PDA

View Full Version : Tom Osbourne to coach Nebraska?

Old Tiger
11-06-2007, 05:09 AM
I think he is the next hire for them. Just a hunch.

Darren
11-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I think that it would be a mistake if he does coach.

Bearkat
11-06-2007, 09:38 AM
It can't be any worse than what they have now. I never thought I would see the day that Nebraska gives up 76 to Kansas.

Johnny Utah
11-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Osbourne will do the hiring. Will probably hire a former player or asst coach or someone with Ties to Nebraska. Could be a great job again with the right coach. They love and support their Huskers.

big daddy russ
11-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Osbourne will do the hiring. Will probably hire a former player or asst coach or someone with Ties to Nebraska. Could be a great job again with the right coach. They love and support their Huskers.
Watch for Pelini.

Johnny Utah
11-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Bo himself, very good point!!!

westtxfballfan
11-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Turner Gill.

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/football/coaches/gill.shtml

g$$
11-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Tom will do the hiring & try to help salvage recruits. He will NOT be the next coach. He is done coaching & had a wonderful career with 3 NCs.

It will be either Bo Pelini or Turner Gill, both have strong ties to NEB. Gill was a great qb & asst. coach & Pelini coached there too.

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Named himself interem(spelling?) head coach

Texasfootball2
11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
I heard yesterday that there is a good chance that Bo and Turner Gill both end up at Nebraska, with Gill being Asst. Hd Coach/Offensive Coor. and Bo as HD Coach.

g$$
11-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Named himself interem(spelling?) head coach

Just so he can go on road & recruit right now by NCAA rule. He hopes to have a new HC in place next week.

Interim Coach for now...

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Just so he can go on road & recruit right now by NCAA rule. He hopes to have a new HC in place next week.

Interim Coach for now... I would like to see Nebraska go back to the option. That are like peas and carrots with one another.

g$$
11-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I would like to see Nebraska go back to the option. That are like peas and carrots with one another.

NO way. Football has changed to the point where option only football is a thing of the past. Can it be effective in spots? Heck yeah. Ask any defensive coach about the option & he will tell you it is the hardest thing to defend because one missed assignment & it's 6 pts. Also hard to recruit skill players in that scheme now. WRs want their touches too.

There's a reason pro football teams don't run true option much. QBs would get killed & just too much speed/technically sound players on field. They will only do it as a change of pace every now & then.

Spread option in college is in vogue now...but that is different than true triple option football. Zone read is modern day triple option. The academies run it (AF, Navy, etc.) but that is due to lesser athletes & they have the discipline needed to run it effectively.

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by g$$
NO way. Football has changed to the point where option only football is a thing of the past. Can it be effective in spots? Heck yeah. Ask any defensive coach about the option & he will tell you it is the hardest thing to defend because one missed assignment & it's 6 pts. Also hard to recruit skill players in that scheme now. WRs want their touches too.

There's a reason pro football teams don't run true option much. QBs would get killed & just too much speed/technically sound players on field. They will only do it as a change of pace every now & then.

Spread option in college is in vogue now...but that is different than true triple option football. Zone read is modern day triple option. The academies run it (AF, Navy, etc.) but that is due to lesser athletes & they have the discipline needed to run it effectively. I don't know if Navy can beat ND with it then hell anything is possible.

buff4life
11-29-2007, 06:54 PM
he's the "interim" head coach right now so he can start recruiting...

g$$
11-29-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't know if Navy can beat ND with it then hell anything is possible.

ND's 3 wins:

UCLA, Duke, Stanford

That would be impressive in basketball. :)

Old Tiger
11-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by g$$
ND's 3 wins:

UCLA, Duke, Stanford

That would be impressive in basketball. :) USC couldn't even beat Stanford ;)

g$$
11-29-2007, 06:59 PM
USC couldn't even beat Stanford ;)

Any given day...

Point is ND was awful of course this year. Couldn't happen to a better guy either in Charlie Weis. :)

JR2004
11-29-2007, 08:39 PM
I'd really enjoy seeing Osborne back on the sidelines for the Cornhuskers. His old Nebraska teams were a lot of fun to watch.