, the conference you were in really wouldn't matter that much because at the end of the year, everything would be proven on the field. But in the BCS, it's all about wins and losses, so if you're trying to get into the national championship picture each year, it makes sense to move to an easier conference. That's not tucking tail and running. It's positioning yourself to win a national championship.

Oh I agree..just was taking a fun poke at A&M fans..I like TT and think he would be a good hire for A&M

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 05:53 PM
yea they really do lets also keep in mind he has won games without Henne and without Hart. He even won the Little Brown Jug with neither playing
Preach on, brother.

Originally posted by g$$
Might want to check his record against Top 10 teams - something like 9-2 overall. Mixed in a 13-0 season too. Fared very well in the rugged SEC with a championship & some title games. I like him a lot. Would bring back the defensive philosophy we need again.

Money, he liked A&M before as DC for 1 year, & disgust with Auburn for the way they treated him in Petrino deal are all reasons he would come to A&M. A&M has deeper pockets then Auburn too by far. Buyout is a sticking point though if true.

I want a proven coach with some young blood on his staff full of great recruiters. A&M is a place you can win. S&C program must be overhauled too. Just bring on change ASAP!
Tubbs has kept his mouth shut on the Petrino deal the whole time. Hasn't said a peep, and you can bet he'll be rewarded for that, whether or not he stays at Auburn.

As far as the records go, Tuberville's 6-2 against top five teams during his tenure at Auburn, and one of those losses was just a couple of weeks ago in Baton Rouge to the number four team. He was 6-1 after the win against Florida. In this century, he has five SEC Western Division titles and an outright SEC Title to go along with that perfect season.

Check out this paragraph from his bio on the Auburn website:

Tuberville accomplished these feats while playing 24 percent of his games against top 10 opponents and 34 percent against teams ranked in the nation's top 25. His Auburn record stands at 71-29 while his overall record in 12 years as a head coach is 96-49. Remarkably, Tuberville has won eight of his last nine games against top 10 teams, including 14 of his last 19.

Plainly stated, in eight seasons at Auburn, Tuberville has built a program that excels both on and off the field.

Of course, some of those number have changed this year. He's now 10-2 against top ten teams (both losses have been to teams ranked in the top five) in the last 12 and 15-6 in his last 19.

Basically, he's the polar opposite of Fran. For whatever reason, he's the biggest big game coach in the nation. He owns Florida, owns 'Bama, and has gone blow-for-blow with every other big name school in the SEC (most notably going 5-3 against rival Georgia and 4-4 against LSU).

Trust me Terry, he's not scared of Saban. If anyone in the SEC can truly say that, it's Tubbs. He took a few Western Division titles away from Saban during Saban's LSU days (you know, back when he had all of the Louisiana recruits and most of western Mississippi to himself). LSU as a program has never taken two in a row from Tubbs.

g$$
11-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Good info. Russ, as always.

Tuberville's record in big games vs. ranked teams says it all to me. The man can coach & recruit. I like his demeanor, his fire, his class, all of it. Hope we can lure him away from your "other" school! Where does Muschamp end up you think?

Macarthur
11-07-2007, 06:08 PM
TT is my first choice, too. However, I'm really starting to think my next favorite is Paul Johnson at Navy.

Check out some of his bio:

Johnson took over a program that had posted a 1-20 record the previous two years before his arrival in 2002. After a 2-10 mark in his first year, the Navy football program has achieved what many thought was no longer possible at an Academy, as Johnson has brought the Midshipmen back into the national spotlight with a 35-15 (.700) record over the last four years and has led Navy to a school-record four-straight bowl games and a school-record four-consecutive Commander-In-Chief's Trophies. The 35 wins are the second most in program history over a four-year time span.

Johnson has dominated the other two Service Academies like no other coach in the school's annals posting a 9-1 (.900) overall record, including a perfect 5-0 mark against rival Army. Last year's senior class was the first in school history to post a perfect 8-0 mark against Army and Air Force.

