PDA

View Full Version : Bringing up JVers for playoffs?

STANG RED
11-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Swater always brings up all the JV boys, and some of the freshman to travel to playoff games. They suit up and everything. I think its great that they get to experience it, even if they dont get to play. But many have actually gotten the chance to play some in the early rounds in years past, if we got a big lead.

Is this common for most teams?

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I here Wylie is going to have 120 on the sideline against
Decatur in the first round.:devil:

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

YIKES! :eek:

Old Green
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
YIKES! :eek: Gobblers do. some get to play.:thumbsup:

Reds fan
11-06-2007, 10:26 AM
A lot of teams do and for good reason.... A team that goes deep in the playoffs can get a 1/3 to almost 2/3 of a regular season in extra games. Great experience for the youngsters and a great way to build a programs strength for the next year.

gtownfan
11-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Back in 2003, my son was a offensive lineman on the Giddings JV and on the day of the game, one of the starting tackles on varisity came down with appendicitus and was out of the game. Coach Fitz asked my son if he was ready to start!

So for these smaller schools, it's very possible that some will get to play!!!

hawkfan
11-06-2007, 10:37 AM

Bringing up Jv kids for the playoffs is a good idea, But it is just plain stupid to have 120 kids on the sideline suited up. there is no way that they will get that many kids in the game. The most i would probably want is 50 or so.

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by hawkfan
Bringing up Jv kids for the playoffs is a good idea, But it is just plain stupid to have 120 kids on the sideline suited up. there is no way that they will get that many kids in the game. The most i would probably want is 50 or so.

They have more than 50 on their varsity roster to start the
season.

BILLYFRED0000
11-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Yes we always do it. It is an extended practice season and they always get to play some. The top two JV's wear orange hats like the Varsity and the Fish where white hats. White hats have gotten to play in some games. In our run in 05 we played 13 different running backs and 3 quarterbacks in our rout over Hamilton. It was easy because it was 44 - 0 on the second play of the second quarter. Third round of the playoffs.

thewyliefan
11-06-2007, 10:53 AM
all the jv kids do suit out for wylie for the playoffs. but only a few are put on the roster as eligible players. they bring all the kids which is actually prolly pretty close to 120 to get the experience w/ the situations of playoff atmosphere considering those jv kids will on varisty i dont see a problem w/ bringing them all

PurplePride2006
11-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Abilene Wylie always seem to have their entire football program on the sideline during playoffs

Ranger Mom
11-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Swater always brings up all the JV boys, and some of the freshman to travel to playoff games. They suit up and everything. I think its great that they get to experience it, even if they dont get to play. But many have actually gotten the chance to play some in the early rounds in years past, if we got a big lead.

I think at that playoff game in 2005 against yall (in San Angelo)....we were finally able to put some points on the board against those freshmen!!:p :D :D

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think at that playoff game in 2005 against yall (in San Angelo)....we were finally able to put some points on the board against those freshmen!!:p :D :D

You mean this year?:D

http://www.texasfootballratings.com/3A2005Div2.html

PurplePride2006
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/6412/kimbroughif7.th.jpg (http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kimbroughif7.jpg)

Black_Magic
11-06-2007, 01:50 PM

There you go again!http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/930/55075299.JPG :thinking: Trying to Jinx your mustangs or something?:confused: dont count them yet. Breck still planing on showing up friday.;)

lakers
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
There you go again!http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/930/55075299.JPG :thinking: Trying to Jinx your mustangs or something?:confused: dont count them yet. Breck still planing on showing up friday.;)

Sweetwater should win. they have the speed to stop vick...

Ranger Mom
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM

http://www.texasfootballratings.com/3A2005Div2.html

Yeppers....I think it was like 21 - 0 or 28 - 0 going into the second half!!:eek:

Heck...maybe it was 44 - 0, I have tried to block it out!!:D

Texasfootball2
11-06-2007, 01:54 PM
They have more than 50 on their varsity roster to start the
season.

I think they suited up 65 against Breckenridge last Friday:thumbsup:

yoemenkracker30
11-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Cameron always suits up the JV people that want to go....when I was a Fish we got to just because we were better than our JV:D

DaHop72
11-06-2007, 01:55 PM

http://www.texasfootballratings.com/3A2005Div2.html Man, that was just wrong.:D

bigron15
11-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeppers....I think it was like 21 - 0 or 28 - 0 going into the second half!!:eek:

Heck...maybe it was 44 - 0, I have tried to block it out!!:D

yea sweetwater07 made me and stownhorse late to that game. had to stop and eat. we got there right at halftime.

