PDA

View Full Version : U got to love Warranties

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Yesterday my 360 got the three lights of death after having it for a year and a half

Went to Best Buy and swapped it for the 360 with HDMI(mine did not have that) AND it was 50 dollars cheaper so I got a store credit

At same time I took my laptop in and they are fixing it for free because of warranty, and if they cant fix the problem, I get to replace it with a new one...warranties are pricey, but so worth it

crzyjournalist03
11-06-2007, 02:45 PM
I've got a four year warranty from Best Buy on my HDTV...I'm actually kind of hoping that it blows up three and a half years in since they give you the value you paid for it...with technology prices going down, you usually end up getting better stuff for the same price when you have your warranty protection.

King_LeYoeNidas
11-06-2007, 03:02 PM
yeah well this must be the week for it. unfortunatley, I got 2 lights not 3 and I DID NOT get the stupid warranty.

charlesrixey
11-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Yesterday my 360 got the three lights of death after having it for a year and a half

Went to Best Buy and swapped it for the 360 with HDMI(mine did not have that) AND it was 50 dollars cheaper so I got a store credit

At same time I took my laptop in and they are fixing it for free because of warranty, and if they cant fix the problem, I get to replace it with a new one...warranties are pricey, but so worth it

what's your gamertag, tx?

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2007, 03:20 PM
texbroadcaster

crzyjournalist03
11-06-2007, 03:23 PM
What are these two and three lights that you guys are talking about?

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
What are these two and three lights that you guys are talking about?

red lights that flash arounf the light ring when 360 is messed up

3 lights means System failure, your 360 is now a big paperweight

SWMustang
11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
If you bought warranties on every electronic/appliance you bought you'd spend way more on warranties than to have something fixed. Odds are, most (if not all) of those items aren't going to go out. Why don't you pay yourself that warranty money and stash it away for when something really goes wrong? There's a reason they push those warranties so hard - most go unused and it's like free money to the store.

King_LeYoeNidas
11-06-2007, 03:45 PM
2 red lights generally means something in the system has overheated....though mine wasn't hot at all...

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
If you bought warranties on every electronic/appliance you bought you'd spend way more on warranties than to have something fixed. Odds are, most (if not all) of those items aren't going to go out. Why don't you pay yourself that warranty money and stash it away for when something really goes wrong? There's a reason they push those warranties so hard - most go unused and it's like free money to the store.

Well lets see

I paid in total 450 for warranties on a 360, a laptop

I got a new 360 plus 50 dollars thru warranty

Getting my laptop either fixed or replaced thru warranty

Warranties IMO for electronics are not a bad thing

SWMustang
11-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Well lets see

I paid in total 450 for warranties on a 360, a laptop

I got a new 360 plus 50 dollars thru warranty

Getting my laptop either fixed or replaced thru warranty

Warranties IMO for electronics are not a bad thing

Too limited a time frame (and only 2 items) to say they're worth it. Over your lifetime, you will come out on the short end of the stick. It's kind of like Vegas - you made out good this time, but you need to know when to walk away.

King_LeYoeNidas
11-06-2007, 03:56 PM
yeah but....screw a warranty. I'll just grab another game instead lol

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Too limited a time frame (and only 2 items) to say they're worth it. Over your lifetime, you will come out on the short end of the stick. It's kind of like Vegas - you made out good this time, but you need to know when to walk away.

Oh I could go further with times when warranties work

I understand what ur saying..but IMO the value is buying the right warranty for the right product..also getting the right length of warranty

I buy warranties for high ticket electronics. I dont for other things. But a warranty has been a plus more than a negative for me with electronics

crzyjournalist03
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM

Insurance is WAAAAY worse than warranties...Heck, I'm losing close to $60 a paycheck for health insurance, and I haven't been to the doctor in about five years. I calculated what my dentist insurance would cost me, and unless I have more than one cavity every two years, I'm better off paying for it myself than with insurance.

lakers
11-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Did u know now that all 360's are under a 3 year warranty by microsoft. That is a pretty good deal. It applies to the 3 red light flashing.

For any customer who has previously paid for repair expenses related to the three flashing lights error message on the Xbox 360 console, Microsoft will retroactively reimburse them.

luvhoops34
11-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I always get the most warranty I can when I buy a laptop. I've never been disappointed. I've never gotten lucky enough to have it replaced, but the warranty has saved me $$$.