Johnson's .744 career winning percentage (99-34) ranks 10th among all active coaches, while a win over Temple in the season opener this fall would make him the 26th-fastest coach to reach 100 wins in NCAA history.

I'm telling ya, his 35-15 record over the last four years and 9-1 versus the other service academies is pretty remarkable.

With all that info, keep in mind how limited he is with recruiting. He lines up at least 7-9 times a year against teams with a talent edge, and sometimes that talent deficit is significant. And that 9-1 record against the service academies, tells me that with comperable talent, his teams win at a very high %.

big daddy russ
11-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good info. Russ, as always.

Tuberville's record in big games vs. ranked teams says it all to me. The man can coach & recruit. I like his demeanor, his fire, his class, all of it. Hope we can lure him away from your "other" school! Where does Muschamp end up you think?
If Tubbs bolts and he doesn't go with him, I'd expect to see him in the fold at Auburn. No doubt Bobby Petrino will be the first guy they contact, but he just started in at Atlanta. Doubt he'd take the position, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Other schools I wouldn't be surprised to hear include Georgia Tech (he's a Georgia boy, after all), LSU (though he'd probably be in their second tier of coaching possibilities), Ole Miss if they decide to get rid of Orgeron (still too early IMO), and... get this... Baylor!

In my opinion, the only high level job that will be offered him would be the Auburn gig. I think GT's a step down, but could realistically happen, but I think a school like Baylor or Ole Miss, a BCS school without the football tradition of an LSU or A&M, would be a more likely destination.

Also, and this is a huge outside shot, I think he'll get a call from UCLA. Dorrell's just not working out down there in LA and maybe the PAC-10's ready to give a defensive coach a shot. His defensive scheme works well with the type of athletes that litter SoCal (fast and quick) and he may bring a little smashmouth to the left coast.

Just a thought, though, nothing more.

Honestly, I think that if A&M lands Tubbs, they're going to pony up big-time for Muschamp. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him making seven figures as a DC. Someone's going to have to come up with big money and a phenomenal situation (see Ole Miss-- they've been outrecruiting everyone the past few years) to lure Muschamp away from either Tubbs or Auburn.

g$$
11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
TT is my first choice, too. However, I'm really starting to think my next favorite is Paul Johnson at Navy.

Check out some of his bio:

Johnson took over a program that had posted a 1-20 record the previous two years before his arrival in 2002. After a 2-10 mark in his first year, the Navy football program has achieved what many thought was no longer possible at an Academy, as Johnson has brought the Midshipmen back into the national spotlight with a 35-15 (.700) record over the last four years and has led Navy to a school-record four-straight bowl games and a school-record four-consecutive Commander-In-Chief's Trophies. The 35 wins are the second most in program history over a four-year time span.

Johnson has dominated the other two Service Academies like no other coach in the school's annals posting a 9-1 (.900) overall record, including a perfect 5-0 mark against rival Army. Last year's senior class was the first in school history to post a perfect 8-0 mark against Army and Air Force.

Johnson's .744 career winning percentage (99-34) ranks 10th among all active coaches, while a win over Temple in the season opener this fall would make him the 26th-fastest coach to reach 100 wins in NCAA history.

I'm telling ya, his 35-15 record over the last four years and 9-1 versus the other service academies is pretty remarkable.

With all that info, keep in mind how limited he is with recruiting. He lines up at least 7-9 times a year against teams with a talent edge, and sometimes that talent deficit is significant. And that 9-1 record against the service academies, tells me that with comperable talent, his teams win at a very high %.

NOT for me. Johnson has done a great job at a service academy running an outdated offense (has to due to talent level) & I give him credit for that. A&M needs to bring in a big-game coach from a reputable conference. You cannot recruit skill kids to play in that offense.

Tuberville is 1st, Sherman 2nd for me.

g$$
11-07-2007, 06:26 PM
If Tubbs bolts and he doesn't go with him, I'd expect to see him in the fold at Auburn. No doubt Bobby Petrino will be the first guy they contact, but he just started in at Atlanta. Doubt he'd take the position, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Other schools I wouldn't be surprised to hear include Georgia Tech (he's a Georgia boy, after all), LSU (though he'd probably be in their second tier of coaching possibilities), Ole Miss if they decide to get rid of Orgeron (still too early IMO), and... get this... Baylor!

In my opinion, the only high level job that will be offered him would be the Auburn gig. I think GT's a step down, but could realistically happen, but I think a school like Baylor or Ole Miss, a BCS school without the football tradition of an LSU or A&M, would be a more likely destination.

Also, and this is a huge outside shot, I think he'll get a call from UCLA. Dorrell's just not working out down there in LA and maybe the PAC-10's ready to give a defensive coach a shot. His defensive scheme works well with the type of athletes that litter SoCal (fast and quick) and he may bring a little smashmouth to the left coast.

Just a thought, though, nothing more.

Honestly, I think that if A&M lands Tubbs, they're going to pony up big-time for Muschamp. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him making seven figures as a DC. Someone's going to have to come up with big money and a phenomenal situation (see Ole Miss-- they've been outrecruiting everyone the past few years) to lure Muschamp away from either Tubbs or Auburn.

Gotcha, I hope he comes with Tuberville to Aggieland!

SWMustang
11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Do you think Art Briles would be a good fit?

wildstangs
11-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Do you think Art Briles would be a good fit?

Better at Texas Tech. Here would be a scenario. Leach takes the UCLA job, Briles to Tech, and Frannie to U of H.

zebrablue2
11-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by wedo
I still say the Ags should after Art Briles from UofH

agreed. I believe briles would be the perfect fit for the ags. texas accent and all. he would get a lot more texas boys to stay at home.

g$$
11-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
agreed. I believe briles would be the perfect fit for the ags. texas accent and all. he would get a lot more texas boys to stay at home.

Really good guy, offense too gimmicky. Perfect fit for UH or lesser school in a weaker conference. Never win BIG with that offense over long haul. I mean like year in, year out. Tech struggles with power programs for the same reason. But they do put up huge #s along the way.

Would love to get his S&C coach back to Aggieland: former Aggie & NFL player Larry Jackson.

Macarthur
11-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
NOT for me. Johnson has done a great job at a service academy running an outdated offense (has to due to talent level) & I give him credit for that. A&M needs to bring in a big-game coach from a reputable conference. You cannot recruit skill kids to play in that offense.

Tuberville is 1st, Sherman 2nd for me.

Actually, that's a big misconception about P. Johnson.

When he was the OC at Hawaii, they set almost all the school records for passing until June Jones showed up.

He uses the option at Navy because he can't recruit anything else. He has to take kids that no one wants.

Here's a good article on him:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/27/AR2006102701647.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/504983.html

I've read about a half a dozen sites this week that hail him as one of the top coaches in the country.

Gobbla2001
11-07-2007, 10:15 PM
I buy your arguements almost every time, TXBC, but I can't on this issue... A&M and UT - one always down and the other up could change VERY quickly... look at Kansas... Fran wasn't recruiting well enough and now Kansas has all of the Texans whuppin' ass as Jayhawks... look at OU... 43 Texans, 31 Oklahomos on the team...

Tubberville has something both stoops and mack have right now -a 13-0 season... his record alone will help his recruiting... he has been in College Station before, he won't be coming in blindly (if he does, which I believe he will)...

As for him being afraid of Saban? that's just silly (I know you didn't say that, but you replied to it)... the fact is that every year (esspecially since 13-0) he's been hit with the "this isn't good enough, coach" bat... I think he's seen as much pressure out of that job as he can stomache anymore... he's ready to move on and A&M is gunna be the buyer...

I'm a UT dude... for UT's sake vs. A&M I DON'T want to see Tubbs there... but then again, I'm a football fan, from Texas, and it just aint right unless A&M is atleast decent... plus Tubbs presence will pressure Mack a bit and maybe raise the level of competition over in Austin... I'm all for that...