Ranger Mom
11-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Man, that was just wrong.:D

Wasn't it though???

Oh well, I was the one who foolishly brought it up!!:p

piratebg
11-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Sinton would do that. If the lead was big, JV would handle of the kickoffs, kickoff returns, and even see some playing time too. That always drew a big cheer from the crowd.

STANG RED
11-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I wasnt even talking about this year specifically, it was just asking a general question to the board about their teams.

Sweetwater has just made the playoffs so many times in the past that I have seen it many many times.
I know Snyder has missed the playoffs many more times than most though, so I'm sure it just didn't occure to a tigger to ask the question. :devil:

kaorder1999
11-06-2007, 02:08 PM
I say, if you have the jersey's, bring em up. Im a big fan of rewarding the JV for their scout team work all year. If you have a freshman who is probably going to be a Varsity kid as a soph., bring them up so they can get the Varsity feel and ohhhh and awwww ffeelings out of the way

Runnin Panther
11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Liberty Hill pulls up their JV and sometimes their freshmen. Not only does is give the younger kids extra practice time. It also changes practices due to LH two platoon philosophy they are able to completely separate the offense and defense and have a full workout on both sides of the ball daily.

If I’m not mistaken there was about 8 JV kids that got in every playoff game last year. Great building blocks for the future.

Butkus
11-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I wasnt even talking about this year specifically, it was just asking a general question to the board about their teams.

Sweetwater has just made the playoffs so many times in the past that I have seen it many many times.
I know Snyder has missed the playoffs many more times than most though, so I'm sure it just didn't occure to a tigger to ask the question. :devil: Now ya done it Stang Red. Ole blackies gonna hafta ponder on that one fur a while.:D

Runnin Panther
11-06-2007, 02:14 PM
One more thing….if the JV kids move up and come to very practice and suit out every game they should be reward with a big fat ring if the team wins state.

Black_Magic
11-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
Now ya done it Stang Red. Ole blackies gonna hafta ponder on that one fur a while.:D They rise and they fall. some places call for heads when they start to fall. Ifin ol Breck win and you can bet your big old but that some of the good old folks in SW will be asking that this old device be brought out.
http://www.knightsedge.com/medieval-weapons/medieval-guillotine-4800.jpg

nobogey72
11-06-2007, 02:35 PM

hawkfan,

I don't know how it is in Athens, but around here it is still cool to be on the football team. There won't be 120, that was an exageration. But, if there were 120 kids in our JV/Varsity, then that is how many would suit up and get to enjoy the experience. That is probably one of the reasons that we have 39 seniors on this year's team. Coach Sandifer has the unique ability to make every one of them feel special and that they are a vital part of the team. When this senior class were 7th graders, there were 83 of them. The fact that roughly half of them are still in the program to me is unbelievable. Especially considering that probably 20 of them know that they are not going to get much if any playing time. You said that our suiting up that many kids was "JUST PLAIN STUPID", but it is a great source of pride for us, and is the result of a great program that kids want to be part of.

TinyTim
11-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
hawkfan,

I don't know how it is in Athens, but around here it is still cool to be on the football team. There won't be 120, that was an exageration. But, if there were 120 kids in our JV/Varsity, then that is how many would suit up and get to enjoy the experience. That is probably one of the reasons that we have 39 seniors on this year's team. Coach Sandifer has the unique ability to make every one of them feel special and that they are a vital part of the team. When this senior class were 7th graders, there were 83 of them. The fact that roughly half of them are still in the program to me is unbelievable. Especially considering that probably 20 of them know that they are not going to get much if any playing time. You said that our suiting up that many kids was "JUST PLAIN STUPID", but it is a great source of pride for us, and is the result of a great program that kids want to be part of.

Right on Nobogey. Siads that, we can afford to do it.

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim
Right on Nobogey. Siads that, we can afford to do it.

Are you saying Wylie has a bunch of rich kids that don't have to
work and therefore have time to play football?:thinking: :devil:

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 02:59 PM
It's cool when they suit up but they if they are participating in pre-game warm up during individual time they just get in the way and take away from your reps. Only bad thing I can say about it.

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by yoemenkracker30
Cameron always suits up the JV people that want to go....when I was a Fish we got to just because we were better than our JV:D Yalls senior class was loaded with speed and talent.

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 03:06 PM
how selfish.

I did it my sophmore year and it was fun. I even had fun being a scout team reciever in practice.

The only thing that sux is standing on the sidelines in the cold the whole game. That year we played seminole in Ratliff and it was sleeting on us. Coldest game Ive ever experienced.

Wait freshman yr. we played seminole in the bowl and it was sleet/rain. Worst game of my life because coach never put me in that game

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:09 PM
how selfish.

?

buff4life
11-06-2007, 03:09 PM
don't have a problem with jvers getting moved up, but have a problem with them "earning" a letter jacket because of it or if the team does win state, getting rings

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 03:10 PM

The only thing that sux is standing on the sidelines in the cold the whole game. That year we played seminole in Ratliff and it was sleeting on us. Coldest game Ive ever experienced.

I was there. The wind was cutting right through me and my
Grandpa. There is absolutely nothing to block the wind at
Ratliffe.

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
don't have a problem with jvers getting moved up, but have a problem with them "earning" a letter jacket because of it or if the team does win state, getting rings Word...if they aren't on back of the playoff shirt they don't deserve a ring or letter.

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Word...if they aren't on back of the playoff shirt they don't deserve a ring or letter.

What about trainers?

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:15 PM
What about trainers? letterman for trainers...sure

rings....nah

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 03:21 PM
letterman for trainers...sure

rings....nah

A former Sweetwater stand out who is now a trainer at UT got a NC
ring thanks to Vince Young. I didn't believe my boss when he told
me. I thought only the coaches and players got rings.

TinyTim
11-06-2007, 03:21 PM

No, I am saying that there parents work for a living which intern allows there taxes to go for a good cause.

Besides that, what does it look like from the other side of the field to see a purple army comin at you.

charlesrixey
11-06-2007, 03:25 PM
my twin brother got a ring his sophomore year, in 1998, when celina won their first in a row. He never touched varsity, but he did get a ring

i don't see anything wrong with it---how do you draw the line between who gets one and who doesn't? Of course, he was on the t-shirt, so i guess that counts for something?

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Take the roster you have for the last game of the regular season and if your name isn't on that you don't get one?

BILLYFRED0000
11-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
my twin brother got a ring his sophomore year, in 1998, when celina won their first in a row. He never touched varsity, but he did get a ring

i don't see anything wrong with it---how do you draw the line between who gets one and who doesn't? Of course, he was on the t-shirt, so i guess that counts for something?

That is right Cr. I think when they are all called up we will suit around 120. Tons of fun for everyone. And this year like last we will be around for a while.

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Take the roster you have for the last game of the regular season and if your name isn't on that you don't get one?

Dude its your opinion. But if the coach decides to let the rest of the team get one thats cool because the JV teams in sweetwater practice against the varsity to make them better. Its not just the friday night roster its the stuff behind the scenes.

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:35 PM
The way I see it is that they weren't on varsity for a reason whether because they aren't good enough or a lot of depth already and the only reason they get moved up is to be a practice dumby and that is it. So why should they get a ring for being on "varsity" for just the playoffs?" They are also there so the real varsity players don't get hurt during practice running scout.

LH Panther Mom
11-06-2007, 03:36 PM
That makes perfect sense to me, but I understand that not everyone has the same thought. And I can see both sides.

SWMustang
11-06-2007, 03:39 PM
The way I see it is that they weren't on varsity for a reason whether because they aren't good enough or a lot of depth already and the only reason they get moved up is to be a practice dumby and that is it. So why should they get a ring for being on "varsity" for just the playoffs?" They are also there so the real varsity players don't get hurt during practice running scout.

I think the JV's role is much more important than that of a practice dummy. Your job as a JVer is to prepare the varsity - pretend you are the opponent and try to beat the guy across from you. Didn't you see "Rudy"?

buff4life
11-06-2007, 03:40 PM
if you give a letter jacket to the fresh and jv who got moved up for the playoffs, its takes the honor away from actually earning a jacket for being on a varsity sport, same thing goes with a fresh in band...just my opinion...

you should have had to be on varsity B4 the playoffs, or made a great contribution during the playoffs to earn anything..

the concept is EARNING it...

and CR if the guy wasn't your brother would you feel differently?

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 03:40 PM

Do or did you play football?

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think the JV's role is much more important than that of a practice dummy. Your job as a JVer is to prepare the varsity - pretend you are the opponent and try to beat the guy across from you. Didn't you see "Rudy"? I never got much out of practicing against the JV...I'd just outrun them or out power them.

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Do or did you play football? I did

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
I never got much out of practicing against the JV...I'd just outrun them or out power them.

You must have been a BA. pff haha

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
You must have been a BA. pff haha I don't know...

Texasfootball2
11-06-2007, 03:46 PM
I never got much out of practicing against the JV...I'd just outrun them or out power them.

WAKE UP BLUE! WAKE UP! I seen your picture on my space, if your statements true, I know why Rockdale is weak in football.

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
WAKE UP BLUE! WAKE UP! I seen your picture on my space, if your statements true, I know why Rockdale is weak in football. You humor me.:clap:

boba fett
11-06-2007, 03:47 PM
if you give a letter jacket to the fresh and jv who got moved up for the playoffs, its takes the honor away from actually earning a jacket for being on a varsity sport, same thing goes with a fresh in band...just my opinion...

you should have had to be on varsity B4 the playoffs, or made a great contribution during the playoffs to earn anything..

i'm with you dude

EARN it on the playing field, not practice. we talking 'bout practice?

but i know some moms & dads just want little johnny to feel good about himself!

why not give rings to all the fans?

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by boba fett
i'm with you dude

EARN it on the playing field, not practice. we talking 'bout practice?

but i know some moms & dads just want little johnny to feel good about himself!

why not give rings to all the fans?

haha are you dont talking out of your behind?

boba fett
11-06-2007, 03:52 PM
haha are you dont talking out of your behind?

English? Do you speak it??

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 03:53 PM
haha are you dont talking out of your behind? Honest truth....gotta love it.

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 03:58 PM

huh?

boba fett
11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
huh?

Exactly.

Your quote:

Are you don't talking out of your behind? hmmmm

It's like you're trying to tell me something, but I don't speak stupid!

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Oh God! Another grammar cop and this one is a Star Wars geek too.:rolleyes: :nerd:

DaHop72
11-06-2007, 04:03 PM

why not give rings to all the fans? I like it.:D :D

boba fett
11-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Oh God! Another grammar cop and this one is a Star Wars geek too.:rolleyes: :nerd:

Hey man, I'm just trying to understand his lingo.

nobogey72
11-06-2007, 04:07 PM

I'm not trying to speak for Tiny Tim, but what I think (and hope) that he was saying is that the school district is willing to put up the additional money it takes to suit up all the JVs (extra buses, meals, etc.) because they realize that it is such a great experience for them.

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm not trying to speak for Tiny Tim, but what I think (and hope) that he was saying is that the school district is willing to put up the additional money it takes to suit up all the JVs (extra buses, meals, etc.) because they realize that it is such a great experience for them.

Oh I know. This was a hot topic a year or two ago on here. I
was just playing off of it. We don't have the same mixture of
Wylie fans now. If we did this thread would have exploded
when I posted that.:D :devil:

Texasfootball2

Gitty Up:clap: Well said:thumbsup:

Stownhorse
Hey man, I'm just trying to understand his lingo.

I meant done.

Are you DONE now?

TinyTim
11-06-2007, 04:11 PM

u go nobogey.

But I really want someone to tell me how it feels to see the purple army coming at ya.

I know that if I were a 16,17, 18 y/o football player in a playoff game, that would be pretty darn intimidating.

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 04:12 PM
u go nobogey.

But I really want someone to tell me how it feels to see the purple army coming at ya.

I know that if I were a 16,17, 18 y/o football player in a playoff game, that would be pretty darn intimidating.

Not if tinytim was on it. :D

boba fett
11-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I meant done.

Are you DONE now?

Am I done? Hell no! The show is just getting started!

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 04:14 PM
u go nobogey.

You can only put 11 on the field at a time. Atleast, that's what
all of us legitimate 3A schools say when we play Wylie.

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Am I done? Hell no! The show is just getting started!

You've been a part of the board since Aug of 2005 and your barely posting?

Ranger Mom
11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
What about trainers?

So some schools have trainers for the different squads??

Our trainers are automatically on "Varsity" when they are freshman...they just aren't allowed (as is any player in a sport) to get a lettermans jacket until the end of their sophomore year!

boba fett
11-06-2007, 04:23 PM
You've been a part of the board since Aug of 2005 and your barely posting?

Hey man, not everyone has all day to just piss away. I finally have a day off and thought I'd check in. Talking about JV kids getting rings. wow. Now I've seen everything!

Some dude is stalking me though. Keeps talking about Snyder, like I know where the hell that is.

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 04:23 PM
So some schools have trainers for the different squads??

Our trainers are automatically on "Varsity" when they are freshman...they just aren't allowed (as is any player in a sport) to get a lettermans jacket until the end of their sophomore year!

Yea I actually think sweetwaters trainers rotate every other week.

Ranger Mom
11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Yea I actually think sweetwaters trainers rotate every other week.

Well...Greenwood's do to...but they are still ALL considered to be on Varsity!!

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Hey man, not everyone has all day to just piss away. I finally have a day off and thought I'd check in. Talking about JV kids getting rings. wow. Now I've seen everything!

Some dude is stalking me though. Keeps talking about Snyder, like I know where the hell that is.

That happens when you go after Sweetwater posters. We take
care of our own.

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 04:34 PM

If your posting on this board and dont know where that is than you probably shouldnt be posting.

DaHop72
11-06-2007, 04:34 PM
That happens when you go after Sweetwater posters. We take
care of our own. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Ranger Mom
11-06-2007, 04:36 PM
If your posting on this board and dont know where that is than you probably shouldnt be posting.

HaHa!!
:D

boba fett
11-06-2007, 04:37 PM

I don't pay attention to every post, unlike yourself it seems. I know where & who Snyder is. Maybe you shouldn't be posting if you can't detect sarcasm.

They are the best 7-2 team in the state, EVERYONE knows that!

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

That don't leave Sweetwater...:devil: .

Ranger Mom
I don't pay attention to every post, unlike yourself it seems. I know where & who Snyder is. Maybe you shouldn't be posting if you can't detect sarcasm.

I think what he posted was DEFINITELY sarcasm!!

Maybe you should listen to your own advice!!

boba fett
HaHa!!
:D

HaHa is right. Nice signature.

Texasfootball2
11-06-2007, 04:39 PM

Everyone and in every Galaxy:thumbsup:

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 04:40 PM
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

ahh shat up snyder posters do the same :D

boba fett
11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I think what he posted was DEFINITELY sarcasm!!

Maybe you should listen to your own advice!!

Where is the love? I get it. All the West Texas folks have to stick together.

I'll go back to minding my business now.

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 04:41 PM

No Cuero is. EVERYONE knows that!

boba fett
11-06-2007, 04:42 PM
No Cuero is. EVERYONE knows that!

Well, in Cuero's case it's probably true!

DaHop72
11-06-2007, 04:42 PM

I'll go back to minding my business now. Ah, come on boba fett, come join my team. We'll take on those Sweetwater posters.:D

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 04:43 PM

I'll go back to minding my business now.

Would Boba Fett start something he couldn't finish?:rolleyes:

DaHop72
11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Would Boba Fett start something he couldn't finish?:rolleyes: Heck no, boba fett is a bad, bad bounty hunter.

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 04:44 PM

yea. I can bring reinforcements :devil:

boba fett
11-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Dude, you should seriously get some visine for that problem you have! It's all that red dirt out in West Texas.

You guys knock yourselves out. I might be back tomorrow. I'm sure that will excite some of you!

boba fett
11-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Heck no, boba fett is a bad, bad bounty hunter.

Damn skippy. I wish I had more time to demonstrate just how bad I am, but I've got things to do.

Ranger Mom
11-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Dude, you should seriously get some visine for that problem you have! It's all that red dirt out in West Texas.

You guys knock yourselves out. I might be back tomorrow. I'm sure that will excite some of you!

Guess so!!:eek:

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Damn skippy. I wish I had more time to demonstrate just how bad I am, but I've got things to do.

Dont bring back a light-saver.

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 04:51 PM
It's all that red dirt out in West Texas.

He might not know where to find Snyder on the map but he does know where
Sweetwater is.:D

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Dont bring back a light-saver.

Sabre. You better edit your post. You know he's a grammar cop.

Stownhorse
11-06-2007, 04:53 PM

haha I hate star wars anyways

Ranger Mom
11-06-2007, 04:57 PM

LOL!! You probably just made a lot of people feel dumb.

It is amazing how many people actually think it IS a "light-saver"!!:p

sweetwater07
11-06-2007, 06:32 PM

i think its more of an intimidation factor

buff4life
11-06-2007, 08:09 PM
i don't have a problem with moving the kids up, give them the experience but don't give them the things that the varsity players earned...

