PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for crzyjournalist03

eagles_victory
11-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Curt Schilling had listed 13 teams that the free agent would play for next season. Looks like he's close to getting his first choice.

Schilling

The Boston Herald reported on Monday night that the right-hander and the Red Sox are close to reaching agreement on a one-year, incentive-laden deal. Citing a person familiar with the talks, The Associated Press reported that a deal could be reached within a few days.

Schilling told the newspaper that things "gathered momentum and if they continued to progress like they did [on Sunday] something could potentially get done."

Sources told the Herald that the final hurdle in the deal may be the 40-year-old Schilling passing a physical.

Schilling, who is not represented by an agent, went 9-8 with a 3.87 ERA last season. He won three games in the postseason, including Game 2 of the World Series on the way to Boston's sweep of the Colorado Rockies.

Schlling is a six-time All-Star who has been with the Red Sox for four of his 20 seasons.

Earlier this week, a post on Schilling's Web site, 38pitches.com, read, "For anyone interested please just assume things are happening with Boston without me mentioning it. Theo [Epstein] and I have spoken more than once but there will be no details or updates of these discussions."

The Herald reported that the Astros, Diamondbacks and Phillies all contacted Schilling on the first day of free agency, but he posted on his Web site: "I made it clear to all three teams that my intent was to do whatever I could to resolve this and remain in Boston for the final year of my career. "

In 2004, Schilling went 21-6 and helped lead the Red Sox to their first World Series title since 1918, but his velocity has diminished,

After the Red Sox declined to give him an extension, Schilling said in February that he would become a free agent after the season. He said then he would return for Boston in 2008 for $13 million, the same salary he earned in 2007.

While he wanted to stay, he also was ready in case he had to change teams.

"We've prepared the kids that we may be moving again," wife Shonda said last weekend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096549

slpybear the bullfan
11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I would love to have Curt back with the BOSOX again next year... He brings some experience to a very young Bullpen for next year.

GO SOX!

big daddy russ
11-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I would love to have Curt back with the BOSOX again next year... He brings some experience to a very young Bullpen for next year.

GO SOX!
Is Papelbon finally going to get moved to the rotation, or are they going to keep him in the 'pen next year?

crzyjournalist03
11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
well crap...no Schilling, and from what I hear, they're going after an average Japanese outfielder whose name is....are you ready for this...

Fukudome :eek: :eek: :eek:

(it's pronounced Fook-you-dough-may, but still...)

At least Schilling gets to finish his career where he wants to.

eagles_victory
11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
well crap...no Schilling, and from what I hear, they're going after an average Japanese outfielder whose name is....are you ready for this...

Fukudome :eek: :eek: :eek:

(it's pronounced Fook-you-dough-may, but still...)

At least Schilling gets to finish his career where he wants to. i was sad to hear Schilling was resigning with the Sox as well :D

bigron15
11-06-2007, 03:05 PM
i would rather the rangers get someone they would have for more than 1 year

big daddy russ
11-06-2007, 03:27 PM
The trade market is starting to open, but that is probably the only place you'll find a quality starter this offseason. Johan Santana is going to be shopped by the Twins at the GM meetings, the Devil Rays are thinking about opening up to talks about Scott Kazmir depending on how well things go with Santana, and the Giants said they'd be open to getting rid of Tim Lincecum (2006 no. 1 pick... supposed to have a dominating fastball and curve) for a big bat.

Bull19
11-06-2007, 03:29 PM
curt signed a one year deal with boston this morning

crzyjournalist03
11-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The trade market is starting to open, but that is probably the only place you'll find a quality starter this offseason. Johan Santana is going to be shopped by the Twins at the GM meetings, the Devil Rays are thinking about opening up to talks about Scott Kazmir depending on how well things go with Santana, and the Giants said they'd be open to getting rid of Tim Lincecum (2006 no. 1 pick... supposed to have a dominating fastball and curve) for a big bat.

I don't know if anybody could afford to give up what it would cost to get Lincecum, but if the Giants are willing to shop Matt Cain, I'd be all over that!

big daddy russ
11-06-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't know if anybody could afford to give up what it would cost to get Lincecum, but if the Giants are willing to shop Matt Cain, I'd be all over that!
Supposedly, Santana and the remaining year on his contract will go for more. I know he's a great pitcher, but he's not as dominant as some past pitchers (look at Pedro and Randy during the 'roid years, Maddux in the mid-90's, etc.) and RealGM.com said that he's not likely to sign an extension. Something to do with him not wanting Boras to represent him anymore, don't know exactly why or how that's working out, but I'd rather have a guy like Kazmir that you know you'll have for another three years, could potentially be every bit as dominant as Santana, and could come at a smaller price. Key word there-could.

Wish I knew more about Lincecum. I know he was called up this year and had a decent year for a 23-year-old, but have never actually seen him. Either way, with the thin market for pitchers and the kind of players we're talking about, they'll command quite a bit.

crzyjournalist03
11-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Wish I knew more about Lincecum. I know he was called up this year and had a decent year for a 23-year-old, but have never actually seen him. Either way, with the thin market for pitchers and the kind of players we're talking about, they'll command quite a bit.

I saw him pitch 2-3 times on television, and I can tell you that I'd be concerned with his durability...he's listed around 5'9", and I'd be shocked if he's that big without his cleats. He's getting an awful lot out of a very small package, and I could easily see him wearing down very quickly and having major injury issues. His build is very similar to Billy Koch, who had about two great seasons before blowing his body up and never being the same.

g$$
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM

Lincecum is legit. Spent most of year in bigs this year with SF. Great arm, funky delivery, & filthy curveball. Small frame worries scouts long-term though.

Would love to see Astros go after Kazmir or Santana, but long-shots for sure. Would have to give up too much & we don't have much to give (Pence, Towles, wish Lidge, Patton, etc.). Berkman, Lee, & Oswalt are off-limits.

g$$
11-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I saw him pitch 2-3 times on television, and I can tell you that I'd be concerned with his durability...he's listed around 5'9", and I'd be shocked if he's that big without his cleats. He's getting an awful lot out of a very small package, and I could easily see him wearing down very quickly and having major injury issues. His build is very similar to Billy Koch, who had about two great seasons before blowing his body up and never being the same.

Great post & agreed.

Agreed on Matt Cain too. Special arm & young.

big daddy russ
11-06-2007, 09:21 PM
That sucks. Just looked up his bio. He's listed at 5'9" 175#, but when I was 5'9" 175# I was a lot stouter than he was. Probably closer to 160.

But then again, they said the same thing about Billy Wagner, too. I know, Wagner's a closer and only pitches 70 innings a year, but he's held up. Not saying that I'm willing to mortgage my future for a starter who's that small, just saying that if he doesn't bust...

slpybear the bullfan
11-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Is Papelbon finally going to get moved to the rotation, or are they going to keep him in the 'pen next year?

Remains in the pen... They feel buckholtz and some of the other young 'ens can take step up and take care of the rotation.

crzyjournalist03
11-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm just glad that the Rangers were able to pry away Gabbard from the Sox last year! :thumbsup: