PDA

View Full Version : Cuero 06 vs Cuero 07

footballgal
11-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Which in your honest opinion is/was better?

gtown
11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Hard to say. Last years team beat us by more (stepped on us really) but we (Gonzales) have a better team this year. They are not to be taken lightly that's for sure. The running back is really fast and the young quarterback is good. Bottom line, I'm not sure.

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
wait till the season is over and talk about it

Old Green
11-06-2007, 03:36 PM
I think this year's team is more explosive on offense. They've scored more points than last years team. I'd say about the same as the 06 team.

Bull Butter
11-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
wait till the season is over and talk about it

I think she wants an answer now, because Port Isabel may meet up with Cuero in Round 2

Panther One
11-06-2007, 03:52 PM
In terms of facing a running team like us, the defense was much better in 2006; bigger and more athletic. This year, we were able to pound away inside on them and move the ball, unlike last year when they pretty much shut down the inside running game. Some of that can probably be attributed to our youth and inexperience last year as opposed to this year's team, but I still feel they had a better defense last year for stopping our offense. However, they didn't fair too well against Wimberley's spread offense in the playoffs, so perhaps being a little smaller and quicker this year will help in that regard.

Offensively, I think they are better this year. Their runningback is small, but very quick...better than Olguin in my opinion. And the freshman QB really impressed me with his passing ability. He's not the athlete that Noack was, but a better passer. They hit us with stuff early this year that we hadn't seen from them and weren't prepared for and had some quick scoring drives on us. We were able to adjust and slow them down later in the game, but it's still a very dangerous offense and they seem to be willing to open things up a little more this year.

I think they should win region IV this year, but I'm not sure they'll get by the region III winner. I think they match up better against Giddings and WOS, should one of them win the region, but I don't like them against La Vega. Of course, there's a lot of football to be played before the state semis.

Old Green
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
In terms of facing a running team like us, the defense was much better in 2006; bigger and more athletic. This year, we were able to pound away inside on them and move the ball, unlike last year when they pretty much shut down the inside running game. Some of that can probably be attributed to our youth and inexperience last year as opposed to this year's team, but I still feel they had a better defense last year for stopping our offense. However, they didn't fair too well against Wimberley's spread offense in the playoffs, so perhaps being a little smaller and quicker this year will help in that regard.

Offensively, I think they are better this year. Their runningback is small, but very quick...better than Olguin in my opinion. And the freshman QB really impressed me with his passing ability. He's not the athlete that Noack was, but a better passer. They hit us with stuff early this year that we hadn't seen from them and weren't prepared for and had some quick scoring drives on us. We were able to adjust and slow them down later in the game, but it's still a very dangerous offense and they seem to be willing to open things up a little more this year.

I think they should win region IV this year, but I'm not sure they'll get by the region III winner. I think they match up better against Giddings and WOS, should one of them win the region, but I don't like them against La Vega. Of course, there's a lot of football to be played before the state semis. Thanks Panther. You said it better than me.:thumbsup: :D

footballgal
11-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I think she wants an answer now, because Port Isabel may meet up with Cuero in Round 2

;)

and thanks Panther One, for your insight.

Panther One
11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Cuero's QB is a sophomore, btw. I called him a freshman in my previous post.

Gobbla2001
11-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I 2nd panther one for the most part, very good job on that analysis... but I'll try and go a tad deeper just for kicks...

the defense has gotten a bit better, but the biggest problem vs. last year is that this year we go both ways a bit more... though our defense stopped Liberty Hill more last year and in '05, Liberty Hill still racked up big yardage in both of those games... this year they made less mistakes, which makes them the better team in this year's meeting...

but the fact still remains, there is not a better team in 3A at running that offense, and not many run it period... so I feel very confident in what Cuero can do in the playoffs defensively...

offensively? if we hold on to the ball (which we've been doing as of late) you're gunna have to put up atleast 35 to beat Cuero in my opinion... not saying they can't be stopped, but at this point I can't see many teams doing it... but I guess that it, like anything, can happen...

Cuero has two other things on their side that last year's team didn't have... #1 they FEEL underrated (whether they are or not is up to the rest of this season)... they're out of the top 10 (first time for a Cuero team to be out of the top 10 since '04), yet feel that losing to a defending state champ and a playoff-bound (almost) 4A team that is loaded with athletes isn't that bad of a deal and that they're being taken lightly... add to the mix that this team is heads above shoulders as emotional as any Cuero team has been the last four years (9-2, 14-1, 13-1, 12-1), this team is geared to let it all loose in the playoffs...

I'm not saying State Champs, because I haven't seen the Region 3 or 1/2 reps we may face, but I wouldn't be shocked a bit if these boys didn't lose another game this year...

As for our sophmore QB... I hope he NEVER reads this, but I think the dude is going to be a heavy recruit by many D1's his senior year... 1600 yards passing isn't much, but in a balanced attack offense it is... 16 td's and 0 INT's with a near 70% completion rate... he is smart, mobile, athletic and has enough arm to get it done at the next level... I am very interested in seeing what happens with this guy in his future...

HM33
11-06-2007, 08:02 PM
IMO, I think that Cuero is much more explosive on offense this year, and that is becuase of Tyler (QB). This kid is by far the best QB that cuero has had in a long long time. Watching him throw the ball is amazing. It looks as if he just flips his wrist over and the ball flys 40 yds down the field. He is also very athletic and the amazing thing is that he still has TWO years to develope. I also agree with Gobbla2001, If he stays on the right path he will be a big D1 recruit. I thought that the two QB's before him were great QB's. Schumacher was a good athlete and a great leader. Noack had awesome athlete but I didn't think of him as a good leader (such as Schu). I have only seen Tyler play a few games but from what I have seen, by his Senior year he WILL be the leader and he has already shown he has the athletic ability.

Now the defense. I think that the defense hasn't bloomed yet. Yeah its late in the season but they arnt what the were a few years back. Pass defense isn't strong and with pretty much the entire line going both ways its hard to keep fresh and good legs on the field. The defense could use a little help, but thats ok cuz the Offense is making up for what they lack.

HM33
11-06-2007, 08:03 PM
OH and the '04 team beats em' all :) hahahahaha

Gobbla2001
11-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by HM33
OH and the '04 team beats em' all :) hahahahaha

gee, I wonder why, ha...

glad I'm not the only one thinking that Arndt is gunna be big time...

depends on what kind of receivers and line we give him his last two years... if not too good, he'll get recruited somewhere... gotta think the dude is NFL bound, just looks solid...

dude has the height, decent speed, brains and a rocket arm...

CueroDad2006
11-06-2007, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I 2nd panther one for the most part, very good job on that analysis... but I'll try and go a tad deeper just for kicks...

the defense has gotten a bit better, but the biggest problem vs. last year is that this year we go both ways a bit more... though our defense stopped Liberty Hill more last year and in '05, Liberty Hill still racked up big yardage in both of those games... this year they made less mistakes, which makes them the better team in this year's meeting...

but the fact still remains, there is not a better team in 3A at running that offense, and not many run it period... so I feel very confident in what Cuero can do in the playoffs defensively...

offensively? if we hold on to the ball (which we've been doing as of late) you're gunna have to put up atleast 35 to beat Cuero in my opinion... not saying they can't be stopped, but at this point I can't see many teams doing it... but I guess that it, like anything, can happen...

Cuero has two other things on their side that last year's team didn't have... #1 they FEEL underrated (whether they are or not is up to the rest of this season)... they're out of the top 10 (first time for a Cuero team to be out of the top 10 since '04), yet feel that losing to a defending state champ and a playoff-bound (almost) 4A team that is loaded with athletes isn't that bad of a deal and that they're being taken lightly... add to the mix that this team is heads above shoulders as emotional as any Cuero team has been the last four years (9-2, 14-1, 13-1, 12-1), this team is geared to let it all loose in the playoffs...

I'm not saying State Champs, because I haven't seen the Region 3 or 1/2 reps we may face, but I wouldn't be shocked a bit if these boys didn't lose another game this year...

As for our sophmore QB... I hope he NEVER reads this, but I think the dude is going to be a heavy recruit by many D1's his senior year... 1600 yards passing isn't much, but in a balanced attack offense it is... 16 td's and 0 INT's with a near 70% completion rate... he is smart, mobile, athletic and has enough arm to get it done at the next level... I am very interested in seeing what happens with this guy in his future...

Trust me as good as Tyler is at football, BASEBALL is his ticket, Lead the team in hitting as a "Freshman" and was on a few area and distric first team teams. This year he will also get to show off how good a pitcher he is as well.

Panther One
11-06-2007, 11:01 PM
14-1, 13-1, 12-1

After going undefeated during the regular season the past three years, the two losses this year might actually serve the team well, especially considering who they were to (By the way, WOS's only loss is also to Bay City). Our two losses did a lot for our team last year. We were kind of young and inexperienced and those losses really showed our guys what it was going to take to beat the state's elite. They also left a very sour taste in our mouths that we didn't want to experience again. I think those hard fought, down to the wire games served to help us beat Celina in the title game.

And for a useless fact, during the past two years in the LH-Cuero matchups, the home team has won every game on the 9th, JV, and Varsity levels. That doesn't really add anything to this topic, but I was trying to think back to what kind of talent they have coming up and realized that.

Gobbla2001
11-06-2007, 11:04 PM
14-1, 13-1, 12-1

After going undefeated during the regular season the past three years, the two losses this year might actually serve the team well, especially considering who they were to (By the way, WOS's only loss is also to Bay City). Our two losses did a lot for our team last year. We were kind of young and inexperienced and those losses really showed our guys what it was going to take to beat the state's elite. They also left a very sour taste in our mouths that we didn't want to experience again. I think those hard fought, down to the wire games served to help us beat Celina in the title game.

And for a useless fact, during the past two years in the LH-Cuero matchups, the home team has won every game on the 9th, JV, and Varsity levels. That doesn't really add anything to this topic, but I was trying to think back to what kind of talent they have coming up and realized that.

key words: WERE young and inexperienced... you guys are top-notch this year, can't see anyone beating you guys... good luck in D1... though I don't think y'all will need it...

Go LH

LH Panther Mom
11-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
good luck in D1... though I don't think y'all will need it...

Go LH
Luck is something you don't turn down. ;) Best of luck to the Gobblers! Go out there and kick some statewide butt! :cheerl: :cheerl:

footballgal
11-07-2007, 04:00 PM
06 sounds like the 07 team for the most part.

GreenMachine
11-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Depth is definitely a difference between the two teams. Noack was a great leader and good QB, but I think Arndt has the potential to play on Sunday's. That kid is pure athlete. Mobile enough with a rocket arm...and only a soph. I thought that Fabian was a great running back and Quincy is a great running back too...with more moves. Also a solid safety that will de-cleat you if given the chance. Hargrove is running a lot stronger this year and Williams is a fast back too. While we may not have the speed of last years receiving corps, we are not slow by any means and have great hands in Armstrong. Throw in a "headhunter" at linebacker in Rangnow and the offensive and defensive lines and you have a very solid football team. And Kaeron...he can flat dominate a game on both sides of the ball. He is as solid of a football player as they come. All in all, I think this ballclub is special and will go VERY deep in the playoffs...and a State Championship would not surprise me! :thumbsup:

Johnny 5
11-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Do you have Cuero's season stats individual and team?

Old Green
11-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Points scored - 420 - 46.6 per game
Opp. Points - 155 - 17.7
Total Yds. off. 4048 - 449.7 per game
Rushing yards - 2464 yds
Passing Yds. - 1584 yds

Team Defense - 2022 yds - 224.6 per game
Rushing yds. 1180 yds
Passing yds - 842

Some individual stats will be on the home page

Johnny 5
11-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Thx Green

Panther One
11-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Those rushing stats would look a lot better if you take out the 432 yards on the ground that we got against the Gobblers.

Old Green
11-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Those rushing stats would look a lot better if you take out the 432 yards on the ground that we got against the Gobblers. True and the 300 yards passing by Bay City:thumbsup:

JT44
12-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Can't believe I didn't catch this thread when it was hot, but I'll comment now.

this years gobblers are more of a TEAM, the '06 gobblers had a lot of talent and 3yr lettermen, and I think they believed that their senior season would just be when they won state. Imo, there wasn't much improvement from those "star players" b/w their junior and senior years, and that's what hurt them.

this year's gobblers have made it further in the playoffs, faced more adversity, and are more of a team b/c of it.

the '06 gobblers had all the talent, just couldn't pull it together at the right time.

Runnin Panther
12-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Liberty Hill would like nothing better than

Cuero to be the DII State Champions and
Liberty Hill to be the DI State Champions

I think both are possible!!!!

If Cuero gets there, there will be plenty of Purple in the stands cheering you guys on.

LH Panther Mom
12-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Runnin Panther
If Cuero gets there, there will be plenty of Purple in the stands cheering you guys on.
lhpd plans to wear green. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Runnin Panther
12-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Just not this week!!!!

44INAROW
12-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

More Green Beans :D