Bull19
11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
i don't have a problem with moving the kids up, give them the experience but don't give them the things that the varsity players earned...

when bellville is in the playoffs and bring up j.v. and some fish they make them ride on school buses, not charters, and they dont get any decals on the helmets, they wear older jersey's etc......they get no speciual treatment, they are just lucky enough to stand on the sidelines and get to stretch on the field

Butkus
11-06-2007, 08:42 PM
yea. I can bring reinforcements :devil: Durned ole stownhorse u better back off youngin. Ifin boba fett is who ole Butkus thinks he is hes not one ta cross. Imma believin me an my brothers mighta run across ole boba fett a time back.

Runnin Panther
11-06-2007, 10:17 PM

In Liberty Hill to earn a varsity letter jacket you have to be a varsity player for 12 quarters (I think or maybe they have to play 12 quarters) during the regular season. No JV kid gets a letter jacket.

To earn a state ring a JV player must attend every practice and game. If they miss even one practice they become eligible.

Why I think this is smart is because it gives JV kids a tangible reason to want to continue to work hard, which in turn is building on next years season. It makes them feel like they are included and a real part of the team, which is building on next years season. It provides unity instead of separation, again building on the next years season. The whole program is stronger when you include instead of exclude.

To say that giving a few more kids a ring will diminish the accomplishment of winning a state championship, in my opinion, is just not true. In fact it sounds a little petty. Just because a JV kid may have a ring on his finger does not change the feeling of pride, achievement, success or satisfaction each varsity player has when they wear that ring. And maybe it instills a little of the same in the JV kid for working hard all year and earning a small piece of the pie too.

In my opinion the Pros far out weigh the Cons.

Disclaimer: My son was not a JV player. In fact he was moved up during season for part of his freshmen year and then for the playoffs. He has played on varsity since he was a sophomore and he has never felt like there was anyone that earned a state ring that did not deserve it.
[U]

thewyliefan
11-06-2007, 11:21 PM
yea when i was a sophmore at wylie and i had to go on the trips (the year they won state by the way) i never became eligible for a letter until my next season. and some said earlier something about jv'ers getting state rings. well at wylie that wasnt the case. we got the privlege of being dominated by levi wolfe and tyler crump and those guys for an extra 5 weeks, but no ring on my finger which is how it should be. it did tick me off that the trainers got rings. ( in my eyes practicing aginst varsity and getting bruised up week after week should be more deserving of a ring than get water ready and taking a football to the field)

sweetwater07
11-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
yea when i was a sophmore at wylie and i had to go on the trips (the year they won state by the way) i never became eligible for a letter until my next season. and some said earlier something about jv'ers getting state rings. well at wylie that wasnt the case. we got the privlege of being dominated by levi wolfe and tyler crump and those guys for an extra 5 weeks, but no ring on my finger which is how it should be. it did tick me off that the trainers got rings. ( in my eyes practicing aginst varsity and getting bruised up week after week should be more deserving of a ring than get water ready and taking a football to the field)

yeah no joke, i thought that the whole team got rings from that season, including jv and freshman

lakers
11-06-2007, 11:47 PM

I remember those guys... THEY WERE HUGE!!!

And mean too. Dont forget about Jared Robertson either. That guy scared me.:(

thewyliefan
11-06-2007, 11:55 PM
nah jared was a big teddy bear...well when he wasnt on the field at least. but to sweetwater07, only the seniors and juniors and gary edwards got rings. there were a few soph. that got moved up to varsity and was on the roster and even played through out the playoffs and on special teams during the state game that didnt get rings.

lakers
11-07-2007, 12:56 AM
nah jared was a big teddy bear...well when he wasnt on the field at least. but to sweetwater07, only the seniors and juniors and gary edwards got rings. there were a few soph. that got moved up to varsity and was on the roster and even played through out the playoffs and on special teams during the state game that didnt get rings.

damn that sucks, that would piss me off.

I remember robertson would talk about "the glove" lol.

I heard he used it to intimidate people. haha

sweetwater07
11-07-2007, 12:59 AM

haha thats dirty, i guess Gary Edwards is special

thewyliefan
11-07-2007, 11:12 AM
i think he got one because he was on the team for the whole year and the other 3 guys just for playoffs? idk, those guys were pretty PO'd