PDA

View Full Version : WHY DOES EVERYONE CARE ABOUT RANKINGS?

lobo12
10-15-2003, 10:11 PM
DO RANKINGS REALLY MATTER THAT MUCH. I THOUGHT THATS WHY YOU PLAY THE GAME. DONT GET TOO WORKED UP ON THE RANKINGS AND GO OUT AND SHOW HOW YOU CAN PLAY ON THE FIELD.

Gobbla2001
10-15-2003, 10:12 PM
Well to some people they can mean too much,...

Most of us here just use rankings as another way to discuss things...

lobo12
10-15-2003, 10:17 PM
I WASNT TRYING TO OFFEND ANYONE, I WAS JUST READING SOME POSTS AND WONDERING WHY SOME PEOPLE GET SO WORKED UP OVER RANKINGS.

Gobbla2001
10-15-2003, 10:18 PM
lobo12:
I WASNT TRYING TO OFFEND ANYONE, I WAS JUST READING SOME POSTS AND WONDERING WHY SOME PEOPLE GET SO WORKED UP OVER RANKINGS.I know

TBrents
10-15-2003, 10:31 PM
THEN STOP SHOUTING!

jason
10-15-2003, 10:44 PM
TBrents:
THEN STOP SHOUTING!??? ya know, all caps means your shouting...

lobo12
10-15-2003, 10:53 PM
i didnt know that, thank you

KTownBalla
10-15-2003, 10:55 PM
I guess sometimes it's a thing of team pride...or how they compare to some of the powerhouses...all in all...polls are just opinions...not of everyone...

jason
10-15-2003, 10:58 PM
lobo12:
i didnt know that, thank youwink

GoForIt
10-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Because a lot of folks in small towns feel like they don't matter in the world and seeing their town's name in print makes them feel important.

cunbed10
10-16-2003, 08:08 AM
GoForIt:
Because a lot of folks in small towns feel like they don't matter in the world and seeing their town's name in print makes them feel important.That's funny, I don't ever remember seeing Milano!

PAINTBALL
10-16-2003, 09:18 AM
I don't know about other people, but I like to look at thr rankings and try to determine how far in the playoffs Burnet will have to go before they reach a highly ranked team. When Burnet has a good team I like to find out what else is out there. Rankings are all that is available. With this in mind I also realize that there are always sleepers that haven't been noticed by those doing the polls, like Burnet last year. Those sleeper teams in my opinion have the advantage in the early rounds because they are not given the credit they deserve and want to prove something to the sports writters. Upset in the making.

BrainDamage
10-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Its a pride thing. I mean the top dogs wanna walk with their chests out. I guess bragging rights. Plus polls let the team know how many people (voters) support them and how many don't.

PAINTBALL
10-16-2003, 09:38 AM
BrainDamage:
Its a pride thing. I mean the top dogs wanna walk with their chests out. I guess bragging rights. Plus polls let the team know how many people (voters) support them and how many don't.Since I go to every Burnet game and I feel I know something about football, I rate my own team. What I don't know is what else is out there. Last year I felt from the polls that the sports writers thought our tough games would be Sinton, Jasper, and Everman or Forney. How right they were. I am having a hard time this year making that list from the polls since so many Div. 2 schools are listed in the top 20. I must admit, I am very confused by this year's polls.

BulldogGrl64
10-16-2003, 10:13 AM
Rankings are just a way of helping you see where and how your team fits in with other teams in the area.

j_dog
10-16-2003, 10:55 AM
WHY DOES EVERYONE CARE ABOUT RANKINGS?

Simply because it is recognition. State wide at that. And it comes at a time when everyone pays attention. Once the teams start dropping in the playoffs, many people stop following high school football if their team dropped out. All they may remember is the rankings during the season. And, just like a trip, it is all about the anticipation and hope.